Page 1031 of 1206 FirstFirst ... 31531931981102110291030103110321033104110811131 ... LastLast
Results 20,601 to 20,620 of 24102
    Mass Effect. I... I just can't. The wonky combat. The piles of mind-numbingly indistinguishable weapons and items. The "OH HELLO WE'VE NEVER MET PLEASE BECOME IMMEDIATELY ENTWINED IN MY LIFE'S PURSUIT AND EARN CREDITS" dialogue. Interminable walking, infinite elevators, whatserface's pink armour. I've tried three times now but soon as we arrive at Federation headquarters or whatever I'm engulfed by ennui.

Do the sequels get better? I see a glimmer of something genuinely interesting in there- maybe it gets sifted out after the first one?
    Last edited by GunnerMcCaffrey; 28-03-2014 at 12:30 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    It's unashamedly an old-school arcade game (specifically - Jackal)
    Yeah, but my car didn't flip over all the goddamn time in Jackal.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    Do the sequels get better? I see a glimmer of something genuinely interesting in there- maybe it gets sifted out after the first one?
    Much, much better
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    Mass Effect. I... I just can't. The wonky combat. The piles of mind-numbingly indistinguishable weapons and items. The "OH HELLO WE'VE NEVER MET PLEASE BECOME IMMEDIATELY ENTWINED IN MY LIFE'S PURSUIT FOR CREDITS" dialogue. Interminable walking, infinite elevators, whatserface's pink armour. I've tried three times now but soon as we arrive at Federation headquarters or whatever I'm engulfed by ennui.

For the most part. Combat significantly improves, the equipment system gets (mostly) abandoned, elevators get purged, the old-school SF tone gets shafted in favor of a much sleeker one, and the character writing gets better.
    Last edited by wrestledwithgod; 28-03-2014 at 12:51 AM.

So i tried the complete mod for Stalker shadow of cernobyl mostly because i wanted to see what the fuss was about and that i couldn't get into it the first time i played it, so i though to give it another shot.
    And really, i'm not exagerating, but it's awesome! Well maybe i am exagerating a bit, it still has a few bugs but mostly visual and some parts do seem outdated, but if you can get over it it's an awesome game. At night, the visuals, the sounds, they are all so immersive.
    I'm having a great time playing it and at one time i was in the sewer, i was wearing my headphones and all those sounds and feeling of loneliness amongst anomalies and dangers it felt really intense.

My experiences with Guacamelee in a nutshell: Started game, messed around with at least six different keybinding sets, settled for something that mimics Dust*. Play the rest of the game enjoying it. Then I reach the Jaguar boss fight, which I vaguely remember from the RPS WIT, so after three attempts I decide to take a break and I left the game alone for the past few days. Then today I go back to it, and five more tries later I've beaten the Jaguar. Was that really so difficult? Sure, it's stupid that all his attacks are uninterruptable, but dodging them works well enough. I think I was mostly lucky that I didn't get hit while in my attack animations as much, but it wasn't the brick wall that I was led to expect. Three hours later I reach the final boss - I had the feeling I was only halfway through the game - and I get obliterated three times in a row without getting a single hit in. What?! And the Jaguar was worth complaining about? How would you even...?

I'm gonna put it down again for a while. Whether I can be bothered to finish it remains to be seen.

*Seriously, more developers should realise that mouse buttons are perfectly suitable for action platformers. My brain is already wired to map 'attack' to my right index finger and 'movement' to all fingers of my left hand, so with 'grab' on F and dimension switch on MMB it's ideal.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by wrestledwithgod View Post
    the old-school SF tone gets shafted in favor of a much sleeker one [in ME2]
    But still 80% of the plot is lifted straight from old Deep Space 9 episodes. Seriously, someone must have compiled a list somewhere, but off the top of my head: Krogans=Klingons (including the Grunt plot, there is an episode of DS9 where Klingons clone one of their ancient heroes to reinvigorate their culture), Volus=Farengi, Cerberus=Section 32, Alliance=Federation, Normandy stealth ship=Defiant stealth ship, Shepard=Sisco (alright I just made that last one up, but they do both have visions from mystical aliens). Shit, Major Ashley may as well = Major Kira, complete with mildly xenephobic attitude. Only got into Star Trek in the past year and the amount of 'inspiration' ME clearly took from it is shocking.

Time to do a playthrough as Ben Sisco, perhaps?

Anyhoo, been playing Dark Souls again. Getting into it properly now and it has me utterly.

I must say I preferred the pulp sci-fi of the first Mass Effect to the generic space opera of the later instalments. It had more charm.
    But of course I completely agree that characters were much much better handled in the second and third.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Carmageddon: Reincarnation was released on Steam today as a pre-alpha build. So far it's everything I know and love about the series. Things look very good for this game to turn out as good as I'd hoped it would be.

The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Guess I'm one of the weird people that enjoyed ME1 far more than ME2 (haven't bothered to give ME3 a go).

The setting just felt far more fleshed out, the codec was simply oozing details and information about the huge space opera setting they had created (or lifted from DS9, according to Rizlar? never watched Star Trek, so no clue), as mishandled as the planet exploration was it helped create a feeling that you really were in space jumping from planet to planet at your whim and I personally LOVED the weapon/armour customization. Call me mad, but it simply clicked for me.

Oh what's this, an N7 sniper rifle? For my full sniper infiltrator Shepard? With heat reduction, recoil dampening and plutonium enhanced bullets? WELL HO-HO-HO SPACE CHRISTMAS JUST CAME EARLY.

Also: no Cerberus idiocy.

And there's always console commands if the leveling, equipment managing, and morality systems annoy you like they did in my case. On PC, at least. :D
    Last edited by wrestledwithgod; 28-03-2014 at 03:10 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Infamous: Second Son is great super hero action and blowing stuff up. I am going the Good Karma on my first playthrough. Although I have no regrets taking out a group of activities or the sign ad guy. I also picked up the mid level PS Gold Headset, which has custom audio mix for the game. Sound is rather great and good ambiance.

Now to split time between that, Reaper of Souls and Titanfall over the weekend. And just getting into the good stuff in Bravely Default.

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Guess I'm one of the weird people that enjoyed ME1 far more than ME2.
    /wall of text incoming

I’m in the same boat. I loved Mass Effect (because it was a RPG), I liked Mass Effect 2 (because it was an Action Adventure game with RPG elements), I despised Mass Effect 3 (because it was non of those two). Mass Effect 1 gave you that Star Trek-like feeling that very few other games have. You’re the leader of a spaceship, a member of the up and coming human race landing on unexplored planets in unknown worlds, discovering their inhabitants, learning about ancient civilizations, engaging in conflict with cybernetics and scum, and eventually defeating a Reaper who wants to end all life in the galaxy. Don’t even get me started on the conversation with Sovereign. That really defined the Reapers as these beings of incredible intelligence who don’t give a shit about the world you live in, then in ME2 and ME3, they completely gutted them: ‘THIS HURTS YOU!’, ‘YOU ARE BACTERIA.’, ‘I WILL SHOW YOU TRUE POWER.’ Seriously? Who wrote that rubbish?

Say what you will about the combat, but at least it was heavily inspired by the game’s lore. For instance, Biotics couldn't damage an enemy without striping their shields first. Each of your abilities had their own cooldown, instead of a global one, which make the earlier stages of the game difficult, but the later ones were so much fun because you were this super Spectre with his alien buddies going against legions of Geth, using big guns and shooting out powers left and right. I was really disappointed when the other two games removed the tiny bit of thought required when engaging in combat. It ultimately became "shoot-shot-power, wait, shoot-shoot-power" ect. I really enjoyed Saren as a villain as well. ME2 and ME3 were missing that element of interaction that you had with Saren. He was a grey character, he did what he had to because he though it was the right thing to do, not because it was 'good' or 'evil', unlike Harbinger.

ME2 was a good game, but they took away so much of what made the first game great, such as the world exploration (I hate you, stupid mining minigame!), inventory management (I can kind of understand this one), the Mako (this one doesn't make sense, the Mako was so awesome, it just needed refinement), big, open levels (maybe that was the hardware starting to show its age), natural cover (hey look, here’s three conveniently placed barricades for you to take cover in, time to fight, whereas in the first game you took cover behind ‘natural’ cover points like walls, boulders, furniture ect. In the first game it felt like the levels were designed with combat in mind, while in the second they placed cover everywhere, and built the levels around that).

Let’s not even talk about Cerberus. I think that whole plot device was stupid and contrived. Originally, IIRC, Shepard was meant to be found up by Legion and his Geth, which makes a lot more sense story wise. If you use the hack to get him in your squad before you’re meant to, he has lines of dialogue for every mission; some interesting dialogue as well. It’s a pity you end up getting him so late into the game.

Not to mention the over sexualisation of some of the female characters, for example, all the ‘in your face’ Miranda ass scenes…sigh. We have to appeal to 14 year old boys guys! Otherwise our game won’t make any moneyz. If you're going to do sex, do it properly or not at all. Don't half-arse it.

ME1 also had the best PC port, with more than enough options and settings to choose from. One thing I could never forgive them for was that the textures in ME2 and ME3 looked just as bad as the ones in ME1. Really? You can’t give us higher quality textures. Was it that much effort? The fact that I have to use texture mods for all three games really pisses me off. I didn't even know that those black things on the Normandy SR2 were supposed to be windows; they looked like something out the 16bit era.

I could carry on, and complain about ME3, but I think I’ve written enough. The only good thing I can say about ME3 is that I got the special N7 edition for R200 ($20) when it came out because of incorrect pricing at my store. So at least that pile of horse manure didn't cost me that much. The fact that I played the multiplayer more than the single player, in what was supposed to be a primarily single player game, says all I need to say about that. Until the added in Volus characters. Lore? We don't need LORE!
    Last edited by TheImpZA; 28-03-2014 at 08:40 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    It's unashamedly an old-school arcade game (specifically - Jackal) and it takes it's motif from those games.

The idea is that you learn how to progress in stages - and you don't even have to feed-in 10p pieces...

Not for everyone, perhaps, but once-upon-a-time, all games were like that.
    I remember Jackal. I played it on the zx spectrum as a kid.
    My issue with RO is just the time events. There simple isn't enough time most of the, uhm, time, to do them. And I can't be bothered doing the whole level, just because I run out of time.

Lesser Hivemind Node TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Yeah, but my car didn't flip over all the goddamn time in Jackal.
    Yes, definitely that, too. Together with hovercraft like movement and lack of barriers on elevated platforms. The amount of times I fell off the platform trying to enter a building, only to realize I have to go around the whole bloody platform to find the entrance to it again, with 20 seconds left on the timer... nah, that's just crap design.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I fucking LOVE Jackal!

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I finally got hooked on Vampire Bloodlines.
    Despite liking it I never actually made it far into the game, now I'm in downtown and having a blast.
    I really liked it. Much more than deus ex games, really:)

I have to agree with you guys who say that ME1 was better than the others.
    For me ME1 was really a sci-fi story put in a game form, the others were a game with a sci-fi story.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    That fight is pretty much dependent on what class you are

If you are a Fighter/Tank (like my first try), it is nigh impossible

If you are a mage or a rogue (so you have DPS out the ass), it is trivial

Hmm, as many problems as I have with DA2's combat, I kind of want to play it again/finally complete it (it glitched out at the start of the last Act). Just a shame I can't be arsed to buy the DLC even though I know Bioware will never have a sale.

[edit]Heh, went back to check and I did indeed forget to back up my DA:O save. But I then found there is an actual save file generator. SO yay[/edit]
    I just bombed/poisoned my way to victory as a fighter first time round. I'll gladly admit that a one-on-one fight like that in a party game is illl-advised, but it's a tiny percentage of the game all being said.

Network Hub
    I'm with the bunch who consider ME1 to be the best of the trilogy. From story perspective it felt like tribute to space-opera, but later on it begins dwelving into its own lore for the worst of it. Seriously, ME2, another insceto-like, hive-mind race in s-f, without a hint of self reference that it was done to death, tried to sell as a game mystery... dreary.