Page 874 of 1133 FirstFirst ... 374774824864872873874875876884924974 ... LastLast
Results 17,461 to 17,480 of 22642
    It's ok. In short: The spammer experienced the swift and brutal judgement he deserved based on his post history.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    I'm currently trying to 100% Just Cause 2. I was at about 44% when I finished the story missions, and am at about 67% approximately 15 hours later. I think this may take a while.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    I'm currently trying to 100% Just Cause 2. I was at about 44% when I finished the story missions, and am at about 67% approximately 15 hours later. I think this may take a while.
    You are aware that the game is bugged, I hope. You can never get above 98% or something like that. (Alternately, there was a bug - might have been patched - that allowed for more than 100%, but then it would mean nothing at all since you could still have unfinished stuff.)

I made a stab at 100%, but lost my juice around 90-something, with only water towers left...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    You are aware that the game is bugged, I hope. You can never get above 98% or something like that. (Alternately, there was a bug - might have been patched - that allowed for more than 100%, but then it would mean nothing at all since you could still have unfinished stuff.)
    Thanks for the info; it's certainly better to find out now rather than when I am around 98% and pulling my hair out trying to find a money box or something. Maybe I'll stop after 75% or so.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

I finished Fez. Started a new game + to see if I can find some of those tasty secrets. Some of them are ridiculously hard.

Also I returned to Plants vs Zombies. I abandoned it three levels before finishing adventure mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Thanks for the info; it's certainly better to find out now rather than when I am around 98% and pulling my hair out trying to find a money box or something. Maybe I'll stop after 75% or so.
    There is a mod that supposedly makes 100% possible (I never got that far, so I don't know if it works):
    http://www.justcause2mods.com/mods/o...nt-completion/

98 is the new 100

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    There are plenty eerie bits I would say, and they happen to be when you're looking around and not shooting stuff, when the ideological excess and weirdness has time to breathe and sink in. I would say the very beginning for example, in the chapel, fosters an uneasiness which is far more powerful and clever than any combat moment. Being from quite a strong religious background the whole false Shepard motif and eschatological tone was very powerful.

[...] The need for the game to have you shoot things kind of makes this inevitable-it's easier to shoot monsters than the hubris of humanity I suppose. It focusses on the result of the themes pointed at-nihilistic social breakdown-without really saying anything about how and why it happens.

I can't think of any other game which is so hampered from being something truly special by it's need to serve videogame convention.
    Very well put. I don't entirely agree, but I totally see where you're coming from. I do agree that the game was at it's best in quieter moments and that while the shooting was relatively well integrated and a lot of fun it occasionally distracted from the heart of the game ... but it only ever felt like it was taking away something from me when it was bad--that fucking airship and the fucking graveyard/bank sequence ... arGisfgjda.

Here's the trouble: it's really hard to make combat interesting and challenging on a small scale. Real combat is terrifying, interesting, challenging, and outside of military engagements (and with most weaponry)--incredibly short. In addition to that last bullet point it's also hard to fit into a game effectively. Fantastical combat works better in a video game and bear in mind that video games--like any other fantasy medium--can afford to go nuts which can be engaging and interesting in it's own way. In his vibrantly colored, fantastical world? Booker made more sense than Gordon Freeman ever did because we understood why he was a capable, violent, taciturn son-of-a-gun--or at least while we were still figuring it out it was communicated to us that there was something governing that, that he was a person not a gun on a stick.

That's one reason I loved the endings to Bioshock Infinite and Mass Effect 3--they weren't cut-scene epilogues. They were gameplay finales that weren't boss fights. You were still in control. You were still playing the game on established convention. You were being led more thoroughly than at many points in the game, but you were still playing until the delivery of the character's final affect on the story ... then BAM, done for Bioshock Infinite and cutscene epilogue for Mass Effect 3 because Bioware and their fans didn't have the stomach for it otherwise (partially justified--the epilogue was quite in keeping with the spirit of Mass Effect). In any case, these moments showed that the designers understand that narrative play doesn't have to be open and doesn't have to be bombastic--that control and role-playing and interactivity are intricate and malleable.

Where Bioshock Infinite outclasses Mass Effect consistently is in the showing not telling that creative writing teachers and book/film/movie critics like to bang on about. In Mass Effect 3 (well ... the final mission of ME2 less the boss fight and let's add the lair of the Shadow Broker DLC, too) Bioware really started paying attention to giving in-fiction nods to mechanical decisions and delivering plot with less exposition. Even things like switching out party members mid-mission were suddenly given sensible justification where before it had just been a ludicrous mechanical invasion--there are only three seats in the cab, James has to guard the entrance to make sure no one gets out (a Chekov's gun moment--he pulls through on his task later making the team feel cohered even when you aren't in charge of everyone directly as a Squad member), and the whole "Who says we can't? All hands on deck for this one" bit in the Citadel DLC and so on. Bioshock Infinite is really good at this sort of narrative roller coaster effect; the narrative takes you for a ride and the mechanics engage when you pass certain kinds of scenery and that is essentially never subverted. You don't shoot things in cut-scene moments and you're never thrown silly one-time-use mechanical actions--it's all shoot, press button, open door, pull lever, use Sky Rails ... when they want you to do something new, they attach one of those actions to it rather than squeezing in a new mechanic that only lasts a single scene. Crucially it also doesn't make the mistake a lot of science fiction works make of assuming that suspension of disbelief is directly related to how well explained something is (see Star Trek and it's many painful attempts to explain technology to it's viewers often awkward both for making no sense and for being totally 4th-wall-breaking).

I'm rambling a bit now, but in any case, I think Bioshock Infinite works as a shooter. At the same time I long to see what could be done by the team that made Bioshock Infinite if they put effort into making a more mechanically difficult game design that struggled to engage the player without shooting or with a more "restrained" sort of violence (""'s because it need not be restrained in terms of realism just in terms of the player being an all powerful god of the battlefield facing down hundreds of enemies). I've never played it, but I've heard wonderful things about the opening moments of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth in which you have very little to defend yourself and are running from an angry mob, stacking things in front of doors and such--that sounds like the kind of thing Irrational could be great at. Give me a pistol, make me bean-count my ammo, tell me a story, and make me feel like a single bastard with a gun is something to be reckoned with even as my character and his/her associates shake up the whole world with their actions.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Network Hub
    So I got The Bureau: XCOM Declassified for a tenner the other day and..not to beat around the bush and to put it in layman terms..its a bit shit. It really feels like a game thats been dumped on a few times and then cleaned with water. Theres something not quite right with it. And its probably not surprising, one does wonder how many times it was back to the drawing bored of doom with this one.

I think it stems from the missions, I don't think i'v ever felt in game like it was some kind of chore. Its like the washing up, you know you have to do it, you know whats involved and you know its going to be a highly boring and very straight forward. Thats what it felt like doing the missions. Or dare I say it, a Nolan film, I like his films but they appear to me as a bunch of scenes which is ok, thats what a film is but theres not much flow and Nolan always makes me think that with his.

I like how you can order your other two guys, I thought that was quite smooth, the trouble is they always keep fucking dying on me. They follow you and shout a lot, which is highly annoying when your looking for ammo(the stuff is like gold dust with the aliens being bullet sponges and all) the cover system is well..its ok but your forced to move every 10 secs because of either alien grenade spam or lack of ammo. The plot is about invading aliens(oh yeah! so it is) and the characters are boring and I wasn't really interested. Didn't like the main character, hes got that cigar in the throat but I need whiskey to dose it out voice which I hate. Some poor backstory about his family thats died and he can't get over and oh god its one of those.

I admit that I played about 4 hours before I gave up, it just wasn't fun. The weapons feel off, like i'm shooting a popgun and a mission I was on I think I saved a scientist and near the end when I killed the last alien he starts talking I think to me but i'm like over the other side behind a box and hes got his back to me so really hes talking to fucking thin air. Its things like that which put me off, like a bad smell. The smell of a unclean game. A shame really, reminds me of the Brothers in arms game which I like but no way near as interesting. Oh well, also playing Company of heroes 2, some thoughts on its way but I like.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Played a bit of Europa Universalis IV as Persia. I'm not sure what's going on, other than 1 level of difference in our Military Tech, but The Mamluks are tearing through my armies. Their 10k armies are sending even my 30k armies home in pieces (15k infantry, 10k cavalry, 5k artillery). Meh.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    Played a bit of Europa Universalis IV as Persia. I'm not sure what's going on, other than 1 level of difference in our Military Tech, but The Mamluks are tearing through my armies. Their 10k armies are sending even my 30k armies home in pieces (15k infantry, 10k cavalry, 5k artillery). Meh.
    Something is screwed up in the recent patch. I don't think that's intended. But if the mamluks have a higher tier of units you should not be fighting them.
    Steam ID ; GFWL: alset85

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiphat View Post
    So I got The Bureau: XCOM Declassified for a tenner the other day and..not to beat around the bush and to put it in layman terms..its a bit shit. It really feels like a game thats been dumped on a few times and then cleaned with water. Theres something not quite right with it. And its probably not surprising, one does wonder how many times it was back to the drawing bored of doom with this one.
    The whole sordid history of this game for anyone interested:

http://www.polygon.com/features/2013...ment-2006-2013

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    The whole sordid history of this game for anyone interested:

http://www.polygon.com/features/2013...ment-2006-2013
    That was quite interesting, I didn't know it was quite that bad in development hell but it does show on the game.

I agree with most of what you said. However, the following is not entirely true.

Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    You don't shoot things in cut-scene moments and you're never thrown silly one-time-use mechanical actions--it's all shoot, press button, open door, pull lever, use Sky Rails ... when they want you to do something new, they attach one of those actions to it rather than squeezing in a new mechanic that only lasts a single scene.
    In particular, the scene in which you fight aboard the airship and use Songbird to bring down enemy zeppelins is pretty much exactly what you described above. And then there are quick time events, some of which are pretty stupid. Other however fit surprisingly well into the narrative, for example when Booker kills Comstock - I didn't expect him to react so violently when the game prompted me to "intervene". This annoyed me at first because it was far from what I would have wanted Booker to do, but it also shows that Booker is not 100% under the control of the player and maybe isn't even fully able to control himself, which in a way I found smart. And of course the scene in which Booker has to hand over his child. I am still not sure if that makes a lot of sense since it goes against the notion that the future can be changed by events in the past/present. I guess Comstock could have taken the child from a lot of different realities but why would there only be one reality in which Comstock existed in the first place?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Finished up Fallout:NV as much as I could care. Was fun, but Fallout 3 was a better game for me and kept me interested for more than just 1 full playthrough.

Gonna fire up KotoR II with TSLRM and slash some hacks there.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    I agree with most of what you said. However, the following is not entirely true.
    [...]
    The "quick-time" events happened a couple of times as decision points that didn't affect game progress, only your relationship with Elizabeth giving you things to talk about that reference things that were done by booker but chosen by the player. It draws us a little closer into the relationship between the two of them. It's also nothing like Assassin's Creed 2 where (likewise narrative-only) quick-time events spring at you out of no-where and provide you inadequate time to figure out what's going on let alone pick a response. That said you're aboslutely right about the zeppelin fight, but that was awful in other ways too so I'm going to go ahead and consider it a fluke.

Likewise, with one exception I can remember (when you get the Shock Jockey, I presume, though I did something different), cutscenes don't do things you could do without their help--though your right that violence does happen outside of gameplay. It's quite sparing, though, and used only at key moments. There could be more exceptions, but they are at least few and unobtrusive--this is something that bugs me a lot and I tend to remember it. Note, too, that the example you mention takes place during a quiet moment emphasizing the special nature of the violence. It's not one of those infuriating things where as soon as you've taken down the last enemy, the battlefield re-populates for the cut-scene where the hero shoots people down on route to the helicopter. It's a specially chosen moment that belongs in a cutscene.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 28-09-2013 at 06:51 PM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Playing the Testament of Sherlock Holmes (I love dopey adventure games), replaying Far Cry 3 (awesome) and playing through Dead Space 3 for the millionth time (LOVE THAT GAME). Waiting patiently for Batman and AC4 at the end of October.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alset85 View Post
    Something is screwed up in the recent patch. I don't think that's intended. But if the mamluks have a higher tier of units you should not be fighting them.
    On a second attempt it went much better, which now leads me to think it was combination of bad luck, bad modifiers etc. I forgot to sort out my forged claims, so the war wasn't as successful as intended, but I was able to push The Mamluks back to Alexandria without too much issue this time. Odd.

In any case, an interesting part of the world. I'm surprised by how involved I'm getting in Indian politics. Thankfully I'm still separated from the behemoth Russia. I'm guessing I'll leave the Ottomans to be the buffer between Persia and the Europeans for a while yet.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Beware the dawn of the metal age.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    fucking mind flayers
    fucking beholders