Page 1143 of 1190 FirstFirst ... 143643104310931133114111421143114411451153 ... LastLast
Results 22,841 to 22,860 of 23786
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by theForged View Post
    And I'm not really far into the game yet. Maybe 3 or 4 hours into Trails in the Sky? So far I don't think it's incredibly tough and Trails does a few things different from your usual JRPGs that might make it easier for people new to genre. Like being able to save everywhere at any time. Or being able to dodge most enemies on the map so you can gauge just how many encounters you're willing to fight. I also like that the experience falls off at one point, so you definitely know when you start to outlevel the area you're in. On the flipside, I never had to grind either, just playing normally made me reach that point.
    To be fair to JRPGs, some of them have been doing these things for ages. But yeah, Falcom games are not particularly intimidating, though they do use a fair amount of kawaiiiiiiiii uguu~face-pulling and all the rest of it (Zwei!! is lovely, but it's still pretty saccharine).
    I post photos here. I write stories here. I'm on Twitter here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I'm betting you won't even have to wait long.
    RU keys for Sacred 3 are already <$20 - ROW keys are £10-off in a few places too but £39.99 will take some whittling-away and nothing will turn-around the wall of hate now, will it?

It's ironic - it they'd called it Sacred [tiny font]Citadel [big font]3[tiny font]D it would have been fine (tho not £39.99 fine perhaps) - much as "Colin McRae Remix" would have saved that game from being nerded-to-death too I imagine...

You have to wonder what went on with Sacred 3 tho - I mean it's like Marvel making a Star Wars film which is a bromance or Bollywood film - in Korean AND Esperanto...

Minecraft snapshot :)

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    You have to wonder what went on with Sacred 3 tho - I mean it's like Marvel making a Star Wars film which is a bromance or Bollywood film - in Korean AND Esperanto...
    That's not too difficult to figure out. The two previous Sacred games had notoriously difficult development histories so Deep Silver tried to play it safe and involved absolutely no one who had ever worked on a Sacred game before. I guess they also demanded it to play nothing like a Sacred game.
    New! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Not exactly new! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Kind of old! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Perhaps the biggest detractor is what I'd call Anime Bullshit. The occurance of certain standard Anime Tropes that are a bit difficult to look past if you're not used to either JRPG or Anime.
    Anime Bullshit is indeed a problem. Sometimes I wonder how grown men manage to watch 'mainstream' (i.e. bullshit as opposed to reduced-bullshit-content and absolutely-no-bullshit) shows without getting bulging eyes from all the eye rolling.

Being used to Anime Bullshit is a state every sane person should avoid, or that is the take away message I get from all the anime shows depicting unhappy Anime Bullshit Junkies whose main story revolves around some ABJ acquiring some sort of super power just to make friends.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Network Hub
    I just finished Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, which I had a pretty great time with in spite of the terrible end-game. The combat was a bit clunky, to be sure, but overall I think it holds up quite well, and the story in particular does some really interesting and unexpected things (especially with the midway twist).

Since I'm getting a new PC at...some point within the next few months, I think this is the last long-ish title that I'll be playing for a bit (I don't want to start an in-depth RPG or something and then have my saves disappear in the transition to a new machine). I'll probably delve back into Civilization V.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Mr Bree+, overall I found it to be a mediocre platformer with two incredibly buggy bossfights. It was fun enough to beat the super secret extra levels, but I'm never going back to it like VVVVV, Give Up Robot, or even Electronic Super Joy.

Also cookie clicker. I don't know why I can't escape. Click. Click. Clickty-Clickity-Click.

THE LONG DARK (Hardcore Survival)

It's what I've been playing and Let's Playing the last two weeks. Great game! Even better development studio - Hinterland Studios. Keep your eyes open for it on Steam Early Access this September. It's going to the top of the Best Sellers guaranteed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Anime Bullshit is indeed a problem. Sometimes I wonder how grown men manage to watch 'mainstream' (i.e. bullshit as opposed to reduced-bullshit-content and absolutely-no-bullshit) shows without getting bulging eyes from all the eye rolling.
    See also: superhero bullshit. As someone who is really into comics but not superhero guff, it is particularly annoying to not only be confronted with that bs whenever a recommended read turns out to be superheroic, but to be constantly associated with that bs myself! I have literally had someone say to me: 'oh, you like comics, you must be into all those massive boobs and stuff'.

Thanks Stan Lee, you arsehole.

Anyhoo, been continuing Divinity: Original Sin. It's still great, but I have got to the third big area and am starting to feel the power creep people were talking about kicking in. Fought some enemies two levels higher than my characters and didn't feel like I was in any real danger of dying.

Also playing a bit of Dawn of War +expansions, since it was cheap on steam the other day and I remember really enjoying Winter Assault. It's funny, I'm not into rush-style RTS games or lots of micro, but Dawn of War kind of forces you into playing like that and it is actually a lot of fun, more so than DoW2, which I remember going even more heavily toward micro play. Basically it's just fun to see hundreds of infantry and tanks rolling around, boltguns blazing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    On the one hand, I "fixed" my ranger in Path of Exile - re-organised my gems, ground levels enough she could use a pretty good unique I found with another character - and now she's actually kicking ass in Cruel! Yay! (Witch is coping fine on Merciless, ranger's coping fine on Cruel, scion and templar are struggling somewhat on normal.)

On the other hand I'm now attacking so fast I'm having serious trouble with lag/desyncs. -_-; I know, I know, it happens, and I've hardly turned into The Flash or anything, but seriously, I can fire off Rain of Arrows about as fast as I can press the key, killing stuff powers me up even further... and then the monsters all hiccup, they're actually all around me whaling on me, I'm down to half health and I have to run away. Wasn't having this problem before I reorganised her kit, s'all. Oh well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    So from a mechanical point of view, it's probably a good JRPG to get into. It has got some technical flaws like videos being messed up in fullscreen mode for some people (windowed fixed it for me). Perhaps the biggest detractor is what I'd call Anime Bullshit. The occurance of certain standard Anime Tropes that are a bit difficult to look past if you're not used to either JRPG or Anime.
    Thanks! I'm going to wishlist it and wait for a sale, then.

Activated Node
    My chapter-deadline-stress-beating game has been State of Decay for the last few days. Janky, probably a bit too easy, but really quite brilliant at some odd points. My favourite 'little thing' that caught me this evening is an aspect of how the dialogue system works. While it's nothing special as a whole, when NPCs are talking as you walk along and are interrupted by a zombie attack or whatever, the character you say will often say 'that'll have to wait', followed by 'sorry about that, you were saying?' and things along those lines. It makes the whole dialogue feel far more natural (although possibly better for it in a 'story' sense) script. I found myself reading the WiT this morning and agreeing with other articles around the web that emphasised its appeal as a game over a sim, but for all that it's that little thing that really pulled me in.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alexjhh View Post
    Janky, probably a bit too easy, but really quite brilliant at some odd points.
    It is easy in vanilla mode. Have you played the DLC? They're quite a bit harder, especially late game. Breakdown in particular gets quite hard starting at about level four (five is when I first suffered a death in the game). I just reached six last night and am almost dreading having to start all over. But hey, the apocalypse shouldn't be a cakewalk, right?
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Borderlands 2 multiplayer. Really enjoying it. Thereís obviously a cynical, sugary quality to it but itís so well balanced in terms of level progression, challenge, and feedback that itís hard to care. Looks lovely too and once again makes me wonder why the majority of designers feel the need to opt for High Fidelity Photorealism when designing a game that it isnít an Indie product or a game with retro feels.

I played the Sniper guy in BL1 so Iíve gone for an assault specced Siren this time round and am enjoying running into bases and throwing people around before shotgunning them in the face. I was expecting to be a bit more involved in the plot this time round but it feels as entirely inconsequential as the last one. Itís still way above most ARPGís NPC interactions having said that. I like the fact that itís a game which takes ages to complete yet is as well suited to half an hourís play as a full evening session.

In my game of Civilization V, I was a couple of turns away from both a cultural and diplomatic victory, only to have Dzjengis Khan win a time victory just before I could win. The bastard, I've been bothered by him for over 300 turns, and he still gets the last laugh. After finishing a game of Civ V, I'm always a bit done with Civ, so I'll be moving on to WH40K: Space Marine.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    Borderlands 2 multiplayer. *snip* I was expecting to be a bit more involved in the plot this time round but it feels as entirely inconsequential as the last one. It’s still way above most ARPG’s NPC interactions having said that.
    That's really not saying much.

Borderlands 2 is my go-to example for pointing out how all the good will in the world on the part of a team of writers doesn't automatically make their work any more interesting. Ditto any amount of effort, apparently. So endlessly zany! So earnestly inclusive and welcoming! So painfully unfunny! So deathly, cripplingly dull! Sigh. It's wonderful that they tried - straight characters, gay characters, able-bodied, disabled, fat, thin, all treated resolutely equal - but as far as getting me to care about any of it the whole thing was a resounding failure.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    In my game of Civilization V, I was a couple of turns away from both a cultural and diplomatic victory, only to have Dzjengis Khan win a time victory just before I could win. The bastard, I've been bothered by him for over 300 turns, and he still gets the last laugh. After finishing a game of Civ V, I'm always a bit done with Civ, so I'll be moving on to WH40K: Space Marine.
    I was once about to win the game under the "one city" only rule using culture. Then Hiawatha rolled jeeps and tanks over me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    That's really not saying much.

Borderlands 2 is my go-to example for pointing out how all the good will in the world on the part of a team of writers doesn't automatically make their work any more interesting. Ditto any amount of effort, apparently. So endlessly zany! So earnestly inclusive and welcoming! So painfully unfunny! So deathly, cripplingly dull! Sigh. It's wonderful that they tried - straight characters, gay characters, able-bodied, disabled, fat, thin, all treated resolutely equal - but as far as getting me to care about any of it the whole thing was a resounding failure.
    Most ARPG NPCs don't do much more than give you a quest and leave it at that. Apart from Deckard Cain in Diablo, almost nobody in those games follows you or matters act to act and he's pretty much the only example I can think of. Borderlands uses it's NPCs in stories a hell of a lot better. The stories aren't great, but at least they make some attempt at building up the characters and having them be part of the tale, other than "Hey, I'm NPC, go get my magic hammer back please then never speak to me again".

Also I'm not sure what point you're making about their inclusivity with different character types, because they never used that as a selling point to their story, game or characters.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Most ARPG NPCs don't do much more than give you a quest and leave it at that. Apart from Deckard Cain in Diablo, almost nobody in those games follows you or matters act to act and he's pretty much the only example I can think of. Borderlands uses it's NPCs in stories a hell of a lot better. The stories aren't great, but at least they make some attempt at building up the characters and having them be part of the tale, other than "Hey, I'm NPC, go get my magic hammer back please then never speak to me again".

Also I'm not sure what point you're making about their inclusivity with different character types, because they never used that as a selling point to their story, game or characters.
    They may not have done, but any number of videogames websites did, and I'm fairly sure they've been invited to speak about it on convention panels, etc. Which is great! Honestly! Really, I applaud Gearbox for trying! More people ought to be attempting it, no argument there! But it'd just be nice if the writers who did it could write stories that weren't shit.

Also, Diablo 3's single-player bots have ongoing stories, and a couple of NPCs follow you around every now and then. Not saying D3's storytelling is any better - it's awful, and it's one reason I'm not playing the game much (I just recently bought the base game). But Borderlands 2 is in no way particularly innovative or inventive, nor is it doing anything that hasn't been attempted in some form elsewhere. As far as I'm concerned Pandora's reasonably artistically impressive but utterly lifeless otherwise.

Expendabros left me wanting more so here I am playing Broforce proper despite my initial aversion to its title. I got over that though. It's brill, it's like Cannon Fodder and Metal Slug had a baby.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    They may not have done, but any number of videogames websites did, and I'm fairly sure they've been invited to speak about it on convention panels, etc. Which is great! Honestly! Really, I applaud Gearbox for trying! More people ought to be attempting it, no argument there! But it'd just be nice if the writers who did it could write stories that weren't shit.

Also, Diablo 3's single-player bots have ongoing stories, and a couple of NPCs follow you around every now and then. Not saying D3's storytelling is any better - it's awful, and it's one reason I'm not playing the game much (I just recently bought the base game). But Borderlands 2 is in no way particularly innovative or inventive, nor is it doing anything that hasn't been attempted in some form elsewhere. As far as I'm concerned Pandora's reasonably artistically impressive but utterly lifeless otherwise.
    Donít get me wrong, I really donít care about the narrative. Well thatís not entirely true. The Plaintive cries of the Nomadís ďLeave us alone!Ē gave me pause, but I also laughed because itís that sort of comedy which plays on deliberate pathos before carrying through with the threat anyway, like Tom pleading with Jerry not to do something unspeakably evil to him. And the way the Bullmongs drag themselves across the floor when theyíre crippled makes me sad : ( I still canít really get past animal cruelty in games so long as theyíre portrayed as animals rather than just bad things in an animal skin. The general screams and cries of people you shoot is genuinely disturbing when isolated from the freneticÖeverything too.

The story is among the least consequential Iíve ever played. But Iím not playing for the story, Iím playing for the shootiní. Youíd have to be a very fine writer to make a game which revolves entirely around perpetrating a massacre of every lifeform you encounter remotely relatable or meaningful in anything other than a pulpy manner. Thatís essentially what Bioshock was going for.

The game comes first, everything else is just a colourful story to hang that on. And I think it works very well in that aspect. I chuckle on occasion. And crucially, you can skip it all if itís not your thing. Apart from Borderlands I disagree with the idea that it's been done before too.

I would say in your defence that there is maybe this notion that those who actually wrote Borderlands 2 have suggested there's more to it than saccharine window dressing. It will be interesting to see what the Borderlands Tales games are like. Because I can't see in that instance how they can be anything but charatcer driven etc. And also how they're going to reconcile the logic of that sort of dramatic approach with a universe in which life is as cheap as it has ever been in any mythos.