Page 1035 of 1136 FirstFirst ... 35535935985102510331034103510361037104510851135 ... LastLast
Results 20,681 to 20,700 of 22719
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Arkham Origins might end up as my favourite Arkham game... Prime example of developer loyalty making people miss out a good game.
    I have no loyalty to Rocksteady but I thought Origins sucked. Then again I also thought City kind of sucked and Asylum was overrated; good, but not as good as everyone made it out to be. Why do you prefer it to the other two? I found it too samey and dull, personally.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    I have no loyalty to Rocksteady but I thought Origins sucked. Then again I also thought City kind of sucked and Asylum was overrated; good, but not as good as everyone made it out to be. Why do you prefer it to the other two? I found it too samey and dull, personally.
    Yeah, it wasn't so much developer loyalty as just Origins being so blatantly half-assed. Just about everything was a rehash of either City or Asylum, right down to the riddler puzzles almost all being repeats and glue functioning in exactly the same fashion as ice.

And the horrendously buggy release didn't help things. A game that ate saves, had multiple spots where an autosave could leave you unable to proceed, and uncompletable quests just doesn't scream "good game" to me.

It did a fairly good job of showing the origins of The Joker, but even that felt half-assed and managed to ignore the continuity established in previous games. Similarly, Bane as the big bad was a nice change of pace, but it felt like a huge copout and a blatant movie tie-in.

And I am not at all a fan of the devs outright saying "We are done here, we won't patch anything else" while the game still has some fairly serious issues.

One of the things it DID get nice was the larger world, but by restricting transit between zones to very specific gates (and not making it obvious, visually, where the gates would be) it made transit a hassle and encouraged the use of fast travel. Oh, wait, you couldn't unlock fast travel for most areas because the puzzles were glitched.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I agree with Sirkicksalot and I'll weigh in on why I liked Origins a lot, much more than City (which I still really liked). Origins is just a better Batman story than City was. All the side objectives/stories fit into the story being told. City felt very disjointed compared to the other two.

Origins really does have a better story than City, by a long margin but as Sirkicks said, developer loyalty is causing people to miss out on it.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    *snip*
    Honest Hearts should be safe to do as low as level one. White legs drop pretty decent loot at higher levels, however, so it may be worthwhile to wait.
    Last edited by wrestledwithgod; 31-03-2014 at 04:23 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    still Fallout New Vegas and got the reinforced Chinese Stealth Armor mod in for my other stealthy scientist character. It's a pretty interesting little side quest if you can take the romance diary shit. got the pauldrons and the neat suit but no helmet yet. Can't find the goddamn Fire Root Cavern and I hate to waste my time just rounding around New Vegas *just* for that.

Also, still alternating on the scumbag run back an forth. I'm just screwing around New Vegas for new sights and bounty hunting. Cook-Cook's going doen first. Thinking of going for Honest Hearts at level 10. Is that too low or...?
    I did HH at level 8, reckon you could probably do it on about 6 without any great difficulty to be honest, it's very straight forward and there's not much content requires or benefits from any high skill tree I can think of. You can also pick up an OP weapon and armour set there so be wary of that if balance is your thing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Dead space has mouse acceleration and negative mouse acceleration too (slow speeds end up unusually fast) it ends up mattering more how long you moved the mouse than how far.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I agree with Sirkicksalot and I'll weigh in on why I liked Origins a lot, much more than City (which I still really liked). Origins is just a better Batman story than City was. All the side objectives/stories fit into the story being told. City felt very disjointed compared to the other two.

Origins really does have a better story than City, by a long margin but as Sirkicks said, developer loyalty is causing people to miss out on it.
    Origins is great narrative wise. But the half-assery Gundato summarised above is the primary reason a lot of people were turned off the game. If people aren't playing it because of developer loyalty that makes them idiots. :)

But it speaks volumes of how good Rocksteady's efforts were that people would go to that length.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    >I'm Batman doing routine Batmany things, as opposed to Batman racing against the clock to defuse a gigantic conspiracy. I'm convinced that shit will hit the fan laster but the first hours feel more relaxed and fresh. I enjoy the cutscenes and writing more. The previous games had really bad stories. I don't know what Arkham City was about except for punching dudes in the face. Origins is pretty cool, I'm actually curious to see how it unfolds.

>Batman is very brutal and that's awesome. His voice actor sounds great.

>I think Batman and Christmas go like peanut butter and jelly. AC also had a winter setting but this one's better because the city is not a ghetto. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside when I walk down an alley, see all the neon signs and hear Christmas carols. I feel like I'm in Gotham city, not a videogame level.

>I don't even notice the collect-a-thon elements... They annoyed the shit out of me in the previous games. I don't know if there are fewer riddles and collectibles or if their design is less obnoxious.

>better art design. It has the perfect balance of colour and grimdark and it's less visually cluttered than Rocksteady's games.

>the crime scene reconstructions make me feel smart and cool although I'm just rewinding a video

>the combat is faster and more challenging. The Deathstroke boss fight is beyond awesome.

>the DX11 performance is great, while Arkham City is the worst DX11 game ever. The bugs are either patched out or waiting to eat my progress later.

Activated Node
    Actually, I enjoyed every edition of the Arkham series, although it's nothing groundbreaking. The stealth parts have been done much better (Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid, even Hitman), the beat'm up part is funny, but is all about timing, with limited skill involved, and the story is ok, but nothing great compared to some of the great Batman arcs in the comics. And still it clicks, with a good balance between stealthy parts, all out brawls with 15+ baddies, and funny boss fights (although I hated the Deathstroke part in Origins).

I do believe as well that I like it so much, because most other movie/comic franchises that have been brought over in a game suck, because of the idea that the franchise will sell, regardless of the quality of the game (which is true, unfortunately). I was actually wondering which other movie/comic/book franchise I can recall with a product of the same standards, and I got to go back to Knights of the Old Republic and Jedi Knight. Unless you would consider the Tom Clancy series, but the link with the books are more and more vague.

Quote Originally Posted by sonson View Post
    I did HH at level 8, reckon you could probably do it on about 6 without any great difficulty to be honest, it's very straight forward and there's not much content requires or benefits from any high skill tree I can think of. You can also pick up an OP weapon and armour set there so be wary of that if balance is your thing.
    Nice! Got up to level 12 now and I think I'll take a walk there when I get Cass to join up. My char won't like seeing a buncha tribals though...
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vdwd View Post
    Actually, I enjoyed every edition of the Arkham series, although it's nothing groundbreaking. The stealth parts have been done much better (Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid, even Hitman), the beat'm up part is funny, but is all about timing, with limited skill involved, and the story is ok, but nothing great compared to some of the great Batman arcs in the comics. And still it clicks, with a good balance between stealthy parts, all out brawls with 15+ baddies, and funny boss fights (although I hated the Deathstroke part in Origins).

I do believe as well that I like it so much, because most other movie/comic franchises that have been brought over in a game suck, because of the idea that the franchise will sell, regardless of the quality of the game (which is true, unfortunately). I was actually wondering which other movie/comic/book franchise I can recall with a product of the same standards, and I got to go back to Knights of the Old Republic and Jedi Knight. Unless you would consider the Tom Clancy series, but the link with the books are more and more vague.
    To be fair, KOTOR (the comic) had little to do with KOTOR (the game). It was really a side story that occasionally intersected and had one character in common. Also, it was MUCH better than the games and probably had the single most interesting and fun protagonist in a Star Wars property, ever.

And it is probably best to not speak of the TOR comics.

Similarly, Splinter Cell actually wasn't a book before the game. And the books are actually by a non-Clancy author. Also, the books kind of suck :p
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Nice! Got up to level 12 now and I think I'll take a walk there when I get Cass to join up. My char won't like seeing a buncha tribals though...
    "[Sneering Imperialist] Whatever. Joshua, put a cap in General Gobbledigook here."

I love this game. :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vdwd View Post

I was actually wondering which other movie/comic/book franchise I can recall with a product of the same standards, and I got to go back to Knights of the Old Republic and Jedi Knight.
    Riddick.
    The 2009 Wolverine game from Raven is AWESOME.
    I also like the Wanted game. It's short and rushed but very fun.

Telltale's recent games, Metro 2033, The Witcher. LoTR and Spiderman apparently had decent adaptations as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Riddick.
    The 2009 Wolverine game from Raven is AWESOME.
    Whenever I heard about the Wolverine game I thought people were taking the piss, but after a while I think I've acknowledged that maybe I was just wrong. It probably had something to do with the opening sequence have him take out a helicopter or something.

But yes, Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay is excellent and the expansequel, Assault on Dark Athena, is good, albeit not quite as good. Both boast a really good voice over cast. When they say they're gonna kill you (Riddick), you reaaaaaaaally believe that they want to.