Page 106 of 1190 FirstFirst ... 656961041051061071081161562066061106 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,120 of 23789
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Fun and wacky is mutually exclusive to GotY?
    I wouldn't say so. Those are simply adjectives I would apply to SR3, in an attempt to offer a brief description of the game. Arkham city would also fall into the "fun and wacky" category. Upthread I call Arkham City the most fun game of the last several years.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    The Settlers 7
    New nVidia beta drivers are out and..... Holy shit the game properly works now holy hell wow I can finally finish it yay yay yay yay yay yay!

Just Cause 2
    The rate of progress is so damned slow and in a way I feel like the pacing is poor - I've got more missions to do than I've had before, and I don't know where to start. It also doesn't help that so many aspects of the game feel a bit clumsy. Distances between things are huge and the only real method of long-distance movement is to use the cut-scene riddled Black Market dealer, which gets a bit annoying after a while.

It's good, yeah, but I honestly wonder if I'll complete it within any reasonable time frame. I feel as if it's a game that I'll just pick up and play for an hour or so here and there rather than sitting down to play it. For all its freedom, it's very repetitive.

That said, the quality of it makes me wonder just what the hell R* were doing when they released the IV port.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    In Batman's defense, Batman was grey, actiony and stick-up-arsey 60 years before it was cool.
    And also the reason I won't play Arkam Asylum.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    It's good, yeah, but I honestly wonder if I'll complete it within any reasonable time frame. I feel as if it's a game that I'll just pick up and play for an hour or so here and there rather than sitting down to play it. For all its freedom, it's very repetitive.
    That's exactly what I did for that very reason. Nonetheless, I encourage you to do the main 'story' missions. They get increasingly ridiculous/awesome, culminating in one of the most absurd, yet brilliant endings to a game I've ever played.

So, as per my post earlier today in this thread, I've finished Skyward Sword. Here's a mini-review: I think it's a good game, but it is not consistent. There are some great parts and there are some crap parts. There's a good amount of padding; I finished the game in about 32/33 hours, doing only a few side-quests (I gave up on the idea quickly). You could remove, I'm willing to bet, a good 5 hours at least and you'd make a far better game just in pacing alone. The motion controls are good, but the lack of being 100% accurate means they don't fly well enough in my book. They're not as reliable as a button and that for me is not good. Altogether, I also felt the game lacked any...and I'll have to borrow this one from TV Tropes, Crowning Moments of Awesome. There were a few really cool things (two dungeons in particular very extremely fun) but there was no moment that I'm going to remember for a long time. I feel the same of Twilight Princess in that I can only remember a few things, but I don't remember ever being as frustrated while playing that than this.

Incidentally the music, which is lovingly orchestrated, I found rather tame. It's nice to listen to, but bar a couple of small pieces, I can't remember anything. Not through lack of want, I just found it forgettable. There were some nice twists on old favourites, but really Nintendo are still in the shadow of Ocarina of Time. I don't know if I'll ever forget the Gerudo Valley theme, or the Bolero of Fire, or a variety of other things.

Essentially, Skyward Sword disappointed. It was a good game that tried to do things differently, but a lot of those ideas fell flat or never really amounted to anything that wasn't otherwise done to equal quality previously. I'm probably done with the game now. The thought of playing it again and knowing some of the parts that come up are highly uninviting, just like the beginning of Twilight Princess putting me off wanting to play that entirely again.

Contrast with Sonic Generations which I've started speed-running levels on despite not even being half-way through the game. It's just solidly fun. I've found a knack for jumping off levels, but hey, you're up quickly enough and it's just good. The in-game music selector is also a genius idea; replacing Green Hill Zone with the original 16 bit version is quite satisfying, not to mention Chemical Plant with Toxic Cave from Sonic Spinball. It's great!

I've just completed Speed Highway which I didn't 'get', but then I have no nostalgia for it. I imagine the same will be the case for 3 of the remaining 5 levels which I have not yet played. Regardless, I'm surprised I've not been properly disappointed yet with Sonic Generations. It's a good thing.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 29-11-2011 at 11:18 PM.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

I've not played Skyward Sword, just seen trailers, but it just looks really dated. And not just graphically but it terms of gameplay and design and art and levels and the fighting the voicework and sound...

Just looks like Ocarina of Time with a facelift.

That said some could easily say the same of GTA3 and Saints Row 2 or Morrowind and Skyrim...

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
    Just some advice, I would not rush into Dead Money. Out of all the DLC that is the one which truly requires you have a decent level, something around 20-25. The necessity goes beyond combat.
    Ok, thanks for that. My main reasons for doing it where to skip vanilla content for a bit, and because I knew they stripped you of your gear at the start of Dead Money, so I figured I might as well do it before I get attached to anything. But if it's really difficult I guess I'll just kick around for a bit, try and find some areas/quests I didn't spend a great deal of time in on my last play.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pink Ninja View Post
    Just looks like Ocarina of Time with a facelift.
    That was Twilight Princess. It was also better than SS, in my humblest of opinions.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    That's exactly what I did for that very reason. Nonetheless, I encourage you to do the main 'story' missions. They get increasingly ridiculous/awesome, culminating in one of the most absurd, yet brilliant endings to a game I've ever played.
    I've done some of them, but I'll take your advice on board and continue with them.

Quote Originally Posted by TailSwallower View Post
    Ok, thanks for that. My main reasons for doing it where to skip vanilla content for a bit, and because I knew they stripped you of your gear at the start of Dead Money, so I figured I might as well do it before I get attached to anything. But if it's really difficult I guess I'll just kick around for a bit, try and find some areas/quests I didn't spend a great deal of time in on my last play.
    Well, you should have a number of safehouses by the time you get ready for Dead Money, so you can safely drop almost everything before you go there. And I'd recommend it, too, because there's some good stuff that you'll want to bring back. I'd suggest finding the marker, then questing until 15-20, go to a safehouse, drop everything (I can't remember if you lose your stimpaks and stuff too, but I could be wrong) and then go back.

But you don't lose anything permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by TailSwallower View Post
    I quickly wandered into Pointe Grosse at a low level in FO3 and got hurt in my bum by inbred banjo playing hicks >:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I've started up Demon's Souls. I'm of two about it: On the one hand, almost every time I die it feels perfectly justified, and I can't fault the game for killing me. It's almost roguelike in its compulsion and its propensity for YASD(s). On the other hand, and this is what's more surprising to me, I was unprepared for how hard it is. I know that sounds ridiculous, being that Demon's Souls is well known for being hard, but I guess I let my ego (padded by past conquests of "hard" games) get the better of me. This game is ruthless, and it's punishing my every misstep. It's completely engrossing though, and I expect to sink a lot of time into it.

Also starting my second play of Ico, my thoughts on which I'll sum up elsewhere, and playing short bouts of League of Legends (always) and Wipeout HD here and there. I'm putting Max Payne (which I love) and Orcs Must Die (which I love-hate) on the backburner for now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    I've started up Demon's Souls. I'm of two about it: On the one hand, almost every time I die it feels perfectly justified, and I can't fault the game for killing me. It's almost roguelike in its compulsion and its propensity for YASD(s). On the other hand, and this is what's more surprising to me, I was unprepared for how hard it is. I know that sounds ridiculous, being that Demon's Souls is well known for being hard, but I guess I let my ego (padded by past conquests of "hard" games) get the better of me. This game is ruthless, and it's punishing my every misstep. It's completely engrossing though, and I expect to sink a lot of time into it.
    It's all a matter of learning the enemies attack pattern, once you get the hang of it the game stops being brutal and becomes a challenging puzzle.

I remember in Dark Souls that I died by the hands of the first three hollow soldiers and got pretty upset, then died a lot with mini bosses and me not paying attention, but after you've studied them ( by dying alot ) you'll be able to cruise through the levels with ease. :)

My new character arrived at the spot after 3 hours while my first character took a couple of days. ;P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Still playing

Network Hub
    Taking a bit of a detour from all the mindless violence I've had in Saints Row 3 and Renegade Ops late to start To The Moon after hearing a lot of praise about it from the RPS guys. I've actually got very little knowledge of the game beyond the basic premise and that it's supposed to be very bittersweet so.. we'll see how it goes!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I just wrapped up SotC (loved it) and am starting Ico now. I'm also in the second dungeon of SS. I'm still plodding through my second The Witcher 2 playthrough, as I desperately want to check out the new dark mode difficulty, but want to wrap up my current game first. I'm on Roche's path this time, and I'm honestly not enjoying it nearly as much as I did Iorveth's. Then there's Skyrim and BF3 of course. Also, my Zelda 3DS bundle is arriving today, so I will be getting my literal Ocarina with a facelift on soon.

I'm also still trying to get through Dark Souls, when I can work myself up to do it. That game is just so oppressive, playing it leaves me physically exhausted. I was trying to describe the game to a friend over drinks the other day, and this is the best I could come up with: You know how in some games, you can tell you are likely to be killed soon because you are facing a giant door, or can hear something big in the next room, and the designers have left you pots or crates full of health and ammo? Dark Souls feels like that all the time, only the pots and crates are always empty.

I've been playing Serious Sam: The Random encounter. Is a fun little game to spend a few minutes per day.
    I've been also playing Alpha Protocol, and I'm loving every minute of it. Few games can have missions that consist only on chatting to a character and actually be engaging and fun.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Still playing
    Throw a bottle at his head!!!! Did you see what I said about coop?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    The Settlers 7
    New nVidia beta drivers are out and..... Holy shit the game properly works now holy hell wow I can finally finish it yay yay yay yay yay yay!
    Does the driver play nice with the demo, also which driver is it?

Played most of limbo in one sitting, wow, its fun and dark and kinda unfair but I'm okay with that. Just grabbed onto the leg of a flying bug, that was a mean thing to do.

I've seen obvious "you lose" pitfalls in a few of the puzzles and avoided them, made me feel clever, thank you to the RPS person who gifted me it (I wouldn't like to announce who, seems impolite.)
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The Settlers 7 demo has been "deactivated" by Ubisoft. That's not a joke.

It is a fantastic game, however.

I am also available for Chaos Theory / Conviction multiplayer.

Got in an hour of Serious Sam FE HD last night. It's my first interaction with the series, and I absolutely loved it. The first door I opened had some big-brain guys with actual face textures on them (I'm guessing the developers), but since I was expecting to have to shoot everything that moves, a couple of them got blamo'd. Poor souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Does the driver play nice with the demo, also which driver is it?
    Don't know about the demo, but it's the latest beta - v290.36

It's cut load times dramatically (I'm talking minutes), the game feels smoother and there's no more of the texture/flickering issue.