Page 1051 of 1180 FirstFirst ... 515519511001104110491050105110521053106111011151 ... LastLast
Results 21,001 to 21,020 of 23594
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    Until you get to a shit damage sponge boss that is tedious in the extreme and stop playing just as you were starting to quite enjoy yourself in spite of the dreary aesthetic.
    The only boss that I would come close to describing as a bullet sponge (mostly because it does pretty much no damage to you) is the third one...and I only thought that initially because I was doing it wrong and ended up making the fight take way longer than it should've. There's also the recurring boss fight in the final dungeon, but that's less bullet spongey and more repetitive.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Think it was the first one, some stupid bat style thing with what seemed like a gazillion hit points (it's entirely possible that I hadn't spent enough time faffing around upgrading my skills or upgrading the wrong ones and took it on too early hence the seeming non dying of the damn thing, either that or I'm rubbish!). It just felt unfortunate to me that the game chose that moment to start taking its cues from Metroid instead of Zelda. Crossing from derivative but quite fun into derivative and boring just didn't inspire me to go much futher, but I might be willing to give it another shot sometime as I'm definitely inclining towards games that I can sit on the couch and play with a controller at the moment and once Saints Row 4 is done I'll be needing another one.

From what I recall of that fight, it's throw bomb, hit a few times, rinse and repeat until dead. It has been years since I've played it and I really don't recall it being a bullet sponge, but it might well be. I know a lot of people had trouble with that fight too, again something I didn't encounter. Might've played a factor?

Yeah been quite a while for me but I seem to remember the rinse and repeat cycle taking an interminably long time to the point where after failing when I was probably very close to killing the damn thing I just didn't have the will to try the one more time I probably needed (I'm definitely less patient these days!).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Then, as much as my eureka moments with The Swapper impressed me, I'm feeling too tired to play anything that requires brainpower.
    Do come back to it, its beautiful.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Was enjoying Dragon Age 2 up until the act 3 Sebastian quest that is apparently un-completable with the latest patch. Bioware's solution is "just reinstall the game and don't patch it"

Yeah, all of my momentum just went out the window. And it is a shame, since I was actually very much enjoying DA2 this time around.

So now I am debating more Path of Exile or possibly some Diablo 2 (watched a lore video by Jesse Cox and he actually motivated me to get interested, and I DO have a copy of diablo 2 registered with battle.net for some reason).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    Until you get to a shit damage sponge boss that is tedious in the extreme and stop playing just as you were starting to quite enjoy yourself in spite of the dreary aesthetic.

That might have just been me though!
    for me it was the Giant Worm boss (which I think is about #3 or #4?). There doesn't seem to be any feedback to indicate whether I've been doing it wrong/right. I was really enjoying the game up until then though.

JGMan, do you happen to remember what you're supposed to do for that fight?

I believe so? I'll put it in spoilers, just in case.

[Darksiders 1 third dungeon boss fight spoiler]On horse back, you need to ride up to its mouth where the locks are for its mouth guard and take them out by sword. There is one on each side. Once the guard has been broken off, you need to let it charge you and target its Desginated Weak Spot for massive damage using the gun. There's a few minor challenges in this fight: 1) Getting on the correct side of the worm to break the locks. 2) Getting in position to get charged and landing a good shot. 3) Staying on your mount.[/spoiler]

I just watched a video to make sure I got it right. It can take a bit of time because you're usually being subjected to problems with the third challenge, but it's generally speaking pretty straight-forward and rather difficult to die on if you've done even a basic job of getting health upgrades.

[Spoiler]It's not as fun as the arena fight beforehand, but then that was a really high point in the game.[/spoiler]

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Ugh...boss fights. When can we retire those from the annals of gaming again? At least in their current iteration, they are often the worst thing about games. I wish developers would realize that bosses should have unique, superior combat AI, more robust weapon and move sets, and be more adaptable in general, in order to increase their difficulty.

But no. We get damage sponges instead. Which is really a pity, as its such a wasted opportunity.

Ahh well...currently playing Crysis 3, courtesy of Origin's spring sale. I would never recommend it for anywhere near full price, but for $9.99 its a decent shooter. Only a couple of hours in, and there are some corridors. But I have also seen some of those wider levels as in the first game, offering the chance to really play the AI for fools and sort of make your own solution for getting where you need to go.

Not a bad game for $9.99, to be honest.

Network Hub
    Completely agree with the above. Never once in a game have I gone "awesome, a boss fight!" At best, they're inoffensive enough that I can barrel past them without my momentum taking too much of a hit. At worst, they can stop a game dead in its tracks to the point that I just stop playing.

Anyway, I'm in the mood for something a bit lighter after Lone Survivor, so I started up Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge. It's more Monkey Island, which is good enough for me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    Completely agree with the above. Never once in a game have I gone "awesome, a boss fight!" At best, they're inoffensive enough that I can barrel past them without my momentum taking too much of a hit. At worst, they can stop a game dead in its tracks to the point that I just stop playing.
    My thoughts on the subject absolutely word for word. I've literally never encountered a "good" boss fight, they only come in "tolerable" and "awful" varieties. These days, with limited gaming time and seemingly limitless options, they're an easy way to simply eliminate certain games from purchase consideration. Dark Souls, for example, isn't even faintly interesting thanks to its reliance on these tiresome annoyances.

On Topic: AI War (still, because it's just that good), Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition (despite the still-lackluster AI, <sigh>) and I just started dabbling with Arcen's new one: The Last Federation. It's got a lot of promise.

To be fair I've enjoyed some of the Zelda boss fights and the same goes for Psychonauts. I think with a little bit of invention they can rise above the "tolerable." Though I guess in the aforementioned cases it's not so much the gameplay mechanics that elevate them but the fact that they've got a good sense of humour about how ridiculous they are which brings in an element of fun that's often lacking in games which take themselves more seriously.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    BG2 has the best boss fights (if you'll call them that), as one would expect from the Official Best Game Ever.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Boss fights can be great! The aforementioned Dark Souls (also what I am playing) and Zelda. Both have great boss fights because they exhibit interesting and novel behaviours. They require the player to observe and adapt and pose enough of a challenge for the victory to be really satisfying. And they provide a climax to what precedes them (I was ecstatic when the Iron Golem finally died).

Not to mention MMO bosses, which define organised PvE. Twenty people expertly beating the crap out of one monstrosity can be fairly exhilarating.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I pretty much only like boss fights if the things you're fighting are obeying the rules of the game. That means a normal sized health bar, no stupid immunities, and preferably using moves and equipment the player has or will eventually have access to. The final fight of Baldur's Gate 1 is probably the finest example of this I can think of. Jeff Vogel also does this pretty well.

The best boss fight in my memory is Jedi Knight 2. They made a genuinely fun boss fight, and then they made a way out for people who hate boss fights.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Metal Gear Solid, Metroid and Castlevania games are poster children for bosses done right.

But fuck puzzle bosses. The ones in Darksiders were terrible.

A lot of the boss fights I've played in games recently are boss fights that don't belong in the game. My Steam library has tons of games that are deserving of the boss fights contained within. I think a lot of their implementations otherwise are just hackneyed and done "Because boss fights are in video games!!!" Need only play Serious Sam First Encounter to completion to know that boss fights are necessary, just in the right games.

EDIT: Boo sabrage, BOOOOOOO! Darksiders' bosses are fine...well, apart from the very final one of 2 which was bad for various reasons. At least the penultimate one was excellent.