Page 1139 of 1205 FirstFirst ... 1396391039108911291137113811391140114111491189 ... LastLast
Results 22,761 to 22,780 of 24086
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    I just thought of one thing: you haven't encountered the diamond elementals yet, have you? Those were the first units that really gave me a whopping (didn't find the dremer world in my first game). My poor heroes...
    You know how I said we could now get past the dremer world? The next world in was an elemental shard chock full of those things.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Playing STALKER all day while listening to a Roadside Picnic audio book and gorging myself on triple-servings of strawberries and ice cream. Sometimes being a grown-up is awesome.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Path of Exile addendum: Christ, I know Brutus is hardly that tough anyway, but even on Merciless he still went down in oh, less than five seconds, I think. Currently at 7 zombies + 10 skeletons + 2 spectres + around 5 raging spirit projectiles, and I dropped around twenty Vaal skeletons on him as well for good measure. Minions all have assorted speed, damage and health buffs and I've got a unique shield that gives them regenerating health and life leech, plus I can give them all an energy shield, too. I almost felt guilty. Almost.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Path of Exile addendum: Christ, I know Brutus is hardly that tough anyway, but even on Merciless he still went down in oh, less than five seconds, I think. Currently at 7 zombies + 10 skeletons + 2 spectres + around 5 raging spirit projectiles, and I dropped around twenty Vaal skeletons on him as well for good measure. Minions all have assorted speed, damage and health buffs and I've got a unique shield that gives them regenerating health and life leech, plus I can give them all an energy shield, too. I almost felt guilty. Almost.
    Well, you'll be happy to know they're buffing most boss fights (including Brutus) for the new expansion! That's why I'm holding off going back to PoE until then, really. There'll be so many changes it'll be almost like starting fresh.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    Well, you'll be happy to know they're buffing most boss fights (including Brutus) for the new expansion! That's why I'm holding off going back to PoE until then, really. There'll be so many changes it'll be almost like starting fresh.
    Eh, I thought of waiting, but I haven't beaten Merciless with anyone yet, and as I said, even if a minion-centric Witch is cheese, she's still a lot of fun to play. (Plus still my favourite of the exiles so far; best writing and voice acting by a long shot.)

(Plus I was in hospital today for a minor op., and with a hole in my back it's easier to play a game which doesn't really require you to move your arms too far - not that games do, generally, but it just struck me how with these ARPGs it's pretty easy to sit dead still in one position, twitch your mouse hand a little and keep your fingers on the hotkeys.)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    All turn based games are good for injured parties, I recommend you finally go play xcom (hyphenated or not, your preference) or maybe some Toki Tori if your brain is up to it.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Tried Path of Exile. Don't know why. I think I mistook it for another game. I didn't know it was an MMO. Uninstalled already.

XCOM EW Long War

I think I know now why it's called Long War. Enemy turn now is twice as long as in base game. Some changes are good, some are questionable. Rookies are not useless - good. Expansion of class abilities is good. Weapon changges however are complete bull. Heavy rifle is less accurate? Well sure it is because someone stuck all fire selectors on full auto. Elite force, my ass. Six people from the start? Well not bad but not good either. Five would be a better choice IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Tried Path of Exile. Don't know why. I think I mistook it for another game. I didn't know it was an MMO. Uninstalled already.
    Uh, it's not an MMO. Feel free to dismiss it, obviously; it's a hardcore example of its genre. Click on all the things! Pick up loot! Click on more things! Pick up shinier loot! If you don't like that you won't like PoE. But there's nothing massively multiplayer about it. I've put in 90 hours and haven't played with other human beings once, nor felt the need to (at least, once I'd accepted the final boss is basically SNK-overpowered if you're soloing him).

That awkward period between games. I can only play through Dark Souls 2 so many times. So instead I decided to play something completely different: Sniper Elite 2. I have played the original game not too long ago so I can safely say this game is not very good. The first Sniper Elite had a very old school feel to it and reminded me quite a bit of Hidden & Dangerous, where planning and stealth were just as important as the execution but apparently Rebellion thought that didn't sell well enough and gave it the consolization treatment. It's now a poor cover shooter in which all your weapons suck and the cover system has got to be the worst I have ever seen. Not only is our hero extremely picky as to what qualifies as cover he also doesn't feel like shooting out of cover way too often.

Exhibit A:

We're in cover. So far so good but if we try to emerge...

Exhibit B:

How does that even work?

Additionally enemies love to shoot through cover and even solid concrete walls. There seems to be very little consistency as to how viable cover is and how well it will protect you. Additionally enemies love to charge your position and while that would be insanely suicidal in any sort of realistic scenario it works in Sniper Elite 2 because anything that isn't a sniper rifle doesn't even make the Nazis flinch and your SMG has an incredible low ammo capacity as well as a spray pattern comparable to a minigun in other games. This is of course not a problem they have. The Nazis will always hit you. No matter how far away they are, their SMGs have pinpoint accuracy. Enemy snipers are even worse. If they see you and they can physically hit you they will hit you. If you don't get the drop on them it's impossible to even shoot at them without getting shot once first. You're not the Sniper Elite - they are. You're just some guy who can take a ton of bullets to the face.
    Last edited by Anthile; 02-08-2014 at 02:48 PM.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    I decided to play something completely different: Sniper Elite 2.
    At least it was free... You did get it free? Right? I've not played it yet, so I should withhold judgement.
    The Screenshot thread reminded me about Bioshock 2 and I realised I never actually finished the Protector Trials. Essentially horde mode defence missions with preset equipment configurations, think you can do it with just a drill and a decoy, how about nothing but traps and melee. It's nice to turn the music off and enjoy all the weird ambient dialogue. "No squeezes for spooky daddy!".
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 02-08-2014 at 03:11 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    It's now a poor cover shooter in which all your weapons suck and the cover system has got to be the worst I have ever seen. Not only is our hero extremely picky as to what qualifies as cover he also doesn't feel like shooting out of cover way too often.
    Opinions and experience vary, of course, but this statement is so alien to my experience with the game I seriously wonder if something wasn't wrong. I had no problem at all with the weapons (even the pistol is a one-shot kill if you hit them in the head), could get into cover behind 95% of things I tried (not 100%, I'll grant, but this was an extremely infrequent issue) and never saw a blocked scope like what you have screenshotted above. It's a shame you had such a negative experience with the game, I adored it. It's one of the few things that even exists these days that scratches a bit of the old Rainbow Six itch for me.
    Last edited by vinraith; 02-08-2014 at 06:36 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Uh, it's not an MMO. Feel free to dismiss it, obviously; it's a hardcore example of its genre. Click on all the things! Pick up loot! Click on more things! Pick up shinier loot! If you don't like that you won't like PoE. But there's nothing massively multiplayer about it.
    About MMO... I saw player characters standing in one place or running in cirlcles, giant chat full of "I'm buyiung Orb of xxxyyyzzz" and alt-f4'd. Sure it may not be an MMO. I didn't like the combat anyway. And yes I'm not a fan of the genre so probably just wasted some time.

E.Y.E

Should have been called W.U.T. or something. Interesting mish-mash of ideas but mechanically clunky. And butt-ugly. I mean it looks like a high-def reskin of an UT99 engine game. I'll stick with it because I think some people were praising it for good story. But so far I'm not even sure what to think of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The MMO question is complex - if Guild Wars is one, then Diablo and PoE are one tho.

PoE really does play like a single player (or co-op) game with dickheads limited to hub areas tho - it's not a bad example of old-school ARPG really.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Opinions and experience vary, of course, but this statement is so alien to my experience with the game I seriously wonder if something wasn't wrong. I had no problem at all with the weapons (even the pistol is a one-shot kill if you hit them in the head), could get into cover behind 95% of things I tried (not 100%, I'll grant, but this was an extremely infrequent issue) and never saw a blocked scope like what you have screenshotted above. It's a shame you had such a negative experience with the game, I adored it. It's one of the few things that even exists these days that scratches a bit of the old Rainbow Six itch for me.
    Yeah, that description seemed alien to me as well. Regarding cover in the game: I never used it, so someone calling it a cover shooter seems really bizarre.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Well I used cover in Sniper Elite 2 but never the actual press button to sticky walls coversystem. I just manually ducked behind what seemed like good cover at the time and never had problems with it or the camera weirding out on the scope. Maybe the actual coversystem is a bit buggy?
    Also about the accuracy, I actually prefer it that way.

Few things annoy me more in games than goons that can't hit a non moving target. The way they've set it up is that they miss most of the time, but actually point in your direction and let amount of bullets do the rest. About enemy snipers, I didn't have an issue with those either. There were always a few tells that gave away you were being in the scope of a sniper.

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    E.Y.E

Should have been called W.U.T. or something. Interesting mish-mash of ideas but mechanically clunky. And butt-ugly. I mean it looks like a high-def reskin of an UT99 engine game. I'll stick with it because I think some people were praising it for good story. But so far I'm not even sure what to think of it.
    Whoever told you the story is good was trolling you, quite hard. The story is okay'ish if you can deal with weird paralell storytelling and just general what the hell moments. But to play E.Y.E for the Story is like playing Dynasty Warriors for Historical Accuracy. If the shooting isn't fun to you, save yourself the time. And it's not ugly :(
    Last edited by theForged; 02-08-2014 at 10:22 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theForged View Post
    Whoever told you the story is good was trolling you, quite hard. The story is okay'ish if you can deal with weird paralell storytelling and just general what the hell moments. But to play E.Y.E for the Story is like playing Dynasty Warriors for Historical Accuracy. If the shooting isn't fun to you, save yourself the time. And it's not ugly :(
    The co-op is infinitely more fun (and broken) than the single-player. Whoever designed the hacking minigame needs to be immured.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Phantoms killed by guys with guns I cant have, trapped in a narrow corridor walking through one camped door, slowly, and if I want to shoot over the chest high cover I need to stand up. R6 Vegas did this better.

Uninstalled!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Playing Divinity: Original Sin. I like the effect, but DAMN this game can be difficult. The action economy makes it very difficult to fight with enemies against whom you are equal or underpowered unless you have companions. This makes combat very realistic in a really interesting way! I find it much easier to size up whether I'll win a fight than in many other games because facing multiple weaker opponents carries a proper amount of foreboding.

@##% Zombies, though.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Also enemy archers having specialty arrows is really, really, really annoying. Not becasue I don't like how powerful it makes them. But because it means I have absolutely no idea how to approach any given archer. Will they set me on fire next to the barrel? Freeze me next round? Who knows! This is more realistic in a very uninteresting way.

In a similar vein, it's nice that the game has difficulty to offer, but it's mildly frustrating that despite letting you go anywhere, the game is quite s brutal in some of the obvious directions you might want to go right from the off. The things that seemed most obviously important right away? Dealing with the undead and checking out what the orcs were up to. Are they within a low-level character's potential? Not so much. :\ It's not annoying because it's poor design or anything. It's just ... I feel that having the two most interesting options practically null and void at the beginning disheartening in a game championed as flexible and open in a way most games are not. I'm sure things will get better and I definitely don't want the game to be easy. It's just not a matter of difficulty but a clear encounter design choice to make certain things substantially above the player at the start and while I think having something that's way over your head near the start and accessible is nice and sends the right message about how the game works, I just wish I could take one of those obvious, interesting narrative set-pieces for a ride without waiting a few levels first. The counselor's murder really doesn't seem very interesting or pressing (yet).
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    In a similar vein, it's nice that (Original Sin) has difficulty to offer, but it's mildly frustrating that despite letting you go anywhere, the game is quite s brutal in some of the obvious directions you might want to go right from the off. [...] It's not annoying because it's poor design or anything. It's just ... I feel that having the two most interesting options practically null and void at the beginning disheartening in a game championed as flexible and open in a way most games are not. I'm sure things will get better and I definitely don't want the game to be easy. It's just not a matter of difficulty but a clear encounter design choice to make certain things substantially above the player at the start and while I think having something that's way over your head near the start and accessible is nice and sends the right message about how the game works, I just wish I could take one of those obvious, interesting narrative set-pieces for a ride without waiting a few levels first.
    If it's part of what made Baldur's Gate 2 an unimpeachable classic beloved by all true members of the PC Master Race, then clearly the problem lies with you. /s

(It's one reason I haven't got round to actually playing the damn game - beyond being dragged through a little of the prologue in co-op - because yeah, turning down the hand-holding is great, in theory. It is not without its downsides, despite what some people seem to think. It might not be poor design per se, but it's not automatically great design either.)
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 03-08-2014 at 09:50 AM.