Page 728 of 1190 FirstFirst ... 228628678718726727728729730738778828 ... LastLast
Results 14,541 to 14,560 of 23789
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    That would involve restarting the entire game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    That would involve restarting the entire game.
    cheat codes, level select.
    You playing regular or HD?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    cheat codes, level select.
    You playing regular or HD?
    Does it make a difference? I have HD, but at this point I'm about ready to just go play some DOOM II.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, playing Serious Sam on a difficulty above Normal is asking for trouble. Not on a first playthrough, methinks. It's such a good game, though. There are some bastard hard sections, but they're all beatable, and if you don't bellow in triumph when you do I don't know how to help you.

I tried kicking the difficulty back to normal, but instead of just making the enemies do less damage (which is what I really want) it cut the enemy spawns to the point that it didn't even feel like a challenge. It also stripped me of my Gatling Gun and re-enabled the hint pop-ups.

I did eventually make it past the part I was stuck at on Hard, thanks to a cleverly* hidden cannon.

*Not cleverly at all and I had to look at this secrets FAQ.

I just beat Bastion. I was actually about to close the game but I felt that the end was near and pressed on. Wasn't all that impressed by the ending, wish the whole game was a bit deeper, and the environments felt empty for all of their pretties. I didn't have the same issue with the combat itself that everyone seems to but sadly that's all you do.
    Last edited by sabrage; 01-05-2013 at 09:52 AM.

Lemme summarize today's events in my Campaign:

Oh boy! I'm gonna fight the Orks toda-
    *wartraks*
    WAAAAAAAARGH
    *PEW PEW BOOM*

okay, now that settled, lets expand and build mor-
    *wartraks*
    WAAAAAAAARGH
    Aww come on-
    WAAAAAAAARGH
    please-
    WAAAAAAAARGH
    stop-
    WAAAAAAAARGH
    STOP-
    WAAAAAAAARGH
    FUCK
    WAAAAAAAARGH
    AAAAAAAAA-
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Lesser Hivemind Node
    That brings back some red alert memories.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Serious Sam: The First Encounter is a poorly-designed game. The narrow sections consist of 5 skeleton dudes waiting around every corner to insta-kill, while the wide-open areas consist of getting rammed in the back by disgusting amounts of enemies while trying to cut down the previously spawned ones. I quit when I was literally walking across the heads of the crowd, Dead Rising-style, with no hope of escape or respite.
    I recommend walking around corridor sections with either the two shotguns or the tommy gun. You'll rarely need a heavier weapon in there and if you do, it'll most likely be telegraphed. For the open areas, you're supposed to be surrounded. Make sure you're prioritising targets and using weapons correctly. If you're being shot at range by demons, don't be afraid to fire some rockets off at them then 'forget' you've fired them and then turn back to your current targets while focusing on those a little closer. So long as you don't hit any projectiles with your rockets, 5 shots should take them down. Non-human small targets can usually be killed by one double-barrelled shotgun hit, this includes kleer skeletons. The best way to take them down is to let them come right in your face to the extent that they've leapt at you, guaranteeing you a clear hit and kill. Otherwise, two shots of the standard shotgun at a short distance will also kill them. The bulls that charge at you similarly take two double-barrelled shots at close range to kill.

The tommy gun is preferential, most of the time, to the minigun. The tommy works far, far better at range and allows you to control ammo usage whilst the minigun is better with clumps of weaker enemies at mid-range. Don't bother using it on bigger targets because it is a waste of ammo for the times when you'll really need it.

Now, I'm not saying FE isn't hard or that the level design is amazing (SE improves on these on both accounts, albeit with a final boss that's not as cool) but I do think a lot of the time it's very fair. You're not expected to finish the big arena fights with full health, more a case of trying to survive with as much as possible. For the corridor and inside sections, that's when you'll be making back your health, but you do have to be careful. There are jump targets to keep you on your toes, particularly the kleer skeletons, but I think the difficulty is challenging rather than unfair for the majority of the time.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    I recommend walking around corridor sections with either the two shotguns or the tommy gun. You'll rarely need a heavier weapon in there and if you do, it'll most likely be telegraphed. For the open areas, you're supposed to be surrounded. Make sure you're prioritising targets and using weapons correctly. If you're being shot at range by demons, don't be afraid to fire some rockets off at them then 'forget' you've fired them and then turn back to your current targets while focusing on those a little closer. So long as you don't hit any projectiles with your rockets, 5 shots should take them down. Non-human small targets can usually be killed by one double-barrelled shotgun hit, this includes kleer skeletons. The best way to take them down is to let them come right in your face to the extent that they've leapt at you, guaranteeing you a clear hit and kill. Otherwise, two shots of the standard shotgun at a short distance will also kill them. The bulls that charge at you similarly take two double-barrelled shots at close range to kill.
    I like that all of those tactics you mentioned are identical across the Serious Sam games. I'm still working my way through BFE: Jewel of the Nile DLC on Hard, just as I did the entirety of BFE on Hard. I figured I could handle it even though I'd never played a Serious Sam game before, and I did just that, but in this DLC I'm running into a brick wall.

In what I assume is the final part of the chapter Born Again there's a massive arena full of obstacles where I'm assaulted by legions of skeletons, a handful of bulls and a couple of Khnums, and almost all of my rapid-fire weapons are out of ammo. So I can empty my assault rifle on the skeletons, which has enough ammo for about five kills, and then switch to the double-barrel to pick them off one by one. Usually I can kill the bulls by firing two rockets or Devastator shells in their path before they get too close, but the addition of the Khnums is the straw that's breaking my back. If I start firing at them, the skeletons get me, and if I focus on the skeletons, the fireballs get me. I really have no idea how to come out of this one alive.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I think the tactics are identical because it works so well. The combat is somewhere between a tightly choreographed dance and a more vicious Missile Command - you have to prioritise the right targets otherwise you're going to die and start crying because it's unwinnable. As it goes, my SS game-play (FE, SE, 3 and DD) has all been on hard and I think it's about right. I cannot imagine playing on higher (invisible enemies apart from when they fire?!) although I know the top one is a bit special as it increases ammo counts and things like that. By SS3, whilst I was still dying every so often, I was noticeably better than how I was when I made my way through FE. I also think that Jewel of the Nile is the best SS3 content, shame it had to be DLC.

But yes, the Khnums are utter bastards. That said, you can run up to them and throw up 2 (?) blocks of C4 onto their chest, detonate and that should do it. That final arena is stupid hard though. Between those stupid angel things, chicken-walkers, kleer and helicopters, it was very frustrating. I'm sure you've noticed at this point though that for a certain amount of time, enemies will spawn only when you walk over certain invisible lines. They'll all come eventually, but you can spread them out. Try going to the far sides and then drawing all the kleer back to the entrance to that final area. You should be able to herd them and eventually wittle them down. Don't be afraid to throw C4 out too as there are boxes for you to reload at.

I can only suggest perseverance though. If you're loading from a quick/auto save and it's clearly going wrong, don't be afraid to go back to a previous save and work forward slowly. Oh, and I'd always try and take out the bulls with a shotgun where possible. You can usually avoid their hits and the closer they get to you, the more likely they'll take out other enemies at the same time.