Page 16 of 1051 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826661165161016 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I've been playing some more assassins creed and the bought in the sale "tiny bang story" I'm expecting an awesome composite dream tonight.

Yeah, there is something a little insidious about the 'play4free' model - especially as rare loot drops will be sitting in your inventory in AofE, but you wont be able to use 'em until you go premium. But thing is, who'd buy another AoE? At least this title has breathed new life into a franchise that was all but dead. As long as they don't take the $20 price and simply stick a in front of it, I'll be happy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I'm waiting for LOTRO to come onto Steam. I've heard good things about it. In a contradictory vein, I'd like Star Trek Online to go FTP. I like ships, but I don't want to get EVE. That makes sense, right? But as far as FTP goes, I don't have a problem so long as content is not locked out (expansions notwithstanding, to a degree). Something like Spiral Knights works quite well - the amount you can do is limited, to an extent, but you can still 'do' everything. Fine with me. Anyhow.

So just completed F.E.A.R: Extraction Point. Not as good as the base game, I have to say. There were far too many times where I was just getting killed and I had no idea, as if these enemies appeared out of nowhere behind pillars. Ironically, I also felt it dragged longer at times than the base game. I'll be happy if I never see another underground station in a game again soon. Also, the mini-gun heavies are bastards, all of them. Of the new weapons to the expansion, I used one for about 20 seconds. Clearly my strategy of shotgun, long range, heavy weapon is just too much.

I really wish it was just a Matrix game. The set-up is perfect. The slow-mo, crumbling scenery. The plot is still rubbish, albeit the atmospheric effects are pretty cool; although it only happened once, looking at one corridor then turning around and being in another without any loading times I find pretty impressive. They over-play the scares though. They're good at the accidentals, like "Did I just see that?" and there's a few moments where you swear you see something in the corner of the eye, but the rest of the time they purposefully set it up so you have to be completely facing the wrong way as they point-blank go "Look, spooky stuff!" to miss a lot. The music, which I'm sure they think adds to it, just reinforces the fact it's a game.

Regardless, I'll be moving onto Perseus Mandate tomorrow. We'll aim for F.E.A.R 2 done by the end of the weekend, at which point my new router will hopefully be online.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 23-06-2011 at 01:34 AM.

Network Hub
    Completed Assassin's Creed 2 yesterday. Great stuff, but I remain to be convinced by the ending. I didn't hate it, and I can see why it had to happen, but I found it a little jarring. Still playing Terraria, got me a nice full set of Meteoric armour and a funky space gun now. Just need to find some underground shrooms to stock back up on healing potions now that Eater of Worlds has been made tougher.

Speaking of endings i finished Braid and Machinarium yesterday, two beautiful little indie games (visually and mechanically) but one ends brilliantly and the other just seemed to cut off in mid flow, both great games though i thought.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable View Post
    Speaking of endings i finished Braid and Machinarium yesterday, two beautiful little indie games (visually and mechanically) but one ends brilliantly and the other just seemed to cut off in mid flow, both great games though i thought.

I'm unsure which one cuts off mid-stride? I'm guessing it's Machinarium since Braid has quite a long ending.

sorry yea machinarium i wasn't purposely trying to be obscure, honest. I was just expecting a big finale from machinarium and felt it sort of fizzled out instead no real resolution of what was going on but maybe that's just me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I have ambitious plans to play through the original Fallout again, finally play through Shadows of Chernobyl and on to the other STALKER games, and finally properly learn how to play AGEOD titles this summer.

At the moment, though, I seem to be spending all my game time playing Six Gun Saga and Spectromancer. Go figure.

Bad Company 2, with BC2:Vietnam on occasion. Got the Battlefield vibes going on, and sadly got driver problems with Battlefield 2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The first 90 minutes of DNF. It's a weird game. And it's better than Crysis 2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    So, after playing ass of creeds for a while I unlocked "shove" and then proceed to spend twenty minutes pushing people to their deaths.

Also pointless assassinations on guards... I also got chased over a river by a templar, he fell in and died. "!!!" I said.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I have ambitious plans to play through the original Fallout again, finally play through Shadows of Chernobyl and on to the other STALKER games, and finally properly learn how to play AGEOD titles this summer.

At the moment, though, I seem to be spending all my game time playing Six Gun Saga and Spectromancer. Go figure.
    And now I'm playing Crysis. I make no sense. Ah well, at least it was one on the "to play" pile. I'd started it before but found "normal" a touch too easy, so I've started a play through on hard with a few tweaks (suit regen is still on normal, Koreans actually speak Korean etc). I'm having a blast so far.

I started Crysis on the hardest difficulty then turned it down to Hard. Seems to be a really nice level of difficulty and fun. I thought the hardest was just a bit too punishing.

Obscure Node
    I got Terraria last week and have put about 4-5 hours into it. It's fun, but it hasn't quite grabbed me yet. I'll continue to play it every now and again to see if it does grab me. I also decided to dust off my joystick and got Il-2 Sturmovik: 1946 last night. So far I've flown 1 mission and shot down 1 fighter. That was more satisfying than I'd like to admit, since I haven't played a serious flight sim since ~ 2002 (MS Combat Flight Simulator 2).

Network Hub
    Vampire Bloodlines! With the Clan Quest Mod, which apparently adds lots of things. Then again I probably won't realise whats new- the last time I played it was a year after release when I got it cheap, couldn't finish it (some impossible fight near the end I think/a broken build), and on reinstall a while later the DVD was caput. Just repurchased on Steam for an extortionate 15 quid, but we'll see if its worth it or not.

Also it's weird that I did the character questionairre at the beginning and got a clan starter. Is this progress?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've been playing Shogun 2 mostly, after finishing Witcher 2 and Alice: Madness Returns, both of which I found really enjoyable, save for an irksome segment of the Witcher where basically big irritating crowds of necrophages turned up in enclosed spaces, spawning all around me, and basically stunlocked me. It seems silly that the game would put me in that position but I suspect I probably ought to have invested more in Quen for fights like that.

Shogun 2 is good but continues the grand total war tradition of having enemies that spawn armies from their pits of infinite money. This is very irksome because the early game seems to starve you of income if you're playing say, the Uesugi, whilst your one-province neighbours can summon full stacks at will.

Men Of War, again! Sucked in by this DLC malarky.

F.E.A.R. - Perseus Mandate complete. I knocked down the difficulty to normal so I could be a bit more absurd with my approach. Still only had a few chances to try out the different melee attacks, which was a shame, but jumping kicking 3 people is 3 more than none. It's better paced than the first expansion and probably than the base game. An abundance of supplies though didn't really make it too difficult, regardless of the difficulty I was on, set-pieces were just littered with med packs or armour and various weapon supplies. Again, the new weapons failed to really impress, although the Lightning Gun was pretty fun as a heavy weapon, but no better or worse than the other heavy weapons available.

I did love the illusion twists and manipulation of the corridors; one cool segment had the part of the room you were in rotating (although not you) until you advanced. Not as many accidental glances, just more obvious HERE IS BLOOD, BE SCARED NOW! I'm not entirely sure what the Perseus Mandate is, although I have a fleeting idea, I think. I also liked how the game tied in to the base game and first xpac time-wise. There were a few things plot-wise I didn't quite understand, but hey ho, the plot's still unsurprisingly poor but the game is generally fun to play, if not a little draggy. I'll start on F.E.A.R. 2 tomorrow.

The FEAR collection still seems to be on sale on Steam. It's fun. Not perfect, but I've definitely spent a tenner on a hell of a lot of worse stuff.

I just started MtG 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
    I just started MtG 2012
    I'd be very interested in hearing how/whether that one's different than MtG 2011.