Page 703 of 1181 FirstFirst ... 203603653693701702703704705713753803 ... LastLast
Results 14,041 to 14,060 of 23605
    Since Borderlands 2 keeps freezing on my pc, I have decided to give the game another go after I've upgraded my pc. I've installed Fallout 1, since I've never played it more than 10 minutes. Any essential things (no spoilers) I need to know before I start?

Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    Since Borderlands 2 keeps freezing on my pc, I have decided to give the game another go after I've upgraded my pc. I've installed Fallout 1, since I've never played it more than 10 minutes. Any essential things (no spoilers) I need to know before I start?
    Save often...

Company of Heroes 2 (MP). Decided I needed some loving RTS action, and seeing that CoH1 was the only RTS I actually enjoyed for the last few years, I just had to pre-order CoH2 to get access to the closed beta.

Awesome game, but no surprise there.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhus View Post
    Company of Heroes 2 (MP). Decided I needed some loving RTS action, and seeing that CoH1 was the only RTS I actually enjoyed for the last few years, I just had to pre-order CoH2 to get access to the closed beta.

Awesome game, but no surprise there.
    I could listen to CoH2 news all day. Gwon, spoil things for me!

How's the snow?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    I've put a couple of hours into Brutal Legend now and, after coming from The Witcher, I feel like I've gone from one good-but-flawed game to another, but I think this one is not as good and more flawed. For one, the driving feels really poor. Handling doesn't settle quite right with me and I feel like the frame rate is really indecisive. I've turned what I'm sure is Vysnc on and I know I should be able to get 60fps on this, but something just feels off and I can't put my finger on it. Combat is simple albeit not in a bland way, but the lack of a health bar is frustrating because it's then hard to know how much damage you're taking. I don't mind the quick regen health, it's not like I expected this game to have the combat depth of something like Devil May Cry, but then mix in the feeling (not that they necessarily are) that some enemies are bullet sponges and combat altogether just feels a bit flat. I am playing on hard, but I don't think that would really diminish any of these problems, at least not significantly.

The secondary quests, well, already two hours in I've had repetition and even these shown signs of not being really polished. Take that "Ambush" quest. Sometimes your allies will die really quickly, other times they'll be fine and you'll feel like you've almost not done much. The racing ones feel not entirely balanced, not to mention infused with the same vehicle issues I have above, but can be quite frustrating. Of the two I had available, the second one took a good 15 minutes because whenever I got close to the other vehicle, so much as touching it would almost send me the wrong way. Considering that at that point in the race if you flipped out you would essentially have no chance of catching up, it was very frustrating.

It's all really at odds with the music and design which are fantastic. I feel like, even this early into the game, the cracks are obvious and the game needed more time. I've had to restart to some checkpoints for dying to things I didn't feel like I'd taken damage from previously and so on and so forth.
    It’s a concept in search of a game, I think that’s what Alec said, if not then I’m claiming it. I spent most of it ignoring the plot because I wanted to unlock more of the lore, with the creation Myth in particular being superb. Problem was that meant I had to spend most of my time driving around in a car which handled like a lump of wood. The soundtrack is excellent at times, and there are moments when the art and music mesh in a glorious embrace, such as the spider’s lair, but it was neither rewarding or fun to play for the most part. When I eventually knuckled down and did the plot it was Saturday morning cartoon fare and not in a good way. The most enjoyable bit was the very start, and if they'd developed it into a hack and slash I think it could have been a great game as well. For the most part I came away feeling like I would rather watch someone else play it on a really big screen or just look at a book of concept art with the music playing in the background.

I'm playing Splinter Cell 4 on my pc. The multiplayer is awesome. Although you need a high-end to play the game it realy worth upgrading or buying a new pc.

Make sure you get that combat speed up to maximum in Fallout. Trust me, you don't want to wait ten fucking minutes just to end a turn, especially in Necropolis if you start fights. Also, spend points for speech and energy weapons
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Make sure you get that combat speed up to maximum in Fallout. Trust me, you don't want to wait ten fucking minutes just to end a turn, especially in Necropolis if you start fights. Also, spend points for speech and energy weapons
    Oh ! And agility. Keep it high ! You'll want to have the most AP possible.

Make sure you get that combat speed up to maximum in Fallout.
    This is something you can adjust in the settings?

Quote Originally Posted by Drayk View Post
    Oh ! And agility. Keep it high ! You'll want to have the most AP possible.
    Ah, yes! That and Fast Shot. I found the targeting system in the game a bit rubbish and that doesn't really matter when you can shoot that certain improved energy weapon you can get later in the game for just 2(!) AP

This is something you can adjust in the settings?
    You serious, man? 'course you can
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    I could listen to CoH2 news all day. Gwon, spoil things for me!

How's the snow?
    White!

No, it's actually adding a lot of atmosphere to the game. I skipped a lot of the previews, so I was actually surprised that my infantry units could barely move through thick snow. Also, the addition of blizzards in the game is a nice touch, as you can't through artillery during it's presence and your units freeze even quicker when they are not in a bunker or close to a fire.

Only played a couple of games against the AI, so not familiar with all the new features yet. But so far I really like the new additions to the game. Now if I could only enhance the performance on my laptop...It struggles a bit on high settings, but maybe that's partially due to the beta code.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    I now realize why nobody plays Dwarf Fortress on 200fps

Me likey
    I thought everybody does.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    @L_Noon

Tag speech, small guns and energy weapons.
    fast shot and gifted are a must (on first playthrough).

str aint that necessary but don't keep it lower than five (six preferably)
    Companions are fairly rubbish in F1 so i recommend lower charisma to max 4 (your speech skill affects more than charisma).
    High agility and int. each 9.
    with power of save and load luck aint that important either. so keep it at four and you should be fine.

Network Hub
    Also @L_Noon

I'm going to break the cycle and say; to be honest you can pretty much go through the game with any build. I've done the first fallout as a pacifist and as a gun nut, a thief or with a silver tongue and all opened up new avenues.

So make a character you would want to play, maybe suggest a theme and we can advise on the 'best' starting package. Personally i liked a high speech character for the dialogue options, a high luck for the weird encounters and the bloody mess perk for the fantastic death animations.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    In a, "Don't worry, the game gets better" or "You have no idea..." kind of way?
    Can't think of a proper way to hint towards it without giving away too much. But leaning far more towards "you have no idea" than "don't worry".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhus View Post
    White!

No, it's actually adding a lot of atmosphere to the game. I skipped a lot of the previews, so I was actually surprised that my infantry units could barely move through thick snow. Also, the addition of blizzards in the game is a nice touch, as you can't through artillery during it's presence and your units freeze even quicker when they are not in a bunker or close to a fire.

Only played a couple of games against the AI, so not familiar with all the new features yet. But so far I really like the new additions to the game. Now if I could only enhance the performance on my laptop...It struggles a bit on high settings, but maybe that's partially due to the beta code.
    Remember there's an NDA in effect.

All I will say is the game is very, very good.
    steam: sketch

Companions aren't limited by charisma in Fallout; that would be Fallout 2. Speaking of which, why are random encounters so difficult in F2? I'm starting to think outdoorsmanship is a worthwhile skill. The game as a whole tends to be incredibly frustrating. From the aforementioned random encounters, to Marcus slaughtering the rest of my companions whenever I go into combat. Other than that, the game is great, but it's getting under my skin.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    It has been a while, but the number 1 rule for companions in Fallout 1 and 2 is: no burst weapons.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wrestledwithgod View Post
    Companions aren't limited by charisma in Fallout; that would be Fallout 2. Speaking of which, why are random encounters so difficult in F2? I'm starting to think outdoorsmanship is a worthwhile skill. The game as a whole tends to be incredibly frustrating. From the aforementioned random encounters, to Marcus slaughtering the rest of my companions whenever I go into combat. Other than that, the game is great, but it's getting under my skin.
    Just leg it. Until you get decent weapons you wont take on a pack of 7 giant radscorpions, so just run the hell away.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    I've installed Fallout 1, since I've never played it more than 10 minutes. Any essential things (no spoilers) I need to know before I start?
    First of all, download the recommended mods from this link, if you haven't already. They will make your playthrough a lot more enjoyable. Secondly, go into options, turn on auto-run and put combat speed to maximum.

After that you have a lot of freedom in how to approach your build and almost any combination is viable, though some are definitely more powerful than others. Intelligence and Agility are the most important stats. Small Guns, Speech, Lockpicking and later on Energy Weapons are the best skills.

Most importantly, don't worry too much if you messed up a quest or angered an NPC. Despite its reputation, Fallout isn't too hard once you come to terms with the clunky UI. Don't forget that, apart from random encounters, you can almost always choose when to engage in combat. So if a particular fight gives you trouble, just gain a few levels and return.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by wrestledwithgod View Post
    Companions aren't limited by charisma in Fallout; that would be Fallout 2. Speaking of which, why are random encounters so difficult in F2? I'm starting to think outdoorsmanship is a worthwhile skill.
    I believe Fallout 2's random encounters partially scale to the number of companions you have in your party. Even if you're on your own they're pretty deadly right up to the end of the game though. Jesus_Phsish's advice is probably the best one, avoid random encounters as much as you can until you and your party members all have good equipment. Keep in mind that Perception affects how close you are to the enemy at the beginning of an encounter, so high Perception makes it easier to flee.
    Last edited by fiddlesticks; 08-04-2013 at 05:01 PM.