Page 1083 of 1183 FirstFirst ... 83583983103310731081108210831084108510931133 ... LastLast
Results 21,641 to 21,660 of 23659
    Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiphat View Post
    Icewind dale

I started this by playing one character and getting my arse handed to me, then I scratched my head abit thinking surely its not this hard, what am I doing wrong? where can I go for other characters to join me? I had to look in the manual to realise that you have to create a party right at the start of your game. How embarrassing.

I got half way through the game and then gave up. It started to dawn on me that it was a boring wave combat simulator. Move a few iches to uncover the fog of doom and reveal the not so suprising mobs. Theres hardly any story, just battle after battle. I thought it might improve, provide some meat instead it was just the usual soggy lentils. I need my RPGs to have some in depth story and not to be all combat all of the time. To go from Baulders gate to this, slightly shocking.
    Icewind Dale was indeed a bit a 'poor man' Baldur's Gate', given the basic storyline, but it's biggest advantage was indeed the possibility to create your own party. No more bitching around with a Thief who stopped her skills seven levels ago, or shuffling around the best Mage with the best Ranger who can be in the same party langer then a fortnight.. For all the great characters BG delivered, the skillsets were often limited at best..

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    My eldest runs to me because he's having trouble in Skyrim one of his wedding guests was necromancer, serial killer and all round bad guy Naris the Wicked. Granted immortality by the wedding script he proceeded to attack the other people at the wedding.

Ultimately he needed to reload and cancel the wedding, emergent.
    That's beautiful.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    Legend of Grimrock. Boy, is this game good. It really captures the feel of being in an actual dungeon, including grabbing torches off the wall to light the way. It's a shame a lot of the puzzles involve searching for tiny buttons though, it feels a bit cheap. Is there a way to offload excess equipment at a merchant or something, or am I better off just dumping things I don't need?
    Unlike 99% of the RPGs out there Grimrock has a little respect for its own premise: the dungeon is a chance to escape certain death (and probably worse than death in the minds of the people who threw you in), it's a dangerous place not Dungeonland. There's a distinct element of survival built into it: you won't find tons and tons of more or less valuable stuff lying around (no "oh look there's an interesting book in this barrel here in the middle of the swamp!") for the most part it's (a limited selection of) crap and a somewhat limited amount of useful stuff (torches are the sole exception).

Later(?) you do get some help in the form of someone who's been there before you, but no merchants or other unplausible stuff. That is up to the point where I dropped it because it was becoming too hard and the combat some kind of hectic dance, and there is no way to change difficulty without restarting the whole game (fat chance, I was several hours in!)

The puzzles are mostly inspired by the classics LoG pays homage to: hidden buttons/levers, teleporters, slots in the walls, locks, spinning/weight sensitive plates, the whole shebang. The classics AFAICT were worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    Avadon. It's the worst Spiderweb game I've played by far (...) it's still better than three quarters of the other games I have.
    Ha!
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Deeply offended at not being invited, Naris the Wicked basically shows up like Maleficent and proceeds to wreak the party? You can't make this up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    DayZ

Someone killed me unprovoked from behind and THEN asked if I was friendly in both Russian AND relatively good English. His voice sounded 10 years old at best. My co-op buddy ran away because it was way too surreal. Then he lost all hist stuff because of the server glitch. We're broke now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Deeply offended at not being invited, Naris the Wicked basically shows up like Maleficent and proceeds to wreak the party? You can't make this up.
    My son went to marry someone else and now the other would be bride is his house carl, it's like cinderella backwards.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Just tried some Story About My Uncle. And I am...torn.

On the one hand its not what I expected. From the previews and such I expected speed and momentum and blazing through levels. Didn't read deeply enough about the game, however, and that's on me.

Its really a puzzle platformer in first person. Levels consist of a series of puzzles, so, you're constantly stopping and starting, as you try and puzzle out the (so far only) correct approach to each puzzle jump.

All of which is vaguely disappointing, really. The movement system itself is fantastic and I can picture it being a feature in a great many games. With the right level design, a game using this system could really be a thrill to play. But this one is more about 3D puzzling than speed, momentum and excitement.

Still intend to go back to it and give it another try, but I wouldn't actually recommend it to anyone except diehard platformer-puzzle fans.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    Just tried some Story About My Uncle. And I am...torn.

On the one hand its not what I expected. From the previews and such I expected speed and momentum and blazing through levels. Didn't read deeply enough about the game, however, and that's on me.

Its really a puzzle platformer in first person. Levels consist of a series of puzzles, so, you're constantly stopping and starting, as you try and puzzle out the (so far only) correct approach to each puzzle jump.
    So exactly like Mirror's Edge, then. Ohohohohoh I went there.

EDIT: To be fair to ME, much as I hate it - and this game, I guess, even though I haven't played it - I'm not sure it's really possible to make a game like this where you're guaranteed lightning-fast sprinting from the off, regardless of what the levels throw at you. Unless it's some sort of endless runner. But still, your description pretty much mirrors my experience of ME.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 29-05-2014 at 01:27 AM.
    I post photos here. I write stories here. I'm on Twitter here.

I wouldn't describe Mirror's Edge as a puzzle. As for speed, as you note, to have it work at lightning speed on your first go, it would have to be impossible to lose, or very difficult. But once you get good at it? The mechanics capture a sense of flow and momentum and movement that very few games do.

The same with Endless Runners, really. Until you've seen everything it can throw at you and thus enter into endurance mode? Every new mechanic will break your flow. It's a matter of different focuses and different scales but it's a similar idea. Heck, same with racing games.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

The all white and strikes of colour visual style from Mirror's Edge is meant to make some elements to stand out to help you work out the middle. The goals are shown to players and all that is left to do is to find the subversive zig-zag path as opposed to blues who go for the straight main route. It's all puzzle:P
    Ofc this is going to screw with momentum

First M.E. is probably a game that is better enjoyed on paper rather than in the flesh, looking at semiotics and the whole "living on the edge" of control, roofs, city clouds mirroring the sky the shard is the only link to etc. Next one might be more forgiving at providing shortcuts due to a different level design
    Last edited by Wenz; 29-05-2014 at 09:24 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vdwd View Post
    Icewind Dale was indeed a bit a 'poor man' Baldur's Gate', given the basic storyline, but it's biggest advantage was indeed the possibility to create your own party. No more bitching around with a Thief who stopped her skills seven levels ago, or shuffling around the best Mage with the best Ranger who can be in the same party langer then a fortnight.. For all the great characters BG delivered, the skillsets were often limited at best..
    Of course, you can do exactly the same thing in the Baldur's Gate games by playing in Multiplayer mode, on your own. Having said that, such a party probably unbalances the game a bit if you optimize their stats completely and you know what you're doing.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post

EDIT: To be fair to ME, much as I hate it - and this game, I guess, even though I haven't played it - I'm not sure it's really possible to make a game like this where you're guaranteed lightning-fast sprinting from the off, regardless of what the levels throw at you. Unless it's some sort of endless runner. But still, your description pretty much mirrors my experience of ME.
    Funny you mention it. It also mirrors my experience with ME. Should have known better i guess.

Still, I am done with dismissing a game after the first negative impression. I will give it a day or three and go back to it. Give it another try. Might just be some tiny nuance of the movement or mechanics i am missing.

Like i said, i want to like it. and it is nice to play a game that does not involve killing a whole bunch of things for a change.

Lesser Hivemind Node Prolar Bear's Avatar
    This is weird.
    I've been playing Dark Souls II, but also varying things up with X3: TC and -wait for it- Black Ops 2.

DS2 is great, obviously, but I wanted something more accessible and fun for short bursts so I caved in and got BO2 for 15 bucks. I hate COD and its marketing and its huge budget and all the American propaganda etc...but dangit, the multiplayer is great, for a game that's casual-oriented. I've been having a blast with it, with decent bots to boot; the maps are very nice and colourful, something that's lacking in that travesty of a game that MW3 is. I think the problem with COD arises when people take it as the only videogame in existence, and as serious business.

I also wasn't expecting to get into X3. It just clicked. I know it's a complex game, but I somewhat got immersed into it at the first sitting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    I wouldn't describe Mirror's Edge as a puzzle. As for speed, as you note, to have it work at lightning speed on your first go, it would have to be impossible to lose, or very difficult. But once you get good at it? The mechanics capture a sense of flow and momentum and movement that very few games do.
    The puzzle is how to get good at it. ;) The game, for me, was not the sense of momentum, it was trying to work out how not to get killed over and over or how to stop falling off rooftops. Once I got good at it (enough to finish it, at least) I stopped playing very quickly because I didn't think the sense of momentum running the optimum routes offered enough gratification (after all that swearing and grinding my teeth) to keep on shaving seconds off my times. (I tried for some of the achievements, and bought the DLC, but it didn't last.) I think the people who praised it were basically so in love with the concept they were willing to just blank all the grief it took to solve those puzzles and play the game the "correct" way.

And I'm aware that speedrunners found a bunch more shortcuts and ways to keep getting faster and so on. I stopped paying any attention to those when I saw the sort of thing they were doing - stand on this sofa here, stare at the wall, leap up to this lamp you shouldn't be able to stand on and over the railing thus shaving thirty seconds off the fastest route... that's just breaking the game, to me, not playing creatively with the environment.

I just hated it. Terrible level design. Dull visuals - you heard: I don't think the aesthetic works in practice like 90% of the time, beyond a couple of areas everyone posts screenshots of (the white trees in particular just make me cringe). Horrible sense of flow until you've played the levels a hundred times and worked out the right way to do it. And that's not even touching on the awful, awful story, or the terrible "game-y" bits (anything involving guns, or boss fights, or supercops)...

I didn't find it empowering - quite the opposite, to be honest. I know failure's usually an inevitable part of that sort of game, but the best endless runners mean you barely even notice when you've screwed up, and the basic play is fun enough you don't care. Crackdown I was "failing" to traverse the city almost constantly but while I knew I could always progress quicker, more efficiently, just playing the game was so joyously, gloriously entertaining I didn't really care I was doing it wrong. (I enjoyed getting better, but I enjoyed just playing, too.) Mirror's Edge I felt every screwup like a god damned kick in the teeth, and half the time even when things were going okay simply being in that world and playing the way DICE wanted me to play just wasn't enough.

Kinda interesting interview with Mr Briscoe
    http://www.edge-online.com/features/...he-impossible/

I remember people blaming development hell after the first Mirror's Edge pre something video about a guy gunning people around. That's likely the case since the only progression in the final game comes from the weapons carried from the cops, the game was past a point it was too expensive to redesign. Different level designs kicked in.
    Eventually people saw the beauty of M.E. through the most authentic "virtual reality" moments, like in valve games, spiced up with clear visuals and full body experience. Your ideal kind of oculus rift game
    Last edited by Wenz; 29-05-2014 at 02:30 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Son's skyrim Wife has a BFF who is wandering about his house along with his ex-fiancť.

Seemingly if he get beheaded in a quest line he'll keep walking around the house headless.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Skyrim keeps getting better and better.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Ugh. Scratch everything complimentary I said about The First Templar, it's shit after all. The levels resort to way too much padding, the script descends into mediocrity and "Chicks, huh?" lowest-common-denominator comedy nonsense, and now it's thrown in insta-fail stealth sections - or to be fair they're not technically insta-fail but really, they'd be less annoying if they were. You have somehow crossed some guard's arbitrary line of sight somewhere, and now you must beat all the enemies in the area if you don't want to fail - only we've thrown in multiple shielded enemies and ones with massive melee range in tight, cramped levels with shitty bounding boxes, so you'll effectively be stunlocked over and over until you've got about five seconds left to kill the lot of them! Yeah, no thanks, Haemimont. Uninstalled, and if that's your approach to game design I'm not too eager to check out Tropico, either. Oh, well, not the first time I've chucked $2 down the drain.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Son's skyrim Wife has a BFF who is wandering about his house along with his ex-fiancť.

Seemingly if he get beheaded in a quest line he'll keep walking around the house headless.

Would that be this guy by any chance?

I married Moll but didn't realise this creepy bastard would be moving in as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    The puzzle is how to get good at it. ;) The game, for me, was not the sense of momentum, it was trying to work out how not to get killed over and over or how to stop falling off rooftops. Once I got good at it (enough to finish it, at least) I stopped playing very quickly because I didn't think the sense of momentum running the optimum routes offered enough gratification (after all that swearing and grinding my teeth) to keep on shaving seconds off my times. (I tried for some of the achievements, and bought the DLC, but it didn't last.) I think the people who praised it were basically so in love with the concept they were willing to just blank all the grief it took to solve those puzzles and play the game the "correct" way.
    I guess I don't see how iterative gameplay automatically makes something a puzzle. I see Antichamber and Portal 1 and Spacechem as puzzles. Sure in Bit.Trip I have to figure out how not to die and when to press what. But it's more about practice and iteration than discovery. ME is more in the middle, but I'd say it's primarily iterative as opposed to discovered.

Also you're doing that thing again where you're judging the motivations of the people who enjoy the game rather than simply disagreeing with them. Stop that, it's insufferable nonsense.

Iterative play always has a frustrating lead-up. The question is how well it balances frustration and elation. For you, it did not do so well. That doesn't give you license to act like everyone else was drinking the kool-aid.