Page 51 of 1161 FirstFirst ... 414950515253611011515511051 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 23219
    Grey matter is done, got a bit weird in Sam's last section but it pulled itself together for the final. I did guess what was going on about two or three chapters from the end, which is unfortunate as I always like being kept in the dark until the big reveal in these sort of things. at the end everything was sorted out with no lose ends and the credits rolled with some pretty artwork and a nice song. there was a weird clip at the end of the credits that made no sense to me but it hardly spoiled anything.

I will criticize the game for certain failures in understanding Britain. for example sam accepts the role as assistant for fifty pounds a week, the students in the experiment get paid fifteen, and all of them act like this is worthwhile payment for their time. the terrible 'typical English pub' and the wooden road signs too show a serious lack of understanding (or perhaps deliberately misleading view) of this fine country. there were a few other examples of not doing the research, but I didn't let them bother me much because it managed to tell a good story along the way.

some people don't seem to like the cutscenes because they aren't done in-game but tbh I loved them. the character models don't allow for a great deal of expression and the animations are wonky enough that it would have been very distracting in a cutscene. the change to the painted look helps mark the beginning and end of each chapter better than anything in-game anyway.

it avoids some of the worst sins an adventure game can commit, namely pixel hunting and lack of direction. hitting the space bar reveals all the objects you can click on, an objectives screen tells you how much is left to do before the chapter is finished, while the map tells you when you have finished in an area. its helpful without spoiling the puzzles. the inventory is a bit of a mess though, most items stick with you until the final chapter so finding what you need can sometimes take longer than it should.

it told a strong story, with excellent music, and had sensible puzzles that I could solve without going to a guide every five minutes due to some insane logic the designer had employed. at the end of the day thats really all I ask for in an adventure game and this one delivered.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by SMiD View Post
    On the PC: Bioshock 2, which is taking me longer than it should because GfWL LOVES TO FUCK WITH MY SAVES.
    On the emulator on the PC: Earthbound. Joy.
    GfWL IS the true form of Giygas' attack!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by laneford View Post
    trying to convice myself that I like Rockstar games rather than merely admire them.
    I like the western genre. One of my favourite films is The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, so I was really excited to play RDR, especially after all the reviews it got. But strip away the ancillary stuff and the base game barely holds up. The first 1/3 is alright, the second third is pretty dire (I didn't get the fuss with 'that' music) and the final third was okay. The ending I have my own issues with, although on the whole I found it better than not. I think the admiration might be accurate; they created a living, vivid world that was so faithful to the western spirit, but the game let it down. There was a lot to do, but a lot of it was crap.

For me, the best part of RDR was the background music and the fact that if it was somehow a Firefly game, I'd have unquestionably been in love with it. Of course, no-one's gone that route...yet.

ANYHOW and here comes the essay, I have finished Call of Pripyat and I don't really know how to feel about it. The game, as a whole, is far more polished than Shadow of Chernobyl, but it still has many issues, I feel. One, I have NO idea how to pick up artifacts. The only ones I got were those given to me. I feel like I missed a considerable portion of the game because it just wasn't too clear. Secondly, the gun play is both pretty bad and very good. It's so inconsistent that sometimes I'll feel like a bad-ass and other times I'll be wondering why the hell I'm running out of bullets so quickly. Thirdly, a lot of the quests kinda halted for whatever reason. For example, one early one had me try and destroy a mutant lair. I tracked down a thing to help me let off some gas to destroy them, but it was locked and I needed a key. And then that was it. Nothing else. *Shrug* This then comes back to 'bite' me at the end. There were a few others like this that were a bit flummoxing in what I was supposed to do. I'm sure as hell not going to scour the entire portion of the map for a key.

From here on out there are ending spoilers. [spoiler]The tunnel sequence to Pripyat was pretty fun and I found myself enjoyable equipped considering I covered all bases. Then, when in Pripyat, Zulu decides to go away and then apparently get himself killed later for some obscure reason. After that, the military keeps getting popped off so my ending run to the helicopters has 5 people with me. It was rather silly that I was proving to take down entire groups and their soldiers were being picked off easily. Why not just send me? Ugh.

Then there's the final mission, the run for the helicopters. Fine, I can live with that, but we then spend a few minutes standing by the helicopters. We're right there guys! We can go! Nope, okay, let's stand here getting picked off. I don't get it anyhow because in the cut-scene after you take off, you're still being shot from, so either the amount of fire-power being shot at you initially was insufficient to do anything harmful anyhow, or why not just have the helicopters cover the landing area with their rockets and machine guns (which from the ending of SoC, are as powerful as they should be) before landing for a few seconds?

After that, there's the "Johnny went on..." thing that showed that everybody left unhappy or didn't leave, because they were dead. That gas valve I couldn't be bothered finding the key for? Everyone on the main boat in the first region got killed. Oh well, they should've come with me to take it out personally because near the end I had enough weapons to power a small army without anyone taking a hit. The scientists left because I couldn't figure out how to understand something I hadn't been told. Boo hoo. From my diligence in the laboratory in Pripyat I had documents that proved usefulish, I guess.
    [/Spoilers]

The thing is, at the end I just didn't care what happened to anyone in The Zone. The ending was, admittedly, better than SoC's, but that's not saying much. It didn't leave me satisfied, although I'm curious as to what they'll fix in STALKER 2. I don't know whether or not I'll actually be inclined to play it though. Personally, I found it a slight above mediocre. The entire STALKER experience, that is. CoP is a better game, but I got more into SoC. The main character in SoC was far more interesting, especially with the development at the end, regardless of how crazy and inane it had become.

I'm glad I played them though, to see what the Zone was, but I feel the same about it that I did about HL2 (which I do think is better than SoC/CoP) - it's okay. It's good. I just don't see the amazing that a lot of others clearly do.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Network Hub
    Super Mario World 2+2 Yoshi's Island. This is one of my favourite hacks - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwP0i...eature=related

Also playing Bastion at the moment.

You have to have your detector out for artifacts to show up. Kind of an odd change they made between SoC and Clear Sky, and kept for CoP.

I wonder what happens if you decide to forgo gassing the bloodsuckers, and just come back with an exoskeleton and a machine gun. Is it possible to win that fight? If you do, does it give you credit for completing the quest? I think I'm going to have to go back to CoP just to try that >:)

Quote Originally Posted by ZamFear View Post
    I wonder what happens if you decide to forgo gassing the bloodsuckers, and just come back with an exoskeleton and a machine gun. Is it possible to win that fight?
    I used a few grenades and a shotgun once and killed them all disappointingly easily before I figured out how to find the gas (as long as you don't move into the room where they are after throwing grenades, they can't attack you from the sides and get bottlenecked in the hallway, so you can just mow them down there).

If you do, does it give you credit for completing the quest? I think I'm going to have to go back to CoP just to try that >:)
    I think it may, but I don't trust my memory. If it doesn't, you can probably still use the gas after they're all dead and complete the mission that way.

Playing Deus Ex. Completed the Statue of Liberty section, but then accidentally threw a gas grenade down in the Unatco HQ which made everyone hostile, so now I have to go back to my last save.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Space Marine demo, I guess the best description would be "AHAHAHAHAHA-HAHA Die you green filth!!" It's just glorious carnage all over, I really liked it. It will be interesting to see if they can keep the combat fresh and not become samey over the course of the game. Also all the furious clicking meant my mousehand got tired really fast.

Spent a couple of hours with the Space Marine demo. I wasn't sure what to expect from this game - Relic's last action-ish title, The Outfit, was fun but boring and unpolished. Space Marine on the other hand... IS AWESOME! I'm a big fan of Games Workshop. I've read most of the Warhammer 40k novels and comics. I've even bought and assembled a Space Marine miniatures army, but never played a game of the tabletop (yet). This feels like the first game to capture just how bad ass the Space Marines really are. I prefer a 3 button combo system in my brawlers, but the heavy & light/stun system works here. The weapons, especially on easy mode, have the firepower you would expect an Ultramarine to carry. And the small assault pack section works just as I'd hoped - you really feel like one of the assault troopers from Relic's Warhammer RTS.

Now I'm going to put some more time into Deus Ex (as all good Americans should be doing this week), and I have Crimecraft loaded up to try out tonight as my free-to-play title of the moment. It was horrible when it launched - we'll see what's changed.

Well, that was fun.
    kill_everything.jpg
    Nothing a SPAS-12 can't handle, and it does credit you with completing the quest. No gas required :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    An ode to the fact that the game is well designed enough to let you do that then, I suppose. Love the name of the file.

While I'm here, played a bit more of World of Goo. Completed the second chapter and realised I'm half way through. I really have to compliment the writing in it. It's kept short, but it's generally very entertaining. Oh and the game is great fun too.