Page 1150 of 1190 FirstFirst ... 150650105011001140114811491150115111521160 ... LastLast
Results 22,981 to 23,000 of 23788
    Activated Node
    I have decided that Transistoris an Important Game.

As was probably to be expected with Supergiant, the world-building is great, the plot is great. The combat is not good, mostly because of limited ways in which it can be used - enemy variety is limited, arenas are small, and for some reason they thought it was a good idea to have you running around waiting for your turn timer to recharge.

[Heavy spoilers]

However, despite this limitation, I honestly think the game gets the balance between in-game actions and the development of the story down perfectly. This comes down to something that was mentioned in the WiT - Red is pure action. She is nothing else, and this fits the revenge quest that the story deals with so nicely. At the end, her 'choice' to commit suicide is the only meaningful action left for her to perform, with the result that she acknowledges that her ability to do anything else wouldn't be meaningful due to the lack of people or interaction that would've followed. Rather than face further meaningless action, she instead decides to embrace the opposite, and become the meaningful person that her situation never let her be. What's best about this is the fact that your actions, as a player, follow this to a letter. The small vignettes (using the loo, washing) are largely pointless in game, instead just operating as breathing room for the player to continue her rampage. Other than that, she is operating the only way she (and the player) can do in that situation. When she speaks, finally, at the end, she moves away from that realm completely and into a place where, even if it isn't 'real' in the sense that cloudbank was (and I think it was), her actions have meaning beyond their function.

[End Spoilers]

Basically, I think it is a game where the actions of the player in game, and the plot, are perfectly in balance. This is in contrast to other games that make your actions far less than the story (Bioshock Infinite's massacre of a city) and those that try to make your actions equal to the story (Dear Esther).

Based on the experience, I've decided Greg Kasavin has been reading quite a lot of Post-Hegelian philosophy. Also, been playing the Longest Journey. It's funny seeing his name in the credits when he used to annoy me so much on his videos for Gamespot.

Going to give Hegemony: Rome a go next, as Three Moves Ahead seemed to like it so much.

I've been playing a bit of Bioshock. I'm not having fun. It's actually my second attempt but I just can't get into it. I thought that maybe the first time I didn't enjoy it because of poor performance as I played it on an old computer but it seems that's not actually the problem.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I've been playing a bit of Bioshock. I'm not having fun.
    It's rubbish once you stop cooing at the pretty dystopia, skip it and play Bio2 which is genuinely good on many levels.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've been playing a bit of Bioshock. I'm not having fun. It's actually my second attempt but I just can't get into it. I thought that maybe the first time I didn't enjoy it because of poor performance as I played it on an old computer but it seems that's not actually the problem.
    It has one truly great scene in it and a couple of memorable ones. Other than that it's a great idea stretched out for far too long, wrapped in some very, very videogame-y design and an unexceptional first person shooter. Good, and it's iconic for a reason, but it's not something I'd say anyone has to play.

2 made a lot of the same mistakes, trod a bit too much familiar ground and strains to live up to the first game far too often (when it didn't even need to) but it did the story and the combat far, far better. Again, I'd only recommend it with some reservations, but it's still one of my favourite games of all time.
    I post photos here. I write stories here. I'm on Twitter here.

I tried to play some Dead Island but five hours in and it's plain bad. It's a poorly done Borderlands clone with none of the charm and twice its flaws.
    I suppose it's bearable in coop but otherwise it's just one pointless fetch quest after another. Ugh.
    New! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Not exactly new! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Kind of old! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I'm playing too much Euro Truck Simulator 2, for some reason. It's... relaxing? Except when speed traps or suicidal drivers irritate the hell out of me, anyway. There is something weirdly satisfying and somewhat meditative about the whole thing, though, and the sense of exploration (and the sightseeing in general) is surprisingly good.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    I tried to play some Dead Island but five hours in and it's plain bad. It's a poorly done Borderlands clone with none of the charm and twice its flaws.
    I suppose it's bearable in coop but otherwise it's just one pointless fetch quest after another. Ugh.
    It's melee Borderlands with zombies but yes, it's only really fun in co-op. Then again, I'd say the same of Borderlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    I haven't played it. But the only way I think I could do it is with the mod that allows this kind of stuff:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I'm playing too much Euro Truck Simulator 2, for some reason. It's... relaxing? Except when speed traps or suicidal drivers irritate the hell out of me, anyway. There is something weirdly satisfying and somewhat meditative about the whole thing, though, and the sense of exploration (and the sightseeing in general) is surprisingly good.
    Your screenshots do sell that aspect pretty well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Restarted the Starcraft 2 expansion, which I abandoned at launch after a couple of missions.
    Everything is awesome except the writing and Kerrigan. Playing as such a bitch is annoying.
    Always fun to see how much effort the artists put into cinematics despite the script being a piece of shit.
    The game design is amazing but I'm not sure how much I can handle.

It was super-depressing to go into the stats screens. 208 weeks have passed since I started playing Starcraft 2... 208 weeks, man. That's horrible.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Your screenshots do sell that aspect pretty well.
    Thanks. For the record, you're doing a nice job selling Eidolon the same way. :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    What on earth did their censor object to there? Scratched my head a bit but I couldn't think of anything.
    It didn't censor as-such - the first NPC you meet chides you about your name not being silly or something like that - asks you to confirm you want to keep it...

Given that I've met everyone from Michael Vercetti to Gautama Ramamalamadingdong I guess it's not advice often taken ;0

FF XIV really is something tho - I dislike the style, the floating teddy bears, the music and the game itself is cookie-cutter old-school "kill X of this" MMO and yet it's just a nice place to go and hit a few things (trees, monsters or craft benches) for some reason I cannot put my finger-on at all.

There's a voice in my head screaming "Rift does this and costs nowt" but I still keep going back to XIV anyway - no, it's not worth a subs - it might not even be worth the upfront cost but it's like a pair of comfy slippers...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    I haven't played it. But the only way I think I could do it is with the mod that allows this kind of stuff:

That's beautiful.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    That's beautiful.
    Sadly the actual mod doesn't have all those sound FX/the music, but the video's still a thing of beauty, yes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Sadly the actual mod doesn't have all those sound FX/the music, but the video's still a thing of beauty, yes.
    And now I'm sad.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    And now I'm sad.
    Admittedly it was a while ago when I originally saw it, but given the first page of YouTube comments has people asking about that and being answered in the negative, I'm going to assume the mod still isn't "complete" unless anyone wants to correct me. I almost bought Dead Island when someone first linked that vid (until it was explained it wasn't as great as it looked), and I'd still pick it up cheap just to mess around like that if I could.

So after many tonnes of procrastination and attempts to fill that gap with other games, I finally gave up and installed Torchlight II. It's yet another one of those games whose demo actually hurts sales: it's long (4+ hours it lasted me) but not long enough.

It's probably my fault for never realizing the game, even on Veteran, is simply not that challenging for way too many hours - I was still dying every now and then, because I was meeting no opposition worth mentioning for 99% of the time, then suddenly walked in a bigger brawl than I could handle, my death a combination of sheer underestimation and overly cautious quaffing.

Might have took 8 hours before things started getting a little hard on a regular basis. I had second thoughts about picking the engineer, my choice was driven mainly by a misplaced expectation of it being closer to T1's Alchemist, all traps and cool stuff, rather than a heavy melee fighter.

Good for me that it can be built as a cannon-wielding jack of (almost) all trades.

I LOL'led. The island IMO is great, recently the game came back to mind and I was very tempted to play that part again.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'm in love with Hand of Fate. The idea reminds me a bit of Battlechess. You play a cardgame against a mage of sorts. The cards you play come alive during combat, where equipment cards and similar materilaize in the hands of your warrior and you battle the enemies that too have spawned in from cards.

But instead of chess as the base game, this is more along the lines of typical P&P boardgames and the mage serves the role of the snarky Dungeon Master. The presentation is fairly decent, for it's price and the voice actor really sells the mage character and the snark. It's in early access but with the exception of a few balancing issues and some minor bugs, this alreadey seems quite finished. Other Devs would just throw this out and call it a day.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    even on Veteran, is simply not that challenging for way too many hours
    Here's what I recommend for your next character (or unless you download a respec mod); look through ALL of the skills on that class and then determine a specific play-style. I don't just mean following one tree of skills, although that could work, but looking for skills that work well with a specific characteristic. Eg. a melee-focused mage, a sword/gun combo, only using one type of weapon and so on. It makes the game harder and gives you a much more personal connection to that character when it's one with specific traits. It also provides a little more challenge of finding things that work with the play-style you have in mind. Whilst this could work on the hardest difficulty, no doubt some people have been successful with it with some builds, I find Veteran is the perfect blend of difficulty and lack of need for min-maxing skills.

I'm carrying on with Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver after reading a FAQ and determining I'd missed a lever on a wall. It was frustrating because I knew where I needed to go by seeing paths in the previous room, but I simply didn't see it. As soon as I knew what I was looking for, I found it in seconds. I've had a couple of moments of that with the game so far, along with some annoying sound bugs that persist until the game is closed, just missing obvious things because the game hasn't communicated it amazingly. There's been moments of clarity, moments of the resolution working against me and missing something that feels obvious but lacked the visual, errr, lack of clarity to make out properly.

I'm now at another dead-end which I'll come back to later. Whilst it's linearity makes it easy to know what to do next for the majority of the time, if you miss something it can be super frustrating because it's hardly like you can leave it and do something else in the mean time whilst you try and think of the solution in your head. And whilst the music is great, I throw further criticism at the portals which can be really annoying to use because you need to remember the right symbol of where you last were and considering they're not exactly simple, it can be easy to forget.