Page 100 of 1257 FirstFirst ... 509098991001011021101502006001100 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 25133
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    So I decided that STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl would be a worthy follow-up to Far Cry. Here's what I've learned so far.
    -I suck at this game.
    -Even for all the fixes included in STALKER Complete, the game is still not without glitches. I've had a few crashes, seemingly random, and I get quite a few audio errors when I'm just wandering around.
    -None of the guns feel very satisfying to shoot. It's almost impossible to tell where my bullets are going, and if I don't land a headshot, it takes waaay too many hits to kill an enemy. I know it's early in the game, but so far everything involving shooting has been shit.
    I haven't yet played 'Shadow of Chernobyl', only 'Call of Pripyat', but I can say that much: The Stalker games seem to be a bit difficult to get into. I became frustrated right away after the first moments in The Zone and it took some more attempts before I felt comfortable with the game.

I say: Be unyielding (I know this must be tough after your experieces with FarCry)! It does get better after a while.

-This game absolutely nails atmosphere. The weather effects are insane
    Agreed, I was absolutely stunned the first time I experienced an emission. And then I ran like hell.

-Don't go out at night.
    But that's the time you can have the most fun (i.e. heart attacks)!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Zelda: Skyward Sword.

Oh, okay, PC stuff...

Spots of Binding of Isaac every so often, which is more fun than it should be for its price-point. In addition, splatterings of BF3. When it works, man, it's great. Spent almost an entire round in a jet being useful! Imagine that! Jets useful for more than taking out other air vehicles!
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Zelda: Skyward Sword.
    Oh cool! What are your impressions? I read that the story focuses on a love story theme. How's that?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I posted in the Skyward Sword thread about 3 hours of early impressions, but for the most part I'm enjoying it. It's got a few things I'm not overly keen on (why hello there stamina bar) but...it's Zelda, so it's good.

And yeah, it's quite obvious at times. In fact, adults might get a but more out of some of the dialogue then children would. As it goes, there's a short sequence where Zelda is SUCH a massive tease and it's played masterfully I ended up laughing a fair bit.

For the rest though, it's pretty much a Zelda game. The pacing isn't quite as bad as in Twilight Princess, but it's still not great. Ocarina of Time was great because you were thrown into the action immediately without having your hand entirely held. In fact, I still remember A Link to the Past, my first Zelda title, and how not only does it start off with action immediately, but it's done in a very cool way.

I'm nearing the first temple, so when I go back to playing it later tonight, I'll update the SS thread with thoughts and such.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    This is actually my third or fourth attempt to play STALKER. I've made it further than I ever did before, but something about the combat is still really bugging me. Honestly, I just want a sniper rifle, because real guns don't even have range as shitty as the ones in this game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    I've been playing Fable III and Batman: Arkham Asylum today.

Fable III - I'm in the last set of quests before the final one, and I've got to raise 8.5M gold to reach my target. I think I have another ~3M to go, which basically means at some point I'll have to leave the game on whilst I do stuff. I really just cannot be bothered with it, though. It's not a bad game, but the content dries up really quickly and I'm fairly sick of running back and forth for things. I've almost completed all of the collectable thingies, but the two or three (Silver keys, golden doors and books) that I need to do can't be finished until after the final quest. After that I've got the post-end game DLC pack to play through which I'm sort of looking forward to. It's honestly the only thing pushing me on to finish the game, I'll tell you that much.

Arkham Asylum - Finished the main story for the second time a short while ago, and I spent this evening just clearing up the last 32 trophies and that final chronicle. Was good for killing an hour or two, but I think I'm finally done with it. 85% Complete according to the main screen, but I just cannot be bothered with the challenges.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Been playing Magicka. Really enjoying it. A question for anyone who's played a fair bit of it - is it meant to be this hard in singleplayer? Is it because they assume you've got friends, or does it actually ramp up with more people?

Any time I'm in a fight with a fellow magick-user it's a really hard fight. Hell, even some of the fights with just mobs are really hard.
    Not complaining though, because a challenge is good. It's refreshing to find a game where the enemies are as powerful as the player-character. The enemy magick users seem to be able to use the same spells as you, and aren't afraid to brutalise you repeatedly. I wasn't prepared for it, but I like it.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Like everyone else and their cat, I've been playing Skyrim. Yesterday however, I started playing Saint's Row 2. I bought it for pennies from Gamersgate quite a few months ago, but it flat out refused to run on my PC. Since then, my PC has had a hefty upgrade, so I decided to try it out again. I'm glad I did, because it's excellent. I've never really liked any GTA game and my experiences with GTA had given me the impression that I didn't like the guns'n'cars open world genre, but it turns out I just don't like GTA. Everything about Saint's Row 2 is fun. Both the story missions and the side activities are great. At first I didn't like that the game forces you to do side activites before you can do story missions, but there's so much variety in the side activites and they're so enjoyable that it doesn't matter. I'm using the Gentlemen of the Row mod and haven't had any of the technical issues the PC port is (in)famous for.

I was only planning on buying one more game this year (Batman: AC), but I'll definitely be getting Saints Row: The Third in the coming months. And to think, it wasn't even on my radar 48hrs ago!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I'm in one of those "dabbling until something grabs me" phases. I've played a bit of Nitronic Rush (good enough to be worth money, IMO), some Bronze, some Minecraft, some EU3, and a bit of the totally brilliant Pride of Nations. I'll settle in on one or two of these in short order, I expect.

In multiplayer I've been having a lot of fun with Supreme Commander 2. I can't say as I miss the economic system from the earlier games, and the experimentals are a lot of fun. It's not a hugely deep game, but it's a consistently entertaining one.

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    Still journeying through Morrowind, making my up the trees of the Thieves guild, Morag Tong, and House Hlaalu. I'm amazed at how many quests there are, I only just made it to the master of the thieves guild, after exhausting the quests from two of the lower quest givers (dabbled in the third, but got stuck on a quest), and now he has two entirely separate quest lines; same deal with House Hlaalu and the Tong, where I'm juggling about two to three quests from each faction. My only issue is that the quests are mostly very repetitive, and devolve into "go somewhere far away and kill/talk to someone". Although Oblivion had far fewer quests, I think it did a good job of having each one be a little more involved and well crafted.

My character is a thief/assassin type (custom class called Interloper), and I've been having a surprising amount of combat success without even relying on sneak criticals. I've dumped a lot of stats into speed (at about 90 now), so as long as I don't miss (and I don't often, with an agility of about 70 and short sword skill of 90), I can continually interrupt and stun my enemies so they never have a chance to attack. Only issue I have is due to my low strength, I can easily become overburdened if a mage uses a strength destroying spell; I can counter most mages by using paralyze spells though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mechanical Aggressor View Post
    but I'll definitely be getting Saints Row: The Third in the coming months. And to think, it wasn't even on my radar 48hrs ago!
    Just be wary - it has 40 weeks of planned DLC, all the way until late next year. I would honestly suggest to wait for the GotY/Complete edition, just for the sake of ease.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    Just be wary - it has 40 weeks of planned DLC, all the way until late next year. I would honestly suggest to wait for the GotY/Complete edition, just for the sake of ease.
    Do you often find yourself waiting years after release before buying games?

I'm not criticizing that form of consumer choice, as it is your prerogative, but personally, when a cab ride is 25 bucks, waiting a full year to save a Jackson seems silly.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    Thanks, I didn't know that. I'll probably wait to see if it's just cosmetic stuff like new outfits. If it is, I'll just ignore the DLC and buy the game anyway. It looks like it has quite a lot of content anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TailSwallower View Post
    Been playing Magicka. Really enjoying it. A question for anyone who's played a fair bit of it - is it meant to be this hard in singleplayer? Is it because they assume you've got friends, or does it actually ramp up with more people?

Any time I'm in a fight with a fellow magick-user it's a really hard fight. Hell, even some of the fights with just mobs are really hard.
    Not complaining though, because a challenge is good. It's refreshing to find a game where the enemies are as powerful as the player-character. The enemy magick users seem to be able to use the same spells as you, and aren't afraid to brutalise you repeatedly. I wasn't prepared for it, but I like it.
    The game is indeed pretty hard in single player and I think that it was designed to be played in co-op. Multiplayer adds a whole dimension of gameplay and many fights are much easier if you've got someone to power a shield spell, heal you or just kill a few more enemies in a short time (not to speak of how much easier it is to deal with bursts of frustration if you run into the same wall of enemies again and again). Until recently, regular crashes combined with the inability to save progress during a level made even this an unnerving experience, but I read somewhere that an update is coming in that should allow you to save at any checkpoint.

I'd say that you should get someone to play alongside you, this way I had tons of fun with a friend.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I know I am. I am just playing first Tomb Raider game.

The biggest challenge of this game are not puzzles or fights but controls. Positioning Lara causes me some troubles and it has to be done careful otherwise I will have to repeat steps from 10min ago. I also find myself walking straight at the wall more often than I am comfortable with.

That being said I find the game quite charming. its ugly as hell but I do enjoy it.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    I'd say that you should get someone to play alongside you, this way I had tons of fun with a friend.
    Thanks for the info. I've got a couple of people on my (extremely small) Steam friends list that already own it, so I'll have to hit them up sometime.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

No.

The cab ride analogy is complete rubbish, anyway. If I wait a year for a game, what am I missing out on? Paying more for the DLC, release bugs and so forth. If I wait a year or however long, I get more content for the same price (or cheaper!) and the game will hopefully be a less buggy experience.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Saints Row: The Third

Defeinitely the most ...consistently fun game i've played this year. It pretty much improves on everything I disliked with the second game.

I do that, and quite frequently as well. If a complete / GotY edition exists and it goes on sale 2 years down the line, I know that it will most likely be a finished item with all the bugs ironed out (or ironed out to the Nth degree) plus if the game supports mods I'll more then likely have a vast trove of sillyness to delve into. Plus I may have upgraded my rig sufficiently enough to get the most out of the game in question (though this is becomeing rarer these days, and I'm glad).

In the meantime I have enough of a backlog of crap to sift through.

As Unrav said, a cab comparison aint the best. More like baking a cake. I could buy it fresh out, but with demands to get stuff out on time these days it may be half baked. Also while its good, they seem to want to add layers of icing later. Then again, buying it early means the cake is fresh.
    Waiting for it to go onsale means the cake is now a little stale, but if you dont mind that then its fine. All down to personal choice.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post

As Unrav said, a cab comparison aint the best. More like baking a cake. I could buy it fresh out, but with demands to get stuff out on time these days it may be half baked. Also while its good, they seem to want to add layers of icing later. Then again, buying it early means the cake is fresh.
    Waiting for it to go onsale means the cake is now a little stale, but if you dont mind that then its fine. All down to personal choice.
    SR3 is definitely a delicious and well baked cake. I'm glad I'm eating it now.

I'm pretty sure "40 weeks of DLC" doesn't mean DLC every week, but a bunch of mission packs. They announced three to be released until spring. I'm very excited for the one where the Saints go to space lol