Page 1157 of 1190 FirstFirst ... 157657105711071147115511561157115811591167 ... LastLast
Results 23,121 to 23,140 of 23799
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Headshots are for nubs. A groin shot or leg shot to stagger and eyeball shots to damage.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Fallout Tactics is pretty good for giving you the perfect new recruits to tackle the next enemy. Deathclaws tear Supermutants a new asshole, good damage and constant knockdown if I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Headshots are for nubs. A groin shot or leg shot to stagger and eyeball shots to damage.
    Its quite easy to hit the head and headshots have a high chance of a knock out, as I said it works for me.

Works for nubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Works for nubs.
    1. Be excellent to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
    1. Be excellent to each other.
    2. Nothing wrong with being a nub.

Straight trolling though eyeshots are impractical but horrific to consider.

Activated Node
    Sniper rifles to annoy them, LMGs and rockets to kill them when they charge you. Against the armoured ones, you want high damage per round rather than lots of rounds. I used one SAW and one .50 cal, and never had too much trouble with ammo for the latter so long as I used it sparingly.

Mutants aren't so bad. Wait until you meet the robots. Ha. Ahahahaha. Haaaaah. *sob*

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I've been enjoying the latest AI War Expansion: Destroyer of Worlds. This has sneaked up on me, I wasn't even aware it was in Development and then I suddenly saw it on the Storepage, fully released. Arcen don't get a lot of media coverage anymore, do they?
    Either way, I don't know how much of what has changed is owed to the expansion and what's been done in one of the myriad of updates sinve I've last played. Right off the bat I noticed that it plays quite a bit more fluent now, less stuttering and lag when sending about large amounts of fleets. Another change is the removal of Crystal as a Ressource. It has been joined into Metal and streamlines a lot of the ressource gathering. I actually like that change.
    Another nice change is the option to have alternate progression for the Champion Ships, using this you no longer have to do those time consuming sidemissions while the AI eats your planets alive but instead gain Levels as you gain Knowledge from Research. Very nice.

So either way, definitely one of the new changes from the expansion are the so called Nomad Planets. They basically roam the galaxy map on a certain path and as they travel, they connect to nearby wormholes and disonnect when the distance is too great. This is an absolute gamechanger. I used to play in a way that I'd setup whipping posts in chokepoints, planets that were destined to take the brunt of the attack by making sure the AI can only come from that direction. With the nomad planets, the whole wormhole architecture can CHANGE.
    And sometimes, in a really rather nasty way. I love it. For example, a Nomad Planet was closing in on my home station and I thought, yeah no big deal. I've got everything under control. I'll just dig in until it has passed. And so I did and the Nomad Planet connected with all the shiny wormholes I didn't want it to connect with. And curious as I am, I decided to send Scouts to the Nomad Planet. Uh huh, uh huh. A Mk4 Planet, really better keep it down. But wait, Mk4 Planet it couldn't be, can it?

A Nomad Planet with. A. Fricking. AI. Homeworld. On. It. At. My. Doorstep. Ring ring, this is Doom, yeah I'm affraid this won't be nice. And I spent the next couple of minutes keeping as low a profile as I could while anxiously waiting for the AI Homeworld to pass on. Everytime an Attack came, I thought I was done for but it was always from the smaller planets. That was tense. I breathed a sigh of relief when it finally moved on to other planets and then I realized something.

Reinforcement.
    Is.
    Likely.

Well, fuck.
    (for those that have never played it, a reinforced planet gets a nice chunk of extra ships everytime the AI boosts it's defenses. Triggering an AI Homeworld by having it become aware of your presense this early into the game is rather... not so smart. And proximity is a trigger.).

Network Hub
    Didn't know what to play, so I decided to go back to Just Cause 2. I continued a save from a couple of years ago, and I remembered what I was doing back then. I was travelling around the island, assasinating all the colonels. First I would need to locate them, then sneak around the base without being seen, and then take them out with the sniper. Fun was had. :)

Although the game still has the annoying escalation mechanics. Sadly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I thought the mutant part of Tactics was by far the best part of the game. The writing was interesting, and the combat was fun without turning into a slog.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by theForged View Post
    Words...
    That's nuts. I've never actually finished a game of AI war, but have started plenty. Picked up all the expansions because I like what Arcen do regardless, however.

I've got a lot of hours on trains this weekend, and just spent the 3 hour trip to Birmingham playing it - it completely sucked me in. I've been on a bit of a downer with games recently - hard to find anything that held my attention - but I'm having a great time. I've not got nomad planets on (or a lot of the crazy stuff, actually), and really enjoy playing it as a board game more than anything. I've already seen some wickedly advanced feints on the part of the AI even 3 hours in, with my ships often being at what was definitely the wrong end of my defensive line. 2 Advanced Research Stations already though, although I'm running out of 'obvious' targets, so have to make some strategic decisions fairly soon.

There's a few of us that play it - What do you think about setting up a weekly co-op game at some point?

Well, I finished the mutant missions yesterday and it was a slog. I spent most of the time roaming the map with Alice and Max and hope they instagib the enemy before they instagib them. Meanwhile my maddeningly min-maxed main marksman merely hits for single digits. I tested it, aimed shots just about never result in critical hits. I get 95% accuracy even while standing from just about any point on the map and yet I still miss more often than I score critical hits. Ideally you want to cripple the arms of mutants to prevent them from shooting but I crippled like two arms in the entirety of the game. I swear the RNG is rigged...
    New! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Not exactly new! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Kind of old! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Network Hub
    I was playing a ton of Warlock (the first one) because it was one of the better, repeatable games I had laying around. And it's a great game, despite its flaws. But I was overplaying it, so I decided to go to the source, and bought myself some Civilization IV. What I wanted was just a repeat of the last time I had a Civ disk lying around, and that was a Civ 3, so that's why I went for IV.

And somehow, despite the fact that it didn't really deviate too strongly from how I remembered Civ 3 as playing-- it all felt wrong. It wasn't aimed at me, for one thing: there was this fluffy "world music," and cartoony Wii styled visuals, and big chunky art that felt like Duplo blocks. But I still enjoyed myself over a couple of games. Then, there was a Steam sale on Civilization V, which I had heard departed from its precursors significantly, so I bought it, and have been giving it a shot.

The first thing that stands out with Civ V (vs IV) is the art. Where IV seemed designed to pretend to some sappy imitation of multiculturalism in hopes of getting bought by parents of ten year olds, parents who would never touch the game again, V seems aimed at the tablet market. Great color depth, interface inspired by Apple. And the whole thing is all art deco and modernism. It turns out to make a huge difference in my enjoyment of the game.

The changes they from III->IV don't seem very notable-- the whole "great person" thing doesn't really affect my play, but then, Civ has always been about pointless if automated complexity, and I'm glad they didn't change that. The changes from IV->V, though, seem well thought out. I think that maybe if there were about four or six times as many hexes for a given area, with units' sizes reduced but not landscape features, the whole unit shuffle might be a bit less painful, but other than that, it's got my hearty approval.

Quote Originally Posted by mrki View Post
    Didn't know what to play, so I decided to go back to Just Cause 2. I continued a save from a couple of years ago, and I remembered what I was doing back then. I was travelling around the island, assasinating all the colonels. First I would need to locate them, then sneak around the base without being seen, and then take them out with the sniper. Fun was had. :)

Although the game still has the annoying escalation mechanics. Sadly.
    Love me some Just Cause 2. You've got me tempted to fire it up again!

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    I tried out the Might & Magic CCG (ECCG, for electronic?), Duel of Champions. It has some interesting mechanics, like the positional combat with different rows and lines of troops, but the interface is a bit tacky and bloated. That last combined with cards that require you to keep track of 4 different resources in order to play them makes the board state quite hard to read. It doesn't seem to have been designed with computer screens in mind. Special abilities on cards in play are signalled by an icon on the card, but the icon is very small. And this is on a big screen. I can't imagine how it works out on ipad.

Anyway, apart from the eyesore, it's somewhat fun. I signed up via someone's referral link (it's f2p) so I got a bunch of extra cards to start off with. Like magic, it has the potential to ruin your wallet completely, but it looks like I'll have plenty to play around with to begin with at least.

Anyone been playing the Banner Saga? I've been interested but haven't played the single player yet (multiplayer is enjoyable).

Is the single player game worth the buy?

Sniper Elite 2 that I got for free on their give-away day. Depending on your glass half-full or half-empty attitude, I find this not half-bad or not half-good because the concept and gameplay is rather enjoyable, but my god the mechanics are shit. Very awkward movement and running and plenty of AI issues. Is 3 an improvement?

Quote Originally Posted by seshFriend View Post
    Anyone been playing the Banner Saga? I've been interested but haven't played the single player yet (multiplayer is enjoyable).

Is the single player game worth the buy?
    I'd say yes, if maybe at a bargain price. The campaign is quite short and the fights do not vary too much, which in part is due to the relatively small variety of enemy unit types. Managing supplies and such can be a bit annoying, not because of overly complicated mechanisms but because the frequent story events sometimes result in quite unforseeable consequences (just like in real life, I guess). I enjoyed the time I've spent with the game nevertheless. Prepare to see some of your favourite characters getting offed. ;)

Network Hub
    I've been playing 8h of Rocksmith 2014 now, and it's a lot of fun. I started playing guitar years ago, but never took lessons but learned from online tutorials. So I was already doing alright. RS is a nice way to learn songs, especially the more intricate things you don't really hear by just listening to them.

I wouldn't want to have started playing with RS though. It teaches you to play a song one certain way. That's nice for a start, but everyone is different, and sometimes you'd play a note or chord elsewhere on the neck, because it's easier for you. That's where the game falls flat on it's face, but at least you can do it, so it doesn't punish you for it. Nonetheless, if you're aware of it, learn your way around the neck and about chord inversions and so on, it can be a great tool and lots of fun.

On the technical side, I have very little problems. It works pretty well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Playing Transistor. Wow, wish I hadn't bought it. The combat system is incredibly frustrating! It's a gorgeous game with some really lovely ideas, but ... jeez.

When you "die" you lose access to your abilities, making it not only harder but less interesting to proceed. This is awful. It punishes experimentation even as it rewards you for experimentation by offering new story tidbits; punishes becasue I have little impetus to try new things that might get me killed if getting (effectively 33%) killed means I can't practice said new things for a while. Great!

Further the directionality is wonky. It's difficult to aim attacks where I want them to be aimed both in real-time and in turn-based mode, I find.

I'll keep at it, but I'm really disappointed. I should have known going in--I had every warning but I wanted it to be better and it was super pretty and I loved Bastion. :\ Oh well.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0