Page 1055 of 1055 FirstFirst ... 5555595510051045105310541055
Results 21,081 to 21,089 of 21089
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Alternating between planning, planning, planning, getting put off by all the planning and hypothetical action in KSP, and running around shooting everything (sometimes literally, thanks Mallcrasher) with no planning at all in Payday 2.

I recently respecced my ghost build into an enforcer build, so I have a lot of shotgun damage buffs now. I also have the ability to put down an ammo bag and fire continuously without using any ammo, I can do this twice. I also have an automatic shotgun, so for a total of 20 seconds in each game I can run around with a reasonably accurate LMG spitting 12-gauge buckshot at everything, and that's without certain mods that increase damage so it'll get better when I find the right bits. The double barrelled shotgun fires a lot faster, of course, but with more spread and recoil so it's not as useful. I struggle to just hit 'bad guys' with the pump action shotguns because of the spread so I imagine civilian deaths are going to skyrocket because of this ridiculousness.

Network Hub
    Yeah, the voice acting is good enough so that I seldom boot the old DOS version (only on Scumm when playing on the tablet)

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Working some on my backlog today.

I started up Gemini Rue and quickly got fed up with the strange graphics limitations* and broken mouse movement. The game seems interesting to me, but I have too many games and too little time to battle a game that doesn't seem to want to be played, from a technical standpoint.

* The resolution options were extremely limited. I could play in a miniscule window, or in a larger window with AA on (which was required for upscaling for some reason). Which made everything blurry, to nobody's great surprise.

I then popped open Capsized, which was moderately enjoyable until frustrating level design and daft checkpoints turned me off of it.

Then I had my progress thwarted by Red Orchestra 2 being free, so I played that for a while. It's pretty good.

Last week, I tried Rochard, which was ok, but in the end I don't really want to play platformers anymore, unless they're something really special.

So that's 4 -1 in "me vs backlog". The adventure continues.

I'm not counting Gravity Bone as a backlog entry since it's free (yeah I realize that's a somewhat broken way to think about these thins, sue me), but I didn't get far in that either, because of repeated crashes when changing options, starting new game, etc. It really does seems interesting, but like GR, it tested my patience too much.
    Last edited by postinternetsyndrome; Yesterday at 04:57 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Try hitting "F10."
    i did? i know how to change versions.

Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    I started up Gemini Rue and quickly got fed up with the strange graphics limitations* and broken mouse movement. The game seems interesting to me, but I have too many games and too little time to battle a game that doesn't seem to want to be played, from a technical standpoint.
    It's just a game that was created with an older version of AGS, compared to most other Wadjet published games, and that is because it's basically just older and it uses a lot of plugins. Older engines had lots of trouble with Steam, it's already an achievement that it works that well, upgrading an older game to a newer engine is a lot of work and resources are pretty limited (Wadjet has other stuff to work on and last time I heard Joshua Nuernberger i.e. the author had put aside game development for the time being to focus on his studies at JPL)

Anyway, if you're willing to give it another try further along the way, you'll have to pick nearest-neighbor to avoid blurred pixelart. 4x (i.e. 1280x800) is the highest supported resolution (AA or NN, regardless), so if you have a 1080p display and that's too small for your tastes, you'll need to go full screen.

In that case, make sure you instruct your graphics driver to handle the scaling - try to minimize alt-tabbing and usage of the Steam overlay (or even disable that altogether).
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

That's Alan Wake and its DLC done.
    It was flawed but still an enjoyable ride. I'll leave American Nightmare for the future now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I have just discovered two things about Torchlight 2 that it's taken me far too long to notice.

1. The starting ability, Magma Spear, is actually surprisingly good! I never thought it was that good before because I used it as a single target ability. If, however, you actually read the bloody description, the attack pierces enemies in a line. This...makes the ability go from "Pretty crappy" to "Actually pretty neat!" with the right set-up. What is the right set-up, you ask?

How do you like your skeletons and zombies? I like them kebab style, neatly burned in a line

2. I've worked out why Prismatic Bolts are so good. Now, for anyone who doesn't play Torchlight 2, Prismatic Bolts may the most broken ability in the game, and it's of the first abilities available to the Embermage. The move fires five projectiles, each of which does all four elements of damage, as well as having a chance of inducing each of the status effects of said elements, albeit at low levels the status effects are very, very unlikely to happen. Anyhow, this ability is great as it works as both group and solo target damage (multiple bolts can strike one target if there is only one target to hit). In addition, should an enemy be resistant to one of the types of elements, it only reduces the damage of that element, the other three elements of damage still hit for full force.

The other thing is that to try and balance it, it's the only starter ability for the Embermage which isn't based on weapon damage per second (in fact, many abilities in the game use this to base skill/spell damage on, which makes a lot of sense as it means in theory every spell scales no matter what part of the game you're in). This means that early on, Prismatic Bolts should, in theory again, do little damage. Except that's not quite true. The main stat for the Embermage boosts magic damage and early game you can quite confidently dump your points into it. This immediately reduces the impact of a low base damage.

The other two starter abilities, Magma Spear (mentioned above) and Ice Bolts, both rely on weapon dps which, depending on what drops for you, you may find yourself stagnating on, even if as you put points into certain spells, the base damage calculation is increased. It also doesn't help in Ice Bolts cases that the damage can feel quite pitiful and is easily the weakest early game spell for the Embermage. Whilst both spells hit multiple enemies, Ice Bolts acts as more of a debuff in terms of slowing down enemy movement and attack, but you're still expending quite a bit of mana to actually do damage. To make it absolutely worse, a lot of the enemies in the second half of act 1, where the game starts to actually get difficult and you can start noticing a gap between your items and the enemies around, are actually resistant to ice. Oops.

So there you go. Also, my ice mage died. The final open area of Act 1 is proving to be a death zone for my hardcore characters, given that two of the three dead ones have died there thus far. My new hardcore character is a fire mage because screw it at this point, I just want to watch things burn.
    Last edited by The JG Man; Today at 12:54 AM.