Page 695 of 1184 FirstFirst ... 195595645685693694695696697705745795 ... LastLast
Results 13,881 to 13,900 of 23666
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Started the Darkness II but got abit distracted by all the things flailing around at the side the side of the screen (Spoiler: The Darkness). Will try it later when I'm feeling less persnickety. Production is great, voice acting is great, mechnaics are limited but implemented wel, seems like a fun comic romp

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    Assassin's Creed:
    Padded
    Padding, you mean.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Theme Hospital and Syndicate and Syndicate Wars and Mob Rule.

One of the things I've noticed, consequently, after the short-but-pretty playthroughs of Tomb Raider and the endless manshoots with waist-high walls or management games where it's near impossible to fail, that these old games actually have a modicum of challenge to them that doesn't appear to exist nowadays.

Simply put, they have failstates, and I actually see those failstates. Do you realize how long it's been since I've had to, say, restart a level? It's been a while.

Playing Mob Rule on hard without cheats is a three-way balancing act that - while cartoony and fun - doesn't baby me. And because the computer is playing by largely the same rules, I can destroy it through the various and creative ways it can destroy me, which actually rewards figuring things out.

This is in stark contrast to a number of modern games' bad habits of introducing a new tool, teaching you how to use it, and then forgetting it ever existed.
    If GOG had the American Revolt expansion for Syndicate you'd soon appreciate modern games again.

Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Started the Darkness II but got abit distracted by all the things flailing around at the side the side of the screen (Spoiler: The Darkness). Will try it later when I'm feeling less persnickety. Production is great, voice acting is great, mechnaics are limited but implemented wel, seems like a fun comic romp
    I started and went pretty far in it. (it's a short game) what's nice is that the fights gets trickier and more interesting. Nice game, different from the first one but still a good comic adaptation.

For me, i was playing the Darkness 2 also. But got distracted by Dark Souls, a game that I juged as: not for me when I tried, and failed playing it on Xbox.

It's probably one of the best game I have played in years, But i'll be glad when it's behind me :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    If GOG had the American Revolt expansion for Syndicate you'd soon appreciate modern games again.
    I remember American Revolt from my younger days. Now that was a "you want hardcore? We'll SHOW you hardcore" add-on.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I remember American Revolt from my younger days. Now that was a "you want hardcore? We'll SHOW you hardcore" add-on.
    There aren't enough dolls in the world to show what American Revolt did to my younger self. I mean, I know that I wasn't the best at Syndicate - mainly because I was about 8 - but I could often hold my own. S:AR though might as well have thrown up a Mission Failed screen during the installation and saved everyone the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Ah, the ol' baiting tactic. I used that a lot early game and you know, I never managed to apply it in games beyond XCOM.
    It depends on the AI it seems. XCOM's isn't clearly designed to be on the offensive most of the time, so it's quite poor at it.

Hey all,
    First post here. Coming off a long period of working all day, every day, and excited to catch up on a huge backlog of games. I tend to wait until stuff I want is on sale so I am usually a little behind whatever is the latest and greatest.

I just finished up Mass Effect 3 and pretty much loved it all the way through. Imported my badass female Shepard and saved the galaxy.

I am now getting back into Deus Ex, which I have owned for a while but only played the first couple hours. ME3 definitely put me in the mood for that sort of thing: Well-storied action game with lots of interesting conversations in between the shooty parts.

I also took some people's advice and finally played Crusader Kings 2. There are a few hours of learning curve, but I highly recommend it if you have at all considered it. If its your first playthrough, play as Duke Murchad in Ireland and follow along a bit with a Let's Play.

Network Hub
    A few hours into Richard and Alice. Really well written, and utterly engaging so far.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Padding, you mean.
    In the essence that the first two hours could have sufficed for the whole game before repeatedly doing the same thing over and over in the same damn locations, yep.
    "PRAISE BE SALADIN!"
    "Can you spare a few coins?"
    "THIEF! You are FILTH!"

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    There aren't enough dolls in the world to show what American Revolt did to my younger self. I mean, I know that I wasn't the best at Syndicate - mainly because I was about 8 - but I could often hold my own. S:AR though might as well have thrown up a Mission Failed screen during the installation and saved everyone the time.
    Commandoes 1 from the Paris mission onwards and its expansion pack for me.

I still love the game though but its a bitter kind of love.

I'm still in the Factory Beyond Good & Evil and I'm stuck with Double H trying to find a fuse. The only fuse I know is the one I use for the elevator and can't seem to take it with all the electricity surrounding it.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

In the essence that the first two hours could have sufficed for the whole game before repeatedly doing the same thing over and over in the same damn locations, yep.
    "PRAISE BE SALADIN!"
    "Can you spare a few coins?"
    "THIEF! You are FILTH!"
    I loved the setting but the game turned into a drudge after the first assassination. However having a friend along made it much more fun. This is why AC II is still one of my favourite games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    "PRAISE BE SALADIN!"
    What's a Saladin?

It's probably some kind of arabian salad, if I'm not mistaken
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's Ṣalāḥ al-Dīn Yūsuf ibn Ayyūb but with some branding applied ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    What's a Saladin?
    Oh no, you didn't.
    New! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Not so new anymore! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    What's a Saladin?
    A campaign in Age of Empires 2.

Tried the new difficulty level in Borderlands 2. They might as well call it True Bullet Sponge mode. Enemies have up to 4 times the HP of TVHM. The situation was pretty bad before, but it's ridiculous now. Almost the same as Bioshocks 1999 mode.

tl;dr: Gah, modern shooters.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eRa View Post
    True Bullet Sponge mode
    Curiosity: What's Inside The Cube is actually the unveiling of a new super-difficulty level for FPS games. The Cube is the first enemy.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.