Page 1059 of 1258 FirstFirst ... 595599591009104910571058105910601061106911091159 ... LastLast
Results 21,161 to 21,180 of 25157
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Yeah, Company of Heroes and Men of War are both games where I can't do marathon sessions. Both are just incredibly draining and I can usually get in one mission per day. Funny enough because CoH is all micro and Men of War is just a weird combo of micro and macro strategy. And, I'll admit, they are both rendered at too high of a detail for me to be entirely comfortable with the obscenely high casualties.

I do keep bouncing off Company of Heroes 2 though, for whatever reason.
    I always struggle with throwing lives away in Strategy games, but COH and Men of War are the worst for it. I feel every loss very keenly.

But I think that's another reason why I like them both, they respect the gravity of their setting in the way they play out. Soldiers feel very organic and fleshy and the violence is nasty without being exploitative or lurid.

COH was one of the first games I played which made me stop and think rather than just coo at playing soldiers. Even just the difference that a burnt out tractor can provide in an otherwise empty and exposed field helped me to better appreciate the closeness of lethality that people experienced in those circumstances. And the way a perfectly placid road could instantly erupt into fire, craters and melted tarmac, be that through tirggering mines or howitzer fire.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Guys,does the gameplay in mass effect 2 becomes any better ?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I didn't get past CoH's demo levels until I was experienced skirmish, open multiplayer and later in ranked multiplayer.

This turned single player into a laconic and relaxing story adventure where I occasionally butted up again against the limits of the scripting.

Squads flanked, men died and heroes were forged, but it certainly wasn't stressful. Now ranked multiplayer against a better player who just made mistake? That's stressful

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Hmm.. Which class? For engineers, infiltrators and vanguard the game peaks by the time you have all the companions, the other classes peak within half an hour. Those 3 classes are far superior.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 28-04-2014 at 05:38 PM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    If you mean in comparison to ME1, then yes, I would say it does. Otherwise, I'm sure Helio's post covers it better than I could.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I didn't get past CoH's demo levels until I was experienced skirmish, open multiplayer and later in ranked multiplayer.

This turned single player into a laconic and relaxing story adventure where I occasionally butted up again against the limits of the scripting.

Squads flanked, men died and heroes were forged, but it certainly wasn't stressful. Now ranked multiplayer against a better player who just made mistake? That's stressful

Hmm.. Which class? For engineers, infiltrators and vanguard the game peaks by the time you have all the companions, the other classes peak within half an hour. Those 3 classes are far superior.
    Well of course it's more stressful playing against a human where there are stakes involved as opposed to a computer where there are none.

Its all relative though. I was pretty competent at multiplayer after a while and while COH single player dosent demand as much it still is far more demanding from instant to instant than most other games which I don't really find challenging to anything like the same degree.

Activated Node
    After dropping 20-something hours into the Last Federation, I've decided to give it a break for a week or so. I love it, but it's also the case that with patches coming thick and fast, the fixes are worth waiting for.

In other Arcen-based news, I tried to start a game of AI War. I've started plenty, but get stuck with analysis paralysis early on. Any tips for moving past that?

Playing Dark Souls (the first) on and off, but it gives me horror-fatigue after a couple of hours. I have a weird intolerance for most forms of overt horror, and the depths seems to be the point at where that's kicked in for me. Might have to play it when I'm not stressed after work, as I really am enjoying it other than that.

Also, Dominions. Dominions Dominions Dominions.

Quote Originally Posted by alexjhh View Post
    In other Arcen-based news, I tried to start a game of AI War. I've started plenty, but get stuck with analysis paralysis early on. Any tips for moving past that?
    I have the same problem. The strange thing is that once I have conquered the surrounding worlds and some juicy ones (Advanced Science and Factories) I don't know what to do, and most of the next worlds are only conquerable by chipping them with full waves. And every one of those takes 20 minutes to assemble... The same thing with my scouts. They have reached their limits and even using transports, can reach the outer planets and find the processor.

The worst thing is that I may be in a stalemate and I don't even know. So I begin a new game and find my self in the exact same position.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by K5M>(\Du7V[v View Post
    I have the same problem. The strange thing is that once I have conquered the surrounding worlds and some juicy ones (Advanced Science and Factories) I don't know what to do, and most of the next worlds are only conquerable by chipping them with full waves. And every one of those takes 20 minutes to assemble... The same thing with my scouts. They have reached their limits and even using transports, can reach the outer planets and find the processor.

The worst thing is that I may be in a stalemate and I don't even know. So I begin a new game and find my self in the exact same position.
    At the point you're describing (which is basically the split between early game and mid-game) the next step is to scout the entire map. If you can't get that done, even with assault transports, then it's necessary to take a world or two to extend your reach. In a given game (on an 80 planet map) you shouldn't be taking more than 15-20 worlds at maximum. Once you have knowledge of where the remaining necessary targets are and where the homeworlds are, you plot a strategy to get to them with the minimum needed of world-takes and then execute that plan.
    Last edited by vinraith; 28-04-2014 at 10:19 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I failed an attempt to land on Minmus for the billionth and probably final time shortly after crashing an atmospheric jet (with the bizarrely resurrected Jeb inside) that I stupidly designed to push the nose up while under a lot of acceleration, so coming in to land... Yeah, it didn't work out so well. As a result I've put KSP aside for tonight and carried on with Max Payne.

I don't know how to feel about it. I like the story, I like the gameplay for the most part, and I think it controls well, but...

- Why oh why is the bullet time dodge and bullet time toggle mapped to the same key? If I toggle bullet time, move, then try to toggle it off again, I dodge, which has gotten me killed many times.
    - I don't like how it practically forces you to savescum your way through the game. Kill some bad guys, press F5. Kill another bad guy but catch a shotgun blast to the face from a guy hiding in the corner specifically to kill you at this point - hit F9. Use the Ingrams next time to kill both bad guys in one bullet time dive, repeat. It kind of gets old.

Considering it didn't have quicksave/load I'm not surprised I never tried to complete the PS2 version without cheats. So far I'm up to act 3 chapter 1, I'm hoping this is the last act... Then I might take a short break to play something easier before moving on to Max Payne 2: The Slow Motion Fall of Max Payne Shortly Before a Quickload Because of a Scripted Explosion.

Also playing Payday 2. Randoms are awful.
    Last edited by neema_t; 29-04-2014 at 12:58 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    My initial interest in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines has waned a little after getting into combat. Firstly, 'The Blood Guardian' can go straight back to hell, secondly, the entire warehouse level is making me a little grumpy because so far the only way I've been able to progress is via killing everything. Thought I found an alternate route to go in a little quieter, but that route seems to be less "I'll sleuth my way through this" and more "I'll kill these people before I kill those people. I wouldn't mind so much if it weren't for the combat generally feeling a bit sluggish. Part of my problem against The Blood Guardian was that my blocks never really felt like they were doing anything, whilst Attack!Attack!Attack! seemed to make me miss a few hits. Obviously, weakling humans are one thing, but some of them have shotguns.

I also keep forgetting to save so whenever I reload it's always far away from where I am. If there is one luxury of modern gaming is that auto-saving tends to be a lot more helpful. I had the same problem when I started playing Serious Sam a few years ago, so I guess I just need to really get into the habit of hitting that F5 key. So far the story beats, characters and dialogue have been fine, but as soon as I need to raise my fire axe, I seem to get a bit disappointed (despite the fact my character has better points into ranged weapons, the accuracy on them is properly pants). Still, at least it isn't Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I was already struggling to enjoy myself at this point relatively speaking. At least here you can just say "Screw it" and devour some blood.