Page 698 of 1238 FirstFirst ... 1985986486886966976986997007087487981198 ... LastLast
Results 13,941 to 13,960 of 24742
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    I don't know why I keep coming back to 1000 Amps. I pick it up every 6 months or so and always reach a similar level of disgust with the game's mechanics and level design. It's clever, and unique, no doubt, but it's also aggressively un-fun.
    I'm with you there.

I often wonder how many people don't realise that you get ever-more ability to jump as you find the doodahs - which makes unlocking other places possible.

The problem with that - even if you do realise it's the mechanic - it's never totally obvious where you should go next. Is that jump impossible in your current state or have you not quite perfected-it yet?

Then there's it's knack of making you run around 5 rooms to retry a jump, lifts which require PERFECT timing to avoid moving stuff and those horrible invisible moving block resetters and I think it just tips over from 'challenging' to 'frustrating'.

The original Flash version also had a terrible map and the redone C++ version's map is poor in different ways. I guess it's a limitation of the design that would have meant a lot of work to fix but it's a shame because maps in Metroid games are pretty key to your success.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I really enjoyed a thousand amps. The vast majority of the maps are doable when you reach them, and it was nice to play a mostly peaceful Metroidvania game. The hidden rooms were really cool, but hard to get to.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So now I've returned to Rage - I game I gave-up on because I cannot work-out how it's playable on a pad but requires EVERY FUCKING KEY ON MY KEYBOARD to play on PC otherwise - it also does the 'you have to buy ammo' thing which sucks in every game which does it.

I'm not far in - I have to use an RC Car to blow-up a bomb-cache and it's impossible - the car hasn't enough range without me standing someone I get killed time after time by enemies or seemingly endless other RC Cars which I have no defence to...

It can fuck off

Doom 4 delayed? Maybe they're waiting for more keys on keyboards? :)

Hooked by Dark souls. The game design is excellent. Non linear progression is excellent. The setting is amazing.

RPGs have lots to learn from this game leveling system and weapon system...

I don't understand some lag spikes in some area though...

Still playing Persona 4 golden on the vita too. I am 4 month in I think still 8 to go.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayk View Post
    Still playing Persona 4 golden on the vita too. I am 4 month in I think still 8 to go.
    Just to give you some perspective, my true ending run ended at around the 76h mark.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    2/3s of the way through Mass Effect (again) as part of a plan to play the entire trilogy in one go, with DLC for ME2&3 that I've never tried. (As well as the extended ending for ME3)

Despite not needing to, and just trying to get through the story, I can't stop myself doing the sidequests. I can't help spending hours bouncing around in the fucking Mako. I'm a sidequest addict. A completionistaholic. :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I even did all but the last part of the Alliance Onyxia quest (original) by hook/crook/cheating/social engineering - that was fun! :)
    It was fun! The Onyxia quest-lines, which I got to do on both Horde and Alliance, were great in both style and scope. Yes - it was sometimes annoying to organize, but here I am, almost nine years later, still thinking fondly of going to Blackrock Depths and other corners of the world with up to ten other people tackling content that was quite challenging indeed.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Then there's it's knack of making you run around 5 rooms to retry a jump, lifts which require PERFECT timing to avoid moving stuff and those horrible invisible moving block resetters and I think it just tips over from 'challenging' to 'frustrating'.
    The original Flash version also had a terrible map and the redone C++ version's map is poor in different ways. I guess it's a limitation of the design that would have meant a lot of work to fix but it's a shame because maps in Metroid games are pretty key to your success.
    Nailed it. Fuck those things. The levels get downright intolerable when you have to keep bumbling through darkened rooms, to get to the darkened room you accidentally fell out of, so you can go back and light up the rooms you just ran through. I ended up giving up on a room where those horrid little bastards ate a chunk out of a necessary conveyor belt that refused to come back, rendering the screen (seemingly) impossible.

(I meant to ask if the game got some sort of redesign since the last time I loaded it up. I don't recall seeing a map at all before.)

As long as we're on the subject of frustrations, I got Republic Commando as far as a widescreen fix, a few control tweaks and the "New Game" button before it crashed on me. Apparently I'm going to need to install it all over again, only this time by running Setup.exe manually instead of letting Autorun do its thing. Couple this with the fact that I need to leave the disk in the drive every time I want to play it, and I suddenly don't want to play anymore.

That endeavor failed, I've been spending my non-DotA 2 time with my PSP. Mostly Yggdra Union, which plays like a weird combination of Fire Emblem and The Last Remnant. Could be worth grabbing a GBA emulator if that sounds like your forte; it's surprisingly deep under its carapace of animu and two-button gameplay. It feels like Sting first set out to make a mechanically complex SRPG, and then went about ruthlessly tearing out sub-menus wherever they reared their ugly head.
    Last edited by sabrage; 04-04-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    That endeavor failed, I've been spending my non-DotA 2 time with my PSP. Mostly Yggdra Union, which plays like a weird combination of Fire Emblem and The Last Remnant. Could be worth grabbing a GBA emulator if that sounds like your forte; it's surprisingly deep under its carapace of animu and two-button gameplay. It feels like Sting first set out to make a mechanically complex SRPG, and then went about ruthlessly tearing out sub-menus wherever they reared their ugly head.
    That mechanically complex srpg was the sequel (sort of, it's set in the same universe) on the DS; Knights in a Nightmare.

If you don't have a DS, get it on an emulator anyway. The mouse makes no difference in the challenge the game provides - when you learn the mechanics you'll understand why - and the challenge is very, very hefty. And the story is much less animu. It's heavily influenced by European/Scandinavian folklore.

About 1000 Amps, well, it's actually pretty great, but you can't light every room you go through on your first go. Sometimes, you have to keep moving until you get un upgrade.

Shattered Haven is an interesting game - it does weird things, some of them are good and some less so - so it's typical Arcen in that respect too. If you have the remotest interest in a story-driven puzzle game it's worth a peek.
    Thanks, I didn't know this was out. (Edit: The devs' or Fastspring's dollar-to-euro exchange rate is rather advantageous - I only paid about 2.50 for what probably should have been 5.80. No idea why this should be.)

I haven't played much since burning out on Recettear a couple of weekends ago (it's nicely compulsive for a bit, but at the moment I don't see the point in dragging myself to the end after missing the 100,000 currency goal first time round).

I think I'm about ready to go back to King of Dragon Pass, as real life is throwing up similar shades-of-grey decisions and I'd like a chance to play through them. That said, tomorrow is my evening to myself, so I'll pick out something where the sound effects and/or voiceover matter.
    Last edited by Pertusaria; 04-04-2013 at 10:17 PM.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    That mechanically complex srpg was the sequel (sort of, it's set in the same universe) on the DS; Knights in a Nightmare.

If you don't have a DS, get it on an emulator anyway. The mouse makes no difference in the challenge the game provides - when you learn the mechanics you'll understand why - and the challenge is very, very hefty. And the story is much less animu. It's heavily influenced by European/Scandinavian folklore.
    Yeah, I got Yggdra Union as a free download when I bought KitK on PSP, actually. I haven't worked up the iron will for the tutorial, though. Yggdra was bad enough rolling out new concepts in the fifth mission.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    I'm sure there are still plenty of servers for BF2/142. I have to agree. Why???
    I thought about it and the reasons are: Some good friends are playing it and it's difficult to convince them of an alternative. They play a couple of games for years and unfortunately invested some money. They also rented a server recently...
    Since these friends are the only ones who play PC games and we also live in different cities, it is often the only way to play something together online after work.
    But I won't give up! Someday I'll convince them to play something decent ;)

Back to topic: I also started to work through Unity of Command (without the addon). Tough little game. And very satisfying when the tanks break through and the line holds during the counterattack :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Oh that's understandable then. It's a shame really because BF2142 was going to come to Steam. I think it was as close as they simply had to put up the version they'd made for Steam, but then Origin came along and that quickly got hush-hushed. Its release on Steam would've surely given the community a kick up the bum with more numbers, but evidently, it was not to be.