Page 701 of 1166 FirstFirst ... 201601651691699700701702703711751801 ... LastLast
Results 14,001 to 14,020 of 23315
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Just killed Benny 70 hours into New Vegas and I still haven't even explored a quarter of what the game has to offer. He walked around a corner right into the loving embrace of my hunting revolver, took three shots center mass, and went flying back against the wall like he'd just been shot out of a cannon. That guy is dead as shit.

I wonder if Cass calls you out on that if not 30 minutes ago you responded to her idea of an assassination against the two people who'd killed her employees, with 'nah, let's gather some evidence and get them arrested instead.'

Ah who cares, I'm serving her up for dinner anyway.
    Cass is a great companion, did her quest the other day, she's by far my favourite so far. Icing the Van Graffs and stealing all their gear for my own Caravan enterprise was brilliant.

I'm astonished how much new shit I keep finding in this game even when essentially retracing steps. Like how you can do exactly the same quests but just in a slightly different order, or work for another faction for a bit, and the dialogue will be about 30% different anyway even though the choices and options are exactly the same.

And it's totally seamless as well. You can go wherever you want, talk to whoever you like, treat people as you please, right from the off, and everything still falls into place in spite of how absolutely massive the calculations must have to be across the board to make that work. I've gone from being a sort of neutral good character to a ruthless business man without even registering it, and everything in the game has just fallen into place around that. My perks and specs allow me to cater to it, the main quest line gives me the opportunity to pursue the two in tandem, other factions' attitudes towards me have altered accordingly, dialogue options recognize it as well, and so on.

In terms of pure role playing, in the sense of literally playing a role, there's not a game comes close in terms of what it both offers and delivers in my opinion.

Played Lume. It's not very long (as it currently stands) but the paper cut-out graphics are lovely and the puzzles are good. Not too difficult, although one of the locks had me stumped for a bit. Worth picking up in the next sale or bundle for anyone who is at all interested in "that sort of thing".
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Just playing some oldschool shooters and Mother 3 on the side. UT99's still bloody awesome even when I play with the bots. It's good practice but without much servers available online for the game nowadays, it felt like the only fun way to play it. Doom on DOS on the other hand, while still fun, I struggle a lot with the keyboard-centric controls. It has this effect of something that's so old, it's new to me. I admit, I haven't played much of Doom but the controls aren't something I couldn't get used to.

Mother 3 is Mother 3
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    back to BG2. I took a break from it since September last year. I took a quest with some actors, thought it would be half an hour diversion. Nah. Liberating those actors was so far the most difficult part of the game for me. Brutal nonstop fights, no space to move your characters, traps sending your party away, crazy immunities.
    It was such a painful experience I stopped playing the game. then three months later or so I tried to come back but stupid immune to slashing weapons clay golem killed half of my team. Raged quit again.

Coming back to rpgs after months of not playing is hard. You forget abilities, what quests you had done or are still active, who said what, plot elements. with time I will remember but it will be at least few more hours before I am comfortable playing this game.

so far I spent 96 hours on BGT. probably another fifty to go.

Still working through Bioshock Infinite. Going slower than normal 'cause I'm making a Let's Play.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    back to BG2. I took a break from it since September last year. I took a quest with some actors, thought it would be half an hour diversion. Nah. Liberating those actors was so far the most difficult part of the game for me. Brutal nonstop fights, no space to move your characters, traps sending your party away, crazy immunities.
    It was such a painful experience I stopped playing the game. then three months later or so I tried to come back but stupid immune to slashing weapons clay golem killed half of my team. Raged quit again.
    But if you beat that initial encounter you'll have your very first pair of Boots of Speed, and they make everything better. The bad part are all those traps that look like... ahem... gentleman sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    Played a few minutes. It was a huge camp fest and i got shot by people who i couldn't even see, and conversely i shot people who had no idea i was camped on top of some uniform colored rubble 500m away. I uninstalled after 30 minutes.
    Welcome to the point :)

AoE2HD. Well, tried to. Multiplayer is kind of unplayable at the moment. Do not buy until they patch it.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    AoE2HD. Well, tried to. Multiplayer is kind of unplayable at the moment. Do not buy until they patch it.
    Thanks for the heads-up. :)
    Check out my Bioshock Infinite playthrough!

http://youtu.be/-msV-8z4uZ0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Finished Arx the other day. Pretty sure Akbaa glitched or something since there were no demons attacking me and killing him was just a matter of kiting him while casting my hard hitting spells I never used until that fight.

Continuing Nier, still very much enjoying it. And I am definitely a fan of how so many of the quests have such downer endings. Far too few games take the route of the "Wow, that is deeply depressing" ending.

And doing some Borderlands 2 to break up the depressing. GOing through and finishing the non-timed quests I didn't bother with before and gonna do some of the DLC. Very likely to start an NG+ in True Vault Hunter. Decided to drop my Salvadore and go back to Axton. I just don't like Gunserking. At least, not compared to the awesome that is the turret. Which made the tragedy of Roland even more painful, since even his turret in BL2 was pretty crap.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Have you ever played Drakengard, Gundato?
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Have you ever played Drakengard, Gundato?
    Nah, but heard good things about it.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    But if you beat that initial encounter you'll have your very first pair of Boots of Speed, and they make everything better. The bad part are all those traps that look like... ahem... gentleman sausage.
    I gave them to Minsc so he could lure enemies and then take them one on one.
    Off to shops, need to stack up on healing potions (pretty much used my all supply) as well as get rid of all the +1 weaponry and other useless junk

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Cass is a great companion
    The companions in general are far improved over Fallout 3, which only provides you with a Fable/Diablo henchman.

I'm playing through the Dead Money DLC at the moment. Not as bad as some say, but if you haven't picked your skills well then things can get very unpleasant. It's way more survivalist than Honest Hearts, practically requiring one of three crafting skills survival/science/repair. And of course it helps further if you've got skills to compliment those skills - science with energy weapons, repair with guns. I'm kinda getting an old Resident Evil meets Stalker vibe after being dropped in this ghost town with nothing but the clothes on my back, trying to open up new areas covered in lethal gas pockets and traps.

Kinda neat actually, though I'm not sure I'd want to do it twice.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Might & Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven (from 1998).

It's a lot more grindy than I remembered, and of course the graphics and certain mechanics are badly dated, but it's actually still quite enjoyable. It sucks that the in-game map only seems to cover your current zone though, and that I threw away my old paper map for it (and the disc, and the box - younger me, I are disappoint).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    The companions in general are far improved over Fallout 3, which only provides you with a Fable/Diablo henchman.

I'm playing through the Dead Money DLC at the moment. Not as bad as some say, but if you haven't picked your skills well then things can get very unpleasant. It's way more survivalist than Honest Hearts, practically requiring one of three crafting skills survival/science/repair. And of course it helps further if you've got skills to compliment those skills - science with energy weapons, repair with guns. I'm kinda getting an old Resident Evil meets Stalker vibe after being dropped in this ghost town with nothing but the clothes on my back, trying to open up new areas covered in lethal gas pockets and traps.

Kinda neat actually, though I'm not sure I'd want to do it twice.
    The companions on the whole are all pretty solid yeah. I'd like more interaction ala Mass Effect or Dragon Age, in terms of incidental banter and just more interaction in general. For the most part they're just like a quest giving NPC who also follows you and shoots stuff. The placement of some of them isn't the most sensible either; Raul for example is in such a locked down situation that it's essentially impossible to get him without a) playing for hours to level up and b) going to an area which has nothing to do with anything really. Why is he there? Because he is. Sure there's a story to it, but it's so throw away that you could have just placed him in a town and given him a reason for being there instead. In a game where the lore and mechanics largely work in tandem going up a radioactive mountain to fight monsters that are nowhere else in the game without any pretense that it's even related to anything else going on feels stupid.

On the DLC: I heard Dead Money described as a riff on one of the old Bioware/Black Isle Dungeons, so traps and difficulty and puzzles, with a heist flavour. On the face of it that sounds pretty interesting if nothing else, but I'd be interested to see how mechanics heavy on flavorful roleplaying and light on strategic combat work in that mould. I've not done any of the DLC yet, I might have a shot after I've completed this campaign and some other games. I started Honest Hearts but it just felt odd being off in Utah while far more important stuff was going down in the Mojave. It's probably for people who have seen enough of the stock game I guess, and I'm nowhere near that point.
    Last edited by sonson; 07-04-2013 at 12:55 PM.

I'm going to replay Mass Effect 3 and check out if the ending is actually improved. Can anyone recommend what DLC I should buy (if any)? I have played through the game once when it was released but heard you miss out on quite a few decent side missions without some of the DLC. I'm not heavily invested in the franchise but would like to hear your thoughts on what is just a lazy cash grab and what actually improves the game?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    I started Honest Hearts but it just felt odd being off in Utah while far more important stuff was going down in the Mojave. It's probably for people who have seen enough of the stock game I guess, and I'm nowhere near that point.
    It's connected to what's going on in the Mojave. Though the connection does feel a bit flimsy in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    I'm going to replay Mass Effect 3 and check out if the ending is actually improved. Can anyone recommend what DLC I should buy (if any)? I have played through the game once when it was released but heard you miss out on quite a few decent side missions without some of the DLC. I'm not heavily invested in the franchise but would like to hear your thoughts on what is just a lazy cash grab and what actually improves the game?
    I haven't tried the DLCs myself, but IIRC From Ashes is the best of the bunch, with a new companion that's kind of nice. Leviathan is supposedly decent/pretty good, while Omega is the bad seed. Citadel seems pretty weird to me, but from what I hear many like it.

EDIT: Oh, and I've only played the enhanced version, but the ending didn't really bother me. Maybe that means that it's improved or maybe I was just prepared for what was to come.

Obscure Node
    Bioshock Infinite. The game started really slow for me both in narrative and gameplay. I believe I'm about halfway done now and the game has certainly picked up quite a bit. I now feel safe calling it one of the best games I've played this generation but barring some spectacular second half I'm at a loss as to why so many are calling it the best game they've ever played. If you look beyond the art direction and the narrative backdrop there really isn't much to the game mechanics and I have yet to be challenged by the combat. At this point it's been a really nice interactive book more so than a game.