Page 873 of 1163 FirstFirst ... 373773823863871872873874875883923973 ... LastLast
Results 17,441 to 17,460 of 23254
    Ran into an odd bug in Thief. The game somehow disabled my sword. I could still swing it but it wouldn't connect anymore. Apparently a side effect of TFix. I managed to resolve the issue by deinstalling the game, re-installing it, move the fresh files to another folder, disable read-only for it and then apply TFix to that folder. Easy.
    I also managed to make it through the Lost City in one piece. Not as bad as the mage towers but not exactly a favourite either. At this point I'm getting a bit tired of the game. It's good but it's not good enough to just go on forever. I feel like I have seen everything the game has to offer. All it does now is increasing the enemy and trap density to an infuriating degree.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    ah. One thing I've really been missing in RF Gorilla was a reconstruction gadget like RF Armageddon's. I just found a mod that-
    Let me stop you right there, lots of Internet journalists and forumites have informed me that modding is dead especially on big publisher games, so please stop spreading these rumours.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    I like the lack of rhythm to the violence in Far Cry 2. You can go for hours without being in any real danger and then suddenly lose three buddies in the space of ten minutes, without any of it feeling forced or wrong. It just is what it is.

I'm consistently amazed by how a game with such limited components can continue to feel fresh every time I sit down and play it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Just finished Bishock Infinite. I had some (spoiler free) words to say about it. Here's my thoughts on the ending:

Finishing Bioshock Infinite puts me in a rather odd position.

I loved the narrative and thought the conclusion was fitting and fittingly performed … but poorly directed. Some of the visual moments in the conclusion were just not as coherent as the rest of the game, and I felt like the game had lost touch with when to go into muted colors, when to beat you with rainbows, when to drip a scene with a single color … throughout most of the game, Bioshock is not just lovely to look at but a masterpiece of scene-setting from almost any angle. It’s a gorgeous game not because of it’s beautiful engine, but because of exceedingly good art direction. That sort of falls apart at the end, for me at least. The final scene in particular really let me down, before the credits rolled. I felt like the pacing and the visual direction and the general feel of it was off even though, as a narrative endcap the general idea of the scene feels perfect to me and the dialog writing is good enough if not as good as my favorite moments.

There we go. Got it. That’s what’s really odd, to me; Bishock Infinite has a much better conclusion than many, many games I’ve played but the ending should be one of the most memorable and well-honed parts of the game. The ending should be one of my favorite scenes. It should stick with me and make me go … ”huh, how about that …” in addition to tying up and resolving or explosively expanding any lingering emotional attachments I have to the game’s plot and characters (exceptions for the occasional sequel hook or even more occasional non-sequel-hook cliffhanger/mystery). Bioshock Infinite does better than most, but the ending wasn’t one of the best scenes in the game and that’s a shame because I had a lot of investment and I feel like they avoided so many mistakes that other dev teams would have made without a look back.
    I also explain that I disliked the way difficulty is handled in the game (I played on Hard and found the fights tense, tough and enjoyable JUST at that point where I didn't die too often but really had to play well to keep it that way. But ... well, if you're interested the full post is here.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    I like the lack of rhythm to the violence in Far Cry 2. You can go for hours without being in any real danger and then suddenly lose three buddies in the space of ten minutes, without any of it feeling forced or wrong. It just is what it is.

I'm consistently amazed by how a game with such limited components can continue to feel fresh every time I sit down and play it.
    It's a really, really well crafted game in terms of tone. They just knocked it out of the park. There are problems with the story and the gameplay systems, but the feel of the game is just incredible and fits with the repetitive but unscripted gameplay really, really well.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    It's a really, really well crafted game in terms of tone. They just knocked it out of the park. There are problems with the story and the gameplay systems, but the feel of the game is just incredible and fits with the repetitive but unscripted gameplay really, really well.
    Yeah i really liked it a lot for the atmosphere. Sometimes i just liked to drive around in a boat or car and just watch.
    Unfortunately they fked it up with the damn checkpoints. I don't mind there being one, but at least make them spawn once a day, not as soon as i break line of sight. I mean ok i get you want us to feel engaged by the game and have a lot of combat, but c'mon that is just too much. Or at least if they didn't pursue, but 90% of the time if you drive by a checkpoint they either destroy your car or damage it so you have to get another or they get 2 or 3 cars and go after you. Ain't it enough that there are patrols that are after me, not i have to deal with checkpoints too?

/rant

Network Hub
    A nasty bout of insomnia has me too exhausted andor confused to play anything 'meaningful', so i'm basically spending most of my time with Cardhunter - When i got a beta key quite a while ago i somehow bounced off of it quite quickly, but right now i'd be lying if i'd say that i wasn't completely hooked. It's quite lovely so far and also fairly challenging at times - Killing that yellow dragon just now involved some fairly elaborate tinkering...

Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    Just finished Bishock Infinite. I had some (spoiler free) words to say about it. Here's my thoughts on the ending:
    In theory i'm currently knee-deep in my second playthrough, but i had to move it to the backburner for now *sigh* Nevertheless: I'd say i can fully agree with that post of yours, and also the full version on your blog, since it sums up my own feelings quite perfectly. The only thing i'm not looking forward to are those damn fights against the "siren(?)". But when it comes to artificial difficulty there's one thing that i noticed in your blog post: Maybe you're talking about a different enemy type and i mixed something up, since my first playthrough was a couple of months ago, but: Aren't those annoyingly bullet spongy guys with rocket launchers vulnerable to (upgraded) possession? I seem to remember simply being able to possess them and being amused by their sudden hatered for their own feet?

Quote Originally Posted by Procrastination Giant View Post
    Things
    They are indeed vulnerable to possession. But when they spring onto the battlefield unannounced or in tandem (as they do in the final airship battle), the frustration inherent in their design becomes evident. I found them more irksome as an enemy design than some others, but not actually more difficult to take down. I thought they illustrated the kind of design nicely--further not every player upgrades possession, because there isn't enough cash in the game to upgrade everything and they clearly want you to be able to adapt to new situations with various tools--yet at the same time they design enemies like the Handyman which have no real tactical angle to them and things like the rocket dudes which have one real weakness that isn't so much a skill or a tactic as a fire-and-forget gadget.

What I like about possession is the ways you can use it to manipulate the field--that it also happens to be effective on individual opponents is a nice life-saver in certain dangerous circumstances but it isn't very interesting. Shooting weak-points is a little more inherently interesting because of the skill factor. Undertow is interesting because you have to decide where to blast enemies to, Bucking Bronco forces you to still deal with the enemies in some way once they're up in the air. Devils Kiss is a straight-forward offensive power with crowd control capabilities and so on and so on. Possession's ability to cause a single unit to suicide at the end of it's effect isn't very interesting to me even though it can be useful.

My take, at least.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 27-09-2013 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Ran into an odd bug in Thief. The game somehow disabled my sword. I could still swing it but it wouldn't connect anymore. Apparently a side effect of TFix. I managed to resolve the issue by deinstalling the game, re-installing it, move the fresh files to another folder, disable read-only for it and then apply TFix to that folder. Easy.
    I also managed to make it through the Lost City in one piece. Not as bad as the mage towers but not exactly a favourite either. At this point I'm getting a bit tired of the game. It's good but it's not good enough to just go on forever. I feel like I have seen everything the game has to offer. All it does now is increasing the enemy and trap density to an infuriating degree.
    Thief II is far better in pretty much every department. Thief was a very good game at time of release and obviously very important but Metal Age improves the formula considerably.

I was in Aachen and Cologne the other week by the way, Obviouslg it's only a small corner of the place but your country seems incredible. Had to keep reminding myself that you lost the World Wars as I witnessed pretty much everything be better than it is here

Thief II is far better in pretty much every department. Thief was a very good game at time of release and obviously very important but Metal Age improves the formula considerably.

I was in Aachen and Cologne the other week by the way, Obviouslg it's only a small corner of the place but your country seems incredible. Had to keep reminding myself that you lost the World Wars as I witnessed pretty much everything be better than it is here
    And don't you forget Thief III.

Playing as Spain in EU IV, I have no real clue what I'm doing. So far, I've colonised Africa, South and North America, as soon as I get enough range I'll probably colonise Australia too. It certainly generates a lot of income with no strings attached, as far as I can see.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I forgot how Assault on Dark Athena falls apart once you get the sticky air gun...
    It's a fantastic game until that moment.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Yeah... ended up just playing Kingdoms of Amalur. Managed to finish the Dead Kell expansion

And I am contemplating my Wizardry 6-8 party.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Obscure Node
    I am Playing on Google, to try to find something to play.

gwathdring, incidentally I also finished Infinite yesterday night and my impressions about the final scene seem to be close to what you have described. Some things still aren't clear to me and it might need a second playthrough to catch all the small things - regarding both the story and the art direction - that I've missed the first time around.

As a general impression I think it is not a bad game, as you've said the graphical aspects really shine and do a lot for the mood and the story, but I wish the level design would have been a bit more open and allowed for further exploration of the different set pieces. Obviously, opening up too many ways and directions to go might not necessarily be a good thing as players might get confused and frustrated if they aren't able to find their way around but I expected to see a bit more vertical movement, especially given the whole city in the skies setting. In the end, the game manages to almost feel a bit like a corridor shooter (which it actually might be under it's hood of blue skies and buildings floating in the distance) which is bizarre if you think about it.

One other thing that at first struck me as odd is how not scary the whole game comes across. You would expect at least a bit more of a sense of horror and alienation but as someone mentioned somewhere in another thread (sorry, I can't remember where it was) Booker takes a lot of things without batting an eye. "Right, you're being shot into skies and experience what could be described as the 8th wonder of the world." "Huh, I'll better find that girl." Looking back there might or might not be a hint to the later plot reveals in there but it really struck me as odd.

Concerning a horror aspect, which at least in part was a theme of the first two Bioshocks, I have to say that it's pretty hard to find any of it. The parts I can remember would be the Fraternal Order of the Raven with the first appearance of a Crow (which wasn't all that spooky but more confusing to fight for the first time) and maybe the Boys of Silence (especially that one bloody guy that surprises you in the control room). What's much more prominent is hectical shooting, made even more confusing by the sometimes blurry graphics while turning, and the feeling that you have to come up with a way to deal with this Fireman/Handyman/Sniper RIGHT NOW before he/it gets you.

Overall an enjoyable ride though, I'm already thinking about a second playthrough.
    Last edited by Squiz; 27-09-2013 at 08:27 AM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    *snip*
    I'd agree that it would be nice if it was a bit more open when it comes to level design and exploration in general, but i didn't have much of a problem with it either. For one they seemed pretty focussed on narrative and pacing and had more of a focus on the story and its characters instead of the city itself, like back in Bioshock, and did a pretty decent job with that while giving you at least some freedom to explore - So yeah, more freedom would have been nice, but it managed to at least give me the illusion of not just being a corridor shooter most of the time - And i'm usually pretty allergic to that (I'm looking at you, Remember Me.)

And while it certainly had very few traditional horror elements i was pretty surprised by some of the subtle(or really-not-so-subtle) moments of 'social horror' - A favorite example of mine was waking up on that (fake) beach and seing that fairly large 'strength through leasure' banner in the distance, for example. (Obviously there's more, but that obvious KdF reference and the whole atmosphere that follows is a more tangible form of horror than any abandoned asylum could ever be to me, as a german.) Nevertheless, that single jump-scare moment with that bloody boy of silence actually made me spill my coffee...

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    If I remember correctly, you still have to return to the haunted cathedral, right? That's a great mission, I heartily recommend playing further at least until you've finished that mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Procrastination Giant View Post
    A favorite example of mine was waking up on that (fake) beach and seing that fairly large 'strength through leasure' banner in the distance, for example. (Obviously there's more, but that obvious KdF reference and the whole atmosphere that follows is a more tangible form of horror than any abandoned asylum could ever be to me, as a german.)
    See, that's something that had I missed entirely. I didn't even notice the banner, maybe I was too busy going through trash cans in the search for hotdogs and cups of coffee. That's another thing that I wish there had been another solution for. Most of the time I felt these small items literally littered the whole city. While it makes for some nice thrills to scavenge shops and basements for ammunition and an extra drop of health during fights it also felt weirdly out of place to find that the inhabitants of Columbia regularly bin their spare change.

On the social horror in general - good point. Finkton contains several of such scenes, like the ones taking place in front of the entrance and on the square inside after you enter the district for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post

One other thing that at first struck me as odd is how not scary the whole game comes across. You would expect at least a bit more of a sense of horror and alienation but as someone mentioned somewhere in another thread (sorry, I can't remember where it was) Booker takes a lot of things without batting an eye. "Right, you're being shot into skies and experience what could be described as the 8th wonder of the world." "Huh, I'll better find that girl." Looking back there might or might not be a hint to the later plot reveals in there but it really struck me as odd.
    As with the first two Bioshocks, there's no reason to be scared because there is rarely a moment when you aren't comparatively far more empowered than anything else you encounter.

There are plenty eerie bits I would say, and they happen to be when you're looking around and not shooting stuff, when the ideological excess and weirdness has time to breathe and sink in. I would say the very beginning for example, in the chapel, fosters an uneasiness which is far more powerful and clever than any combat moment. Being from quite a strong religious background the whole false Shepard motif and eschatological tone was very powerful.

But that's always been the paradox of bioshock-it sets up its stall as a parable on genuine social evils and excess which have proven to be far more terrifying and destructive than any other force in history, but sadly it's just window dressing for jump scares and halloween monsters basically. The need for the game to have you shoot things kind of makes this inevitable-it's easier to shoot monsters than the hubris of humanity I suppose. It focusses on the result of the themes pointed at-nihilistic social breakdown-without really saying anything about how and why it happens.

I can't think of any other game which is so hampered from being something truly special by it's need to serve videogame convention.
    Last edited by sonson; 27-09-2013 at 11:03 AM.

That is adorable

That is adorable
    Edit: There was an adorable thing, but now it is gone. I am not referring to my own post.

Edit again: Meant to edit other post, please delete this, or indeed post being referred to

ARSE