Page 1137 of 1204 FirstFirst ... 1376371037108711271135113611371138113911471187 ... LastLast
Results 22,721 to 22,740 of 24076
    Almost missed this one:

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    Played through the first four Blackwell games over a couple of weeks. Playing them in close succession, it's fascinating to see the evolution from "This is from the folks who made Resonance?" to "This is fantastic" across four chapters, and how it's clearly down to Gilbert growing not just as a game designer, but as a writer.
    Ok I know you wrote "the folks" but let me point out once again that the writer/designer on Resonance is an entirely different person: Blackwell is 100% Dave Gilbert, Resonance is probably 90% Vince XII. The contribution of the Gilberts has mainly to do with cutting down and streamlining or that was the impression I derived from their commentary (Resonance had a much bigger scope and even more ambition, but eventually that was forsaken in favor of finally getting the game out of the door - which I think plays a part in the disappointment some people get from it)

That is fitting, however, as Gilbert has a gift that has been well described by Mr Cobbett: his writing is very economical, minimalist I think he called it.

If you want to see "the guy who made Blackwell" instead check out The Shivah, if you haven't already. It's pretty short - 2 hours maybe? as originally it was made for a monthly compo, but quite enoyable (under some respects I'd like more than the Blackwells), and/or you can read Richard's thoughts about it, those are very interesting too.

Oh and if you haven't played it, my favorite (thought not Richard's) Wadjet branded game for the time being is probably Primordia. It's basically the only game among the ones mentioned here that had an actual writer on it.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Lesser Hivemind Node TheDreamlord's Avatar
    The end of chapter 6 in Battleblock Theater is masochistic. I shudder at the thought of the last chapter.

Activated Node

GoldenEye 007 was an odd game, though impressive for it's time. I like that each mission was somewhat unique. The animation and effects are great, collision detection is absolutely spot-on and the physics are very lifelike compared to the stiff, boxy interactions of other games from that era. But as a whole, the game doesn't feel relevant today, despite having solid gameplay with a bunch of neat subtle/not-so-subtle innovations and having brought FPSs to a much wider audience.

The bad?

Lack of distinct weapon/enemy types. There isn't a (reasonable) reason to use anything other than the pistol or ak because the weapons aren't designed for particular situations and the whole game has you fighting the same (albeit progressively more deadly) enemies anyway, with civilians and sentry guns occasionally thrown in to mix it up a little. The levels are also relatively brief and straightforward compared to what was on the PC. In addition, some aspects of the gameplay feel quirky (e.g. absurdly inaccurate enemies, unwieldy weapons, respawning enemies, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I take it the emulator lacks the file to emulate right? I'll have to backup my N64 cartridges eh?
    Yup.

Last edited by Ravey; 31-07-2014 at 02:11 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamlord View Post
    The end of chapter 6 in Battleblock Theater is masochistic. I shudder at the thought of the last chapter.
    It's brilliant at introducing levels of challenge is BT. Amount of times I've been like WHAT and then an hour later it's nothing at all. Great stuff. It's just an excellent platform game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Beat Spate. I, uh, dear God it hurts to criticise something like this - it's such a naked passion project, such an obvious "I POURED MY HEART AND SOUL INTO THIS GAME LOOKIT, LOOKIT, LOOKIT" - but Christ that was mediocre at best. Bargain-basement 2D platforming with terrible floaty controls, dull, tedious level design, lacklustre minigames. Horrid, uninspired art design which has the dubious honour of being the first game to ever give me motion sickness (the floating smoke layers and the falling cubes towards the end were just awful). Writing that ranges from groaningly bad pastiche ("For me it was love at first sight. For her it was... just sight") to flat-out terrible (all of the unvoiced dialogue is simply dire).

The sound design wasn't bad, I guess. Decent, professional, if unsurprising score. The voice actor plainly deserves much better than this nonsense. A couple of the shaders were pretty good? But yeah, I'm struggling to find anything else decent to say about this one. It's the kind of game that makes me angry when people on videogame sites want to strike the word "pretentious" from the English language: in every way that counts, this. Game. Is. Pretentious. It's shallow, ephemeral waffle. It's certainly got drunken philosophising down pat - the total conviction that what you're talking about is fantastically interesting and an inability to realise that tomorrow, none of it's going to matter a whit. Sorry, developer, and your 747 Kickstarter backers, but yeah, there's nothing here to suggest four years of hard work beyond a sense of desperately hoping things are going to work out. For a game about a drunk, that seems horribly appropriate in all the wrong ways.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Close on paper, but very different feel AFAICT. I've mainly played EV and Elite clones, very little EV (none for practical purposes) and never had any chance to get the Elites back in the day.

Everything is easier and smoother in 2D; Elite-likes felt more sim-like to me, e.g. stuff like docking manually in a 3D space.
    Well, yeah, I... Wait, E:D is 50 now?! Forget this Escape Velocity nonsense, there's downloading to be done!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    @Rooks Yeah, Spate, the absinthe fueled hallucinations noir plarformer with flappy bird bits.

4 years really? Good golly.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    @Rooks Yeah, Spate, the absinthe fueled hallucinations noir plarformer with flappy bird bits.

4 years really? Good golly.
    In the credits he apologises to his wife and family for taking four years over it. Or that was how I read it. I'm guessing that wasn't literally four years of programming, level design etc., etc., but four years was mentioned, so I assume he'd wanted to make the thing for at least that long. Still balls, mind. Even if it's just the writing, if you've taken four years over a single short story and you haven't realised it's not working on multiple, fundamental levels then I really don't know what to tell you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    I started my annual Escape Velocity: Nova playthrough last night at about 1am, after reminiscing about old Mac games of my youth
    Such a great game. I've gone back to it regularly as well. Played the Vell-os, Protos(?) and whatever those Klingon type dudes are called's stories on various occasions. Still want to play the federation or rebel stories and build some massive frigates with a million systems installed and their own fighter bays, multiple missile systems etc.

I browsed through my backlog and realized that I still have The cave installed on my hard drive, but not play. The cave is a game I pre-ordered but after reading the WIT, I was kind of put of it and forgot I even had.
    So, I started playing and even completed it once with three characters (Scientist, hillbilly, twins). I have to say that although I liked the way it looks and the general atmosphere, I think it's one of those games that should have been better then what they ended up to be (classic Double fine?).
    The characters stories are well presented , but not very interesting or original (the achievements also serve as spoilers) and game lacks an overall arch-story to tie everything together or maybe explain more about the cave and the characters motives. The lack of motive makes them all a bunch of unlikable psychopaths and there is no incentive to play the other four characters.
    But the worst offender and the main reason i'm not going to start the game again, is the massive amount of backtracking. So much backtracking it turns the game from a nice puzzle platformer to an utterly exhausting experience. Every level is made from puzzles that will take you to one end to pick an object (you can carry only one) than go to the other side, while jumping and climbing (and falling and climbing again. Sometimes with all three characters) to use it, than run to a different side of the level, pick another object and repeat.... The puzzles are fine by nature, but a chore by design.

And now for something positive: Shadow warrior is the best shooter I played since 1990 something. I even likes the back story.

Activated Node
    Just finished Bioshock Infinite.

I enjoyed it a lot, even getting over (to some extent) the fact that the environment was mostly a theme park. It is, but it's a theme park that is unmatched in a lot of ways. The ending was pretty satisfying for me if I consider it a fantasy story rather than a science fiction one, and so I'm filing it under 'pretty nice fairy tales'. Also, I think coming to it a bit late and after reading a few reviews/the WiT, I was also fine with it not being an '0451' game.

The part of it that did grate, however, was the shooting. It might just be me (I don't play a huge amount of shooters), but a lot of the mechanics seemed slightly out of whack. The final third of the game, guns seemed really underpowered against bullet sponge enemies, and the open areas made it a far more traditional shooter that didn't seem to embrace a lot of the elements I'm more used to, particularly crowd control and cover etc. While this is fine, the power of the guns and the lack of movement speed got quite annoying, particularly against some of the bigger bads who can close the distance remarkably quickly and are largely immune to the vigours. As it was, I was largely reliant on stunlocking enemies using the electricity vigour in order to mow them down so I could move on quickly.

Have the Burial at Sea Pt. 1 DLC, but to be honest I'm probably fine leaving the story there. What are general thoughts? Am I better off playing the first two Bioshocks first, or can I enjoy it for what it is?

In other news, finished the Portal 2 co-op with a friend, and it was great. Far tighter design than the single player, and far better puzzles that relied a lot less on 'spot the puzzle elements in this area that is big because we want to give you a chance to get flung across it as the solution'.

Now for something a bit different, onto a campaign of The Last Federation and a bit of CK2 as a remedy for all the shooty-bang.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by alexjhh View Post

I enjoyed it a lot, even getting over (to some extent) the fact that the environment was mostly a theme park. It is, but it's a theme park that is unmatched in a lot of ways. The ending was pretty satisfying for me if I consider it a fantasy story rather than a science fiction one, and so I'm filing it under 'pretty nice fairy tales'. Also, I think coming to it a bit late and after reading a few reviews/the WiT, I was also fine with it not being an '0451' game.
    Much as I hated Infinite I am honestly curious what you mean by this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=0451

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Ah. I did wonder, but I didn't want to assume.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by alexjhh View Post

The part of it that did grate, however, was the shooting. It might just be me (I don't play a huge amount of shooters), but a lot of the mechanics seemed slightly out of whack. The final third of the game, guns seemed really underpowered against bullet sponge enemies, and the open areas made it a far more traditional shooter that didn't seem to embrace a lot of the elements I'm more used to, particularly crowd control and cover etc. While this is fine, the power of the guns and the lack of movement speed got quite annoying, particularly against some of the bigger bads who can close the distance remarkably quickly and are largely immune to the vigours. As it was, I was largely reliant on stunlocking enemies using the electricity vigour in order to mow them down so I could move on quickly.
    A big turn off with the Bioshock games for me is the combat, its just not right at all and I can't play them because of it. They put in the story and the combat is like some kind of afterthough. You would of thought they it would of improved by number 3 but noooooo. The games would of been better as some sort of adventure game with no shooting.

Any chance you guys know of some patch or package to fix the awfully low-res textures that pop up here and there in Burnout Paradise?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiphat View Post
    The games would of been better as some sort of adventure game with no shooting.
    I don't know if that would make them better but the Bioshocks as first person adventure games is certainly something I'd have a better chance to finish.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiphat View Post
    A big turn off with the Bioshock games for me is the combat, its just not right at all and I can't play them because of it. They put in the story and the combat is like some kind of afterthough. You would of thought they it would of improved by number 3 but noooooo. The games would of been better as some sort of adventure game with no shooting.
    You never played 2 past the first hour did you.

Why do you do that, assume 2 was the same phoned in crop of combat taking a back seat to it's beermat philosophy. Bio2's excellent situational combat was practically the entire game, but they had the nerve to make the narrative PERSONAL. Assuming 2 drowns in the same ill throughout mechanisms the other games do you insult yourself and the folk that raised you.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 30-07-2014 at 11:17 PM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post

I've adopted it since I heard it on Errant Signal, as it seems a useful term rather than another round of conversations while people try to define Deus Ex :)

Network Hub
    Dishonored is keeping me hooked. It's actually fun to play, if a little too tense at times, causing me to make mistakes and scum-load myself out of it. Every action just feels good, making it more enjoyable than I expected. Now I regret a bit that I didn't buy the GOTY version.

I'm probably half way through after ... the celebration when you think you're done and then you.pass out.. I was going for stealth until that point, but the gloves are so off right now, I'm probably just going to slaughter every non-civilian from now on. And don't dare touching Emily you filthy rats!
    Last edited by DanMan; 30-07-2014 at 11:29 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    You never played 2 past the first hour did you.
    The first hour really does feel exactly like Bioshock the first, which is a big part of the reason I've never made it any further into the game despite multiple attempts. Mind you I enjoyed Bio 1, but I've no desire to replay it.
    Last edited by vinraith; 31-07-2014 at 02:03 AM.