Page 1168 of 1205 FirstFirst ... 168668106811181158116611671168116911701178 ... LastLast
Results 23,341 to 23,360 of 24081
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Van Helsing is much tougher than Torchlight II (which was pathetically easy on Normal and rarely challenging on Veteran). Resign yourself to doing a lot of running away if you're playing the default class (or the only class, if you didn't get the DLC). EDIT: Sorry, very tired, please excuse; you're on one of the extra classes. It's probably still tricky. Perhaps more so.
    Can't say Veteran was terribly hard but most bosses and some of the champions were tough enough to keep me seriously busy for a while.

Anyway, I wasn't expecting the extra classes to be DLC - that might explain why they are more challenging. I'll try experimenting a little, see how it plays out - I was planning to do the same (classes only really) for T2, so they'll have to share time.

I like that Van Helsing has a more fleshed out narration compared to T2 (or PoE), and so far the jokes are not getting on my nerves or making me roll my eyes as it seemed the case for reviewers.

There's nothing especially clever or fun, but it has a lighter, not-really-taking-itself-seriously tone which reminds me of that silliness that used to surface from time to time while playing tabletop RPGs (also, adventure games)
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Made it to the Eternal Laboratory on Path of Exile. Okay, what's this four-part tile do? Apex of Sacrifice? Sounds fun - I... oh, crap, this is the end-game dungeon for the first expansion, isn't it? (Thirty seconds later.) Yeah, not doing that with this character ever again. Seeing all of the monsters steadily regenerating health faster than my minions could chip it away was one of the most dispiriting things I've ever seen in a videogame. Also, "fully clear an end-game map"? Maybe if they weren't as big as A VERY BIG THING and full of random uniques who can pound me into the floor in a split second. At least I got a level out of it.

Still not terribly impressed with the second expansion. Found the barbarian Master, tried his introductory quest, died instantly. Yay! An hour of play down the drain! Piss off. Found the ranger Master, finished her intro, but now she's sitting in the Forest hub being mysterious along with the witch. Trudged wearily through three forest maps in a row and saw neither hide nor hair of her. Yeah, I think I'm going back to ignoring these guys. :(
    Regarding maps: you pretty much tried the hardest content there is for PoE right off the bat :) You usually only place one vaal fragment (or one map) in the machine, and run that map (most of them aren't very large, really). Apex of Sacrifice is crazy, I have more than 1k hours logged on PoE and I have never tried it :)

Regarding masters: like almost everything in PoE, they appear randomly. You meet them in a certain order (2 per act, and the 7th one in maps), but after that every area you start has a chance of having a master. And yes, some of their quests are overtuned a bit, but most of them should be doable.

And since you said "one hour of play down the drain", two things about this: first, whenever you're about to try something that could be difficult and/or very unknown, drop a portal first! Second, areas in PoE only reset after 10-15 minutes, so even if you die without a portal or a waypoint nearby there's usually time to run back to where you were (it's actually surprisingly easy to run through a zone and ignore the monsters, at least up to a point!)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Apex of Sacrifice was just me messing around: I didn't realise what the map fragments did, but once I'd slapped them in the machine I did consciously think "Ah, whatever, YOLO!!1!1!1!1!!11". No-one to blame but myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    Regarding masters: like almost everything in PoE, they appear randomly. You meet them in a certain order (2 per act, and the 7th one in maps), but after that every area you start has a chance of having a master. And yes, some of their quests are overtuned a bit, but most of them should be doable.

And since you said "one hour of play down the drain", two things about this: first, whenever you're about to try something that could be difficult and/or very unknown, drop a portal first! Second, areas in PoE only reset after 10-15 minutes, so even if you die without a portal or a waypoint nearby there's usually time to run back to where you were (it's actually surprisingly easy to run through a zone and ignore the monsters, at least up to a point!)
    I'm not really complaining so much about masters' quests killing me off - I did read a little about them on the official forums and I know they seem to be fairly build-specific, which is not something I'm good at. My witch is a complete glass cannon, minion-centric with intelligence boosted and almost nothing else (I don't even have a regular left-click attack equipped, it's a Vaal skill) - I can just about handle Merciless (slowly progressing through Act 3 at the moment) but I do die every now and then, so when that first quest basically starts dropping rocks on my head straight away, I go down in a couple of seconds. Which is fair enough to some degree! It's just annoying that's part of my very limited exposure to the expansion's content so far.

And one hour of play down the drain - you misunderstand. I'm on Merciless, I meant 10% of my XP bar (or whatever it amounts to), not my progress through the map. ;) Portals are no help.

Ah, apologies. I assumed you were new to the game, my mistake.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    Ah, apologies. I assumed you were new to the game, my mistake.
    No worries! I happily concede I've clearly got nothing on you, or several people on this forum. :)

Well, bought and finished Hexcells in a matter of hours.
    Lovely game

No worries! I happily concede I've clearly got nothing on you, or several people on this forum. :)
    True, it does take a long time to get your character to look as silly as this. Even the cat is embarrassed!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Been playing FEAR 3 on the hardest difficulty because otherwise it feels unsporting. See in FEAR 3 your real opponent is your coop partner. The soldiers, robots and assorted monstrosities are actually just targets in a well decorated duck shoot. Playing it single player feels unsporting.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Been playing FEAR 3
    It's called F3AR. Say it. SAY IT!

Free-Ar is my preferred pronunciation.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Final Fantasy XIV. Lots and lots of Final Fantasy XIV. It really got it's hooks into me this time.

Does anyone know if there's an RPS guild for the game in any server?

Oh man fear online is a thing and it's...:l
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    Wasn't it a thing for a while? Is it out on Steam now or has it only just been released?

But I can imagine what you mean.

Wow, I forgot about this. The sad thing is, the "online" game completely ignores the genius of Paxton Fettel and the Spectres in FEAR 3 and looks derivative of fear 1.

Point man rounds a corner with a shotgun and assault rifle, he's in close quarters and equips the shotgun. You round a corner to find a shotgun soldier exposed with no cover facing you at a moderate range you have 3 options.
    • Stand and fire, take moderate damage and regenerate shortly, you'll need an exit plan if you get rushed from multiple angles after going loud, but it reserves your slowmo for counter attacks.
    • Drop back and coversnipe, you will very quickly regenerate any splash you take and eliminate the opponent without exposing yourself and you'll reserve slowmo, risk of flanking is considerable.
    • You tap slowmo and execute the opponent, this is the most dynamic option and allows you to easily reposition and equally loses you no health.

Or to be brief,
    • Shoot
    • Shoot
    • Shoot

Paxton Fettel is in the same scenario, as a matter of reflex you hold right click and draw the exposed and alone opponent into the air rendering him harmless, what next?
    • Do you close towards him and perform a one hit kill melee attack while the opponent is raised, this allows you to aggressively reposition and doesn't drain your "possession bar" which like slowmo is an excellent get out of jail card, incidentally, your opponent cannot hurt you.
    • Do you slip backwards and get into a drawn out projectile fight, this will leave you eventually injured but hard to flank and with a fully charged bar.
    • Do you possess the opponent, you gain the equipment set and meat shell of the soldier and are now equipped with a shotgun in a close quarters area and a free grenade. Either way the opponent is no more you are indeed armoured by the soldiers health *and* unharmed.

Or to be brief,
    • Squash
    • Shoot
    • Wear

Consequently each fight is far more interesting depressingly, playing as Paxton requires either coop with a poor friend playing pointy man or to be replaying the campaign, somebody has to pay the price for your fun.

Paxton doesn't really require aiming on heads, you are sprightly and running about fleeing and ambushing instead of sitting behind cover waiting for slowmo to regenerate or someone stupid enough to flank you while you use a shotgun. Pointyman see's opposing snipers as someone to avoid, Paxton see's an opportunity, so he's a cannibal socio-path, at least he believes in giving his opponents a chance to be on his side?
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 04-09-2014 at 09:40 PM.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    Today's the last day of my degree, so I'm looking forward to hitting the Hellgate beta tomorrow.
    Otherwise, the usual hourly sessions of TF2 or L4D2.
    There is something really comforting about playing a game like TF2 or L4D2 they are just so polished and the gameplay is really solid. I love to play games like that to balance out playing some of the early release/beta stuff.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Honestly I was insanely jealous when I saw how fucking awesome Point Man's slide tackle is.

Then I realized that the possessed soldiers could do it too, laughed and had more fun at my friend's expense.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Well, bought and finished Hexcells in a matter of hours.
    Lovely game
    Likewise, but I didn't find it quite so lovely. The audio and visual design were superb but the actual play wasn't very challenging for me and the only misses I ever got were because my brain straight up didn't register the count properly and that rarely.

Oh well. It was very aesthetically pleasing and very relaxing.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardust’s Music Sounds Better With You. There’s lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context that’s cheating -bull0

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Wow, I forgot about this. The sad thing is, the "online" game completely ignores the genius of Paxton Fettel and the Spectres in FEAR 3 and looks derivative of fear 1.

Point man rounds a corner with a shotgun and assault rifle, he's in close quarters and equips the shotgun. You round a corner to find a shotgun soldier exposed with no cover facing you at a moderate range you have 3 options.
    • Stand and fire, take moderate damage and regenerate shortly, you'll need an exit plan if you get rushed from multiple angles after going loud, but it reserves your slowmo for counter attacks.
    • Drop back and coversnipe, you will very quickly regenerate any splash you take and eliminate the opponent without exposing yourself and you'll reserve slowmo, risk of flanking is considerable.
    • You tap slowmo and execute the opponent, this is the most dynamic option and allows you to easily reposition and equally loses you no health.

Or to be brief,
    • Shoot
    • Shoot
    • Shoot

Paxton Fettel is in the same scenario, as a matter of reflex you hold right click and draw the exposed and alone opponent into the air rendering him harmless, what next?
    • Do you close towards him and perform a one hit kill melee attack while the opponent is raised, this allows you to aggressively reposition and doesn't drain your "possession bar" which like slowmo is an excellent get out of jail card, incidentally, your opponent cannot hurt you.
    • Do you slip backwards and get into a drawn out projectile fight, this will leave you eventually injured but hard to flank and with a fully charged bar.
    • Do you possess the opponent, you gain the equipment set and meat shell of the soldier and are now equipped with a shotgun in a close quarters area and a free grenade. Either way the opponent is no more you are indeed armoured by the soldiers health *and* unharmed.

Or to be brief,
    • Squash
    • Shoot
    • Wear

Consequently each fight is far more interesting depressingly, playing as Paxton requires either coop with a poor friend playing pointy man or to be replaying the campaign, somebody has to pay the price for your fun.

Paxton doesn't really require aiming on heads, you are sprightly and running about fleeing and ambushing instead of sitting behind cover waiting for slowmo to regenerate or someone stupid enough to flank you while you use a shotgun. Pointyman see's opposing snipers as someone to avoid, Paxton see's an opportunity, so he's a cannibal socio-path, at least he believes in giving his opponents a chance to be on his side?

Haven't played f3ar but I assume slowmo still doubles weapon's rof for some reason. And no mod support for co op warfare or something like fearcombat (not recommending though)

Oh and does the pistol still turn into a sniper one while on ironsights?
    Last edited by Wenz; 05-09-2014 at 09:30 AM.
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Okay, my witch is doing better at Path of Exile (on Merciless) than I thought: Piety went down in less than a minute with me continually dropping minions on her - and I mean continually, I was holding down the key. Couldn't stop her getting to her powered-up forms but she was far too busy fending off my little army to get to me (dropped a Vaal Summon Skeletons on her, too, I swear you'd have to pay me to give that gem up). The one annoying thing was I had two of her cultists raised as spectres and it's nice the way they fling debuffs everywhere, but they kept raising zombies for me, too, and I swear their zombies didn't fit with my build - they should have been regenerating their health but they weren't. :( Oh, well. Plenty more where they came from, etc.

Haven't played f3ar but I assume slowmo still doubles weapon's rof for some reason. [...]

Oh and does the pistol still turn into a sniper one while on ironsights?
    Slowmo doesn't double RoF, but it does seem to tighten the fire cone. Crash zoom from pistols, indeed all weapons outside of sniper rifles hardly zoom at all (probably shifting down to 75% of the usual visible area)

Your first bullet is magically accurate and unless you tap pretty fast every bullet is the first on a pistol.