Page 1034 of 1155 FirstFirst ... 34534934984102410321033103410351036104410841134 ... LastLast
Results 20,661 to 20,680 of 23082
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    You like Something Angles, then?
    You mean Aiming Angles? I use it all the time. It makes early game even more deadly on classic. Especially when thin men arrive. After that though it gets easier and easier like any XCOM:EW playthrough.

I'm getting tired of RE4. It's never even slightly scary, more like unsettling sometimes but not too much, it's kind of old too and that doesn't help. I enjoyed it's obvious clones like Dead Space much more. Even the second Dead Space. And by the way, RE4 setting often looks exactly like some stages of Dark Souls. Even some enemies and bosses look similar. Not sure what to thinbk of it.
    Last edited by coldvvvave; 30-03-2014 at 05:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Network Hub
    Just got tothe Deus Ex: HR equivalent of Hong Kong; the level design is gorgeous, and the accents aren't as absurdly terrible this time, which is good enough for me. I've also upgraded my arms to the point where I can pick up and throw refrigerators and vending machines, which I find oddly hilarious.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Aiming angles? Ptshwaaa, it's something angles from now on.

And yes, I like it. It gets rid of missing point blanc shots around cover. I still wish I could throw up cyber barbed wire or something like that, but whatever. The fact is with 'something angles' gun fights can get into police academy shootouts from heavy cover to heavy cover, but that's okay because you are playing it wrong. It instead throws influence from RNG to tactics, and abilities. It also boosts grenades and the ability to ignore over watch or throw out suppression.

People not being identikit clones is easier to praise, they matter, you grieve them, you want meld or to save a felled ally, but the soldier is too precious it creates compromise, the mother of strategy.

Edit: I need to add, Enemy Within is the best expansion pack for years. It fixed the base game and poured in interesting content. Non of the lazy 2 maps, 3 guns and 4 hats nonsense here.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 30-03-2014 at 06:23 PM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Finished my NG of Dark Souls 2 (sort of, it uses the Borderlands approach of letting you dick around before manually starting the NG+), and overall I like it a lot.

In a lot of ways, it is the best Souls game yet. The weapons have a lot more variety to them and magic isn't the be-all end-all of PvE it used to be. Similarly, I really loved exploring the world and I think doing a hybrid approach was the smart thing to do: It has the Demon Souls "Go to the far ends of the world to find widgets" going for it, but it is still one giant and semi-connected work, like Dark Souls.

Boss wise, there were quite a few good fights but far too many of them were "boring humans" as it were. Honestly, if I did the actual headcount it is probably the same number of "fun" and "weird" bosses as Dark1, but with a LOT more human-ish bosses in between. Because it basically uses the Demon Souls style "A boss for absolutely every area, sometimes two" approach, and there are a LOT of areas. I think I have three rows worth of boss souls, and EVERY boss drops a boss soul now (except one, but he is special).

Similarly, the puzzle boss this time is completely reasonable and not at all annoying.

Furthermore, there is a new boss mechanic that I am sure a lot of people are going to HATE. Pretty generic, but I'll block it anyway: Horde bosses. Basically you fight massive waves of mooks in place of a single boss. So Capra cranked up to 11.

In terms of story, I found it both lacking and amazing. The bad: It is the most half-assed and shitty narrative in a Souls game to date. I honestly STILL don't really know why my PC was doing anything, especially as nobody really told me what to do outside of "Go kill shit, but we won't tell you what shit". I pieced it together because I played the other games, but I would be very surprised if any newbies know what is going on. It isn't "Why are they asking me to do this?" like Dark1 but more "Uhm, why am I doing what this person said? And does anyone remember what that person even said to begin with?"

Also, I STILL don't know what was going on at a few points, so I look forward to EpicNameBro's videos on the subject (he may be an obnoxious douche, but the man is good at piecing together the lore of a Souls game and making it very clear which parts are fact and which are speculation. He actually predicted the contents of the Artorias DLC eerily well. I STRONGLY recommend watching his lore videos and ignoring any of his gameplay ones). And at some point I'll go through and read all the Boss Soul descriptions for a bit more info, as well as the strategy guide I bought (never used while playing, but it makes for a great coffee table book and has a lot of art and even some lore). I was reading the Boss souls as I played, but near the end I was fighting bosses so rapidly that I lost track.

That being said, I absolutely LOVED many aspects of the story. I won't spoil anything, but let's just say that people who played Dark (and to a lesser extent, Demon) Souls are going to LOVE figuring out how things are connected.

Of course, the game is not without flaws. It seems like melee, archery, and magic (all the flavors of magic) were nerfed/buffed to be approximately equal. For the most part, my bow was doing comparable damage to my sword, and people I summoned had spells doing a similar amount of damage. In a lot of ways, that is good: It avoids an optimal (PvE) build. On the other hand, it makes archery VERY powerful as arrows still seem to have some aim assist while spells miss left and right. And one of the things justifying magic was that it left you vulnerable. You had to find an opportunity to cast and hope it hit before you got blasted. Now, you still have to find that opening, but you'll probably miss anyway. And even if you hit, there is a good chance you might have been better off smacking them.
    Of course, that is not to say that magic is useless. There are more than a few bosses who can be wiped out with one or two castings of an area of effect spell.

I would suggest rolling a melee+pyromancy build on your first game (I did pure melee with a bow and only had a few problems), but I plan to play through as a caster with a halberd eventually.

Also, the level design is a LOT dickier now. One area in particular (Shrine of Amana) is pure hell and trumps anything Demon Souls ever threw at you. Trust me when I say: It makes Blight Town seem fun in comparison (in fact, I very much enjoyed Dark2's version of Blight Town :p). Generally not at the same level as Demon as it still uses the Dark "Try to put a bonfire right next to the boss" approach, but Dark players may get pissed.

And visually: Some textures look a bit shitty and stretched (particularly the face of the final boss that the game zooms in on...), but all those screenshots you saw saying how horrible it was: They are lies. The game looks a LOT better than Dark1 and there is still a lot of absolutely gorgeous dynamic lighting and warm textures. Some areas got toned down, but the devs did a good job. That being said, I am looking forward to re-buying this on my PS4 so that I can have the prettiness of the PC combined with the hack-free MP

Which brings us to the PvP. Yeah... there are already incredibly optimized PvP builds that will fuck you over. And the mechanics of the game make avoiding PvP a lot harder (you can be invaded for a few deaths after you lose your humanity, and you want to stay close to human a lot of the time for the health boost, since the Cling Ring wastes a slot). In fact, even at probably 15-20 deaths below humanity (long since capped out at 50% health) I regularly get "kidnapped" in certain areas. And it looks like the game punishes people who disconnect, based on certain item descriptions. So yeah.. expect to take your lumps.

Honestly, if the Steam version doesn't have an anti-cheat mechanism of some form I would suggest playing offline or just buying it for a console. It got pretty bad in Dark1 where PvP was (generally) an agreed upon duel. Now? Now invaders pop up VERY frequently and victims have heroes to come to their rescue. So expect hackers on all sides of the PvP landscape which will make a LOT of stuff a LOT harder and less fun. I've been having a lot of fun rolling as a Blue Sentinel (I get summoned in if someone invades somebody) and coming to the rescue of Hosts, but I know that I would be pissed if the Red were unkillable... or if I was a red and the Blue was unkillable.

All in all, I like it a lot. It isn't perfect, but I see no reason to really go back to Dark1. I may go back to Demon eventually, but that is just because I keep forgetting how abusive and poorly designed it was :p. Dark2 is not a perfect game by any stretch of the imagination, but if you liked Dark Souls you will (probably) LOVE this. And if you bounced off Dark Souls you will probably REALLY hate this :p. But be very wary of the PC version as there is a LOT of room for griefers to ruin things for you, and playing a Souls game offline is just depressing. And you miss out on a lot.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    Just got tothe Deus Ex: HR equivalent of Hong Kong; the level design is gorgeous, and the accents aren't as absurdly terrible this time, which is good enough for me. I've also upgraded my arms to the point where I can pick up and throw refrigerators and vending machines, which I find oddly hilarious.
    Hengsha is my favorite environment in the game (which obviously means it is the bestest). BTW I think that aug is one of the first picks if you play crawly-stealthy (so it is one of mine), so many vents are blocked by stuff.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Network Hub
    Yeah, the arm aug (and the leg aug) are incredibly useful, as are any of the upgrades related to hacking. I'm thinking of maybe getting a cloaking system next, though I don't know how often I'll be able to use it.

The jumping aug is one that can be skipped IMO, there's almost always (staying on the safe side here) another way round, but if you have extra points it can be fun. OTOH the Icarus system turned out to be more useful than I'd thought.

How much you will use cloaking depends on your playing style. Even if you takedown/stun everyone like this one guy I know, it's still pretty handy, especially in the second half. To make the most out of it, you'll have to spend praxis on both cloak and batteries, but it's kind of a trade off.

One last thing, I've used quicksave/load a lot to test out augs and figure out what is worth spending on sooner rather than later, and would recommend to do the same, some augs are more extra comfort than absolutely necessary - and at some points in the game I was typically spending a bunch of praxis all at once, so IMO it's worth keeping some unspent points most of the time.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Quote Originally Posted by thomasbacon View Post
    Playing Regimental Chess.
    Self-promotion goes in the self-promotion subforum and should be stated as such. I'm sure that your game is great and you've probably put a lot of work into it, but if you want people to appreciate your product, I'd suggest sticking to the rules and avoid spamming the forum with cookie-cutter posts. Especially when I'm grumpy because I can't sleep.

Network Hub
    I'm starting Risen.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Galactic Civilization 2 features so much micromanagement. dear god. I always thought MOO2 overdid it but this game is just another level. at least when trying to play on huge map.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    So as it turns out, it's extremely easy to cheat in LUFTRAUSERS. I was having a hard time getting a blimp to show up yesterday which I mentioned in the RPS Steam chat room and someone told me you can edit a file to increase the starting difficulty. I then had a poke around the other game files and you can tweak pretty much everything from the number of bullets an enemy will fire in a salvo, how fast they move and how much damage they can take to projectile damage, weapon reload speed, body health and engine speed. I couldn't see anything about combo timers, though. I will admit that I had a play around with this stuff but on the one occasion I beat my own high score I alt-F4'd immediately. I did however use the anonymous tip to complete the missile and cannon missions (i.e. 'destroy a blimp') since blimps are harder to come by in the PC version than the Vita version, unless it's related to the player level I guess.

Put aside Civilization V for a while, in order to play Dead Space (free on Origin right now). Origin has been a pain in the backside thus far, it took three attempts to even get the game to start properly. I'm not sure what to think of Dead Space yet. I don't think it's particularly scary, and the controls are not exactly great: it feels like I'm moving a tank around, not an actual person. And why does the back of the main character fill more than a third of the screen? I can't see where I'm going!
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    Put aside Civilization V for a while, in order to play Dead Space (free on Origin right now). Origin has been a pain in the backside thus far, it took three attempts to even get the game to start properly. I'm not sure what to think of Dead Space yet. I don't think it's particularly scary, and the controls are not exactly great: it feels like I'm moving a tank around, not an actual person. And why does the back of the main character fill more than a third of the screen? I can't see where I'm going!
    I had very similar issues when I gave it a try a few months ago. I dropped the game pretty soon afterwards, when a door bug prevented me from progressing. I've heard that you get used to much of it, but I don't want to have to learn to enjoy a game.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    I've downloaded it too, but haven't started playing yet. Is gamepad preferable?

Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    I've downloaded it too, but haven't started playing yet. Is gamepad preferable?
    I wouldn't know, really. I have very limited experience with playing games with gamepads, but Dead Space definitely feels like it was made for consoles. If you have one, I'd be sure to give it a try.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I played Dead Space 1 and 2 and ended up using the pad. While the mouse gives you more accuracy the movement on a keyboard didn't feel great. The mouse also ended up making the game a bit too easy because of the increased accuracy.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

still Fallout New Vegas and got the reinforced Chinese Stealth Armor mod in for my other stealthy scientist character. It's a pretty interesting little side quest if you can take the romance diary shit. got the pauldrons and the neat suit but no helmet yet. Can't find the goddamn Fire Root Cavern and I hate to waste my time just rounding around New Vegas *just* for that.

Also, still alternating on the scumbag run back an forth. I'm just screwing around New Vegas for new sights and bounty hunting. Cook-Cook's going doen first. Thinking of going for Honest Hearts at level 10. Is that too low or...?
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Dead Space: I switched to pad less than a minute in. The controls were clunkier on m+kb and IIRC, all the tooltips are for controller regardless. I pretty much always play this type of game with m+kb (for accuracy and camera controls), but there was some pretty horrid mouse acceleration going on, if I'm not mistaken. All-in-all, it's a pretty shoddy port.

I played the first dead space and i think they worked with me but yeah the mouse sensitivity drops so much the shooting comes down to strafing rather than aiming. The game bored the hell out of me honestly. I spent a speedrun throwing objects most of the time but everything is all like carton boxes to necros (because system shock 2 has basically everything dead space has and it's fun to play it amnesia style till you get a decent gear, assuming you already played it once and know what to do)
    Last edited by Wenz; 31-03-2014 at 02:47 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Arkham Origins might end up as my favourite Arkham game... Prime example of developer loyalty making people miss out a good game.