Page 1050 of 1190 FirstFirst ... 505509501000104010481049105010511052106011001150 ... LastLast
Results 20,981 to 21,000 of 23793
    I've been playing a bit of Alan Wake. I keep thinking of mr Wake as Max Payne. As in, 'That's stupid, why would Max Payne do that?!'.

And also I've started career mode in Kerbal space program, and with the amount of science I'm doing I regret not using a custom Aperture Science Laboratories flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    I was trekking through here to see what folks were playing when I came upon this post. After the first sentence I was ready to offer my condolences. After the second I was...worried. Until the last word of the first paragraph I was beginning to become very concerned.

Then I saw the word 'heir' and knew immediately I had missed something. So I scrolled back up a ways and saw the 'Playing Crusader Kings 2' line at the top.

Does this game always generate such in depth personal narratives? Much as I enjoy reading and a good intrigue, perhaps I overlooked this somehow.
    Yea, but much of that that in-depth narrative will involve miserable defeat for your faction unless you are a veteran powergamer. Your head of family will go bug-eating insane while your greedy children tear your holdings apart murdering each other which will leave your last-standing heir to be the one who turned out to be a flaming bender. Trying to do any actual crusading in the holy land inevitably ends as a gloriously expensive fiasco. Crusader Kings gives the same sort of enjoyment a child gets by poking an anthill with a stick just to see what will happen.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy horse View Post
    Yea, but much of that that in-depth narrative will involve miserable defeat for your faction unless you are a veteran powergamer. Your head of family will go bug-eating insane while your greedy children tear your holdings apart murdering each other which will leave your last-standing heir to be the one who turned out to be a flaming bender. Trying to do any actual crusading in the holy land inevitably ends as a gloriously expensive fiasco. Crusader Kings gives the same sort of enjoyment a child gets by poking an anthill with a stick just to see what will happen.
    Very interesting. Also, that fits with much of what I have read about the game now I think back on it. Most of the best stories in this game do seem to revolve around defeat. Utter, complete, glorious defeat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Running With Rifles is pretty great, really. It's like a top down Arma but without all the complexity, but with the difficulty. The AI is very smart, with a few exceptions, sometimes I think I might be playing with humans (until I see how competent humans play) until they do something like empty a magazine at the floor trying to hit an enemy on the other side of a hill... But that's pretty much what I used to do.

Tonight I unlocked the sniper rifle so I gave it a try, I had been hoping it would let you see more of the battlefield but it doesn't, unless it's just a tiny bit more, I'm not sure. It does give you a super accurate shot, as you'd expect, but it's not always a one-hit kill. It seems to make the AI panic a bit too so it's a good suppressive weapon, like the machine guns, but unlike the machine guns you can fire it without being prone and you quite often hit what you're shooting at... But, next to guys with assault rifles and submachine guns, I feel a bit useless.

I've played a bit of Dragon Age: Origins. This is my third time, I think. I like the game, but I don't think it's on the level of earlier games, certainly not even close to Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment as some people would claim. That's not to say Dragon Age sucks, it just feels too formulaic, even for Bioware*. At least with the proper mods and high difficulty even the almost endless filler combat becomes bearable, which is my biggest gripe.

*Dragon Age 2 is a much better game in terms of freshness of story telling, we all know the problems with it being rushed. It's not so bad when you stop thinking about it as Dragon Age 2 and pretend it's a spin off. Mind you, the problems with it are obvious and can't be justified but I liked how they tried to move away from the Bioware formula. I'm hoping Inquisition will be better.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    Running With Rifles is pretty great, really. It's like a top down Arma but without all the complexity, but with the difficulty. The AI is very smart, with a few exceptions, sometimes I think I might be playing with humans (until I see how competent humans play) until they do something like empty a magazine at the floor trying to hit an enemy on the other side of a hill... But that's pretty much what I used to do.

Tonight I unlocked the sniper rifle so I gave it a try, I had been hoping it would let you see more of the battlefield but it doesn't, unless it's just a tiny bit more, I'm not sure. It does give you a super accurate shot, as you'd expect, but it's not always a one-hit kill. It seems to make the AI panic a bit too so it's a good suppressive weapon, like the machine guns, but unlike the machine guns you can fire it without being prone and you quite often hit what you're shooting at... But, next to guys with assault rifles and submachine guns, I feel a bit useless.
    Running with Rifles is currently the best shooter out there. Nothing else is at the same level of brilliance as far as i'm concerned.

Finished Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons earlier. Spoilers: I knew something was wrong with that girl. When she crawled over the log instead of walking, I just had a bad feeling.
    Great game overall, very atmospheric and pretty.
    GW2: Urraca Aldor

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    Very interesting. Also, that fits with much of what I have read about the game now I think back on it. Most of the best stories in this game do seem to revolve around defeat. Utter, complete, glorious defeat.
    It's not exactly the most accessible game in the world, but its brilliance is that you don't really need to win or even be a good player for you to enjoy it. The in-game tutorials are pretty boring and mechanical, better check out an LP like this if you decide to give it a try:

http://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2/
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Having picked up a small netbook which I convinced myself was for going back to Uni, I am playing The Banner Saga on that, a game I picked up on release but never made it more than an hour in for some reason.

On my desktop I'm bouncing between League of Legends, AssCreed IV, Tower of guns and TitanFall. Occasional Spurts of Dark Souls when I feel I can deal with it but I can't seem to get into it.

I'm playing Pokemon Liquid Crystal, a ROM hack based on Fire Red, and a spectacular scripting bug caused me to end up in the black void that envelops the outside of buildings you entered. I made the stupid decision to save the game right there so I could avoid losing an hour of progress in the hope that I could get out of there somehow, not fully realising that not being able to do so would mean losing all 25 hours I'd put into the game until then. But after some save game juggling to and from my Android emulator and my PC emulator, a lot of frustration with ghostlike save games that the emulators seem to produce, and some noclip cheats I'm back in the game. Hooray! I feel so accomplished.

Also playing Teleglitch now and then, and with the routine I'm developing I get the urge to write a guide on how to play it, just to organize my thoughts a bit. Which is probably a bit premature given I haven't managed to beat level 8 yet, but I can get to level 5 consistently, so I think I'm doing decently.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I bet the Twitch Plays Pokémon stream has sky-rocketed emulator and rom usage of Pokémon games and they were already pretty darn popular (but obviously Pokémon can't work on a non-mobile platform with reduced social elements...). I know I played a lot of X on my 3DS whilst watching the stream.

Anyhow...

In today's JG's Adventures, the story arc of "Without my GPU" continues with a glimpse into the madness of having his game collection be reduced to a handful of games that are playable. And playable is a loose interpretation in some cases!

You'd think I'd try and use this time to accomplish something else, but if anything it's just driven me to find what does work. So what does? Well, what I've tried thus far includes FTL (despite my issues with the game, it remains eminently playable), 2D Sonics, including Sonic CD, and Torchlight 2. I also imagine Binding of Isaac and VVVVVV will work, considering both work on my more broken laptop, but having 'completed' Isaac not so long ago and having no desperate appeal to go back and do some of the challenge stuff in VVVVVV, I've used to start them up.

So, FTL. I have gotten to the point now where easy is just straight up too easy, appear from when the game decides you're going to lose and you can only sit back and watch the fires burn. Normal still feels scummy though and I go back to my issue of not feeling like my application of skill is worth as much as I feel it should be. I entirely accept it's at odds with how the game is designed to be and at around 38 hours, that's not exactly bad for something I take issue with, but it is so quick and easy to play, the music is great (even if I will confess to turning that off and listening to some highly interesting Nerdist podcasts) and it's very easy to pause to leave and come back to. I...don't know how much more active I feel I can be in the game though than I already am; I can micro-manage fine, control things well, even in chaos, but I don't feel like it's enough.

Then there's Sonic which is, well, Sonic. I love it, and quite honestly I was surprised that CD worked because of the engine it works on, but I have also fully completed that. Then again, I thought I'd completely finished Sonic 2 and earlier this year I found out about a route I was never aware of before, some 22 years after its release! That leads me onto Torchlight 2. I've sung its praises plenty of times before and apparently I must do so again. Enabling Netbook mode, which I feel is a universal laugh at my expense although incidentally unlike TL1, it's an option you need to manually change in an .ini, as opposed to in the options menu, turning everything else off or completely down and a run resolution of 720 (native for me is, of course, 1080) and it, well...well it looks like this:

(Character name, Tara (it was going to be Tear, but I didn't think that worked well as a name) and my pet is a panther called Glitch (which I do think works well as a name)

Comparison shot to everything at full, 1080:

Never the mind! Despite how...questionable it looks, it does actually run at a constant 60fps (from best I can tell) so it maintains its smooth feel and great play. I have also decided to start a Hardcore run, which in itself triggers an achievement, of a Veteran difficulty Engineer. Yeah, yeah, I know it's cheesy, but 1) I haven't done a Hardcore run in TL2 before, or any of these types of games really apart from Path of Exile recently, and that was in a group and 2) I haven't had a run with the Engineer yet. My RPG build is Gun and Broad, but looking over the talents there's some really fun synergies you can clearly pull off. Most of them I won't be able to do, of course, but like the Embermage which I've played extensively with, there's a lot of options which is great.

The main problem of course is that single handed guns almost entirely go off needing Dexterity, a stat I don't see myself going into too much. This means my weapons are probably always going to be a little under-levelled for the environment, but I suppose that's where the abilities come in. I shall be playing the role of a tinker, so lots of bots and fire and electric damage where possible. Hey, just because it's Hardcore doesn't mean I can't do it my own way, right? Only had one close encounter, the first boss you come across in a side quest almost took me down, but one potion and I was as nicely topped up for victory. It's fun! Knowing you can die certainly adds an element of fun and excitement to it and to play a little conservatively, which is something I usually have a bit of trouble with.

I'll leave you with a bonus pic of poor/broken graphics. (I'll post my full set in the Screenshot thread.)