Page 770 of 1180 FirstFirst ... 270670720760768769770771772780820870 ... LastLast
Results 15,381 to 15,400 of 23600
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayk View Post
    Started Mark of the ninja and Assassin's creed revelations. Mark of the Ninja is really fun. Assassin's creed is just more of the same, oh well...

Beat two missions of the Iron Brigade DLC (one with Heliocentric, the other one solo) it's getting harder. Two more to go.
    Just an idea on Mark of the Ninja, try to get the silent costume. After you finish the game once, rerun it using that costume and don't kill anyone and be as stealthy as possible. The complete stealth play-through was very fun.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    It's was a good play Drayk, sorry I cut it short. Scrap is really scarce in those later levels, I guess the assumption is we should be assault. I just love my sniper turrets too much.

Ass Rev is more of the same, it's funny Ass Bro felt like a perfectly good way to end the series but Rev felt like a great ending to Ezio but a shoehorned ending to Altair.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Finished Waking Mars, which was very good. It's quite fun messing around with the seeds and lifeforms to see how they interact with each other. Story was well presented too.

Antichamber is very interesting. For a game with such simplistic controls it's giving me a bit of a headache at times. It reminds me of Braid, in that it forces you to think outside the box to solve the puzzles.

Picked up Rising Storm as well. I've always meant to play a Red Orchestra game, but never got around to it until now. I like the relatively slow pace of the game, compared to most other shooters. With the threat of instant death, it means you put a lot more thought into cover and movement than usual.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Oscillating between playing Company of Heroes 2 and watching a BBC documentary on the Eastern Front where former NKVD and former SS basically say the same thing: "We committed these war crimes because of the nature of the war. We would do it again under the same circumstances."
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Got a 1 month premium gift for World of Tanks, so I'm playing that for the foreseeable future.
    Building, fixing and using PCs since 1999. Only PCs. Always PCs.

Activated Node
    Currently grinding my way through Max Payne 3. I'm not even enjoying the gameplay that much but feel I might as well finish it for the story - I just arrived at the airport so I hope I'm nearly finished.

Trying to find the time to learn to play Company of Heroes 2. Problem as usual with MP betas is that everything is too fast paced to learn the basic units - so will probably wait until its out, complete the SP campaign then venture into multiplayer. What I have played I've enjoyed so far but I suspect the "retreat" function will continue to kill Relic RTS' for me. There are very few things in gaming that I find more frustrating than nailing an ambush/strategy to perfection, only for my opponent to mash the retreat button and escape with 95% of his units intact. Sure you gain some ground temporarily but at the expense of revealing a tactic, what units you have, etc etc. That one function ruins DOW and COH for me.

Basically waiting for the summer sale to finally play the Witcher 1+2 games (yes I missed the sale two weeks ago when you could get both for 3.99 instead of 20)

Quote Originally Posted by Glow View Post
    Trying to find the time to learn to play Company of Heroes 2. Problem as usual with MP betas is that everything is too fast paced to learn the basic units - so will probably wait until its out, complete the SP campaign then venture into multiplayer. What I have played I've enjoyed so far but I suspect the "retreat" function will continue to kill Relic RTS' for me. There are very few things in gaming that I find more frustrating than nailing an ambush/strategy to perfection, only for my opponent to mash the retreat button and escape with 95% of his units intact. Sure you gain some ground temporarily but at the expense of revealing a tactic, what units you have, etc etc. That one function ruins DOW and COH for me.
    If you want, we can do some runs together. Or I can help you understand specific units. Are you a Wehrmacht or Soviet player?

That said, the whole point of a RTT is to change up your game to deal with a motile opponent: If you're a one-trick pony and they discover that one trick, then it's not the lack of the element of surprise that did you in.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Activated Node
    Yeah that would be cool - you can add me on Steam - user name is Gl()w and I'll hit you up when I have a chance.

And its not so much being a one-trick pony as it is just getting frustrated that there isn't much benefit to surprising an opponent as more often than not they can escape and return with the necessary counters.

And I prefer soviets

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Forcing an opponent off is a win even if you didn't destroy any units. By the time they return you've capped and increased your resource advantage, and more importantly, if you have map control you can dictate more easily under which circumstances the next fight takes place.

I can see why the retreat mechanic can seem frustrating, but I think it makes things a bit more strategic. It moves the emphasis to positioning and overall composition. It also takes the edge off having a resource advantage- it helps, but comebacks are still possible. It also makes the squad mechanic work.

You can still wipe out units, but it takes good planning and a touch of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Glow View Post
    Yeah that would be cool - you can add me on Steam - user name is Gl()w and I'll hit you up when I have a chance.
    Steam name is Nalano.

They'll come back with counters, but by then you'll have more units and, as arathain pointed out, a resource advantage.

As for the Soviets, you have an advantage in the early game: Conscripts are useful for more or less everything and you can outproduce the Wehrmacht pound for pound. Early game should be taking as much of the map as you can (as you'll have more men on the field and they can stand up 1:1 with what the Wehrmacht can produce) and harassing anybody with clown cars (which is currently the preferred name of armored cars filled with penal battalions or engineers).

Also, due to the nature of the Soviet tech paths, you can put assault guns or tanks out long before the Wehrmacht, which means you should not have too much of an issue meeting light vehicles when they start showing up on the field.

You'll have a disadvantage late-game because the Wehrmacht have better tanks and the Soviets don't have strong infantry-based AT, but this is why map control early game is important: Keep the Wehrmacht off the fuel points and you should be able to outproduce them in AT guns and assault guns. Also, as the T34s are far cheaper than PzIVs (and practically disposable against PzVs and up), you can also abuse the ram ability to give the Wehrmacht heart attacks as your supporting units then scramble to destroy their setpieces.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    I tried a game of CoH2 1v1 mp and even won. Then I uninstalled it.

First, I'm a DoW2 fan( about 1500 hours in MP 1v1), as flawed as it is. So to me CoH2 felt very familiar yet wrong on all levels. Call it imprinting or whatever it just didn't feel right, and UI is horrible anyway, lots of buttons and lots of things that look like buttons but are not. Ugh. I understand it's beta, but well, I've been in Relic betas since first closed beta of DoW2 and this one is the worst in terms of polish. And if it's like other two betas I've been in, I have very little faith in this getting better on release. I do want to support Relic so I'll probably buy it but I have three main problems I'm not sure anything can fix.

1. Single player story. I fear i'ts going to be a usual Enemy at the Gates drivel. Or worse, to even more absurd levels of clownery. I wish they just released sources they are basing their game on. I'll just erase all memory of this game from my mind if I see some names on that list.

2. Matchmaking in mp games. Am I going to play RKKA vs RKKA Mp matches? No, I'm not. In WH40k things like that are handwaved( traitors, rivals, heretics whatever) and ignored. Here, I'm going to have a huge problem.

3. Representation of the whole War. Obviously, to outside people it's nonsense, but its kind of a huge thing for me. The history of this War was a propaganda tool for half the world for decades and it's still is. Numbers( usually in millions) are thrown around to this day. Can Relic make a no-nonsense game without forced drama? Without unhealthy fixating on vodka, comissairs, NKVD and penal batallions?

So I got back into DoW2R and wiped floor with some laggy noobs.
    Last edited by coldvvvave; 12-06-2013 at 07:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

A little bit of Red Faction: Guerilla seems I never finished it on Xbox 360. Oh and Constant C.
    If graphics are not important why spend so much on a GPU?

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    1. Single player story. I fear i'ts going to be a usual Enemy at the Gates drivel. Or worse, to even more absurd levels of clownery. I wish they just released sources they are basing their game on. I'll just erase all memory of this game from my mind if I see some names on that list.

2. Matchmaking in mp games. Am I going to play RKKA vs RKKA Mp matches? No, I'm not. In WH40k things like that are handwaved( traitors, rivals, heretics whatever) and ignored. Here, I'm going to have a huge problem.

3. Representation of the whole War. Obviously, to outside people it's nonsense, but its kind of a huge thing for me. The history of this War was a propaganda tool for half the world for decades and it's still is. Numbers( usually in millions) are thrown around to this day. Can Relic make a no-nonsense game without forced drama? Without unhealthy fixating on vodka, comissairs, NKVD and penal batallions?
    1) The game's not even out yet, holy shit, save your hate for when there's something to hate. Interesting things to note, however, are the Theatre of War campaigns which focus on 1941-1942, unlike the main campaign which focuses on 1943 onwards.

2) You can play Russian vs Russian or German vs German or any mix that you wish. Just click the icon next to your name to swap the side and click the slot for the team you wish to be on.

3) See 1. Also, there have been no references about vodka, commissars or the NKVD thus far. Penal battalions are there, but then there were over 400,000 soldiers assigned to penal units over the course of the war. Hell, we have Ostwind Flakpanzers represented in-game despite the fact that less then 50 were ever built.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    The game's not even out yet, holy shit, save your hate
    This is a sensitive subject. Also, I don't hate anything at all, ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    This is a sensitive subject.
    I didn't say "don't hate." I said save it until there's something of substance to hate. Right now you're just pissing in the wind based on your own idea of what they made without any actual evidence of what they made.

Also, if it's that much of a touchy subject for you, you should stay faaaar the fuck away from video games about it, because no matter what, they're going to be video games first and historical treatises last.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    hah. same experienced i had 6 years ago with SS1. 2-3 hours were fun. but then you realize that you are doing the same thing over and over again. quit and never went back.

what SP games you have? maybe people can recommend you something?
    I'm looking for a short single player experience that has decent story and can be finish in about 8hrs (something like spec ops and the new tomb raider). Off the top of my head I have : binary domain, dead space 2, kayne and lynch 2, all the lego games, home, lone survivor, to the moon, most of the adventure games, asscreed brother hood, condemned, hitman absolution, the prototype games which seems like they could be finish in a relatively short time.

Quote Originally Posted by dhlt25 View Post
    I'm looking for a short single player experience that has decent story and can be finish in about 8hrs (something like spec ops and the new tomb raider).
    Try Metro 2033, if you haven't already. It's not too long, and has quite an interesting story.

I'm looking for a short single player experience that has decent story and can be finish in about 8hrs (something like spec ops and the new tomb raider). Off the top of my head I have : binary domain, dead space 2, kayne and lynch 2, all the lego games, home, lone survivor, to the moon, most of the adventure games, asscreed brother hood, condemned, hitman absolution, the prototype games which seems like they could be finish in a relatively short time.

The Darkness 2. Really good story, quite short, solid gameplay and can be picked up really cheap.
    If graphics are not important why spend so much on a GPU?

I'm looking for a short single player experience that has decent story and can be finish in about 8hrs...
    Try Driftmoon. It's a nice RPG/adventure game that took me 10 hours to complete (It's not on steam, but you can find it in other sites like GMG, GOG or Gamersgate).

Obscure Node
    Just picked up Scourge of War and enjoying it very much along with The Greatest Battles Series of GoG, now downloading Divine Divinity and playing Dota 2, too much gaming.