Page 1141 of 1205 FirstFirst ... 1416411041109111311139114011411142114311511191 ... LastLast
Results 22,801 to 22,820 of 24094
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    A small tip: Enemy archers will only have a few special arrows and almost always use them within the first few rounds (similar holds true for all skills, but they will of course come off cooldown eventually). If you can survive the initial barrages their threat lessens and if you have any summons to call upon they're great for soaking up damage at the start of a fight.

The game gets easier and you get more freedom of where you go later on, at least if you do most of the side quests. I'm playing through a second time on hard and I'm getting close to the end; all my characters are almost completely impervious to magic and the star of the show is my 2-handed-axe-wielding warrior lady who charges into groups of enemies, intentionally sets herself on fire, explodes, then calls down meteor showers on everything still standing. It's glorious, but the game gets pretty easy simply due to all the immunities and the sheer amount of damage I can dish out in just a turn or two.
    That's great, but right now I'm just starting out, my characters are Marksman and Man-at-Arms, and if one of them gets hit with the wrong specialty arrow at the wrong time I'm just auto-dead tactics be damned.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    No companions? You can have a party of 4 before leaving Cyseal city. Thoroughly exploring the town also lets you gain a level or two and there's lots of equipment to be found. The game is open in the sense that you can go pretty much anywhere at any time and most quests can be solved in several different ways, but level differences are *very* harsh, especially early on, so combat acts as gating of sorts. You could stealth and teleport your way to the last big map at level one though, if you really wanted.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I binged on Freedom Fall last night. It's a puzzle platformer which narratively owes a lot to portal. The mute protagonist and the literally a mute antagonist all the narrative is written on walls by the antagonist, idle conversation or tutorial merged with insults and criticism. The extra ending level (tucked away in level select after the credits) and the game at large showed no sign of running out of ideas or stretching content out.

But I'll certainly keep an eye open for a sequel.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Completed Battleblock Theatre last night. The last level had me swearing pretty violently for about 20 minutes but like all well designed platform/puzzle games the solution was always apparent with a little thought, just required better execution on my part.

It’s a brilliant platformer. I don’t know what else to say. Feels like the semantics and vocabulary to discuss this sort of game haven’t really progressed in twenty years, but I can’t recall another platform game I’ve played for twenty odd hours and enjoyed so much. I’ve nearly always enjoyed myself doing so. I’ve played it for hours, I’ve played it for twenty minutes, each session was a success. Every level was different, while cleverly and sensibly building upon techniques, themes and challenges at a rapid but achievable pace. There’s a sort of magic inherent in games like this and Dark Souls whereby it can train you to do things effortlessly where you once at pains to understand how you could ever do it once, in an incredibly short space of time, within the same level even. The narration and animation was great fun, as per Castle Crashers, and while a bit too scatological for my liking at points it kept things engaging and agreeably silly, and I gave a good chuckle relatively frequently. Not played it co-op or multiplayer but no doubt it’d be a hoot.

It reminds me a lot of Costume Quest in the sense that it’s gorgeous, absolutely spot on with it’s tone and mechanics, and just does everything you would want of it. Had it been released thrity years ago Mario and Sonic wouldn’t have got a look int. It’s limited in a sense, in that it doesn’t offer the sort of sweeping, life changing experience that people seem to want of games now, and on the other hand it isn’t raw and retro enough to gain that particular sort of cred either, but the question in both those instances is why would you want anything more from it anyway? It’s Just concentrated old time game goodness, basically perfected. If you perform skills correctly you’ll always progress, and if you don’t you’ll probably die, but checkpoints and level design is such that there’s always something tangible to keeping you pushing forward.

There’s a technical element to it, a required expertise that is lacking in many games now that don’t explicitly market themselves as rogue likes or HARDCORE, so that it can be both recreational and still demanding in it’s own way. It’s the sweet spot between the kinetic pleasantness of a Sonic game with the sadism and challenge of something like Super Meat Boy at it’s intermediate levels, with a bit of Portal thrown in. A really good time.

Obscure Node
    Just finished Gods will be Watching and I liked it a lot. Though RPS review points various problems of a game accurately, I found a lot of joy in game, which review fail to mention.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I binged on Freedom Fall last night. It's a puzzle platformer which narratively owes a lot to portal. The mute protagonist and the literally a mute antagonist all the narrative is written on walls by the antagonist, idle conversation or tutorial merged with insults and criticism. The extra ending level (tucked away in level select after the credits) and the game at large showed no sign of running out of ideas or stretching content out.

But I'll certainly keep an eye open for a sequel.
    Glad it's not just me. It's really conventional and relatively predictable but I still thought it had absolutely terrific writing, some of the best I've ever seen in a videogame. Really not meant to be hyperbole - it had me alternately laughing out loud and smiling with pleasure at its turns of phrase like very, very few other games have ever done. She was a pretty good sympathetic antagonist, too, which is something very few writers can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    What can I say? I found the 'you must have terrible taste...' line somewhat irksome and rather unnecessary. Still Eight Rooks, hardly a poster of note, so whatever.
    Oh, you. ;)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I lost my first Xenonauts campaign. On normal. It turns out I am an abysmal budgeter, and a paragon of inefficiency.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamlord View Post
    How the holy cow am I supposed to go through a dozen fights with only the few med kits I have in my inventory, since there is no "rest" mechanic? I really don't get it. It's pissing me off so much that I am tempted to simply not finish it, and I am very near the end.
    Healing spells are perhaps the most important spells in the game. I usually have two characters that can cast them, meaning when I played I was able to reverse almost all damage immediately after taking it. The few exceptions were when I was hit multiple times in a turn (the healing spells only reverse the most recent damage).
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    I lost my first Xenonauts campaign. On normal. It turns out I am an abysmal budgeter, and a paragon of inefficiency.
    And in the game.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Lesser Hivemind Node TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Healing spells are perhaps the most important spells in the game. I usually have two characters that can cast them, meaning when I played I was able to reverse almost all damage immediately after taking it. The few exceptions were when I was hit multiple times in a turn (the healing spells only reverse the most recent damage).
    Granted. However, I do not have a healer in my party, so I am sort of stuffed.

On a separate note, I tried Castle Crashers today for half an hour and it's ok, if a bit disconnected in the way the controls feel (Battleblock Theater is leaps and bounds better as a game as well as how it feels - I need to wrap up its last act come to speak). And in my beat-em-up evening, I also fired up Foul Play for the first time and what a charming little game it is! The presentation is rather unique in its "this is a play in a theater with constant prop changes" sort of way and the fighting ain't half bad. I think I'll finish this one.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Gave up on Wofenstein (writing it off as a lesson in why I should never buy another corridor shooter, ever).

Moved on to Starpoint Gemini 2. Its Early Access - I am notoriously bad at sticking to that 'No Early Access' thing of late - but the entirety of the Sandbox mode is present and really, that's all this game needs. Gemini 2 allows for manual steering of ships (including cursor steering if you desire) but also allows turrets to auto fire on nearby enemies. EVE Style.

Of course, rotating, auto firing turrets means shields and hull matter far more than they might in a game focused strictly on dog fighting. For those looking for the slower pace of an EVE-alike (I think that's going to be a thing soon) without the sub fee or other players I recommend taking a look at Starpoint Gemini 2. Its not perfect but its quite the fun explore em up in space.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    No companions? You can have a party of 4 before leaving Cyseal city. Thoroughly exploring the town also lets you gain a level or two and there's lots of equipment to be found. The game is open in the sense that you can go pretty much anywhere at any time and most quests can be solved in several different ways, but level differences are *very* harsh, especially early on, so combat acts as gating of sorts. You could stealth and teleport your way to the last big map at level one though, if you really wanted.
    I can't get the companions if my characters disagree about having them on board; there was no Rock Paper Scissors thing. They have to both agree but that would be out of character for them given the specific contexts in which the two companions offer to join.

Besides, if companions are central to the game's mechanical conceits, that isn't reflected in the fiction which is a bit of a problem. The game didn't very well try and make them seem like anything but highly optional extras.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    I can't get the companions if my characters disagree about having them on board; there was no Rock Paper Scissors thing. They have to both agree but that would be out of character for them given the specific contexts in which the two companions offer to join.

Besides, if companions are central to the game's mechanical conceits, that isn't reflected in the fiction which is a bit of a problem. The game didn't very well try and make them seem like anything but highly optional extras.
    You can separate your characters before hiring and send one outside and they can't bitch about it. There is also another way to get companions that aren't the two you find in town and that's also possible to do before leaving. If you want to only have a 2-man party there are talents for that (Lone Wolf, which many combine with Glass Cannon).
    Last edited by Skalpadda; 05-08-2014 at 11:45 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    As mentioned earlier, I started watching Mechwarrior Online streams and videos, downloaded and installed the client, defragmented, watched more streams and then ... I played Minecraft...
    My head is behaving rather oddly lately.

But at least I've been doing something meaningful in Minecraft. I had made a bunch of nicely constructed X-mines below my base, and I spent some weeks filling them up with smooth stone because ... it just felt better that way. Then a friend decided to mine the area all out again, very extensively, despite me telling her that I had already mined there. So now I've been spending the past couple of days filling her mines up with smooth stone and it'll probably only take a week or two to finish doing that. And then I can wait for her to start mining it out again.
    Danger, excitement and really wild things.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    I decided to combat most glaring shortcomings of DayZ( which is for me a downward spiral into "shoot everyone" as soon as I hoard enough ammo and food) with self-imposed limitations and occasional role-playing. No backpack, no vest, no camouflage, no SKS, no hoarding of food and ammo. My new character is a fine gentleman dressed in black trousers, a super-stylish white'n'black chekered jacket, a flat cap of same pattern and strict black shoes. He carries a sniper rifle and a fistful of bullets, also a hatchet but I plan to get rid of it - too crude. I have a pistol but no ammo yet.
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    As mentioned earlier, I started watching Mechwarrior Online streams and videos, downloaded and installed the client, defragmented, watched more streams and then ... I played Minecraft...
    My head is behaving rather oddly lately.

But at least I've been doing something meaningful in Minecraft. I had made a bunch of nicely constructed X-mines below my base, and I spent some weeks filling them up with smooth stone because ... it just felt better that way. Then a friend decided to mine the area all out again, very extensively, despite me telling her that I had already mined there. So now I've been spending the past couple of days filling her mines up with smooth stone and it'll probably only take a week or two to finish doing that. And then I can wait for her to start mining it out again.
    Danger, excitement and really wild things.
    Why would you fill up your mines, instead of just sealing them off? There's no danger in enemies spawning below a properly constructed seal, I'd reckon.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    As mentioned earlier, I started watching Mechwarrior Online streams and videos, downloaded and installed the client, defragmented, watched more streams and then ...
    If you ever get around playing MWO I suggest you to take a light mech and circle strafe everyone to death.
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    Why would you fill up your mines, instead of just sealing them off? There's no danger in enemies spawning below a properly constructed seal, I'd reckon.
    um, it just feels better, I think. Looks nicer on the map or something. I'm probably deluding myself by thinking that removing all those torches (18 stacks in two days) will make the server use slightly less memory, but that's sort of a secondary excuse anyway.

Mostly it's likely just a kind of meditative state I get into while I work out what to build and such.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the other times I've done it have mainly been because I had a grinder on the surface or underground and I wanted to limit the places the mobs could spawn as much as possible.
    That's not the case now, though (made a high altitude grinder a while ago which is more than efficient enough for my needs).
    Last edited by Similar; 05-08-2014 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    If you ever get around playing MWO I suggest taking the light mech and circle strafe everyone to death.
    yeah, I've seen people do that. It looks effective, but I'm not sure I have the reflexes for it.

I saw your name in a SideStrafe video, btw. You two were in the same lance in one game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamlord View Post
    Granted. However, I do not have a healer in my party, so I am sort of stuffed.
    An incredibly important thing that they do not tell you in Dragonfall is that all the NPC medkits are replenished every mission. Glory plays the role of the team's healer, because she takes 4 or 5 medkits every mission.