Page 1135 of 1190 FirstFirst ... 1356351035108511251133113411351136113711451185 ... LastLast
Results 22,681 to 22,700 of 23792
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Finding myself at odds with gaming again lately. A goodly number of my games - Abyss: Odyssey, Dark Souls 2, Unepic, Wolfenstein, etc - require a goodly amount of finger dexterity. Which I find I increasingly lack. I still enjoy the games, but I play them mostly on the easiest setting possible (which for Souls and Odyssey is the 'cold beer ready in the fridge' setting).

Lately, I find myself wishing for a game that has the trademark Souls (lack of) hand holding, but whose encounters challenge my brain as opposed to my fingers. Progress, loot and a real need for exploration are nice. Also, varied encounters. All things I love about games like Souls and Unepic. Its just...this time, I would like something that is more likely to stimulate a frankly underworked brain than a set or two of overworked fingers.

Meanwhile, its back to Abyss to try and make it beyond the Easy zones this time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    Finding myself at odds with gaming again lately. A goodly number of my games - Abyss: Odyssey, Dark Souls 2, Unepic, Wolfenstein, etc - require a goodly amount of finger dexterity. Which I find I increasingly lack. I still enjoy the games, but I play them mostly on the easiest setting possible (which for Souls and Odyssey is the 'cold beer ready in the fridge' setting).

Lately, I find myself wishing for a game that has the trademark Souls (lack of) hand holding, but whose encounters challenge my brain as opposed to my fingers. Progress, loot and a real need for exploration are nice. Also, varied encounters. All things I love about games like Souls and Unepic. Its just...this time, I would like something that is more likely to stimulate a frankly underworked brain than a set or two of overworked fingers.

Meanwhile, its back to Abyss to try and make it beyond the Easy zones this time.
    Roguelikes? Or things of that sort, something like Don't Starve maybe.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Don't Starve would be good for you. You can tweak the world difficultly to make the game easier/more difficult in many different ways like increasing the amount of food you'll find around the world and reducing the chance of rain (which makes you sad and cold). It's combat is super simple and really the game is a lot more about using your brain instead of your fingers as you're more likely to die to starvation or the cold or going insane, particularly during winter than you are because you couldn't run away from a spider.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Reached the final (?) encounter of The Banner Saga, spoilers, I guess.

Right. That bloody encounter. It wouldn't be so bad if you could somehow save between the two phases. By repeatedly trying and testing different tactics I somehow managed to hit Bellower with the special attack. So far, so good. He then just wreaked me during the second phase and since you have to repeat the whole battle from the start after failing, this has become a lesson in frustration. Right now I've put the game aside since I don't want to get too fed up with it - I really liked it so far, even if I ended up with 0 fighters and 0 yarls due to a lovely chain of defeat -> lack of renown + injuries -> no supplies/no leveling up -> another loss -> repeat step 1 events.

Maybe I'll just record my future attempts at the battle so that I know how to quickly finish the first part and try a different approach for the second one.
    /Spoilers It's just a shame that the game has taken this massive dive in entertainment value.

Edit: Ok, nevermind, beat the encounter after some trying around. What an abrupt ending. Quite disappointing I must say. I feel like I've missed something and the game is supposed to continue for at least 1-2 Chapters...
    Last edited by Squiz; 25-07-2014 at 11:16 AM.

Back into Deus Ex and it's going much better this time around. Blew up the NSF generator and nary a screw up so far. I'm doing two runs side by side one sneaky the other noisy. I'm also playing Human Revolution for the first time as well which is probably a bad idea because I can see that one taking a backseat.

Played a quick round of Neotokyo, it's been a while since the last time.
    Gets issues from a single player that never was, some griefing, medium/heavy classes existence make each other useless at times, recons can be really fun with sudas and pull nice stunts assuming they know the map. Also omniscient tits ftw
    Last edited by Wenz; 25-07-2014 at 11:03 AM.
    post in progress

Lesser Hivemind Node
    From what I've read from Blackcompany in the Dark Souls Threads... no, no. Really, really don't try Roguelikes. Not even Roguelites. Especially not Roguelites as they usually forgo the tactical elements in favor of quick paced twitch action. But I'm serious, don't try Roguelikes. The core principle within them is Adaptation and gaining knowledge through deaths. Deaths you really can't predict at all, unless you know what's coming. Once you know what's coming, you can change and adapt your playstyle, but these are precisely the things Blackcompany doesn't enjoy in a game.

Personally I'd rather recommend going the route of games like Paper Sorcerer or Grimrock. Though the latter felt quite a bit fiddly to me. I'd even go as far as to rather recommend hero drag'em arounds like King's Bounty instead. Lots of exploration, no twitch reflexes needed. Can get challenging but has a few week points here and there.

Gonna throw out a few suggestions here that have an element of tension but are not real time,

Frozen Synapse

Jagged Alliance 2 or any other of the classic squad-based tactical games you might have missed.

Qvadriga - Great game for a beer in one hand and a mouse in the other.

Xenonauts

Tome 4 - This one is a rougelike. Yes, I can sense you shuddering. It's also the only actual rougelike that I've enjoyed since it is quite easy for a newcomer to the genre get into. It has an 'Adventure Mode' which gives the player a reasonable amount of lives and hands out more occasionally for the player to foolishly squander - this is the mode in which I play. For every playthrough that ends in Game Over you generally will have unlocked new class/race options which takes some of the sting out of death. There's many moments such as boss battles that are surprisingly 'edge of your seat' tense and rewarding if you pull through. The more complex classes will certainly exercise your mental faculties which the wide array of risk/reward options they have available. But it is still a rougelike which means permadeath so there will be moments of fist to desk pounding and dumbfounded disbelief at what just occurred - that comes with the territory. It is also free so there's that.

And possibly Legends of Grimrock? I never did get turn-based dungeon crawlers but many here love this game.
    Last edited by crazy horse; 25-07-2014 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy horse View Post
    And possibly Legends of Grimrock? I never did get turn-based dungeon crawlers but many here love this game.
    It's not turn-based at all, and combat is definitely challenging on normal, I've called it a dance more than once.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    It's not turn-based at all, and combat is definitely challenging on normal, I've called it a dance more than once.
    Oh you're right, I assumed it was based on a gameplay video. Well at least it isn't a twitch reflex game and is more tactical from the looks of it.

Big shout to Pro Cycling Manager 13. Managing a cycling team through its schedule is a tactical joy, and has successfully got me into the sport at the same time as educating me about at least some of its intricacies. Well worth it for sports manager types.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Jagged Alliance 2

Flo is already a killing machine capable of clearing a map alone during a day against 10-15 soldiers. And I only captured couple of cities. I think it's time to stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Thanks for the suggestions. Gives me something to think about. Much appreciated.

@theForged: That is a pretty good assessment. I've been trying to curb the frustration with games in general just a bit lately and did pretty well with Dark Souls 2, for the most part. At least until the DLC. Still, I intend to push through it. But yeah...I have to say for the most part, Roguelikes are not for me. There may be some exceptions to that rule, but likely not many.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    World of Tanks. Haven't played for six months or so, so I'm feeling pretty rusty, but I just had a tier 8 game where I did the most damage and got the only kill on my team in my tier 6 T-150, so I guess I'm not the only rusty one (well, and the weekend has started).

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Jagged Alliance 2

Flo is already a killing machine capable of clearing a map alone during a day against 10-15 soldiers. And I only captured couple of cities. I think it's time to stop.
    Playing 1.13?

P.S. Shadow is the correct merc for my solo shenanigans (well, magic works too but i like night ops with shadow).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Considered Divinity: Original Sin? Doesn't hold your hand much, has loot and RPG progression, requires exploration, is fairly (but not extremely) difficult and has turn-based combat that requires tactics and strategy but not manual dexterity. Very different in feel to something like Dark Souls, but worth a look.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emmawatsonus12 View Post
    League of Legends - Flappy bird - 2048
    I've decided that is one game and the year of it's release.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Graerth View Post
    Playing 1.13?

P.S. Shadow is the correct merc for my solo shenanigans (well, magic works too but i like night ops with shadow).
    Yeah, 1.13. I don't like using overpriced AIM mercs. IMPs and MERCs plus locals are usually enough. I only use cheap AIM mercs to guard cities and train militia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Haven't decided if I like Uplink: Hacker Elite, but it sure is intense losing precious seconds continually glancing at those tracking lines gradually making their way towards my physical location while I'm trying to extract files and hide all record of my changes in the logs.

Obscure Node
    I played a bunch of Archeage. I don't recommend it. The 1.2 patch wrecked the economy and made crafting almost impossible, and it turns out that there's really not a whole lot to do unless you like mindless repetition or pvp with neither risk nor reward.