Page 1009 of 1233 FirstFirst ... 950990995999910071008100910101011101910591109 ... LastLast
Results 20,161 to 20,180 of 24643
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    You ever play in the bath? Yunno, filling jugs with water and pouring it onto-

Let me try again, you ever play in a sand pit buildings pools, walls and trying to stop the water slowly-

Take 3: Do you ever eat mashed potatoes with gravy (any mashed vegetables will do) and watch the gravy slowly escape as you eat the potato formed vessel the gravy resides in? Maybe you throw up a damm with a carrot or get more gravy and watch your peas get washed away?

Yeah, Creeper World 3 is essentially Mash Potato and Gravy's sequel. It's plot seems to have less Magna stereotypes in it than Creeper World 2(more than Potatoes and Gravy) and the terraforming is like that of the series forefather Perimeter but even more nuanced. Dig a deep trough, drain away the evil gravy and then deploy a gravy changer and a gravy jug stopper.

Shooty space ships and the enemy spores are straight upgrades from the game play of mashed potatoes and gravy.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 11-03-2014 at 06:44 PM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    You ever play in the bath? Yunno, filling jugs with water and pouring it onto-

Let me try again, you ever play in a sand pit buildings pools, walls and trying to stop the water slowly-

Take 3: Do you ever eat mashed potatoes with gravy (any mashed vegetables will do) and watch the gravy slowly escape as you eat the potato formed vessel the gravy resides in? Maybe you throw up a damm with a carrot or get more gravy and watch your peas get washed away?

Yeah, Creeper World 3 is essentially Mash Potato and Gravy's sequel. It's plot seems to have less Magna stereotypes in it than Creeper World 2(more than Potatoes and Gravy) and the terraforming is like that of the series forefather Perimeter but even more nuanced. Dig a deep trough, drain away the evil gravy and then deploy a gravy changer and a gravy jug stopper.

Shooty space ships and the enemy spores are straight upgrades from the game play of mashed potatoes and gravy.
    I'm intrigued (I swear, you sell me far too many games Helio, they should be giving you kickbacks). I played a bit of Creeper World 1 and liked it, never really played 2. It sounds like 3 would be up my alley, but should I get 2 while I'm at it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I'm intrigued (I swear, you sell me far too many games Helio, they should be giving you kickbacks). I played a bit of Creeper World 1 and liked it, never really played 2. It sounds like 3 would be up my alley, but should I get 2 while I'm at it?
    Haha, I was thinking the same thing (and I've said it before.) My halcyon sandbox days are fondly remembered, and I spend far too much time playing with candle wax so I guess I should give it a whirl.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    2 added a side on perspective(and 3 went to top down again) and in my eye allthe levels felt small and predefined, more linear maybe because they were narrow and deep, that's pretty much a 'line'. It's okay but victory often felt inevitable and you were rarely
    spinning many plates.
    3 is on sale now, it's in gamersgate's indie fort bundle for 3 or more pwyw along with that game that looks like the old amiga game Walker but it's an elephant thing with a wizards lab on its back instead of a mech(not played that yet) and some other games I don't care about.

Edit: I'd happily suggest skipping 2,but they all have demos.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 11-03-2014 at 07:18 PM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    Finished the first two Bioshocks (and Minerva's Den), now i'm still playing Hearthstone, plus The Swapper and Epic Battle Fantasy 4

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fallingcow View Post
    It's worth pointing out a tactic is more a mean to achieve the main goal other players can mess with than a theme. You can indeed consider what the game focuses on and draw some lines between a general theme (kill small groups on enemies which number vary for potential fragging/ghosting opportunities), seeing hack n slashy games as beu's with bosses and lots of grinding in between, and core mechanics such as slashing the crap out of things. Just because it may be dangerous to fall into the "it shoots, are you sure it's not a shooter?" line of thinking, 'cause portal has the fps core mechanic of shooting (to solve puzzles as a twist).
    I think it can be both

A good example is Relic's Warhammer 40k Space Marine. On the surface, that is a third person shooter with an emphasis on melee. But by having the mechanic that you heal through melee kills, it changes the whole dynamic. It starts being about charging the enemy line, tanking a few shots, and then healing up by ripping the head off an Ork. It stops being "just a third person shooter" and starts being something unique (that it then proceeds to be for so long that you forget it was a unique gameplay style and just wish ANYTHING different would happen :p). It is just a simple tactic (that probably doesn't even work on higher difficulty settings), but it greatly changes the flow and style of the game.

Whereas you look at something like Red Faction 1 and most of RF 2 (it might have changed after I lost interest), where the geomod means nothing. Yeah, you can blow up walls, but you aren't going to. You are just going to play. RF: Guerilla was sort of in the middle: Normally you won't be taking advantage of geomod, but it encourages activities like getting in a truck, ramming an outpost, crashing through a wall, rescuing people, and driving out. But you only do that when you are dicking around anyway.

That is mostly what I was getting at. Metal Gear Rising adds the spine sucking as a healing mechanic, but it changes the focus so that you need to balance your energy levels so that you can heal mid-fight, which changes how you approach fights.

Or, like you say, with FPSes. On the surface, UT and CoD are all about controlling the map and taking out your opponents. UT has pick-ups that form the routes, CoD just has level design that funnels people into those routes. But you generally won't turn a corner and see two people circle strafing in CoD, just like you won't see someone ducking behind cover to shoot at people in UT (unless it is instagib, at which point you are basically playing the precursor to CoD).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I finally gave Hexcells a whirl and whilst it has some LOVELY ideas and is quite addictive, I suspect at least 2 of the puzzles require 'guesswork' to complete them (at least I got them into that position).

I also dislike that you can progress through most of the game even though you make mistakes - often quite a lot of mistakes - esp when mistakes will hand the solution to you "on a plate"

Otherwise it's lovely...

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I finally gave Hexcells a whirl and whilst it has some LOVELY ideas and is quite addictive, I suspect at least 2 of the puzzles require 'guesswork' to complete them (at least I got them into that position).
    Nope, there is not guesswork required in Hexcells, and I'm two levels from finishing Hexcells Plus and no guesswork was required as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Titanfall

The Stryder Titan with its Unlimited Dash core is much fun. It works well with the Quad Rocket.

I really want to see Titanfall using Frostbite with Destructible buildings. The maps with 1-2 capture points in a building can be annoying at times when my big robot can not just simply smash in a hole in the wall to kill the pilot inside. To be fair it does add a nice mix to the maps, requiring you to exit your Titan to cap. Or just defend the cap that allows room for your Titan.

Zapping rodeo pilots with electric smoke is always satisfying. I think I dusted 3-4 pilots with one Titan. Each new pilot did not have to remove the armor plating, so I took some hull damage each time after the first.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Naramsin View Post
    Nope, there is not guesswork required in Hexcells, and I'm two levels from finishing Hexcells Plus and no guesswork was required as well.
    I hit a puzzle earlier which I'm 99% sure wasn't soluble without guessing (and there wasn't much of it left at that point) - I didn't screenshot it but if I get there again I will.

A bigger issue, tho, is that I could just 'guess' - complete the level and really have lost nothing - which is a bit of an issue I think?

I don't think the game has the draw it needs to make me want EVERY star - it's not QUITE that sort of game - and unlock requirements are very, very low (to not unlock a level you'd have to be thick-as-pigshit really)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    Ive beaten path of exile. the last guy took me five lives to beat. three of them i got one shotted when coming back to arena. show up. walk to him and bang im dead. he was waiting at me at the stairs. the first death it was through my mistake. was not paying attention to my life.
    the frigging one shot move just sucks. always hated that kind of thing in games like that.
    Pretty sure it isn't really a one-shot on normal, or at least it shouldn't be. I mean, I gave up with one character (ranger), but I never actually got to try melee with her - I had nothing to cancel bleeding, I'd forgotten to drop a portal and I couldn't face climbing the tower again at that point. I went through the game again with another character (witch), got to him and even though I couldn't cancel out his health drain and died in melee I still wasn't going down instantly. He gave me just enough time to get close-ish and drop a few summons, and they were so powerful by that point they kept whittling him down even when I was dead. Probably took me about the same number of lives as you, maybe a couple more, but he never one-shotted me, he just damaged me faster than I could heal. Either that or you're describing some move he never got to do to me.

I hit a puzzle earlier which I'm 99% sure wasn't soluble without guessing (and there wasn't much of it left at that point) - I didn't screenshot it but if I get there again I will.

A bigger issue, tho, is that I could just 'guess' - complete the level and really have lost nothing - which is a bit of an issue I think?

I don't think the game has the draw it needs to make me want EVERY star - it's not QUITE that sort of game - and unlock requirements are very, very low (to not unlock a level you'd have to be thick-as-pigshit really)
    There was only a single level that I was unable to solve without guessing. Did it involve a small island of hexes with two blanks, without anything to indicate which was the right one?

Network Hub
    I was there and I thought the same but there is alwayes a way to figure it out without guessing.

Can't believe I've missed the Brent Radford sidequest in my first playthrough! actually, I can, but it must be one of two sidequests I've missed (the second one being Sandoval's, strangely because I went behind Taggart's back but did not screw him over) and predictably it's the one truly worth playing.

With my hourly cost now really close to 2 €cents, I'd be feeling almost guilty were I not so disgustingly pleased with its having dislodged that horribly overrated RPG I won't name out of my 5 most played games list on Steam.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Lesser Hivemind Node TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Even though I got really stuck a year ago in Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (and I loved the game but gave up in frustration, even on easy mode) I gave in last week and bought the expandalone Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams - Rise of the Owlverlord (jeez louise). Aaaaand, I'm having fun! Playing only a level at a time, completed the first threee and I have to say it is a massive improvement on the original, due to much much better level design. I am not lost any more. Usually (though not always) there are pointers on where I need to go next and even in circular levels, I found it hard to feel lost or bewildered. Plus, it was one quid and it already gave me half of it back in card money.

To sum it up, I kinda love it!

I am stuck in Heartstone... I am falling again for those damn card games. Just another one syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Got into an RTSy sort of mood so went and bought Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm. I enjoyed it more than Wings of Liberty; less awkward space cowboys and more growly space monsters. Boy is the campaign easy though. I know all Blizzard games tend to be easy on normal difficulty but this felt extreme. It's as if they gave you super powerful hero characters but then balanced it as if you only had normal units. Or something.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    TitanfallThe Stryder Titan with its Unlimited Dash core is much fun. It works well with the Quad Rocket.I really want to see Titanfall using Frostbite with Destructible buildings. The maps with 1-2 capture points in a building can be annoying at times when my big robot can not just simply smash in a hole in the wall to kill the pilot inside. To be fair it does add a nice mix to the maps, requiring you to exit your Titan to cap. Or just defend the cap that allows room for your Titan.Zapping rodeo pilots with electric smoke is always satisfying. I think I dusted 3-4 pilots with one Titan. Each new pilot did not have to remove the armor plating, so I took some hull damage each time after the first.
    I'm going to throw my hat out there... but... if Titanfall is amazingly successful (as in beats BF4 in sales) then I am pretty confident Battlefield 2143 will be rushed out to meet your wishes. In fact... by the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    I think it can be both

A good example is Relic's Warhammer 40k Space Marine. On the surface, that is a third person shooter with an emphasis on melee. But by having the mechanic that you heal through melee kills, it changes the whole dynamic. It starts being about charging the enemy line, tanking a few shots, and then healing up by ripping the head off an Ork. It stops being "just a third person shooter" and starts being something unique (that it then proceeds to be for so long that you forget it was a unique gameplay style and just wish ANYTHING different would happen :p). It is just a simple tactic (that probably doesn't even work on higher difficulty settings), but it greatly changes the flow and style of the game.

Whereas you look at something like Red Faction 1 and most of RF 2 (it might have changed after I lost interest), where the geomod means nothing. Yeah, you can blow up walls, but you aren't going to. You are just going to play. RF: Guerilla was sort of in the middle: Normally you won't be taking advantage of geomod, but it encourages activities like getting in a truck, ramming an outpost, crashing through a wall, rescuing people, and driving out. But you only do that when you are dicking around anyway.

That is mostly what I was getting at. Metal Gear Rising adds the spine sucking as a healing mechanic, but it changes the focus so that you need to balance your energy levels so that you can heal mid-fight, which changes how you approach fights.

Or, like you say, with FPSes. On the surface, UT and CoD are all about controlling the map and taking out your opponents. UT has pick-ups that form the routes, CoD just has level design that funnels people into those routes. But you generally won't turn a corner and see two people circle strafing in CoD, just like you won't see someone ducking behind cover to shoot at people in UT (unless it is instagib, at which point you are basically playing the precursor to CoD).
    The vampiric thing is more for those who want to go melee all the way like in avp, because shooters' maps are not designed to rely on melee as a tactic hence melee charges are very risky for super strong damage.
    Which reminds me i'm playing avp and avp 2 and aliens are overwhelming:0 oh god marine guy run awayohnomnomnom
    Last edited by Wenz; 12-03-2014 at 11:50 AM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Naramsin View Post
    I was there and I thought the same but there is alwayes a way to figure it out without guessing.
    Agreed, all levels in Hexcells can be solved without guesswork. I'm on the last level of the 5th set in Hexcells Plus, and kinda stuck, but so far Hexcells Plus was also completely solvable without guessing. In other news, the last level of the 5th set is a bitch, and I'm stuck.

I have been playing One Finger Death Punch a lot lately, and it's just fantastic. It is the perfect game when you have half an hour and just want to do something. I've gotten to about 1000 in suvival, by then it just got too fast for me.