Page 1032 of 1258 FirstFirst ... 32532932982102210301031103210331034104210821132 ... LastLast
Results 20,621 to 20,640 of 25158
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Naramsin View Post
    I'm with the bunch who consider ME1 to be the best of the trilogy. From story perspective it felt like tribute to space-opera, but later on it begins dwelving into its own lore for the worst of it. Seriously, ME2, another insceto-like, hive-mind race in s-f, without a hint of self reference that it was done to death, tried to sell as a game mystery... dreary.
    So, what, every time a game does something that's been done before a bunch of times you need a big sign up saying "HA HA HA, THIS IS ALL A BIT SILLY REALLY, ISN'T IT"? :(

Again, the Edge review pretty much echoed my thoughts - I found ME1 dull, humourless and self-important, with one-dimensional, vacuous characters (seriously, Liara's entire storyline/her very existence is kinda pathetic, really), some terrible bits of game design for a triple-A production (why did anyone enjoy the inventory system, whyyyyy) and a forgettable central conflict that never really engaged me. You say the sequels handled the lore badly, but... no, there's no way I can make sense of that - the first game just felt like they'd created this giant expanded universe they were so proud of but forgot to include anything to make anyone care beyond a cookie-cutter world-in-peril plotline that could have been swapped with half-a-dozen other games out around the same time without anyone noticing.

Also, I can honestly say hand on heart I absolutely loved the DLC for ME2 which let you visit the Normandy's crash site, if only because that was the closest I got to being able to piss on the Mako's grave. Screw that ridiculous, pointless, broken excuse for an ATV, seriously.
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    I agree that the story (and probably the world building) was best in ME1, but I do prefer the gameplay of the later installments. Both the Mako and the planet scanning was horrendous, time consuming nothingness, but at least the Mako let you experience more of the universe (in both meanings). Immersion-wise, I'm really not sure. I was more invested in the story of ME1, but I cared more about the characters in ME2.

I should mention that my impression of ME1 might be tainted a bit by me playing as the rather boring soldier class. It's on my list of games to play again, so I may alter my opinion when my backlog isn't weighing as heavily on my consciousness. So, any decade now. I'm guessing that I won't be as drawn in to the story next time, though, since I already know how it all goes, more or less.

Oh, and ME3 has an undeservedly bad reputation. It was good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    Oh, and ME3 has an undeservedly bad reputation. It was good.
    No argument there. My only real problem with ME3 was how the stupid readiness system locked me out from the ending I wanted. I played after they patched it to be easier, and even used a FAQ, and still couldn't work out how to max that out, so I quit before the end once I realised I'd still borked things beyond any hope of redemption. Still liked it other than that - not as much as 2, but it didn't deserve the hate it got.
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Finished swapper, bit too easy but it tickled my brainy gland like portal 1 (and 2 Coop) did, beautiful and thought provoking narrative, can't be arsed searching for secrets (found 1/10) but don't see the point using a guide.

Started an XCOM (ALL DLC+enemy within, SUPER RANDOM SETTINGS) run. It's probably going to be the only run I'll finish.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

ooh, which second wave options did you activate?
    There are some that are great and some that are not great (never use red fog unless you're a masochist, it applies to your soldiers but not to the aliens, so it's pretty unbalanced)

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    No argument there. My only real problem with ME3 was how the stupid readiness system locked me out from the ending I wanted. I played after they patched it to be easier, and even used a FAQ, and still couldn't work out how to max that out, so I quit before the end once I realised I'd still borked things beyond any hope of redemption. Still liked it other than that - not as much as 2, but it didn't deserve the hate it got.
    Oh, I'm no fan of the readiness system, or rather the way it was implemented. I never felt the urgency in the mission, knowing that as long as the meter kept ticking upwards, there's no need to hurry. It would've been nice to see some sort of drawback to dicking around for too long, sort of like what they did near the end of ME2. Now I knew (or at least strongly suspected) that as long as I did every single little side quest, I had no reason to worry about the folks back home.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Having just finished Tomb Raider: Underworld, and quite happy to play some more, I'm probably going to start Tomb Raider: Legend again. Otherwise Batman: Arkham City sounds like a decent thing to finally play through. Meanwhile I'm still playing some World of Warcraft with a few of my mid-level characters. The variety of the world is still good fun.

As for Mass Effect, I'm definitely in the '1 camp'. Mass Effect 2 could have been fantastic, and its focus on the 'backstage' of the world was very nice and something I hope is returned to in ME4 - but the storyline was complete hogwash. There is no point to anything that happens at all. I suppose Mass Effect is a good example of making a trilogy, but doing it one isolated part at a time.
    Last edited by Tritagonist; 28-03-2014 at 07:12 PM.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

ME1's saving grace, I think, is that it doesn't take itself too seriously. It's a b-grade space opera power fantasy, not the self-serious "epic" space saga the latter games tried to be.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    ME2 has much better gameplay than ME1 and much better difficulty settings than ME3 so it wins. I also rather liked the "TV series" kinda structure it had..

Eight Rooks, don't worry too much about not getting the "good" ending of ME3. It's pretty horrible when you stop to think about it. To be honest if you choose anything other than control you're a dreadful war criminal.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

You heard it here first, folks: ain't nothing wrong with setting yourself up as supreme dictator of the galaxy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by wrestledwithgod View Post
    You heard it here first, folks: ain't nothing wrong with setting yourself up as supreme dictator of the galaxy.
    It's not a particular pleasant option, but it beats the alternatives!
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Lesser Hivemind Node TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Finished swapper, bit too easy but it tickled my brainy gland like portal 1 (and 2 Coop) did, beautiful and thought provoking narrative, can't be arsed searching for secrets (found 1/10) but don't see the point using a guide.
    You are a better man than me. The last quarter or so of the puzzles baffled me. Still finished it (last year), but I def looked into some youtube videos for some of the puzzles.

Obscure Node
    Been playing my pre-order of Goat Simulator.

Hilarious and strange and actually kind of twisted creepy. Oddly unsettling, even.

Scratches the 'what happens if I do this?', 'How do I get in/up/down there?' and 'what's the other side of that?' exploration type itches. Obviously it's not going to be a long runner, but there a suprising amount of stuff hidden away in the nooks and crannies of the map and the ludicrousness of firing off the Jet-pac at the Ragdoll Skate is enough to give me my money's worth, even if I never touch it again.

It seems I am easily amused.

Slightly surprised that falling through the world geometry didn't gain me an achievement. :)
    Last edited by skapusniak; 28-03-2014 at 08:23 PM.

Hearthstone, never has a game made me instaquit like this one, so much RNG nonsense in Arena.

Have stuck to playing daily quests on casual, a much more relaxing and varied experience

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    So, what, every time a game does something that's been done before a bunch of times you need a big sign up saying "HA HA HA, THIS IS ALL A BIT SILLY REALLY, ISN'T IT"? :(

Again, the Edge review pretty much echoed my thoughts - I found ME1 dull, humourless and self-important, with one-dimensional, vacuous characters (seriously, Liara's entire storyline/her very existence is kinda pathetic, really), some terrible bits of game design for a triple-A production (why did anyone enjoy the inventory system, whyyyyy) and a forgettable central conflict that never really engaged me. You say the sequels handled the lore badly, but... no, there's no way I can make sense of that - the first game just felt like they'd created this giant expanded universe they were so proud of but forgot to include anything to make anyone care beyond a cookie-cutter world-in-peril plotline that could have been swapped with half-a-dozen other games out around the same time without anyone noticing.

Also, I can honestly say hand on heart I absolutely loved the DLC for ME2 which let you visit the Normandy's crash site, if only because that was the closest I got to being able to piss on the Mako's grave. Screw that ridiculous, pointless, broken excuse for an ATV, seriously.
    I don't know why are you so aggresive about my opinion ? That's just my stance about ME series, and as I said i like ME1 as it was just a tribute to the space opera, nothing entirely orginal or engaging per se but pleasing in a way of "reliving this cool moments of this s-f genere": space ships, alien races, robots, exciting universe etc. Certainly I've found far more pleasing just skimming on the surface of s-f cliches then geting serious and mystic over something so trite as alien hive mind race.

But maybe it's time to share some pleasantries, is it ? I can tell that me and my wallet regret so much that i've not found these forums eralier and your posts. Despite reading gaming press for years and then interent sites: reviews and whatnot have been hit and miss for my buying habit for a course of the years, my fault included of course too. But as a right now i can honestly declare you are my gaming compass with coincidence reaching probably surreal 90 %, what you like i dislike and what you dislike i like. Match made in heaven.

Ah.. I need to have finished the game( http://xcom.wikia.com/wiki/Second_Wave ) this is a problem. I get bored by the grind and teleporting in opponents and identikit soldiers, something I hope Enemy Within will resolve.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 28-03-2014 at 11:36 PM.

Last edited by TheImpZA; 29-03-2014 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamlord View Post
    You are a better man than me. The last quarter or so of the puzzles baffled me. Still finished it (last year), but I def looked into some youtube videos for some of the puzzles.
    Yeah, I get that, I think powering through it in a quiet afternoon allowed me the right framework to get fully consumed by its logic. If I'd stopped half way I'd be doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheImpZA View Post
    Lots
    Most of that comes down to dissatisfaction with the ending, doesn't it? Sure, you have every right to be annoyed and disappointed at the ending, but saying that it was a bad ME game based on that is quite harsh IMO.

As I said before, I think ME1 had the best story. Really, it's the only one that kept me interested. And I understand your criticism of the ending, although I haven't spent much time analyzing its incompatibility with the franchise canon, but before that there were dozens of hours of pretty solid ME gaming.

And AFAICT, ME3 was a character focused, "Talky and Techy" Sci-Fi about the fight against the reapers. It was more action-oriented than the first game, but then again, so was ME2. Apparently, they took some liberties with the technological side of things, and some aspects of the ending were weird beyond canonical issues, but I fail to see how they "abandoned the things that made the series great in the first place."

I did enjoy your comment, but I'll take a rain check on the YouTube channel. It's time for this buoy to bob away into the night-night sea.

Network Hub
    Betrayer is very peculiar.

I really love the ambiance and the setting : you're dumped on an island without knowing why or what to do and you basically explore english settlements and fight dead spaniards and solve the mystery of the deaths of all the people who lived there.

I can't tell you much more about it, mainly because it would spoil important things in a game that is all about discovery, but also because I don't really know what to tell.

I just arrived on the second (big) map and I have to say that the combat is already getting old... But I think I'll put the game in easy mode and see it through, it's an intriguing piece of work.