Page 678 of 1206 FirstFirst ... 1785786286686766776786796806887287781178 ... LastLast
Results 13,541 to 13,560 of 24119
    Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Ah, no, I didn't realize that was possible. Good, that's not necessarily what I'll do but it's helpful to know it's there as an option. That frames the decision differently.
    I saw it more of kicking the 3 factions out and letting NV run itself, rather than be the boss. I wanted to try and apply freesides model across the city.

Tom j

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Ah, no, I didn't realize that was possible. Good, that's not necessarily what I'll do but it's helpful to know it's there as an option. That frames the decision differently.
    Yes, I found out sort of by accident. I don't remember if I shot the NCR leadership or just didn't help them out in some quest or did everything for Mr. House to be boss and then killed him but it's very possible.

I was really glad that option existed and you were not obliged to chose one of the three. Having said that, it's true it's not clear that this option is a possibility. Somehow for me it felt like it was the only suitable option!

Waking Mars: Sharp game, good sci-fi, great writing, and excellent voiceover work. Kudos to Randy Smith and company.

Miasmata: "You are drowning, press 'H' to learn more." Interesting game, beautiful weather, but lousy with technical issues (awful bugged-looking water, slowest fullscreen alt-tab ever, bad HDR lighting, iffy performance). This is a textbook example of why not to write your own game engine. I suspect I'm going to end up loading (abusing) saves instead of playing it properly by collecting stuff to heal, backtracking, and getting lost or stuck at night. They nailed the slow-burning horror elements though.

Dota 2: This really took me by surprise, and I'm hooked. It didn't quite click for me until I realized that all of the retro WC3 engine quirks they recreated are there because they'd been turned into elements of the game design, and that's seriously hardcore, oldschool, and awesome. Yesterday morning I was 28-28, and then had an 8 match losing streak! Some teammates really are hate-worthy ("sorry my brother was playing, I'm Russian, vodka"...), but if you aren't cheering your team on then you're doing it wrong. The in-game RPS channel needs more players, and RPS was just issued a challenge but nobody has responded. I'm lucky if I can find an RPS teammate or two even when 30 players are on.

Kerbal Space Program: I expected to try the demo and then wait for the final release, but I absolutely love KSP even as a sandbox alpha that's missing the "game" parts and bought it immediately. It is fun, accessible, smart, and has incredible mods. Learning some basic rocket science makes you a better player, and every mistake is a new lesson to learn (or a rescue mission to undertake). Version 0.19 has been out for more than 24 hours without any mention from RPS or these forums! If you haven't played KSP you have no idea how much fun you're missing out on.

Also thinking about trying Supreme Commander and the expansion again. I only gave it a few days before it got lost to the other masses of games some many years back. Probably worth a look over again

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Double post
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 18-03-2013 at 06:33 PM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    The independent, or Yes Man, ending in Fallout: New Vegas is basically a fail-safe. It ensures that you can always complete the main quest, even if you alienated all three major factions. Of course, since the game has no real way of knowing the player's motivations, it can't anticipate what you'd actually do once you seize power. As a result the independent route is the most ambiguous of them all, leaving New Vegas' fate mostly open. It's still worth doing at least once because Yes Man has some absolutely brilliant lines.

Speaking of Fallout, I've started a playthrough of the original game with a low-intelligence character. It's sadly not as fun as it was in the second game. Most NPCs will just flat-out refuse to talk to you and apart from a few funny lines you're not getting any additional content. Then again, I'm only in Junktown, so maybe there's more unique dialogue further down the road.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Sup Com suffers from "mechanically fine but strategically dull" -itus. It's not rare.

Play Skirmish with a friend in coop for the most fun according to science.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TomxJ View Post
    I saw it more of kicking the 3 factions out and letting NV run itself, rather than be the boss. I wanted to try and apply freesides model across the city.

Tom j
    Which leaves open the question as to whether it can run itself of course, without just becoming a vacuum for someone to step into, or just another contested site brimming over with conflict.

I wandered off to Utah sort of by accident so I hope New Vegas doesn't kick off while I'm away.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Sup Com suffers from "mechanically fine but strategically dull" -itus. It's not rare.

Play Skirmish with a friend in coop for the most fun according to science.
    Hmm, I would do but I enjoy campaigns / story modes etc. Plus I don't know anyone with it per say.

Is Sup Com 2 better for a story?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    More Dark Souls and arrived at Sen's Fortress, those damn lizardmen and Pendulum guillotines really start to piss me off, and those at the end on the very narrow walkway, geez.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Currently playing Ace Combat. Its a bit lite but its good for just relaxing and gunning down rebels.

I still havent finish KOTOR as the widescreen hack is not always working.

Also I finished Hitman Absolution, I dont know if I should keep it in my limited drive as I want to install KoA but I still want to play contract mode.
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Which leaves open the question as to whether it can run itself of course, without just becoming a vacuum for someone to step into, or just another contested site brimming over with conflict.
    You know, New Vegas: Bounties, (the second one) touches on that subject alot.

Got unstuck in Hard Reset. Now on the last boss of the main campaign. Stuck again.

Won my first 2 Frozen synapse games in the RPS league this season!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffer View Post
    Hmm, I would do but I enjoy campaigns / story modes etc. Plus I don't know anyone with it per say.

Is Sup Com 2 better for a story?
    Well, it has one, which its predecessor mostly doesn't. On the other hand, it's pretty bad. Voice acting is not so great, the script is dull and the story barely manages to make sense or fit the characters. The campaign missions are fine. Not terrible, not great either. It lets you play with some neat toys, so it works there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    More Dark Souls and arrived at Sen's Fortress, those damn lizardmen and Pendulum guillotines really start to piss me off, and those at the end on the very narrow walkway, geez.
    Oh man, Sen's Funtress, the memories... Love that place. Good luck!

Finished Mark of the ninja. Amazing game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I stopped for a little while but I think I'm re-re-re-hooked on Borderlands 2 again. Sigh. In all my 400 hours I still haven't gotten Axton to level 50, yet I have two level 50 Salvadors and I've had a level 32 Axton waiting to be used for about a month, maybe two, but that was a co-op game with a friend who hasn't played (anything but Killing Floor) in ages... So I took a level 8 bank mule and within three sessions got him up to level 26. Not that anyone cares as no one here seems to give the slightest damn about BL2, but I care, damnit!

Network Hub
    My brain is curdling at the idea of playing BL2 for 400 hours.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    400 hours really isn't that much if you like lootfests.

Quote Originally Posted by dsch View Post
    My brain is curdling at the idea of playing BL2 for 400 hours.
    Yeah, I like the game a lot, but 400 hours...How many times can you complete the story in that amount of time?

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Just got to that point. I decided to take Alvin, then the murdering started, so I ran off and let them get on with it. When the fight was over, I returned to loot the bodies and pick off the survivors, leaving no witnesses. Truly, I am a paragon of virtue.

I'm going to resist the temptation of loading a save to see if I like the other outcome better, because I'm very curious to see how this is going to turn out, given that I've sided with the elves at every point until now. I even gave them all my mutton! But this time I decided there was no helping them.

Also, if I'd known that I was leaving the lakeside region with Aerondight and Berengar's sword, I wouldn't have spent thousands of orens on sword upgrades just hours before. Oh well.