Page 1155 of 1181 FirstFirst ... 155655105511051145115311541155115611571165 ... LastLast
Results 23,081 to 23,100 of 23605
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Did you know you can feed laser turrets drugs and then kill them through the withdrawal?
    That sounds like the best game ever.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    Creeper World 3: Arc Eternal. I forget who here recommended this game, but I'm glad they made me buy it.
    It was probably me comparing it to playing in the bath or mash and gravy. It is more minecraft of strategy, fluid dynamics kinda demand it.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm-Hmm. View Post
    Aside from that, some fiddling about in Minecraft and I've started playing Baldur's Gate again as well.
    Man, I want to try some Minecraft mods, but I don't know what it is with that game and my hand. Every time I try to play, my index finger starts to hurt horribly. No other game brings the same kind of pain. I have even tried to remap "jump" to the mouse and "hit" to space. I think it must be some kind of PTSD after the interminable playing seasons of years ago.

So I'm trying to maintain the Iberian kingdoms under my rule while I dodge the Muslim menace to the south in Crusader Kings 2, again. Fewer clicks per minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    It was probably me comparing it to playing in the bath or mash and gravy.
    hehe. Possibly.

It is more minecraft of strategy, fluid dynamics kinda demand it.
    yeah, I had the impression it was tower defense of a sort, but that really doesn't do it justice.

yeah, I had the impression it was tower defense of a sort, but that really doesn't do it justice.
    1 was, you didnt get your own goo in 1, so it was just an amorphous opponent, it was like trying to clean up pasta sauce with a wet napkin.

1 was, you didnt get your own goo in 1, so it was just an amorphous opponent, it was like trying to clean up pasta sauce with a wet napkin.
    heh. I never tried the earlier games. Maybe that's a good thing.

3 feels like the end result of something that has been refined over time until they got the various mechanics just right.
    It somehow feels like playing Defense Grid, not so much the gameplay, but because things just work.

heh. I never tried the earlier games. Maybe that's a good thing.
    2 is very much its own thing, its side on so gravity is a big deal, its not bad at all. 1 was improved on by 3 in every way.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It bears repeating that Meltdown really is a neat little third-person shooter, for a mobile port. It's still got flaws - it's repetitive, fairly simple and the character progression does occasionally feel like something that was originally F2P - but it controls well, looks and sounds good (fantastic dubstep soundtrack, and kudos for an announcer voice in a budget game that doesn't make me want to tear my own ears off). The weapons and explosions feel nicely weighty, and if you can get a four-player game going online works well and it's absolute bedlam in places (it throws more and harder enemies at you). Seriously, it's a dollar in the latest Groupees bundle (it's in the PWYW tier) - it is so, so, so worth that. Worth more than the $5 it normally costs on Steam, to be honest. It's no classic, but it's certainly one of the more pleasant surprises I've had playing games this year.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 21-08-2014 at 12:59 PM.
    I post photos here. I write stories here. I'm on Twitter here.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Seriously, it's a dollar in the latest Groupees bundle (it's in the PWYW tier) - it is so, so, so worth that.
    Yeah, yeah. Enough already, I cave :). Still not springing for the BT$5 level, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurple View Post
    Yeah, yeah. Enough already, I cave :). Still not springing for the BT$5 level, though.
    Oh, for sure... I dunno about Betrayer, but first impressions suggest you're not missing out on Whispering Willows (I'm in no real hurry to play more) or Mysterious Cities of Gold (it's not bad, but this is definitely a 69 pence mobile title for kids blown up to a PC screen). Haven't tried Consortium, so I've no idea if I'll get all those bugs someone mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm-Hmm. View Post
    Update: Currently playing Mark of the Ninja again, doing the new game plus thingie plus special edition content. Aside from that, some fiddling about in Minecraft and I've started playing Baldur's Gate again as well.
    I've tried getting into Baldur's Gate a few times but I always seem to struggle, the combat is difficult and unforgiving. I do enjoy it but I've found that I die a lot. Am I doing something wrong or is that just how the game is?

P.S. I've been wanting to get my hands on Planescape: Torment.

Baldurs gate is filled with beardy nonsense. Quick save after each fight you survived intact.

Baldurs gate is filled with beardy nonsense. Quick save after each fight you survived intact.
    This, basically. The combat in the older D&D games is very unforgiving, and there's a fair bit of trial and error involved.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    This, basically. The combat in the older D&D games is very unforgiving, and there's a fair bit of trial and error involved.
    And launching fireballs at targets off-screen.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    And launching fireballs at targets off-screen.
    Don't forget Death Clouds and Webs!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Thing is I did this with BG 2, but I still took a hell of a lot of damage most of the time, and I got fed up of sleeping for three days in the sewers or whatever to recover and no-one batting an eye. One reason I still haven't started that up again (I have the GOG version, so I lost my saves when I upgraded to Win8).

Quote Originally Posted by Squiz View Post
    Don't forget Death Clouds and Webs!
    And saving before each use of any lighting spell...

Actually I started BG EE again on my Nexus7. I've never completed the game before (But i did finish both BG2 and the expansion.)

As always I struggled to choose my character class. I've finally choose to play a dwarven Fighter/Cleric.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    One reason I still haven't started that up again (I have the GOG version, so I lost my saves when I upgraded to Win8).
    Son, I think it's time I spoke to you about Dropbox.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by heliocentric View Post
    son, i think it's time i spoke to you about dropbox.
    I'll back up the files this afternoon, dad, jeez

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by seshFriend View Post
    I've tried getting into Baldur's Gate a few times but I always seem to struggle, the combat is difficult and unforgiving. I do enjoy it but I've found that I die a lot. Am I doing something wrong or is that just how the game is?
    A couple of non-obvious things about Baldur's Gate 1 that may prove useful:

1) Ranged weapons are powerful, particularly bows
    2) Most enemies have fairly poor saving throws

Doesn't really apply in BG2.

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks
    I got fed up of sleeping for three days in the sewers or whatever to recover and no-one batting an eye
    That's assuming you avoid the Wandering Monsters on rest, which has always been a poor way of "punishing" resting, especially in a game with a quicksave.

I like to try to play BG2 with a soft "complete dungeons without resting" rule. This is quite interesting and changes the spell selection somewhat.
    Last edited by NathanH; 21-08-2014 at 07:09 PM.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.