Page 679 of 1259 FirstFirst ... 1795796296696776786796806816897297791179 ... LastLast
Results 13,561 to 13,580 of 25174
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Just got to that point. I decided to take Alvin, then the murdering started, so I ran off and let them get on with it. When the fight was over, I returned to loot the bodies and pick off the survivors, leaving no witnesses. Truly, I am a paragon of virtue.

I'm going to resist the temptation of loading a save to see if I like the other outcome better, because I'm very curious to see how this is going to turn out, given that I've sided with the elves at every point until now. I even gave them all my mutton! But this time I decided there was no helping them.

Also, if I'd known that I was leaving the lakeside region with Aerondight and Berengar's sword, I wouldn't have spent thousands of orens on sword upgrades just hours before. Oh well.
    What "happens" to Alvin-if I can put it like that-is one of the most curious narrative elements I've ever encountered in any game. It's a huge reveal yet one you could very easily miss. I think a lot of people probably do, and have no idea what I'm talking about here.

Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    What "happens" to Alvin-if I can put it like that-is one of the most curious narrative elements I've ever encountered in any game. It's a huge reveal yet one you could very easily miss. I think a lot of people probably do, and have no idea what I'm talking about here.
    Unfortunately, I inadvertently spoiled it for myself by looking up details of the quest I was doing on the wiki. But so far I haven't encountered anything that makes it seem likely that is the case.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    I thought it was pretty obvious. They hinted at it more than once.

Right. Playing as a science-geek early on in NV, not a good idea. I'm back to playing as a tank again and honestly, it's much more fun, especially when I got a Power Fist. I still don't get why killing a few Bighorners would up the karma rating. I mean, I'm not trying to play as a good guy here. Not now.

OTOH, I'm gonna start playing XCOM again after a long hiatus tomorrow. I think I'm gonna ditch the Ghost-Archangel combo. Not working well aside from the annoying bomb disposals, which worked pretty well. Last time I played it, I'm in a middle of kicking their ass after they landed somewhere. Abductor-class UFO and expecting a couple of Sectopods. Not too rough since the Colonel gets two rockets that deals twelve damage a pop vs. robots. Here we go
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Finished Mark of the ninja yesterday. It was by no means a bad game, I always welcome any sneaking around or puzzle-solving game, but I found this one to be quite bland and uninspired, and the lack of any meaningful challenge didn't help either.
    Last edited by SirDavies; 19-03-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    I thought it was pretty obvious. They hinted at it more than once.
    I agree that it's not subtle, more just..weird. People miss it in the sense that they would pass it over as not being credible, and thus not actually a thing, I guess is what I meant.

I think The Witcher 2 works on account of that sort of thing being dialled back and just getting a million very ambitious basis things right instead. The ambition is in the professionalism and polish of the scale attempted rather than the massiveness of the ideas, which is very much the first game's raison d'etre.
    Last edited by sonson; 19-03-2013 at 06:28 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Yeah, one problem was that most people approaching The Witcher 1 (myself included) had no real background on the books, so we didn't understand the magic system and what is "normal".

By The Witcher 2, it was a lot easier to follow as we had all been given "Geralt 101" as it were.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

I'm starting to think FTL should be renamed to FML.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    Yeah, I like the game a lot, but 400 hours...How many times can you complete the story in that amount of time?
    I, too, find this somewhat incomprehensible. It's an enormously fun game, but the characters don't play that differently from one another and the replayability is really pretty low. Once through on normal and again on true vault hunter and I'd be surprised if I ever touch the main game again. I'm working through the Hammerlock DLC with a friend and having a good time, and I'll certainly play any new content that comes along, but I can't see the fun in replaying the main game yet again unless there's some way to make it a truly different experience.

Network Hub
    I'm behind on posting here, so it's going to look like I've been super-efficient with game completions, but... no, not so much.

Finished:
    Mark of the Ninja - I blazed through this game in only two sittings. Not that it's a particularly long game anyway, but it grabbed me and held on quick. Amazingly well-done stealth mechanics, and I can't wait to dive into the just-announced DLC.

The Path - Uhh, okay. Not my style of game, but I can understand how someone would like it. Someone who hates fun, that is.

DmC Devil May Cry - I have to admit I hated the new style for Dante when this game was originally announced, but I was never up-in-arms about it. First of all, the presentation, story, and characterizations were unexpectedly polished. It was really interesting to see where Dante and Vergil so drastically diverged and why. Ninja Theory also impressed me with the fighting mechanics here. They really GET this series, and I'm eager to jump back into the Vergil DLC and some higher difficulty playthroughs as soon as I can.

In Progress:
    Sleeping Dogs - It's always been MY FAULT when I quit GTA-like open-world games, because I get focused on a clearing all of a single type of mission on the map, but then burn out on it, take a break, and never return to the game. It's happened on more than one occasion, so I am trying hard to force myself to mix up the mission selections more. The gameplay itself is fantastic though. I may actually like the combat more than Rocksteady's Batman series, but I'm not deeply enough into the combat upgrades to know for sure.

Also getting caught up on PS3 titles I've never played since I just bought that console, but I won't bore RPS-goers with non-master race entries :)

I have managed to finally finish Dark Souls and feel such a sense of accomplishment from getting to the end of such a hard game and killing all the bosses solo!

It has given me a taste for hard games where the odds are stacked against me so I thought I would give XCOM another shot on Classic Ironman. I got quite far into Classic before but didn't realise Ironman was an option I had to enable so found myself savescumming against my better judgement. Ironman makes things a lot more tense and fun but I find it hard to concentrate after a long day at work and it's annoying to have to restart the whole thing if I have a string of bad luck.

I'm finding the second wave options make the game a lot more interesting, I'm playing with "Not Everyone is Born Equal" option and the one that levels up soldiers with random stats make the game far more interesting. Hiring new squad members is a lot better and more tempting when there's a chance I get some good starting stats. I've also played a disable the bomb mode that wasn't in there when I played before, was pretty fun and I liked how it encouraged you to push forward quickly rather than sit about in overwatch.

Playing Super Hexagon on the commute to work on my Android has also inspired me to pick up VVVVVV once again. I didn't get that far into it before as I found Super Meat Boy, which was released close to it, had far better precision in its platforming. However, I have reached "The End" in SMB and know I can't make any more progress so VVVVVV is a good substitute. I especially like the hub overworld and the games soundtrack is certainly one of the better ones I have heard.
    Last edited by Skull; 19-03-2013 at 11:29 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Freakin' New Vegas annoys me so much it deserves a second rant! There isn't even the most basic motivation supplied upfront to do the majority of quests, being unable to ask what the exact payment for a job is or even ask for a payment at all. Sometimes after clearing a nest of nasty beasties my employer just shrugs and says "that's great kid, now get outta here, ya bother me." FUCK YOU, PAY ME!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Freakin' New Vegas annoys me so much it deserves a second rant! There isn't even the most basic motivation supplied upfront to do the majority of quests, being unable to ask what the exact payment for a job is or even ask for a payment at all. Sometimes after clearing a nest of nasty beasties my employer just shrugs and says "that's great kid, now get outta here, ya bother me." FUCK YOU, PAY ME!
    I started having the same problem with Skyrim. I had started playing it again hoping to level up a new character with the intention of getting the Dragonborn DLC.

So few people would actually pay me for the tasks they asked me to do that I eventually got browned off with it again. "Oh thanks for going to the other side of the fucking map, to some arsehole ruins filled with murderous bandits to recover my grans necklace that I gambled away and probably will again." Rewards? No? FUCK YOU I'LL TAKE MY OWN!
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Hi There...
    I wanted to make some advertisement for another really cool and motivated Turn-based Strategy-Game on Kickstarter.com
    called "Battle Worlds Kronos"... it`s an inofficial sequel to the famous Battle Isle and History Line Series with modern grafics and AI...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...tegy-revisited

So plz try out the kickstarter-Page, and if you like it, plz back it and tell all your friends about... THX !

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Looks good men. Will spread the love around.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Looks good men. Will spread the love around.
    Thx a lot, plz tell all your friends and guys here about it and perhaps there is a real review possible here at www.rockpapershotgun.com? Getting detailed material from KingArts wouldnt be a problem, and their kickstarter-page is quite good, also their facebook-page could be interesting...

http://www.facebook.com/BattleWorldsKronos...

just tell me how to get a review here ;-) Or tell KingArts on their page... ;-)

Thx and kind regards!

Last edited by BlueEyeDoc; 20-03-2013 at 12:45 AM. Reason: another picture

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    Yeah, I like the game a lot, but 400 hours...How many times can you complete the story in that amount of time?
    I've done it about 12 times now, but a fast, legitimate run to level 50 probably takes about 20-24 hours. In all honesty I couldn't tell you why I play it as much as I do, but I do find it hard to get into games where the story matters and is quite long. I tend to get sidetracked and once it goes beyond a week away from a certain game I have to start all over again or ignore the fact that I don't know what's going on, I lost 24 hours of Mass Effect progress that way.

But you guys are right! Now that I've finished my 12th playthrough (this evening) I'm going to move on to something else. I don't know what yet but I'd like it to be something meaty, maybe I'll start Mass Effect again, again... Or maybe a Star Wars game?

I finally made it through Might & Magic 8. The entire last part was incredibly boring and tedious. I had to force myself over the last couple of days and even doing the dishes was a more exciting alternative at times. There wasn't even a boss fight at the end or something. That's typical for M&M games but here it just felt incredibly anticlimatic.
    Lady Anthile also spent most of her time being insane. That sounds worse than it is because it boosts your physical stats and lowers the mental ones. Just like in real life.
    In the end...
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I started having the same problem with Skyrim. I had started playing it again hoping to level up a new character with the intention of getting the Dragonborn DLC.

So few people would actually pay me for the tasks they asked me to do that I eventually got browned off with it again. "Oh thanks for going to the other side of the fucking map, to some arsehole ruins filled with murderous bandits to recover my grans necklace that I gambled away and probably will again." Rewards? No? FUCK YOU I'LL TAKE MY OWN!
    Which quests are those? I always find there’s an option to say something along the lines of “Why should I help you” or “Let’s discuss payment” or whatever, so long as your speech and barter are high enough. If they aren’t I guess it makes sense that you’re not in a position to negotiate. I have quite an active imagination though, which probably helps to fill in the blanks and so I might be ‘seeing’ things on occasion which owe more to my roleplaying the character than what the game is saying.

On one or two occasions I have gone back a few saves when something has revealed itself as being different to what was advertised. I started the Honest Hearts campaign after just getting into the main post-Benny plotline in the hope that it would flesh out some more Legion stuff, which would have worked in regards to where my character was at that point, but after an hour or so it just felt irrelevant so I loaded back a save. It took me another hour or so to find my bearings as it where and get back into what was going on, but in regards to my own personal experience it would have ruined my immersion and the pacing of my own narrative if I had spent 40 days in Utah for no reason.

For the most part I disagree that there is no motive though. NV is really two games, a classic, choice filled progressive campaign, and a sort of action survival simulator, you just have to choose which one you want to prioritise. There is more than enough on offer for each respective path, but the two occasionally butt up against each other and you go from heavy dialogue and character to common courier tasks.

Sidequests are for building XP or for exploring/bounty hunting/dicking around, and will largely be fairly orientated towards facilitating that rather than broader RPG mechanics. They will probably ask you to go somewhere far away and only make sense in a vacuum. There is no real purpose to you killing stuff other than giving you that purpose. For that reason I would only really invest in them if I was roleplaying as a survivalist mercenary type who is more bothered about pay and working for a living than he is the fate of the world.

It's really annoying for example that if you want Cass in a main quest playthrough you have to travel either through Deathclaws, or backwards, to get her. If time is of the essence in resolving the politcal situation going back to the Mojave outpost to do a drinking contest really ruins the pacing. Likewise going to Black Mountain is entirley pointless. But if you're all about the jounrey rather than the destination they're great fun. And that freedom of being able to go anywhere feels more freeing after the dramatic constraints of the plot too. So I think both work, but it's hard to meld them.

I think from the sounds of it it's only The Witcher 3 which is even trying to offer a third way of making both plot and sand-boxing actual viably integral to each other.

Activated Node
    I gave The Witcher 2 a shot, but became about as bored with it as the first game. That's probably some sort of cardinal sin around here, so forgive my poor taste.

Just beginning my first ever pure mage playthrough (!) in Skyrim, so I can give Dragonborn a whirl with a fresh character. I'm RP'ing my way around a lot of the base content, since I've played much of that to death, just doing the bare essentials in Winterhold and some useful loot quests.

And I snapped up Amazon's deal on XCom, which I'll have a poke around shortly. Decided to skip Steam's preorder deal on Bioshock: Infinite and see how the reviews go. Will probably pick it up discounted some time later in the year. Seems prices get slashed aggressively in the games industry nowadays, so I'm saving a tidy sum playing games ~6 months behind.