Page 1167 of 1383 FirstFirst ... 16766710671117115711651166116711681169117712171267 ... LastLast
Results 23,321 to 23,340 of 27644
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Getting back to Hexcells - if I wanted puzzles on paper, I'd buy those and the fact I cannot save puzzles is just - I mean what the fuck, it's 2014 isn't it?
    I think if it were possible to save mid-puzzle I'd buy Plus and Infinite, it would literally solve all my problems with the game. I'm sure the concern is that people would just "save-scum" through the puzzles, but that's really their loss.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    An autosave would remove save-scumming but it hardly matters anyway when a valid way-to-win is to click-like-mad until the puzzle is done with loads of errors - screenshot it - restart and 'win'? :)

I left Plus on all day today whilst I found the time to complete ONE puzzle - that's just silly ;0

Activated Node
    CS:GO takes up the majority of my free gaming time these days. Other than that I go through small doses of Team Fortress, Day of Defeat:Source, and Warframe.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus TheDreamlord's Avatar
    I am about to start The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II which is still 50% off at gamersgate and i wanted to ask if anyone has played it and if it's worth reinstalling 1 to take my char up to level 30 from its current 29 in order to import him and start II with him. Any significant benefits? Any problems starting a brand new char from level 1?

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I think if it were possible to save mid-puzzle I'd buy Plus and Infinite, it would literally solve all my problems with the game. I'm sure the concern is that people would just "save-scum" through the puzzles, but that's really their loss.
    That's now a feature of Infinite, I'm not sure whether it's in Plus, though. It's just auto-saving, it doesn't let you go back to previous board states except to fully restart.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I played through Hexcells and mostly enjoyed it - but Hexcells Plus kinda bummed-me-out.

It turns-up the difficulty quite a bit - it adds the need to 'look ahead' or to 'evaluate possible outcomes' to the extent that I've actually screenshotted puzzles to put them into a graphics editor so I can "draw on them" - one puzzle was impossible to solve without doing this (as there were 6 valid solutions to the clues and it's only when you see those that you realise one cell didn't appear in ANY of them - clearing it gave you the clue you need to pick the 'right' solution)
    Wow, that's pretty dedicated, and it kind of sounds like the same effort I went through in one of them (documented in a previous post here somewhere) that turned out to be logically sound but completely unnecessary as I had overlooked a much simpler way to unlock the clues needed to progress. So I have to say that I don't believe you when you say it was impossible to solve otherwise, because I've often thought that myself and then proved me wrong later. But they do often require deductions involving multiple clues.
    Last edited by LTK; 02-09-2014 at 08:28 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's possible someone smarter than me would have seen the one cell which didn't form part of any solution and was thus the key to finishing it - but holding 6 permutations of 5 (out of 10) cells is quite a task!!

The problem with Hexcells is that if you make a decision and it's wrong, you just got handed a massive clue and the puzzle is spoiled from thereon-in. Not really much you can do to fix that (you could allow the user to 'make mistakes' with blue cell selections I suppose but that might drive people insane ;0

I find myself wondering if there's not a game in allowing people to 'right click' blue cells and get a clue instead of a blue but I also get a headache thinking about that ;0

You can correct yourself if you make a wrong decision, even if you can't correct the game. I didn't get 100% on every puzzle in Hexcells and Plus but I did make sure to reason around any extra information that I gained from making a mistake, instead of using it to find more correct moves. It also happens often that I make a valid move based on flawed logic but I only realize afterwards, so I decide to ignore the hex that I just revealed and find another way to come to the same conclusion. I had to do that on 4-5 in Infinite.

I think I definitely prefer this system to one where you only find out you went wrong twenty moves after your first mistake and then have to backtrack to wherever that was.

I usually go the hard route, restarting everytime I make a mistake. The additional information contained in the feedback of having made a mistake is usually long lost on me when I reach that part of the puzzle again, but if not I can still decide to make only logical conclusions without using that knowledge.

I have also found that I never have to think more than one or two moves ahead. In that aspect I try to reason as lazily as possible, and it usually is quite simple. No n-Permutations needed.

I have 100%ed the first two games a few times, something I don't usually do, but it somehow came naturally, because the games are so focused. The third one is no exception, but I guess the infinite mode will put an end to that completion rate. loving the classic levels so far.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamlord View Post
    I am about to start The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II which is still 50% off at gamersgate and i wanted to ask if anyone has played it and if it's worth reinstalling 1 to take my char up to level 30 from its current 29 in order to import him and start II with him. Any significant benefits? Any problems starting a brand new char from level 1?
    From my experience it takes a few minutes to level a character from 29 to 30 and I reached 60 before the end.
    Don't know how it works if you start from level 1, but I think there is an option to start a new character from level 30.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Thank you! I might just reinstall 1 then.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Hexcells is the Deus Ex of puzzle games, in that whenever I read or hear people talking about it I instantly want to play it. The difference with Hexcells, though, is that I actually do play it instead of remembering that I have to start Deus Ex all over again with all the combat ability of a toddler. Today I spent quite some time staring at the Hexcells Plus one that looks a bit like a snake. I got maybe three fifths of the way around this snake and misclicked. I raged. I took a screenshot. I will be back.

Finished the T2 main campaign \o/ (finally I've finished a game!! I know, I know! so please don't remind me about Mapworks and NG+)

The Netherlord was not too hard but in the heat of the battle I couldn't spot any telltale for that blocks-falling-from-the-sky attack, which led to more than a few avoidable deaths. Having bots was real handy as I was very busy avoiding the attacks to spend a lot of time actually shooting the thing.

I'm feeling a little out of steam now, which was not the case with the original Torchlight, so we'll see.
    Rock, Paper, Shotgonne - Come join us. We have LOOT!
    The Onward March of Bundles
    - filling your backlog since 1911
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    I just finished Heroine's Quest! I was about to start the Quest for Glory series for the first time e'er, and then realized "Oh wait I still have the last little bit of Heroine's Quest to finish" and (overcoming my natural tendency to leave every game just before the last boss so that they never have to be over) I totally charged back in there, checked a guide to remind myself what in the world I'd been in the middle of all those months ago, and chopped up a frost giant. Good game, but one that would have defeated me utterly if I hadn't been armed with a walkthrough much of the time. =P
    The Secret of Gargoyle Manor, a browser point-and-click adventure about retrieving your lost hat whatever the cost, is something you could play!

Network Hub
    Playing Hexcells Infinite and it's going well. I don't remember a puzzle in one of the previous games that was as difficult as trjp says. I certainly never needed to hold that many combinations in my head. What did happen to me was that I would miss a clue and the puzzle would seem unsolvable.

If anyone playing Hexcells Infinite knows how to get further than 8 cells into level 5-1, please drop me a hint.

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    If anyone playing Hexcells Infinite knows how to get further than 8 cells into level 5-1, please drop me a hint.
    I posted a hint here

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've just finished TWD S2E3 (playing one episode a day). Overall it was good. They could have fleshed out the sneaking bits more. That's the only time I felt kind of left out, like the game playing itself.

Also, what's with the list of pets in the credit roll every time? What a self-obsessed crap. So you have a pet? Great. And?

Oh BTW I've also begun the first Van Helsing: it's surprisingly cute (for whatever reason it runs sluggishly compared to T2 or PoE), but either selecting the hard difficulty or an Arcane Mechanic has been a misstep: my attack feels uberwimpy, like POW eyes follow the slow projectile drawing an arched trajectory in the sky <pssst! ...boom> after the first hub I'm finding myself dying impressively often. My T2 engineer also lacked some punch when starting out but not this much.

I understand this character is supposed to keep his distance and leave the dirty work to minions, and I've played Alchemist in T1, but even quaffing potions, using tricks and rage as often as I can, I'm getting overwhelmed a bit too easily. Might restart on normal with a Hunter.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Made it to the Eternal Laboratory on Path of Exile. Okay, what's this four-part tile do? Apex of Sacrifice? Sounds fun - I... oh, crap, this is the end-game dungeon for the first expansion, isn't it? (Thirty seconds later.) Yeah, not doing that with this character ever again. Seeing all of the monsters steadily regenerating health faster than my minions could chip it away was one of the most dispiriting things I've ever seen in a videogame. Also, "fully clear an end-game map"? Maybe if they weren't as big as A VERY BIG THING and full of random uniques who can pound me into the floor in a split second. At least I got a level out of it.

Still not terribly impressed with the second expansion. Found the barbarian Master, tried his introductory quest, died instantly. Yay! An hour of play down the drain! Piss off. Found the ranger Master, finished her intro, but now she's sitting in the Forest hub being mysterious along with the witch. Trudged wearily through three forest maps in a row and saw neither hide nor hair of her. Yeah, I think I'm going back to ignoring these guys. :(

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Oh BTW I've also begun the first Van Helsing: it's surprisingly cute (for whatever reason it runs sluggishly compared to T2 or PoE), but either selecting the hard difficulty or an Arcane Mechanic has been a misstep
    Van Helsing is much tougher than Torchlight II (which was pathetically easy on Normal and rarely challenging on Veteran). Resign yourself to doing a lot of running away if you're playing the default class (or the only class, if you didn't get the DLC). EDIT: Sorry, very tired, please excuse; you're on one of the extra classes. It's probably still tricky. Perhaps more so.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 03-09-2014 at 10:33 PM.
    Smashwords (my stories) | Steam | Twitter | Wattpad (my stories)

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Van Helsing is much tougher than Torchlight II (which was pathetically easy on Normal and rarely challenging on Veteran). Resign yourself to doing a lot of running away if you're playing the default class (or the only class, if you didn't get the DLC). EDIT: Sorry, very tired, please excuse; you're on one of the extra classes. It's probably still tricky. Perhaps more so.
    Can't say Veteran was terribly hard but most bosses and some of the champions were tough enough to keep me seriously busy for a while.

Anyway, I wasn't expecting the extra classes to be DLC - that might explain why they are more challenging. I'll try experimenting a little, see how it plays out - I was planning to do the same (classes only really) for T2, so they'll have to share time.

I like that Van Helsing has a more fleshed out narration compared to T2 (or PoE), and so far the jokes are not getting on my nerves or making me roll my eyes as it seemed the case for reviewers.

There's nothing especially clever or fun, but it has a lighter, not-really-taking-itself-seriously tone which reminds me of that silliness that used to surface from time to time while playing tabletop RPGs (also, adventure games)