Page 908 of 1205 FirstFirst ... 4088088588989069079089099109189581008 ... LastLast
Results 18,141 to 18,160 of 24094
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    -snip-
    Thanks for sharing your take on the game. I can see where you're coming from, but there's something about BL2 that just clicks with me (and a lot of people). It's true the characters are flat, the story is nonsensical, Pandora is just the background of a shooting gallery, etc., but for me, it just works. BL2 is essentially a Diablolike: the story and characters aren't that important, it's just about satisfying the urge to kill things and collect loot.

Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    Thanks for sharing your take on the game. I can see where you're coming from, but there's something about BL2 that just clicks with me (and a lot of people). It's true the characters are flat, the story is nonsensical, Pandora is just the background of a shooting gallery, etc., but for me, it just works. BL2 is essentially a Diablolike: the story and characters aren't that important, it's just about satisfying the urge to kill things and collect loot.
    If only it had a proper save system. Sigh.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Snipped correctness.
    Yeah, pretty much. Like GTA, it's a game that seems beloved by all, but that I can't help but see as trying to do a lot of things and getting better than mediocrity in none of them. I do play it! And I do enjoy my friends company as I play it. But I could never for a second see myself enjoying it as a game, rather than just a vehicle for creating some quite fun shared experiences between friends and laughing at them when they get killed by something feeble.

Activated Node
    So, I didn't really get back in to Spec Ops: The Line. Wasn't really in the mood for it last night. So I booted up Dishonoured, played through the 1st mission knocking everyone out, exploring and grabbing everything I could, hoping to get those 2 ticks at the end of mission screen. I didn't. Somehow I killed someone. No idea who, or how, but I killed 1 person, and 1 of the unconcious bodies had been found... somehow... So I started again... and thought "Meh!" turned it off. Looking at the small collection of games I currently have installed, I decided I would continue my game of The Walking Dead instead. I was hooked... I was midway through Episode 2 "The Dairy Farm!" and by the end was just amazed by the writing. I really enjoyed the ending of the episode, happy with the decisions I had made, but also... well... devestated by the reactions of some characters to my choices. Then Episode 3 kicked off... fuck... I was actually emotional by the time I got the train going. Fuck! Now... I'm usually the guy that does enjoy FPSs (I grew up on DOOM and loved Half-life), and I would say Adventure (or Interactive Decision Maker) wouldn't be my cup of tea, but I am tickled by brilliant fiction, but this game dragged me straight back in to the plight of the survivors, each with their own goals and objectives.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    Finally got round to finishing XCOM. Its anticlimactic ending was made even worse by a camera glitch, so instead of ending cutscenes interspersed with an in-game view of one of my guys using an alien device, they were interspersed with an in-game view of a dark fog-of-war shrouded section of the level miles away from the action.
    Finished it too last week for the first time and I couldn´t believe how bland the ending was. Even the last mission was very easy, and you can replay it as many times as you want even in ironman mode. I arrived with a subpar squad due to my own stupidity in the last stages of the campaign (it included two complete rookies, no colonels, even there weren´t enough plasma guns for everybody), but managed to make it on the second try - after the first I though it was game over and willing to start again, but suprise, the retry last mission button appeared.

Counting the days for Enemy Within :)

Network Hub
    Borderlands is best FPS for people who don't like FPS just like me. BL2 is improvement in making in better FPS but for it was huge downgrade.

Minecraft. I can never go back to unamplified worlds again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Understand that I'm not saying this to try and argue that I r smarter than you, or something. At the same time, while I am enjoying Borderlands 2 - I don't (generally) play games for more than twenty hours just to punish myself - I am partly pointing out what I see as its flaws because I think you can make a very good argument the whole modern-day Roguelike dungeon-crawling genre is fundamentally empty, and Borderlands 2 just reinforced that impression a whole lot more than I was hoping for.

I'm not necessarily saying I'd completely agree with myself if I made that same argument, but if you can tear into Call of Duty on the basis that shootin' manz in a series of linear corridors is dull and pointless and anyone who enjoys it is a bad person who should feel bad, well... I think you can certainly make a pretty good case that building a thirty-, forty-hour game around little more than "kill things, collect loot" is equally dumb. Do the increased level of freedom and the breadth of content really change that you're basically doing an endless series of near-identical fetch quests so you can shoot things in the face and be rewarded with a gun that has bigger numbers attached?

I'm not immune to the lure of that kind of gameplay loop or anything, I can still enjoy the genre and pick favourites - give me Borderlands 2 over Torchlight 2 any day, thanks - but the way RPS set Walker loose on Call of Duty suggests they feel AAA shooters are the only genre of videogame with great big immersion-breaking flaws, (plus laying into CoD = page views) and I simply don't think that's necessarily true. Maybe they'll run more impressions of other videogame sacred cows that argue "Why in the holy hell do we/does anyone find this entertaining?". I wish they would - I think more videogame websites should focus less on smiles and positivity and telling readers what they want to hear. But I'm not crossing my fingers, so in the meantime, I just felt like having a vent.

(But I'll still be starting the game back up in due course and setting more things on fire with a shotgun.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    fundamentally empty
    What do you mean by this?
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Hearthstone is amazing. I even spent some money lol

CODGHOSTS singleplayer: pretty cool. I like the atmosphere. There's a cute doge. I would play more but there's an issue with lighting so I'll wait for a patch.

CODGHOSTS multiplayer: absolutely disgusting. I keep getting stuck in objects because the FoV is too small and the post-apocalyptic theme means the levels make no sense. IW's matchmaking pairs me with players from the dark side of the moon who kill me before I see them.
    I already can't wait for Treyarch's next COD, at least those are playable.

Well, I finished Condemned. Some mixed feelings - gameplay and atmosphere-wise it was excellent, if dragging a little. But the story just left me puzzled. Did I miss something? It seems like none of the paranormal shit ever got explained... or were they setting up for a cliffhanger?
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Command and Conquer: Tiberium Dawn Gold Motherwhiners

Mission 11 I believe of GDI campaign. Still really fun. AI is dumb so tank rush is the only viable option but I really like doing the engineer theft. Feels cheap as hell (hence why they nerfed it in RA) but it is so fun.

Understand that I'm not saying this to try and argue that I r smarter than you, or something.
    I didn't think you meant it that way, don't worry :)

I can understand what you mean when you say that the dungeon-crawling genre is fundamentally empty, but I'm inclined to think that the hack-slash-collect loot-and repeat dungeon crawlers have always been quite empty, compared to deeper RPGs and/or more story driven games. In the end, the gameplay loop is what it's all about. Some games just hide it better than others. Borderlands 2 does an excellent job at hiding the underlying repetitiveness of it all by creating a sense of place and atmosphere, combined with intense FPS combat. It scratches a lot of mental itches at the same time, so to speak: collecting loot, levelling up, completing challenges (Badass rank), exploring, shooting...

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Koobazaur View Post
    Well, I finished Condemned. Some mixed feelings - gameplay and atmosphere-wise it was excellent, if dragging a little. But the story just left me puzzled. Did I miss something? It seems like none of the paranormal shit ever got explained... or were they setting up for a cliffhanger?
    I'm pretty sure Condemned 2 tries to explain it all off. It will take you places you wouldn't expect for the game that Condemned 1 was.I did enjoy both games though... found them more scarey than most horror games... because of the lighting and the brutality of the combat.

Activated Node
    Finally finished RE6 kinda. I beat 3 campaigns and got to Ada but couldn't bother to finish because of all the jankiness with the trainer. Overall decently fun game but I wish it was condense into a 12hrs game instead of being drag out.

Continue with Runner 2. Really fun game and easier than the first one, it's great for short 15 minutes burst. I've beaten world 1 and working on 2. Still don't understand how to get the key to open the lock.

Started on Bioshock 2. I haven't play Bioshock since the original so I really got sucked into the setting and everything is kinda fresh to me since I forgot most of Bioshock 1. Not too far in yet but I intend to beat it and play Minerva's den to see what all the fuss is about.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Continue with Runner 2. Really fun game and easier than the first one, it's great for short 15 minutes burst. I've beaten world 1 and working on 2. Still don't understand how to get the key to open the lock.
    In each world, there's a level that's pictured on the map as a giant cube-thing with a key in it. Beat that level, and all keys become tangible. Now you can collect the key back in a level that has one and proceed through the lock during your run.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardust’s Music Sounds Better With You. There’s lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context that’s cheating -bull0

I'm playing Trine 2. It's beautiful, but I feel cheated. I can no longer kill enemies by dropping boxes on their heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I'm playing Trine 2. It's beautiful, but I feel cheated. I can no longer kill enemies by dropping boxes on their heads.
    It's a fair trade - you can now do it much more sadistically by levitating them into other enemies' swords, arrows, spears, acid, fire, spikes, spinning saws, stone hammers, endless chasms, poisonous plants...

Or, and this is my favorite, hold them helplessly in the air as your companion shoots an icy arrow that freezes them solid, then you drop that living block of ice to the ground and savor watching the precious seconds as they fall and their eyes fill with terror upon realizing the imminent transformation into a pile of dead, bloody, cold body parts.

Man, I love that game.
    Last edited by Maknol; 06-11-2013 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koobazaur View Post
    The original Condemned doesn't offer much of an explanation of the paranormal side of the story. I've never played the second one, since it was never released on pc, but it seems it's all explained in that game (like Tykh02 said). I always figured that the visions and other paranormal events in the first game were products of the decaying mind of the main character. Scary as hell, that game was.

The original Condemned doesn't offer much of an explanation of the paranormal side of the story. I've never played the second one, since it was never released on pc, but it seems it's all explained in that game (like Tykh02 said). I always figured that the visions and other paranormal events in the first game were products of the decaying mind of the main character. Scary as hell, that game was.
    scary?...
    i think that was one of the least scary games i have played that were labeled as horror.
    and i even played it at night with my headphones on.
    only one time i got scared, and that was when a girl came from a small space in the wall which i did not anticipate.