Page 10 of 1259 FirstFirst ... 8910111220601105101010 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    ugh. that does not sound good...

i remember the time i had to use cpukiller to stress my cpu to 90% so i could get past a certain point in grim fandango. that was an immersion breaking moment.

it wasn't a fun part of the game but its not that difficult a problem to solve when you know what to do, but I didn't and so the frustration in my last post. I hear that it doesn't happen for everyone though so you might get lucky, if you do get stuck on a timing based puzzle there is probably a thread on the GOG forums with the details, at least thats where I found out how to fix it.

The Witcher 1 and 2, World of Tanks, Red Faction Armageddon, Terraria, and about any other new game that is on PC.

Just started Deus Ex for the first time a little while ago. It really is impressive. Really enjoying it. So far what I like best about it is that it's hard enough to make you use all of your tools (or at least you can't just default to the same approach over and over) but not so hard that I find myself doing much reloading. And they really do give you so many approaches to doing things! And characters respond to your actions! And the story is silly but also rather good.

Just reached the final level of SpaceChem, and shitttttttt it looks overwhelming. I think I'll need a lie down before I attempt it, and probably afterwards as well.

Obscure Node
    Let's see, on the PC I am of course playing The Witcher 2, Rift, Crysis 2 and the occasional bout of Dragon Age 2. On the console side of things I'm playing Red Faction Armageddon (360), Mortal Combat (PS3) and Infamous 2 with Demon's Souls still getting a bit of love here and there. I'm also really enjoying Outlander and Gatling Gears on XBLA.

Hamilton's Great Adventure. It's a actipn puzzle game and it's hair pulling sometimes because you have to restart the whole level if something goes wrong.

BrŁtal Doom. It's a mod for Skulltag/GZDoom. This makes me playing Doom on Hurt Me Plenty difficuly instead of the harder Ultra Violence. This mod features harder/faster enemies, changed weapons, A LOT of gore and blood and Mortal Kombat like fatalities if you are in Berserk mode. I like it. :)
    Last edited by sk2k; 10-06-2011 at 05:50 AM.

I'm replaying Wolfenstein (the 2009 one). I like the shooting but i wish the soldiers would shut up. At some point developers should really realize that repeating the same 2-3 lines over and over is tiresome.

@sk2k:
    Brutal Doom is a very good mod, although personally i hate the gameplay changes. Still, i liked the gore and i hope the author makes a gore-only version of it.
    ~bs~

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Din's Curse and Fallout: New Vegas with the Project Nevada mod, despite it being my first time through.

Just started Just Cause 2.

Is it just me or is this game stupidly hard on Normal difficulty? I'm literally an hour or so into the game and I've had to replay a mission about six times because I either: 1) run out of bullets, because the enemies have skin made of metal or 2) Die because my health evaporates in seconds.

I'm loathe to lower the difficulty level (it can't be changed mid-game apparently) but I think I might have to at this early stage.

Fallout 3, New Vegas
    Minecraft
    OE-cake (is it even a game?)

Network Hub
    Frozen Synapse. It's the biggest time sink of the year.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    Just started Just Cause 2.

Is it just me or is this game stupidly hard on Normal difficulty? I'm literally an hour or so into the game and I've had to replay a mission about six times because I either: 1) run out of bullets, because the enemies have skin made of metal or 2) Die because my health evaporates in seconds.

I'm loathe to lower the difficulty level (it can't be changed mid-game apparently) but I think I might have to at this early stage.
    I think the general consensus is that JC2 is better on easy, because you can forget about health and just have fun making spectacular explosions and doing sillies with the grappling hook.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    I think the general consensus is that JC2 is better on easy, because you can forget about health and just have fun making spectacular explosions and doing sillies with the grappling hook.
    I had heard that alright.

I'm just slightly concerned that if I lower the difficulty, the game will become too easy. I like a reasonable challenge in a game: if I have a choice between too hard and too easy then I'll take the trickier route.

I think part of the problem lies in the open nature of the game. This is a far cry from a cover-based shooter; in fact, there's hardly any cover at all. With enemies constantly shooting at you and nowhere to hide, your health decreases rapidly. Maybe if you had a few portable medkits or something it might alleviate the problem.

The part I'm stuck on involves being shot at whilst on a moving car, and the only cover to be found is by taking refuge whilst desperately clinging on to the front grille of the vehicle!

I'll try it on easy and if I'm finding it a breeze I'll slog through on normal.

The part I'm stuck on involves being shot at whilst on a moving car, and the only cover to be found is by taking refuge whilst desperately clinging on to the front grille of the vehicle!
    thats early on isn't it, took me twelve attempts that did. fun game, gets a bit too repetitive though so I keep it for short half an hour plays every now and again.

Thinking about which game to play in my backlog after the witcher 2 has led me to start vampire: the masquerade for the first time. I picked the Malkavian because it sounded the most fun, I am not sure if this was intentional on the part of the devs but I haven't laughed this much at a game in ages.

Also, best ingame computers ever.

If that is the bit quite near the start, I remember that was when I discovered the joy of grappling the enemy car bonnets to the road surface. Won't kill them but slows them down nicely! (spectacularly!)

I'll try it on easy and if I'm finding it a breeze I'll slog through on normal.
    It's frustrating as all hell on normal and can even get hectic on easy. No reason to play it on anything but. Walker laid this out this pretty well in his WIT, as I recall.

Edit: Yep, here we go:

I was playing on Casual. When reviewing a game itís normal to play on Normal. Thatís the setting by which a game should usually be judged. But almost immediately on Normal I was finding the game was curtailing my opportunities for fun by killing me. As troops were dispatched to deal with my naughty ways, I found that I was all too easily taken out. I restarted in Casual and found everything a great deal more fun. This isnít a stealth game, this isnít a survival action, this is a lunaticís playground. To have to play cautiously feels like a bastardisation of the point.
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010...-just-cause-2/
    Last edited by Oak; 10-06-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Activated Node
    Regarding playing Just Cause 2 on easy, i would actually even recommend a trainer for infinite ammo, cash to get any vehicle you want, when you want and unbreakable rope.
    Sure, play around without cheating but eventually you will find great joy in dragging things around with your unbreakable rope so it's totally worth it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I'd been thinking about picking up Just Cause 2 when I got Windows 7 set up, but you guys have very helpfully talked me out of it. If the only way to make the game fun is to remove any challenge and play it as a destruction sandbox, it'll be fun for about 10 minutes for me (based on past experience with such things, I'm looking at you GTA) so I'd be better off spending my money elsewhere.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I'd been thinking about picking up Just Cause 2 when I got Windows 7 set up, but you guys have very helpfully talked me out of it. If the only way to make the game fun is to remove any challenge and play it as a destruction sandbox, it'll be fun for about 10 minutes for me (based on past experience with such things, I'm looking at you GTA) so I'd be better off spending my money elsewhere.
    That was pretty much my experience of the game, Steam says 5 or so hours, most of that messing about in the sandbox.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter