Page 670 of 1257 FirstFirst ... 1705706206606686696706716726807207701170 ... LastLast
Results 13,381 to 13,400 of 25137
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Literally the best armour I have ever seen.

That troll pic is cracking me up.

Made some great progress in Dark Souls this weekend. Managed to get through 5 bosses including Nito and Seath the Scaleless. I've pumped my vitality level well up and the bosses just seem so easy now. These deities don't stand a chance and I can kill them on my first or second try. Compare that to the start of the game when I swear I must have gone up against the likes of Gargoyles, Quelagg or Ormstein & Smough dozens of times before finally besting them.

I must admit, from reading about other people describing it, it sounded like exactly the sort of thing I wouldn't enjoy. I have been very impressed with the whole experience though and I feel beating it completely solo will be one of my greatest gaming achievements. Just don't know what I can play after that would hold even a fraction of enjoyment that Dark Souls offered.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    NG+ time for you.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    Ormstein & Smough
    "Need humanity"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    About to start my 23rd attempt on the gamebook Creature of Havoc.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Fallout New Vegas time and Haversam thinks the "Journey to the Great Beyond" is about to go in progress and insist that I would go up and pull the lever for them ghouls to go to space/crash-land to Novac. The thing is, I've done that hours ago and he still gave me the same responce. A bug, probably but this is just annoying. I think I should've killed the Great Khans who were holed-up in Boulder City. I know they're bros but it seems that I got out of character when I started negociating for their freedom and the hostages because I'm essentially playing as a rash, hot-tempered 10END tank who's out for blood, wanting Benny's head on a stick.

OTT, I might start a new character as well, just for fun. I might try to do a pure science-geek who's great with energy weapons but good-natured (won't kill anything unless it's self-defence and all that). A complete opposite of what my character is right now. Probably would roll a female this time because eh, why not? Never rolled a female in NV before and playing as one in Fallout 2 was much more fun as a result.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Also: Arcanum has not aged well.
    Filthy lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    System Shock 2 is still scary. ><
    Out of curiosity, what build did you go for? In my experience, the scariness factor of System Shock 2 is inversely proportional to how powerful your character is. Going through the cargo bays on Engineering with nothing but a wrench to back you up is incredibly terrifying.

I'm revisiting Torchlight 2, playing as a shotgun Outlander. The last time I tried this I gave up halfway through because my build became a chore to play. Hopefully this time around it'll go a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    About to start my 23rd attempt on the gamebook Creature of Havoc.
    Epic. I have this somewhere and now wish to find it. I have most of them from that era I believe, the toughest being some kind of Underworld-alike that I never managed to finish. Will see if I can find it/it's name.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    After it's appearance in the article on roguelikes in The Sunday Papers this week and having heard good things about it in the past I've started playing ToME: Tales of Multiple Eviscerations (http://te4.org/).

It's good but as a lengthy rouguelike I think it'll suffer the same fate as Dredmor did and be abandoned after a few shots. While the gradual unlocking of new starting characters to see their different challenges is a hook to start playing again, given the length of playtime that's required even to make a tiny bit of progress and the fact that I'll find the initial stages I've already got the idea of rather tedious, I doubt I'll be playing it again. I appreciate that they've made the effort to have different characters start in different areas but as far as I can tell to have a chance of not dying horribly to bosses you need to grind out the the other areas anyway to be of sufficient level to take them on.

However I'm having great fun with it so far. The extra lives on normal difficult are appreciate as they prevent all your work being undone for doing something a little stupid but not ridiculously so (hello suffocating sandworm tunnels of doom) not been punished too heavily in the first instance. There's certainly a lot going on in it and it's got the feeling of trepidation that makes rougelikes a great if nailbiting experience (for one of the first times in a game I ran away from an encounter, taking the game's hint that the enemies in a mausoleum I was trapped in were beyond my abilities to cope with and teleporting the heck out of there without doing my usual OCD opening of every door I can.

My current character is about level 11 or 12 now and has some pretty sweet equipment and skills to help him out. I'm hoping I can eke out survival for quite a while as it's going to be a while before I can go back to the game but even if I died within minutes I'd still have got my money's worth (the princely sum of 0 pounds, but I'll buy it on Steam if it gets greenlit) with it.

Highly recommended for a shot - but not a game that will grasp me in the long term, I just tend to find the shorter form of most roguelike-likes (or whatever we wish to call them today) somewhat ironically more consuming of my time.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    You know how at the start of the level you can drink in the map, just walk around looking at the ebb and flow? There are ways you can use physics, sometimes even sloped ceilings to create ridiculous combo kills which generate so much more money than simply snubbing the enemy out with force. That money can be used to lay the brutality behind the finesse traps as a fail safe, then hurrah 5 stars.
    I should hope I know that; I've played all but two levels. On some of the later levels I have gotten five skulls on the first try, but some of the middle levels seem like they were designed in part for traps you don't yet have, which irks me. It's also possible that I suck. I've compared my scores to top scores, and it's clear there's a huge amount of room for improvement. I do get combos, of course, but I tend to lay out traps with efficiency in mind. I did not realize I should be building for combos as a strategy. Thanks for the tip.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Great Britain is no more: England and Wales (and Gibralter) are in the hands of Napoleonic France while Scotland and Ireland have been reborn as French Protectorates. My only wish is to have been able to face Nelson on the high seas in a fair fight, but it would have taken me 15-20 turns to get a fleet with ships that would have had a chance of hurting the ones he started the game with

Hannover are also a free nation under the benevolent protection of France, who keep the Prussian bogeymen away. In fact there's a nice strip of buffer states between France and Prussia, all allied to my glorious nation and treated as equals.

Large Austrian army left Vienna and I've trapped it in Bavaria while Michel Nay lays siege to Vienna, currently defended by Karl Philipp Schwartzenberg and 2500 men. The other army might make it back but will take one hell of a mauling to get past Monat. Schwarzenberg definitely will come out and attack, which will be the big battle. And Bonaparte himself, who is otherwise ensuring no Prussian scum try to take Prague, is on hand to race down with his portion of La Grande Arme.

Napoleon Total War is really rather good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    some of the middle levels seem like they were designed in part for traps you don't yet have, which irks me.
    Completely, don't try and 5 skull them until you have all the traps.

Also many top scorers are hackers.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 12-03-2013 at 12:25 AM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Napoleon Total War is really rather good.
    It is indeed. The mini-campaigns are just splendidly done.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Every time I die in The Witcher now and I realise I haven't saved even as little as 10 minutes prior, I feel the need to close the game and find something else to do. I really want to play this, I really do, except everything narratively just feels really nebulous, like I'm not really involved with everything despite the fact I am. I've played the same segment three times today, just killing a camp full of dudes then wondering a swamp and I keep forgetting to save and I keep bemoaning having to wade through that snore-infested area. I also don't want to start the sequel without having completed this because, y'know...it's the sequel.