Page 1010 of 1161 FirstFirst ... 10510910960100010081009101010111012102010601110 ... LastLast
Results 20,181 to 20,200 of 23204
    Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    TitanfallThe Stryder Titan with its Unlimited Dash core is much fun. It works well with the Quad Rocket.I really want to see Titanfall using Frostbite with Destructible buildings. The maps with 1-2 capture points in a building can be annoying at times when my big robot can not just simply smash in a hole in the wall to kill the pilot inside. To be fair it does add a nice mix to the maps, requiring you to exit your Titan to cap. Or just defend the cap that allows room for your Titan.Zapping rodeo pilots with electric smoke is always satisfying. I think I dusted 3-4 pilots with one Titan. Each new pilot did not have to remove the armor plating, so I took some hull damage each time after the first.
    I'm going to throw my hat out there... but... if Titanfall is amazingly successful (as in beats BF4 in sales) then I am pretty confident Battlefield 2143 will be rushed out to meet your wishes. In fact... by the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    I think it can be both

A good example is Relic's Warhammer 40k Space Marine. On the surface, that is a third person shooter with an emphasis on melee. But by having the mechanic that you heal through melee kills, it changes the whole dynamic. It starts being about charging the enemy line, tanking a few shots, and then healing up by ripping the head off an Ork. It stops being "just a third person shooter" and starts being something unique (that it then proceeds to be for so long that you forget it was a unique gameplay style and just wish ANYTHING different would happen :p). It is just a simple tactic (that probably doesn't even work on higher difficulty settings), but it greatly changes the flow and style of the game.

Whereas you look at something like Red Faction 1 and most of RF 2 (it might have changed after I lost interest), where the geomod means nothing. Yeah, you can blow up walls, but you aren't going to. You are just going to play. RF: Guerilla was sort of in the middle: Normally you won't be taking advantage of geomod, but it encourages activities like getting in a truck, ramming an outpost, crashing through a wall, rescuing people, and driving out. But you only do that when you are dicking around anyway.

That is mostly what I was getting at. Metal Gear Rising adds the spine sucking as a healing mechanic, but it changes the focus so that you need to balance your energy levels so that you can heal mid-fight, which changes how you approach fights.

Or, like you say, with FPSes. On the surface, UT and CoD are all about controlling the map and taking out your opponents. UT has pick-ups that form the routes, CoD just has level design that funnels people into those routes. But you generally won't turn a corner and see two people circle strafing in CoD, just like you won't see someone ducking behind cover to shoot at people in UT (unless it is instagib, at which point you are basically playing the precursor to CoD).
    The vampiric thing is more for those who want to go melee all the way like in avp, because shooters' maps are not designed to rely on melee as a tactic hence melee charges are very risky for super strong damage.
    Which reminds me i'm playing avp and avp 2 and aliens are overwhelming:0 oh god marine guy run awayohnomnomnom
    Last edited by Wenz; 12-03-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Naramsin View Post
    I was there and I thought the same but there is alwayes a way to figure it out without guessing.
    Agreed, all levels in Hexcells can be solved without guesswork. I'm on the last level of the 5th set in Hexcells Plus, and kinda stuck, but so far Hexcells Plus was also completely solvable without guessing. In other news, the last level of the 5th set is a bitch, and I'm stuck.

I have been playing One Finger Death Punch a lot lately, and it's just fantastic. It is the perfect game when you have half an hour and just want to do something. I've gotten to about 1000 in suvival, by then it just got too fast for me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Creeper world 3 has a washing machine level(hugely heavy moon) . Okay, sure so did world of goo, I guess it's not that original of an idea but I enjoyed it.

I am sort feeling like CW3's difficulty has stopped rising, but I'm early in the campaign, I suppose ultimately racing to finish early is a challenge I'm itself but with some levels running up to 2 hours (with my limited skill) I couldn't bare to lose by rushing.

But this much is sure, the double wall+mortar setup is sorta overpowered at this point in the campaign dig a trough between the two maximum height walls and set mortars to only fire at stuff in between, the splash damage will lower the outer pool enough to give. inside the trough a reduction, you can even quickly convert wall segments into a weapon platform (3 by 3 space) but then you are better moving the mortars up do the walls aren't over spilled.

The washing machine planet was a good example of wave dynamics as a game play mechanic, setting up a sea wall to funnel a wave into a 'kill zone' while possible wasn't really required, the ability to buy global upgrade using a magic goo you can generate is a little cheap because it gives you a way out of bad planning, but I think the generator breaks the games balance. Footnote: Creeper world shares (borrows?) a concept from the game Perimeter where land covered by the reach of a power pylon's in a circle around it provide power which is also the networking range, but the towers can only generate useful power when linked to the HQ.

Power travels down these links and across the longer reaching but non generating relays.
    But this is just your logistical economy and quickly feels natural.

The issue is generators are freestanding structures which can be densely packed and after a few minutes turn an energy profit, yes they require a network but they allow geometric expansion of income without physical expansion.

Maybe the plot will take them away soon. Well see.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Steam tells me I've just cracked the 500-hour mark playing AI War and its expansions. This is particularly impressive since a great deal of my play time on that game takes place outside Steam (under Wine on Linux or just running the DRM-free version) so that 500 hours represents perhaps 70% of my actual play-time. It's even more impressive considering there are significant numbers of things in the game I've not yet seen and options I've not yet tried, and I feel like I'm still learning even as I get noticeably better. Hell, there are still several difficulties I dare not touch and several interesting ways to make the game harder that I haven't dared attempt. It may also be worth noting that play time is spread out over 4 years, this is one of those games I come back to again and again. Every time, there are some new things to learn, some new AI tricks to avoid, some new strategic puzzles to crack. It just doesn't get old.

So short version: best strategy game ever. Brilliant AI, astounding and ever-increasing variety, difficult strategic choices, complex and meaningful systems, and an all-in-all completely unique design unlike anything else I've ever played. Arcen are supposedly looking at releasing a sixth (!) expansion pack this summer, I'll be preordering needless to say.

I'm trying to finish my CK2 Bavaria game before the next expansion hits. Ireland and Skotland have just finished partitioning England. The Umayyads are Catholic. The Ilkhanate is Catholic. Byzantium is Catholic. The Pope is a Mongol. It's one of the weirder playthroughs I've had so far.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    AI War
    Any recommendations on how/where to start? I have done the tutorial twice now, but I keep feeling overwhelmed. I love the idea, I just keep bouncing off.

Just finished the first Assassin's Creed on PC. Yep, I'm a little behind the times...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lasikbear View Post
    Any recommendations on how/where to start? I have done the tutorial twice now, but I keep feeling overwhelmed. I love the idea, I just keep bouncing off.
    First off, you're aware of the wiki, right?

http://www.arcengames.com/mediawiki/...r_-_Fast_Facts
    http://www.arcengames.com/mediawiki/...fficulty_Level
    http://www.arcengames.com/mediawiki/...-_Starting_Out

These days there are "setup scripts" for new players, so it's relatively easy to suggest a good setup for a first campaign. Select "beginner game" from setup scripts in the game lobby. It'll set you up with a reasonable first game, against two difficulty 6 AI's of "easy" types. Don't let any of this fool you, it's still going to be a tough game, and you should be prepared to lose a few times before you really get the hang of things. The "starting out" article I linked from the wiki will give you some hints on what to look for in terms of short term goals.

When you have questions (and you'll have lots of them), look at the rollover text in game (which is extremely informative), then the wiki, and if that fails don't hesitate to ask questions on the forum: http://www.arcengames.com/forums/ind...board,2.0.html

It's a very friendly and helpful community, and I hang out there a lot myself these days.

I'm not sure what else to advise at the moment but I'm happy to answer questions if you have any. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy it!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I returned to Tower of Guns but I think I dislike it more now than I did the last time.

What someone said here is true about it's sound too - there's no variation in the noise and no way to place enemies/bullets with it - it's just a lot of bangs and clangs (the game plays the same when muted).

It's really a piss-poor effort - it's using Unreal Engine and the UT games are a decade old and play FAR FAR better than ToG does.

There are other mis-steps too - enemies with attack patterns are a dumb addition to a game which is randomised - it could take me decades to run into them often enough to learn their patterns!?!?

Really disappointed - both in the game and in the glowing reviews which mostly fail to mention that it's as technically shoddy as it is...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    inbetween Shadowrun Dragonfall (which continues to be excellent) I've been replaying the original Thief: The Dark Project.

After all these years, I still love it. Even Down In The Bonehoard, since once you realise how incapable of actually damaging you Burricks and Zombies are, you ignore them, and it turns into a maze/little puzzle level. Even then, it's surprisingly easy to navigate. Most wrong ways become dead ends quickly. Onto mission 4: Assassins - in which Garrett is a jerk. Crime bosses pressuring you to join up and send mooks to 'persuade' you? Break into his house and take the purse from his belt to send a message.

Network Hub
    Just finished Half Life 2: Episode 1. In all honestly, I was a bit disappointed. It was certainly a good game, but I find that Half Life is at its best when it just leaves you to your own devices in (relatively) larger levels, whereas Episode 1 seemed to funnel you from set-piece to set-piece far too quickly, never allowing you to really get a feel for the environment. Granted, I suppose that that should be expected considering the shorter length of the episodes, but it was still a bit of a let down coming off of the base game, which is one of the best constructed shooters that I've ever played.

Playing deus ex again

Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    Just finished Half Life 2: Episode 1. In all honestly, I was a bit disappointed. It was certainly a good game, but I find that Half Life is at its best when it just leaves you to your own devices in (relatively) larger levels, whereas Episode 1 seemed to funnel you from set-piece to set-piece far too quickly, never allowing you to really get a feel for the environment. Granted, I suppose that that should be expected considering the shorter length of the episodes, but it was still a bit of a let down coming off of the base game, which is one of the best constructed shooters that I've ever played.
    If you have Episode 2, I'd suggest moving on to that. It's still linear, but it does open up every now and again.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Started Shadowrun Dragonfall after completing my daily challenges in Heartstone (am i the only one obssesed with this game ?) I just finished the mandatory catastrophic intro run with a dwarven Streetsam. I really like the way the story is told so far.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I returned to Tower of Guns but I think I dislike it more now than I did the last time.

What someone said here is true about it's sound too - there's no variation in the noise and no way to place enemies/bullets with it - it's just a lot of bangs and clangs (the game plays the same when muted).

It's really a piss-poor effort - it's using Unreal Engine and the UT games are a decade old and play FAR FAR better than ToG does.

There are other mis-steps too - enemies with attack patterns are a dumb addition to a game which is randomised - it could take me decades to run into them often enough to learn their patterns!?!?

Really disappointed - both in the game and in the glowing reviews which mostly fail to mention that it's as technically shoddy as it is...
    I don't get it, I usually agree or sort-of agree with your opinions but in this instance it's like you're playing a completely different game. I've never been hit by an enemy I didn't know was coming because I rely on looking around rather than listening (seems like you're trying to do the latter?), though I do shit myself slightly when I hear the 'poof' of new spawns, I've not seen anything except bosses with learnable attack patterns (everything else either flies or shoots at you) and I've seen (presumably) all the bosses except for the apparently hidden one in the handful of playthroughs I've done, learning how they work takes a few seconds. That is if you don't have a gun that just decimates them almost instantly.

Sure, the sounds are shit, guns feel like crap, physics are basic and there are glitches where you fall through the floor - it's happened to me three times in the exact same place so I don't think that's a huge issue, also I've never gotten stuck on an object as you mentioned previously - but personally I don't think these detract from the game, in much the same way that Space Invaders wouldn't be improved with more graphics, sound and an extra axis of movement. It's certainly not going to win any awards for technical competence but I think it's competent enough to be fun and for the incompetent bits to not ruin the premise of the game, if you get what I mean.

But yeah, UT games did play better.

Quote Originally Posted by fallingcow View Post
    Playing deus ex again
    *fistbump*

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    *fistbump*
    I had a doubt about what a fistbump is... and i found that: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...ifesto/280175/

Promote fistbumps for sanitary reason.... not sure if serious :P

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    Just finished Half Life 2: Episode 1. In all honestly, I was a bit disappointed.
    Episode 1 was the tipping point for where my faith in reviews evaporated. People had their noses crammed so far -signal lost- that they ignored how dull and formulaic episode 1 was, not to mention recycled. It even failed to start with a train ride. Wtf?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I need to stop juggling a lot of games at the same time and just concentrate in one so that I could finish some games this month.

Currently on the playlist:

One Finger Death Punch
    Metro 2033
    Prototype 2 (gave up on P1, it always crash when I load up my save.)
    Dead Space 2
    Fable 3
    Van Helsing
    Major Mayhem
    Anno 2070
    Far Cry 3
    Ass Creed IV

Games I always come back to for a quick game or two:

Nba 2k14
    Defender's Quest
    Torchlight 2
    --------

And now I'm afraid to touch Enemy Within as I know it will occupy all my time.
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem