Page 1149 of 1259 FirstFirst ... 14964910491099113911471148114911501151115911991249 ... LastLast
Results 22,961 to 22,980 of 25163
    Obscure Node
    I've found myself being dragged back into Kerbal Space Program, with the Better Than Starting Manned mod. So far I've managed to reliably launch manned and unmanned probes into low-Kerbin orbit, though getting the manned probes back safely on Kerbin is proving to be somewhat hit and miss (thanks, Deadly Re-Entry).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    How is Assassin's Creed IV a 25 GB download? Previous games were way smaller! Why do games get this big? My internet connection is painfully slow normally, but is currently reduced by another 40 %, for some reason. It would take 50 hours to download the damn thing!

That said, I notice there's a check box that says "Launch game when playable" on the Uplay downloader (which is quite clunky otherwise). Does that mean that I don't need the game fully downloaded to play it? Good feature, if that's what it does (and doesn't just shave off the last five minutes)! Still not enough for me to sit through a 50 hour download, though.

So, as I mentioned earlier, I played around a bit with the M&B: Warband Floris mod. Enlisted as a single troop in Swadia and leveled up to a C7 Baron Mineure(?). Wasn't really too much fun though. It was so passive and slow. I would've quit earlier if it wasn't for my latent completionist kicking in when I was so close to reaching the top tier. If I play more, I'm probably going to just break off and form a roaming band of miscreants.

Oh, and I must say I like the discussion that sprung up from my last post here! A lot of interesting thoughts and reflections!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    How is Assassin's Creed IV a 25 GB download? Previous games were way smaller! Why do games get this big? My internet connection is painfully slow normally, but is currently reduced by another 40 %, for some reason. It would take 50 hours to download the damn thing!
    Bought it off humble, and torrented the ISO's off humble. Perfect stable downloads :D

edit: Oh, your net is poorly?

Maybe you need to think about buying dic games more often? Often they'll go on a download service as a backup anyway.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Bought it off humble, and torrented the ISO's off humble. Perfect stable downloads :D

edit: Oh, your net is poorly?

Maybe you need to think about buying dic games more often? Often they'll go on a download service as a backup anyway.
    Yeah, I guess I should, but I just hate to have a bunch of discs lying around. My download speed is usually acceptable enough that it's not much of a bother with a bit of foresight. (Although I honestly believe that I might have the slowest internet in Stockholm.) Also had no idea that it was on Humble. Still uses Uplay though, right?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Are there actually places in Stockholm without good fibre coverage these days? A 100Mbit connection goes for 250-350/month here in Gothenburg, and I've got something like 25+ providers to choose between. Even mobile broadband has decent bandwidth these days, though it's obviously a bit pants latency-wise.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I signed-up for the Final Fantasy XIV 'free trial' and played it a bit over the 14 days but - it's - well - it's

It's the most basic MMO I've played it years, EVERYTHING is "go there and kill X of them" or "go there and collect X things by killing them " or "go there and pickup things which will cause X things to appear from nowhere you'll have to kill". Added to that, there are endless Hunt/Resource awards for - well - killing things (even gathering is basically implemented as 'killing things for loot') - hell someone asked me to go find her friend (who's actually her brother) and I had to kill him and the game even laughed about the fact it happened! :)

It's very FF of course and I hate FF as a rule (that up-down scale riff is like nails down a blackboard to me) too...

Thing is tho - despite all that, I find it enormously absorbing - so I even went and bought it (9.99 from Squeenix on-sale this week)

It's not for the story - it's not for the game - it might be for the world which is lovely to look at - it might be for the weird and wonderfully dressed/mounted players I've met (and the fact you meet people from all levels in all parts of the game is a massive plus) - it's just - well - it's a nice place to go and hit things for a while - not in any way taxing - eveytthing you do is progress of a sort etc.

The fact you can play ANY class and do ANY skill with just 1 character is - well - interesting. I find myself at Level 13 (Lancer) 7 (Archer) 3 (Tree Chopper) wondering if I should have made a character which doesn't look like Hodor (at least I didn't call it Hodor Hodor - tho I'm guilty of using a "naughty" nickname as the game chided me for "Kerr Ang" but I've been Kerrang in every MMO in history!!)

Overall tho - I'm just glad my usual addiction to MMOs isn't dead - it's just that GW2 and Wildstar left me stoney-cold!!

Lesser Hivemind Node EPICTHEFAIL's Avatar
    Elite Dangerous is consuming my life at a rather alarming rate. I just bought a Cobra Mk. 3 and am currently grinding credits by trading so I can upgrade it to a reasonably capable combat craft. Even with just 55 systems it is mindbogglingly massive, I just flew 5 and a half light-hours from Chango to I Bootis B/C.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    Are there actually places in Stockholm without good fibre coverage these days? A 100Mbit connection goes for 250-350/month here in Gothenburg, and I've got something like 25+ providers to choose between. Even mobile broadband has decent bandwidth these days, though it's obviously a bit pants latency-wise.
    Well, there is one place. This place isn't connected. It's not like other houses, but the issue is not that we can't get connected, but rather that we won't. I'm in the inner city, so my situation is probably rather unique. Anyway, it's pretty much beyond my control and I've managed to get by with this for five years now. Pretty much exactly five years now that I think about it, maybe a couple of days left.

I actually do have a sort of mobile broadband solution, but it seems to have stopped working with my desktop after my main drive failed a while back. Don't know how to get it going again, but I'll cancel it soon anyway. (Tre can shove it.)

Yeah, I guess I should, but I just hate to have a bunch of discs lying around. My download speed is usually acceptable enough that it's not much of a bother with a bit of foresight. (Although I honestly believe that I might have the slowest internet in Stockholm.) Also had no idea that it was on Humble. Still uses Uplay though, right?
    Yes, but once activated (which will requisite installing patches I think) it never need go online again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Well, there is one place. This place isn't connected. It's not like other houses, but the issue is not that we can't get connected, but rather that we won't. I'm in the inner city, so my situation is probably rather unique. Anyway, it's pretty much beyond my control and I've managed to get by with this for five years now. Pretty much exactly five years now that I think about it, maybe a couple of days left.

I actually do have a sort of mobile broadband solution, but it seems to have stopped working with my desktop after my main drive failed a while back. Don't know how to get it going again, but I'll cancel it soon anyway. (Tre can shove it.)
    That's a bummer. And absolutely agreed regarding Tre. :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    EYE: Divine something

This was a weird experience. I can't say I liked the game itself but some parts were really good. Some other parts were really bad though. Ultra-low budget, I guess. What matters is that I was invested into this game, not for the vague story but mostly for the weirdness of it all, different level design plus gunplay was good( at last, useful shotgun, decent minigun etc) and RPG parts/uprgrades were interesting, much potential for a completely different replay, nice music. Worst things are terrible Mars level( "now... go kill 27 enemies") and horrible UI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    The fact you can play ANY class and do ANY skill with just 1 character is - well - interesting. I find myself at Level 13 (Lancer) 7 (Archer) 3 (Tree Chopper) wondering if I should have made a character which doesn't look like Hodor (at least I didn't call it Hodor Hodor - tho I'm guilty of using a "naughty" nickname as the game chided me for "Kerr Ang" but I've been Kerrang in every MMO in history!!)
    What on earth did their censor object to there? Scratched my head a bit but I couldn't think of anything.
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

Kerrang is a brand name of a music channel, personally I object to people tradmarking ancient onomatopoeia.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Well fudge, should've waited. The X-Com Long War mod appears to bug out around mid-game with the skyranger refusing to return to headquarters after any mission. I've loaded a few saves and confirmed this event appears to be impassable. Really enjoyed the experience up till this point.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    After fiddling with Xpadder, I've managed to get Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver going. Bad points - movement and direction are a tad fiddly (although I feel this'd be the case regardless of control method), the Steam screenshot button seems unable to work and just under an hour in I've hit a dead-end. In the physical world, I've entered a circular room with a tower in it and a crystal type thing at the top in the middle...and nowhere to proceed. I've tried changing between worlds and exploring the submerged section to not avail. Hitting or trying to move the crystal seems to produce no effects. I'm afraid I'm stumped.

On the plus side, whilst the game is quite old, it actually just about holds up. Its visual style works quite well with bland and undetailed scenery and the main character's design is great. Combat works well, especially in being able to take items off the walls and use them as weapons which gives it all a scrappy feel. Plus points for being able to pull a torch off the wall, use it to ignite and finish off an enemy and then finding a bonfire near by to relight it; you're not told you can do that either, it just feels intuitive to be able to do so.

So far it seems like the controls will be the biggest challenge in the game. They're not difficult to know what they do, even when seeing keyboard inputs that you're trying to connect to whatever you've put that too on your controller, just loose and of their age. That and being stuck. If anyone could tell me how to proceed in as minimal detail as possible, mostly to stop myself feeling like an idiot with the inevitable simple solution, that'd be great.