Page 1033 of 1137 FirstFirst ... 33533933983102310311032103310341035104310831133 ... LastLast
Results 20,641 to 20,660 of 22739
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamlord View Post
    You are a better man than me. The last quarter or so of the puzzles baffled me. Still finished it (last year), but I def looked into some youtube videos for some of the puzzles.
    Yeah, I get that, I think powering through it in a quiet afternoon allowed me the right framework to get fully consumed by its logic. If I'd stopped half way I'd be doomed.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TheImpZA View Post
    Lots
    Most of that comes down to dissatisfaction with the ending, doesn't it? Sure, you have every right to be annoyed and disappointed at the ending, but saying that it was a bad ME game based on that is quite harsh IMO.

As I said before, I think ME1 had the best story. Really, it's the only one that kept me interested. And I understand your criticism of the ending, although I haven't spent much time analyzing its incompatibility with the franchise canon, but before that there were dozens of hours of pretty solid ME gaming.

And AFAICT, ME3 was a character focused, "Talky and Techy" Sci-Fi about the fight against the reapers. It was more action-oriented than the first game, but then again, so was ME2. Apparently, they took some liberties with the technological side of things, and some aspects of the ending were weird beyond canonical issues, but I fail to see how they "abandoned the things that made the series great in the first place."

I did enjoy your comment, but I'll take a rain check on the YouTube channel. It's time for this buoy to bob away into the night-night sea.

Network Hub
    Betrayer is very peculiar.

I really love the ambiance and the setting : you're dumped on an island without knowing why or what to do and you basically explore english settlements and fight dead spaniards and solve the mystery of the deaths of all the people who lived there.

I can't tell you much more about it, mainly because it would spoil important things in a game that is all about discovery, but also because I don't really know what to tell.

I just arrived on the second (big) map and I have to say that the combat is already getting old... But I think I'll put the game in easy mode and see it through, it's an intriguing piece of work.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    So, what, every time a game does something that's been done before a bunch of times you need a big sign up saying "HA HA HA, THIS IS ALL A BIT SILLY REALLY, ISN'T IT"? :(

Again, the Edge review pretty much echoed my thoughts - I found ME1 dull, humourless and self-important, with one-dimensional, vacuous characters (seriously, Liara's entire storyline/her very existence is kinda pathetic, really), some terrible bits of game design for a triple-A production (why did anyone enjoy the inventory system, whyyyyy) and a forgettable central conflict that never really engaged me. You say the sequels handled the lore badly, but... no, there's no way I can make sense of that - the first game just felt like they'd created this giant expanded universe they were so proud of but forgot to include anything to make anyone care beyond a cookie-cutter world-in-peril plotline that could have been swapped with half-a-dozen other games out around the same time without anyone noticing.

Also, I can honestly say hand on heart I absolutely loved the DLC for ME2 which let you visit the Normandy's crash site, if only because that was the closest I got to being able to piss on the Mako's grave. Screw that ridiculous, pointless, broken excuse for an ATV, seriously.
    Right with you on this one, probably mostly doubly adverbly.

I liked ME1 but there was really nothing to the setting or story. In the same way that Dragon Age collated a whole load of fantasy tropes, ME1 did so with sci-fi. But because of how starved gaming is for something so similar it got a bit of a free pass. Going back to it, like I have recently, and I find it amazing how it got so much of a free-pass.

The story is dull and typical end-of-everything rubbish. The sidequests offer better stories but the problem is they don't really tie into the main one that much. Which you may think is great as they build the world... but then you wonder why these planets are otherwise entirely empty and why Shepard gets bothered with only certain small things (like hostage-rescue) of which there will be tonnes going on in the galaxy.
    Three of the characters are crap, while three are good only until you realise they're played very safe and don't stray far from the Bioware stable.
    The gameplay does that awful RPG thing that Deus Ex did where your trained professional main character starts off being unable to hit water if he fell of a ferry. And while the powers don't share a recharge time they have all the bite and feel of a gnat.
    Most of the different equipment is useless, as there are usually 1 or 2 things which are better than everything else (until you can afford the Spectre weaponry which is just better).
    And the Mako was such a piece of shit. You live in a world of spaceships and the best you can come up with is that? Ever heard of a fucking helicopter?

2012-05-06_00079.jpg

It should have been on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Ah.. I need to have finished the game( http://xcom.wikia.com/wiki/Second_Wave ) this is a problem. I get bored by the grind and teleporting in opponents and identikit soldiers, something I hope Enemy Within will resolve.
    Not Created Equally and Hidden Potential are a must and you don't need to beat the game to select them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheImpZA View Post
    *snip*
    Maybe just post a link to the guy's video rather than editing it and posting it as your own with only a minor mention of his (fantastic, by the way, check it out) channel at the end? Just sayin'.

Edit: You fucked with his point, too. It wasn't that ME3 sucked: it was that the ending sucked. WTF, random internet guy/gal?
    Last edited by wrestledwithgod; 29-03-2014 at 03:23 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Not to carry on the ME3 wagon (...) but my narrative issues stretched way beyond the ending. Deus Ex Machina: The Game! Need a way to win an impossible war? HERE'S A SUPER WEAPON. But don't worry, we'll try to make it subtle by not knowing what it actually does. That's okay, isn't it? Not explaining something because you're not supposed to know? I'm glad you agree! Now go around and resolve these conflicts that couldn't at all wait until after we'd put aside our, relatively speaking, minor differences and NOT BECOME EXTINCT. It's as if everyone in that universe come the third game was fighting over who had control of The Idiot Ball. UCH.

And on the subject of AI, I seem to be encountering difficulties I never encountered previously in Shogun 2: Total War. Now in older TW games, when the armies got big you just ended up mushing them together in one big splurge of "MAKE THE ENEMY DIE AND YOU NOT!" which generally worked. I'm expecting a little more finesse now, so when I beautifully craft my vast army into a capable machine of organisation and death dealing, I sort of expect the game to keep track of my very simple commands: 1. Stay in formation. 2. Don't leave formation.

Now you, dear reader, might say "But aren't they the same?" Yes! Indeed, they are! Except Shogun 2 has a desire that the formation you've created is more a loose interpretation of what it was doing exactly 10 seconds previously. I get it, some units have different movement speed, but is it that hard to realise that you've been grouped up with other units in a very specific, very sensible manner? Well, apparently. A massive battle with almost 2500 men on each side consisted of 15 minutes shuffling into position. By the time I said fuck it and just clicked all my melee units, pointed at one of the enemy units and just had done, I was beginning to laugh at the directions that some were taking, as well as the directions some had to take because without me noticing they'd waddled into the middle of nowhere.

And I certainly won't be forgetting my archers' tactical retreat of splitting from their nice formation line and dividing into two directions. Allow me to paint the scene crudely:

Enemy: ............\/........

Archers: .....<<.......>>

HOW?! WHY?! I don't know. Now you're going to ask "Well why don't you just bloody auto-resolve it at this point?" Again, a superb question, one that I have pondered many times. The answer is that this is the result of me auto-resolving large battles that should've easily gone in my favour, but I'd end up losing most of my army in what the game would decree a "Decisive victory" simply because the enemy had been almost wiped out. I was...not entirely happy with that result. I took control manually and the battle out-come was vastly different, highlighting just how superior my force was, barely losing 1/6 of what the AI did, whilst simultaneously taking out more of the enemy.

I appreciate auto-resolve is supposed to be the compromise between 20-30 minutes of precision and a quick resolve, but I also don't expect the difference within that to be almost an entire army's difference! And if it's all a numbers game, how the hell did the game think I didn't deserve to absolutely slaughter them so comprehensibly considering I had every advantage going in?

And on top of all this, I'm at that mid-game point where the enemy only has vast armies that seem to come out of nowhere and only seem to be used against you, despite you looking at the map and clearly identifying much more valid threats that are closer to home. Urgh. I really would like to win a campaign, even a short one, but it's frustrating that I seem to be approaching these mechanical issues. It just makes the whole thing frustrating because there's a great degree of depth there to explore, but you can become a psychic playing these games knowing when stuff is going to happen that you have to react to and it never feels like you have enough time to execute anything because there's an army knocking at your door. I won't at all proclaim I'm something special at the game, but it gets tiring seeing the same patterns.

EDIT: Oh, and while I'm at it, played some Hawken earlier. After being completely whipped by players who had played for longer and, not because of skill, but because they had the experience points to buy parts that make their mechs better with no repercussions, it was a reminder that I bloody miss arena shooters where you had everything available to you at the start that you needed. I might re-install UT04. I mean jeez, it's been 10 years and there hasn't really been anything since that's in the same hemisphere of quality and intent. What the hell, gaming industry? What the hell.

EDIT 2: This feels appropriate.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 29-03-2014 at 05:01 AM.