Page 1131 of 1258 FirstFirst ... 13163110311081112111291130113111321133114111811231 ... LastLast
Results 22,601 to 22,620 of 25160
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    what is this I don't even

That just feels... very wrong. :( Yes, I know, opinions and all, but jeez. I admit I've had any number of dumb internet arguments about how obviously glorious Nipponese is always better than filthy gaijin-speak (hopefully that comes across the way I meant it to?), but seriously, even as a committed Asiaphile (who's actually read ROTK, at that) part of the appeal of those particular games for me has always been Cow Cow and gormless, ridiculous camp and all the rest of it. I dunno. Perhaps it would grow on me? Still, though, my first thought is it'd be like putting a fandub of skilled Shakespearean actors over Commando or Predator.
    I don't mind camp but the complete lack of emotions kinda kills it for me. Hey, I enjoyed the english Devil May Cry Version and the bad voiceacting but atleast it tried emotions. If a bit misplaced but that made it funny. And Warriors Orochi 3 does just fine with the voiceacting, campy but not that bad. But DW8 english is... bad. They removed the silly and made it... just bad. The actual kicker in DW8 were all the removed voiceovers though. So many NPCs just move their mouth but nothing comes out too.

And aye, I get the discussion. As someone born in germany, I was subjected to some real mood killing voiceovers and have had many arguments over why english is often the superior choice. Silly, I know... but a chaotic evil Wizard that shouts his warcry in a local over the top dialect kinda killed BG1 for me, for a while.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theForged View Post
    I don't mind camp but the complete lack of emotions kinda kills it for me. Hey, I enjoyed the english Devil May Cry Version and the bad voiceacting but atleast it tried emotions. If a bit misplaced but that made it funny. And Warriors Orochi 3 does just fine with the voiceacting, campy but not that bad. But DW8 english is... bad. They removed the silly and made it... just bad. The actual kicker in DW8 were all the removed voiceovers though. So many NPCs just move their mouth but nothing comes out too.
    Yeah, to be fair I've not played it (on any platform - my last one was 7, I think), and I can easily believe that thinking they were going to "fix" it Konami/Omegaforce might well have screwed it up even more. Damn it, I am enjoying Wolfenstein, but part of me wishes I'd gone for DW8 instead... oh, well. It'll be back on sale eventually.
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm a sucker for DW games but £20 is a LOT of money for a PC game these days - I'd want something they'd bothered to make a decent job-of for that money.

£10 now - at £10 I'll be in like Flynnn.....

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I'm a sucker for DW games but £20 is a LOT of money for a PC game these days - I'd want something they'd bothered to make a decent job-of for that money.

£10 now - at £10 I'll be in like Flynnn.....
    Compared to the potential entertainment value/playtime I stand to get out of a DW game it's not that much, even for a half-assed port (as long as it, you know, works), but I can understand how that wouldn't be the case for a lot of people.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Compared to the potential entertainment value/playtime I stand to get out of a DW game it's not that much, even for a half-assed port (as long as it, you know, works), but I can understand how that wouldn't be the case for a lot of people.
    Yeah, I actually paid full price for the PS4 version (wasn't sure what the internet situation would be for the next few months) and it is worth every penny. I won't be going for the 100% everything, but I am having fun doing all the stories and trying to unlock the hypothetical routes.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Yeah, I actually paid full price for the PS4 version (wasn't sure what the internet situation would be for the next few months) and it is worth every penny. I won't be going for the 100% everything, but I am having fun doing all the stories and trying to unlock the hypothetical routes.
    You can resell the PS4 version so it's value is a rather different kettle of bananas entirely ;0

As well as playing Trove, I also played the closed beta weekend of Archeage (both Trion Worlds games) and - erm...

Archeage is a CryEngine MMO - it's quite pretty, quite varied, quite ambitious in it's scope and - 2 hours with it was a blur of "go there - kill 3 things - come back" - I got VERY bored (and I hated the twiky Chinesey music so much I killed it entirely)

Same feeling I had for Wildstar - loads of stuff going-on of which I cared not 1 jot about any of it - stop telling me of ancient lore in lengthy cutscenes, stop trying to make a 'kill 3 enemies' quest into an epic tale etc. etc.

If I'd not enjoyed Trove so much I might assume that MMOs held nothing for me at all anymore...
    Last edited by trjp; 21-07-2014 at 03:13 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    You can resell the PS4 version so it's value is a rather different kettle of bananas entirely ;0
    Not if you grab the PSN version (or just acknowledge you may want to play a game more than once)
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Oh look, Sokobond has been released (on Steam). You can get it at http://www.sokobond.com/ for eight dollars. It really is chemistry-themed Sokoban: you're given a collection of atoms and you have to combine them into a real molecule, but it doesn't tell you which. Also, you control only one atom, so it's kinda like playing Sokoban as a box. Having a basic knowledge of chemistry helps in that regard, but since all the atoms display their unpaired electrons, you can figure out the solution even if you haven't had a single chemistry class in your life. And it tells you chemical facts every time you complete a level. Lovely!
    Last edited by LTK; 21-07-2014 at 08:38 PM.

Network Hub
    Finished Mass Effect. I played a little differently this time, I went to my feminst side and went all female crew, renegade Laura Shepard, she certainly enpowers me! The writing is a little clunky and the delivery too but I think thats just the game showing its old. I made a mage err I think...the spells that are warp and shield. Didn't like it much, i'm more of a shooty bang bang guy and I only had a pistol. Anyway the combat is poor, the AI on both sides are atrocious, some levels are copy and paste and are as about bland as a pint of larger, and the encomey side of things are a little buggered but! for its faults it certainly had a charm about it. The RPG Charm I think. Stats, loot and story.

I went straight into Mass Effect 2 and wow the difference. Hardly any RPG, its more like a action shooter with a after thought of an RPG stuck on. Hardly any loot, no real involvment in the level up and interaction with only things that benefit you. Still at least the combat is better. I was hoping to go and play Mass effect 3 after but i'm not sure. I need a little more meat on the bones when I go and play role play.

More bundle scraping with the bundled doujin games I bought that have ended up with Steam keys. Vanguard Princess is... sigh. There seems to be a pretty damned good 2D fighter in here, under some really regrettable design choices. The art is terrific, or at least very, very polished - I wouldn't blame anyone in the slightest for being put off, given the characters are all huge-breasted babes or wildly over-sexualised loli-types. I'm not too keen on it myself but the production values, at least, are miles above your typical doujin release. Gameplay mechanics seem fairly solid - I'm not remotely an expert but the move lists and the use of support characters seem a tad more adventurous than your average King of Fighters knock-off. It's just, as several Steam reviews have complained, you can't use a stick, you can't use the D-pad on your controller (thumbstick, keyboard or nothing) and easy mode is anything but. If you're a scrub like myself the AI will frequently lock you into lengthy combos, smack you silly all around the screen and barely let you get a single hit in.

I'd love to give this some more time, embarrassing nerd-bait aesthetics aside, but I just don't really see that happening. A shame. Dunno if I'd pay the full price they're asking but given I got it in a bundle I dearly wish I could actually play it some more. Oh, well.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Finally gave in and got Battlefield 4. It's... Battlefield 3. As expected. I've watched a lot of videos and played in the beta, so I knew exactly what I was getting into. I'm having fun so far. Might get Premium at some point, but there's plenty of guns and maps in vanilla.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    Finally gave in and got Battlefield 4. It's... Battlefield 3. As expected. I've watched a lot of videos and played in the beta, so I knew exactly what I was getting into. I'm having fun so far. Might get Premium at some point, but there's plenty of guns and maps in vanilla.
    At least you waited until they fix the bugs. Mostly. Sending the right signal and all...

After caving in to buying Dishonored I thought I'd take a look today. Had me playing for 100min. which is probably a good sign. Movement/combat feels good, textures are yikes up close but given the art style they're still ok. People look a bit silly though, with their hands bigger than their heads. Can't say I'm impressed with how the stealth works thus far. Wouldn't know how to make my way out of the jail in the beginning without killing anyone. Will see...

Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    At least you waited until they fix the bugs. Mostly. Sending the right signal and all...

After caving in to buying Dishonored I thought I'd take a look today. Had me playing for 100min. which is probably a good sign. Movement/combat feels good, textures are yikes up close but given the art style they're still ok. People look a bit silly though, with their hands bigger than their heads. Can't say I'm impressed with how the stealth works thus far. Wouldn't know how to make my way out of the jail in the beginning without killing anyone. Will see...
    I seem to remember it took me a little while to get used to, but IIRC the main complaint about the game is that going the stealthy route makes it laughably easy. I can't recall what had me stuck at first... it can be a fairly slow-paced game, I guess, and if you're not using Blink then you really feel that methodical creeping around waiting for guards to turn their backs or go down another corridor. Ghosting out of the jail is perfectly doable, though, which is why there's an achievement for it. :)

I thought the art was stunning (though a few of the city backdrops got kinda... dreary and a tad too repetitive) and the low-res textures never really bothered me, but each to his own and all. Still, many of Duncan Harris's high-res shots look phenomenal IMO.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    The low-res textures don't really "bother" me either, especially for a game from 2012. I was just listing the stuff that stood out for me from the top of my head. I'm not familiar enough with the controls yet, so I shall see how the stealth will turn out eventually. I'm not going to try a 100% ghost run anyway. Ye who deserve it shall die by my hand. ;)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiphat View Post
    I went straight into Mass Effect 2 and wow the difference. Hardly any RPG, its more like a action shooter with a after thought of an RPG stuck on. Hardly any loot, no real involvment in the level up and interaction with only things that benefit you. Still at least the combat is better. I was hoping to go and play Mass effect 3 after but i'm not sure. I need a little more meat on the bones when I go and play role play.
    Mass Effect The Third does have more RPG meat on the bones, mainly by having a lot more stuff. THere's no "looting", just a whole lot more weapons to find (Every single one of them being rather interesting), extra abilities to unlock and use, and all that stuff.
    There's also multiplayer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiphat View Post
    I feel like the RPG-paperwork aspects of Mass Effect 1 were kind of ... bad. Getting rid of them is hardly a crime against RPGs. Sure you had more choice but let's look at the quality of the choices here; there were many times where putting extra points into a skill had negligible effect or when you would simply be filling in the bubbles on your way to what you really wanted--the next activate/passive ability. Shepard was customizable in a sense, but sometimes the hierarchy of abilities made very little sense. Needing to waste valuable experience on pistols to get to Shotguns or Assualt Rifles to get to Sniper Rifles and so forth. Being unable to use the sniper scope without putting points into it was sort of annoying--why even make it technically usable if it's not practically usable? It just gets in the way while I'm cycling through to get to weapons I can actually hit the broad side of a barn with.

I felt like I had more control and more interesting choices to make with my builds in Mass Effect 2 and 3 than in Mass Effect 1. As a tabletop gamer who plays Pathfinder/D&D, FATE, Edge of Empire, SCION (don't do it, just don't), and a host of lighter indie games from Ghost Echo to Apocalypse World ... I understand where 2 and 3 were coming from with their leveling systems a lot better than where Mass Effect 1 was coming from. It felt like it wanted to toe the line between a simple pick-this-or-that action game leveling system and a more traditional leveling system. That was very, very foolish of it. The result was a leveling system that was not inherently interesting and mechanical effects of said system that were too slow, dispersed and shallow to feel compelling. Leveling up wasn't exciting. Even kludge like Neverwinter Night's straight-up DnD leveling is more compelling because it has such a massive and flexible system that you really feel like you're customizing something and building something.

Looting in Mass Effect 1 was also an abysmal chore though to be fair most RPGs seem to have this problem. I think action-y games like Zelda and Half Life capture the joy of loot far better than most traditional CRPGs--and Mass Effect 1 was sort of dull and annoying compared to most of those. Heck, Kingdoms of Amalur struck a better balance for me in that it was trying to do pretty much exactly the same things Mass Effect 1's loot system was trying to do but made those things more organized, accessible and traditional all at the same time. It had more variety and customization but still had that plug-and-play feel. That all said, thank GOD for the requisitions officer on the ship; made things a lot more user-friendly.

I guess where I'm at is this: there are RPGs I've played that are less user friendly than even Mass Effect 1, but they give me something in exchange for that that Mass Effect 1 does not. Mass Effect 2 and 3 are less user friendly, but they give me something on top of that without losing the core functionality of the systems they simplified from Mass Effect 1. They increased the density of interesting mechanical choices and made more thematic sense and were easier to digest. I really don't see an advantage to Mass Effect 1's superficial added complexity and choice; it's not KOTOR, it's not NWN, it's not Baldur's Gate. Heck, there are systems with far less superficial choice that still provide for more engaging mechanical decision making and tactical flexibility (Link to the Past). Mass Effect was charming. I enjoyed it. I still like playing it. It think the combat is good--not terrible, not even bad like a lot of people say. But not great either. Good.

But the RPG elements in ME1 were throwaway. They added very little to the experience for me and they crippled the action-RPG-ness of the game leaving us in this weirdly slow hinterland that while much more tactical in terms of it's use of map space than the sequels ... squandered that additional tactical sensation by artifically slowing down engagements with the weapons and ability mechanics and by creating one of the slowest and least interesting ability trees I've used outside of an MMO. The result is combat that feels (and has the potential to be) more tactical than combat in the sequels but is really just a less glossy version of exactly the same thing. It's not until Mass Effect 3 multiplayer that we really see the combat in the series unlock it's full potential and it's a damn shame only a tiny handful of singleplayer sequences capture the magic of the multiplayer--most of the difficult fights (and ALL fights at higher difficulty levels) just stack stupidly larger multi-tier health bars on top of everything in a way that is only nuanced and interesting compared to Mass Effect 2's version of the exact same method of making the game harder on higher difficulties. Mass Effect as a series got better at making the same mistakes--making them more visible and (for most players) more tolerable as the series went on. But those problems are there in ME1, too. The same shallowness of leveling up, the same lurching, awkward cover-based tactics, the same scattershot ability design, the repetitive enemy tactics leading to repetitive ability use cycles. The games got better at working within those flaws, fine-tuning the system to make them less jarring and simplifying the system to make it run smoother. But those problems existed (and were healthily criticized) in the first game. The primary difference for me is that the sequels are more fun to fight in; taking away some token paperwork doesn't offend me. The paperwork never lead anywhere worth going to begin with, so why make me work more for the same pleasure?
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Mass Effect The Third does have more RPG meat on the bones, mainly by having a lot more stuff. THere's no "looting", just a whole lot more weapons to find (Every single one of them being rather interesting), extra abilities to unlock and use, and all that stuff.
    There's also multiplayer.
    Weapons in ME3 really blew the first two out of the water. It brought back weapon diversity AND weapon customization but it did it without the pointless clutter of ME1.

Unlike in ME1, different weapons really feel different to use rather than just having different tactical applications, and you don't have to sort through ten billion upgrades and items and trying to sort out whether you had seen this one before and what your reason was for ditching it last time but rather get to spend more time customizing those items and making more interesting comparisons. Unlike in ME2, there are multiple tactical applications for weapons within a given weapon type and you can modify weapons.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 21-07-2014 at 11:17 PM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    eh, xcom classic campaign is doomed.

Long story short: I got a terror mission in which as many cyberdisks were deployed as heavies I'd received in the entire campaign (2), whilst my only living heavy was in the medbay, firing HEAT ammo at the walls. I guess next time I'll just have to l2p and not get randomly assigned 4 snipers in a row. What a scrub move. Sarcasm aside, I have learned a few things, and made a few mistakes of my own which I'll endeavour not to do next time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have a hard time believing anybody really misses Mass Effect 1's weapon system. Each weapon type having a bunch of different makes and mark numbers, and none of them feeling remotely different. You're regularly upgrading, but all you're doing is making some numbers go up a little. Meanwhile your inventory is filling up with junk weapons. The modular upgrades are good, but only make a noticeable difference late in the game. It was a very underbaked system, and Mass Effect 2 was a lot better for removing it.

I've gone back and started playing KotOR again (now that I've finally managed to get it reasonably working on Win7). I never did get very far in it first time round: after Taris and Dantooine, I think I did most of Tatooine, but that was it.

I've also been playing stuff that's been in sales recently: Just Cause 2, Mini Ninjas and Sam & Max.

Given future releases, I'm planning on replaying American McGee's Alice and, of course, Deus Ex, too.

Kind of want L.A. Noire, but I have to spend less time buying games and more time playing them.
    ----------------------------------
    Jorge Berdůn Ramos