Page 1145 of 1235 FirstFirst ... 1456451045109511351143114411451146114711551195 ... LastLast
Results 22,881 to 22,900 of 24684
    Network Hub
    A lot of people have recommended Severance in the forums-- or maybe it's just one person, but he or she does it over and over again, I don't know. It was on sale on gog.com (although they list it under "Blade of Darkness") so I bought it.

I'm just at the beginning, I think. Although it's from 2001, it looks an awful lot like Quake, right down to the textures. This is another one where I really believe that it was probably awesome in 2001, but that doesn't make it awesome in 2014. The collision detection, for instance: this was top notch stuff for 3d, for back then. But not very impressive these days.

It's a little bit of a blend of keyboard-look and modern mouselook style, so there's no binding to strafe (although you can lock on to targets to strafe), and I keep running around and hitting a or d idly and feeling my viewport twist unexpectedly. What's interesting to me is that it doesn't twist my gut the way some other games that take over the viewport do (Batman, Darksiders come to mind first), so maybe that can be an okay feature in moderation? I dunno.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    But opening the character sheet blocks half the screen and the camera is awkward--I haven't freed it up because the game warned me there might be glitches and such and I'd probably find that just as bothersome but nonethess fights in this game make really good use of physical space and the maps are well designed ... but to do something as simple as check damage I have to throw a big chunk of opaque inventory in the way of the battlescape.
    [snip]
    I can perfectly understand why this wouldn't bother you, but I really don't understand why you can't understand why it does bother me. It seems fairly straightforward ...
    But you don't need to leave it open to obscure the battlefield, surely? If you need to compare with something and don't remember how much damage you can do you can open it, look and then close it again and it's out of the way. Pressing a button and reading two numbers shouldn't take more than one or two seconds. That's the bit I just don't get, unless this is something you feel the need to do all the time, which is equally baffling.

I can certainly understand if it's not exactly the way you want information presented, but functionally I just can't see it as a flaw even worth mention. Your swing damage is such a wide ranging number (especially if you factor in armour, resists and critical strikes) that it's of questionable use even for comparing with other skills, unless it's a life-or-death decision between killing something or trying to CC something else. Even then your chance of success depends more on chance to hit, and that is shown on mouse-over.

Unlocking the camera is fine, by the way. The worst thing that might assault your eyes is the edges of the maps, slightly more often than you see them anyway.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    But you don't need to leave it open to obscure the battlefield, surely? If you need to compare with something and don't remember how much damage you can do you can open it, look and then close it again and it's out of the way. Pressing a button and reading two numbers shouldn't take more than one or two seconds. That's the bit I just don't get, unless this is something you feel the need to do all the time, which is equally baffling.

I can certainly understand if it's not exactly the way you want information presented, but functionally I just can't see it as a flaw even worth mention. Your swing damage is such a wide ranging number (especially if you factor in armour, resists and critical strikes) that it's of questionable use even for comparing with other skills, unless it's a life-or-death decision between killing something or trying to CC something else. Even then your chance of success depends more on chance to hit, and that is shown on mouse-over.

Unlocking the camera is fine, by the way. The worst thing that might assault your eyes is the edges of the maps, slightly more often than you see them anyway.
    Good to know in terms of the camera.

You're taking this rather precisely. I compared to King's Bounty and Frozen Synapse which give you, in their own very different ways and with their very different mechanics, as complete an information suite and as unmeddlesome an information suite as their various mechanical conceits allow for. There are many ways to do it and/or to make it less important. Clearly this game manages that second one for you; it doesn't for me so I want it to provide as complete and unmeddlesome an information suite as the various mechanical conceits allow for and it likewise does not do that for me. This shouldn't be mysterious no matter how much not-a-problem for you it is. O.o

It's annoying because the way I think about combat makes me want to think about comparing the numbers even as I look at the tactical space on the map and plan out maneuvers.

I really don't understand how you can say with any seriousness that the fact that the amount of damage you do varies makes it less of an essential piece of information in combat! Health mechanics are a huge part of the game. That's why they make the health bars so evident--in two places on the UI for each character (including enemies) mind! Questionable use indeed.

I don't see how feeling the need to look at the amount of damage various things do all the time could possibly be baffling. I can see why you wouldn't need to do it (storing efficient combos and actions in a narrative-style queue, working off of intuition, working off of intuition based on subtle memorization, working off of explicit memorization, and so on). But surely you can figure out why someone would want to know all those numbers pretty much every time they attacked but wouldn't necessarily do one of the former things? Like ... that doesn't seem like a great mysterious weirdness on my part. Maybe finding the character screen visually messy and poorly organized is weird, maybe finding it annoying even after I've got muscle memory in my eyes trained on where to look for things is weird, maybe caring so much about visualizing the battlefield as I look at numbers is weird.

But wanting the damge statistics over and over in combat is definitely not weird. That's crazy talk. O.o

You've already solved the next mystery for yourself: I want to look at it a lot, and you get why I would find it annoying that something I want to look at a lot is buried even a small ways into an interface I don't like to begin with.

Besides, as already mentioned, it was an example of one of many little interface quirks I find enervating. I'll give some other examples now, too, if that will give me some breathing room on the darn damage notifications like how selecting a target is such a fiddly, twitchy clusterfcukboggle that I frequently (but not routinely, thank lord [glares at Xcom:EU's Rocket Launcher]) can't target things that are in range or end up moving instead of attacking. Or how the range indication for targeting is not the same as the behind-the-scenes range indication for targeting: siddling just-close-enough to charge the enemy has on numerous occasions led me to read "15.0 meters" on targetting the enemy (even targeting by their portrait which should say the "correct" range the game sees them at, surely, even if mouse-over is funky because they're fully physical and in a range of ranges so to speak?) but be unable to charge because they're out of range (so much for exploity thinking, there). These sorts of things pile up. I don't like them. The UI needs polish. You don't think one of the various problems I have with the UI is a problem. Cool.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 10-08-2014 at 08:58 AM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Orbital Gear. Fun but poor.
    post in progress

Lesser Hivemind Node TheDreamlord's Avatar
    I finished Foul Play yesterday and since then I've delved into a few hours of State Of Decay. I really like this game, even in it's crudeness. I wish some of the mechanics were a bit better to handle and the backpacks were a bit bigger, but all in all I am having fun with it. Is there an HD unofficial patch by any chance? :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravey View Post
    There's also Sacrifice. Another great "wizard with god powers" action/strategy game:

Oh goodness yes, Sacrifice isn't only great story and style it's also great mechanically. Capturing the souls and the long walk home with them lends meaning to all of the terrain. If you want to actually make meaningful gains from a battle you need to either steal souls or capture manaliths.

No unit is ever irrelevant and you need to get into the fights to get access to higher tier spells and summons but dividing your forces can reap benefits too. More people should play it, it embarrasses so many modern games.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Whilst playing System Shock 2 I turned a corner in Hydroponics and ran into three Midwives. Of course I mercilessly slaughtered those bitches but I think that's enough for tonight.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacewalk View Post
    Whilst playing System Shock 2 I turned a corner in Hydroponics and ran into three Midwives. Of course I mercilessly slaughtered those bitches but I think that's enough for tonight.
    CHILDREN NEED THEIR BEAUTY SLEEP

(yeah, I know, not an actual quote)

On a less evangelistic note I played the beta of Orcs Must Die: Unchained. The skill are transferable from the earlier games, have no doubt. But also skills from Natural Selection. Ambushing opponents, setting up the environment to your favour. It should be great... But then unlocks and cards throw balance and enjoyment into question, we'll see how the the complete game is. I've not given up on it, and the presence of a Coop mode is reassuring (although I couldn't get a party to play it in matchmaking).

I went back to Orcs Must Die 2 and started getting all the 5 skulls I'd missed. Now I have all but one of the main campaigns skulls. The 5th skull on twisted halls, I'm 2 minutes too slow to get all the stars but I have a good idea what I need to do. I truly hope we get Orcs Must Die 3 one day with new and unforseen ways to show boundless cruelty to to Orcs and a Plants vs Zombies style inversion (maybe like dungeonland, or my personal favourite inversion from Ecco the Dolphin 2 where you became a school of fish and evaded dolphins who ate you) where you played as a small band of Orcs and tried to lead them to the humans world. Orcs Must Live?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That mister Walker had better provide a WIT of Eidolon, and it had better be positive, or, or... I'll bitch and moan like an impotent jerk, probably, but still. Really, really liking this. It's certainly flawed, and I'm sure it'll sink like a stone regardless of what RPS think, but yeah, wonderfully, hauntingly atmospheric, solid (even excellent) writing and world-building, horribly slow but nonetheless compelling gameplay, completely non-linear... gets my vote, for what little that's worth.

The survival aspect swings from "Tra la la, I am skipping carelessly through the woods" to "GOD HELP ME I'M STARVING TO DEATH" far too fast, the lo-fi visuals don't quite convey enough detail to keep the game world as interesting as it ought to be, and the way the collectibles are laid out pretty sparsely can make the whole thing feel somewhat aimless. It comes across like an Early Access game at times. But the way the storytelling comes together little by little is great, the different voices are well written, the sheer size of the world and the melancholy emptiness of it all is haunting, and even when you're trudging through the woods thinking "Yawn", there are still moments when night falls and you see the trees in just the right light and the stars overhead and you think wow, or you're sitting by a creek stocking up on fish for the umpteenth time and you catch yourself watching one of the hawks circling overhead and musing in a daze about how pretty it looks up there.

It'd be a shame if it disappeared without a trace, it really would. It's S.T.A.L.K.E.R. as re-imagined by Tale of Tales (now that's put off just about everybody reading this), and I've not played anything else quite like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I truly hope we get Orcs Must Die 3 one day with new and unforseen ways to show boundless cruelty to to Orcs and a Plants vs Zombies style inversion (maybe like dungeonland, or my personal favourite inversion from Ecco the Dolphin 2 where you became a school of fish and evaded dolphins who ate you) where you played as a small band of Orcs and tried to lead them to the humans world. Orcs Must Live?
    Ordinarily I'm not one for lazy franchise extensions but... yeah, I'd buy that. The mere thought/the prospective title made me giggle.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    A lot of people have recommended Severance in the forums-- or maybe it's just one person, but he or she does it over and over again, I don't know. It was on sale on gog.com (although they list it under "Blade of Darkness") so I bought it.

I'm just at the beginning, I think. Although it's from 2001, it looks an awful lot like Quake, right down to the textures. This is another one where I really believe that it was probably awesome in 2001, but that doesn't make it awesome in 2014. The collision detection, for instance: this was top notch stuff for 3d, for back then. But not very impressive these days.

It's a little bit of a blend of keyboard-look and modern mouselook style, so there's no binding to strafe (although you can lock on to targets to strafe), and I keep running around and hitting a or d idly and feeling my viewport twist unexpectedly. What's interesting to me is that it doesn't twist my gut the way some other games that take over the viewport do (Batman, Darksiders come to mind first), so maybe that can be an okay feature in moderation? I dunno.
    I mentioned it in the melee games thread few days ago (and i might have some long past days mentioned it in another place or time but not regularly at least =).
    I do admit that when i bought it 2 days ago and played it for first time in 10 years or something, it didn't feel that good to play anymore, the controlling feels pretty clunky (both combat moves and the actual movement).

I'll most likely file it under "memories are being gilded" and not play it for another 10 years, though maybe i'll try play a bit further.

EDIT: In addition, played guacamelee almost through now (positive surprise, wouldn't have thought i'd like the game as much as i do), and some rounds of hearthstone.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravey View Post
    Reminds me of Pirates!, which reminds me that there are no good pirate games (AirBuccaneers is alright, though).
    Monkey Island? hell even Borderlands!

Speaking of Pirates, I'm still playing Risen 2, which although not a GREAT pirate game, has enough voodoo, swashbuckling and treasure hunting to keep it serviceable. Although i'm not sure which is worse, a game that just falls flat, or a game that falls flat but only due to not enough investment and conviction in its theme. Risen 2 has contiuned to feel like a fantasy game with a pirate skin.

I'm at the last stretch/island/level and its got to the point where most traditional RPGs get toward the end; Its very linear and my character is just an absolute monster in combat making the game no challenge at all, which is a shame as they got everything so right just a mere corner ago with the Island of the Dead. COME ON PIRANAH BYTES I KNOW YOU CAN MAKE GOOD GAME THINGS! STOP FAFFING ABOUT!

I'm gonna power through this last part just to say i've completed it. But all in all I think I was done with Risen 2 10 hours ago.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I really like X-Com: Enemy Unknown (2012) but there was no shortage of players who thought the campaign was a bit too railroaded and balanced. It’s missing that sense that the world goes on without you, a superior alien force performing operations you can’t always stop or see. The famed Long War mod seems to remedy this and tries to convey not every scenario is worth the insane risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    The famed Long War mod seems to remedy this and tries to convey not every scenario is worth the insane risk.
    The "Lets go home boys" effect, its a beautiful thing to pile back onto the Skyranger and chalk one up as a loss, it just feels "right". I only ever got that in the early Exalt raids if my main guys were out of action, raiding the data server and running away felt satisfyingly haphazard.

Quote Originally Posted by TomxJ View Post
    Borderlands!
    If you open the door up the Space Pirates all bets are off.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    The "Lets go home boys" effect, its a beautiful thing to pile back onto the Skyranger and chalk one up as a loss, it just feels "right". I only ever got that in the early Exalt raids if my main guys were out of action, raiding the data server and running away felt satisfyingly haphazard.
    Wait, you can do that? I always thought abandoning a mission left everyone for dead so I never tried it because I figured I might as well die the hard way. Whoops.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I did that a couple of times when I was still learning the game, just due to ineptitude. My first terror mission springs to mind, with half the team dead the other half ran for it. And yes, a version of the game that would cause me to have to consider that on a regular basis would be a beautiful thing, I really should take a look at Long War sometime.

Problem is, if you're not succeeding regularly, you'll lose the game somewhere down the line anyway, with losses and expenses snowballing out of control. Might as well restart/save scum and save some lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    I tried that Life in the Woods Minecraft modpack. It is BRUTAL. Delving into the earth is a horrible endeavour as ores are incredibly scarce and the seemingly endless variety of minerals is completely disorientating. That wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the skeletons: they'll destroy you in close quarters unless you can sneak up on them, since their fire rate and knockback is more than your running speed. What's worse, their max range has also been increased so they can put an arrow in my eye before I can even see them. I tried playing with the hunger mod as well but that was just ridiculous. I had to keep wolfing down food every minute just to not starve. I ate six whole chickens just to go from 'starving' to 'hungry'. I had to remove that, it wasn't a good addition at all.

In short, it's nothing like a peaceful and harmonious coexistence with nature that the mod might make you think it is, but the added difficulty and general shaking up of the gameplay has made it very enjoyable for me.
    Did you try the shaders that were used in the video on the RPS main page too?

I started playing Warhammer 40K: Space Marine, and enjoying it so far. I have run into an annoying bug though: the game often goes into a kind of "slow motion". It's not a framerate drop, the FPS is as high as ever, it's just like the game suddenly runs at 30% of the normal speed for a few seconds. I did a bit of Googling, and I found out a lot of people suffer from this problem. Did anyone here experience it, and if so: were you able to solve it? Disabling V-Sync didn't do anything for me.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    Did you try the shaders that were used in the video on the RPS main page too?

I started playing Warhammer 40K: Space Marine, and enjoying it so far. I have run into an annoying bug though: the game often goes into a kind of "slow motion". It's not a framerate drop, the FPS is as high as ever, it's just like the game suddenly runs at 30% of the normal speed for a few seconds. I did a bit of Googling, and I found out a lot of people suffer from this problem. Did anyone here experience it, and if so: were you able to solve it? Disabling V-Sync didn't do anything for me.
    I experienced that myself but I never found a fix for it. I think later in the game it just seemed to go away though.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Is that Long War balanced with the "sometimes you lose" in mind? Would be nice to have more games where the "loss condition" isn't full loss. If in a proper stealth game your stealth is blown, you can most often flee or fight and then re-establish stealth (let's not talk about the fps games with stealth sections that auto lose and force restart on detection).

I know you can lose a mission or few in normal EU, but could be great if one could lose more often but still have a fighting chance in that mod.