Page 1070 of 1177 FirstFirst ... 705709701020106010681069107010711072108011201170 ... LastLast
Results 21,381 to 21,400 of 23536
    Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Also, did anyone else feel terrible for 'accidentally' making someone a ghoul, though? (Interesting term, I would have thought 'thrall' was far more apt.) I told mine to leave at every opportunity, mainly because I couldn't stand that she was so annoyingly fawning all the time. The other ghouls weren't like that at all. Mercurio? Vandal? Getting someone with the capacity for some independent thought would have been nicer.
    In the WoD, the typical thing is for a vampire to "elevate" a trusted servant to a ghoul after them having proved to be an asset. While drinking vampire blood is probably still a pretty intense experience, at least these people would have some idea of what's coming. Turning an unsuspecting teenager into a blood thrall (which is also a word that is used) is obviously not ideal. Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by alex5389 View Post
    Not a lot. Looking for a space game sim, but I am required to have 10 posts before I can open a thread! Cumversome!
    There's been some threads regarding space games if you want to get some info:
    Thread
    Another Thread
    different thread
    Space sims!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I stopped playing SWTOR for reasons I cannot even remember so I decided to try it again

I was reminded, immediately, that the opening cinematic is FUCKING AMAZING

I was reminded, shortly thereafter, why I didn't like it. I have a lightsabre and I'm swinging it at 2 enemies but I can only hit one of the them - because - combat!?!? what!?!?

I thought SWTOR came from the 'post shin-kicking' era of MMOs - even WoW made some efforts to move away from that a BIT - but it clearly didn't?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I stopped playing SWTOR for reasons I cannot even remember so I decided to try it again

I was reminded, immediately, that the opening cinematic is FUCKING AMAZING

I was reminded, shortly thereafter, why I didn't like it. I have a lightsabre and I'm swinging it at 2 enemies but I can only hit one of the them - because - combat!?!? what!?!?

I thought SWTOR came from the 'post shin-kicking' era of MMOs - even WoW made some efforts to move away from that a BIT - but it clearly didn't?
    Been a while (years?) since I played it, but it seemed fair. Auto-attack and the like were 1on1, but there were some area of effect attacks and I think a few did splash damage/arc damage.

In theory, I like the idea of my attacks working in an arc and the like (Torchlight 2 was good for that), but I suspect there could be balance/control (automation) issues as it makes targeted heals pointless in scraps and if everything becomes AoE it either gets boring or requires manual targeting (which everyone hates because they can't easily macro it).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Been a while (years?) since I played it, but it seemed fair. Auto-attack and the like were 1on1, but there were some area of effect attacks and I think a few did splash damage/arc damage.

In theory, I like the idea of my attacks working in an arc and the like (Torchlight 2 was good for that), but I suspect there could be balance/control (automation) issues as it makes targeted heals pointless in scraps and if everything becomes AoE it either gets boring or requires manual targeting (which everyone hates because they can't easily macro it).
    I assumed trjp's post was more of a "What's the point of being a Jedi with a lightsaber if I can't cut through everything in my path?" thing than a deeper analysis of any shortcomings in the game's mechanics. Though as you say, I'm not sure how they'd fulfil that fantasy without making it ultimately really boring/frustrating.
    I post photos here. I write stories here. I'm on Twitter here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Age of Conan was the first MMO (that I played, at least) where your melee attacks were 'arc based' and hit everything in-front of you.

GW2 was the first game (again, that I played) to really make it part of almost everything in the game.

Wildstar, of course, pretty much operates on a 'line of sight - arc of effect' basis for EVERYTHING and whilst I'm no fan of it, it makes playing SWTOR feel VERY clunky indeed.

The old 'mutual shin-kicking' approach of 'target enemy - kill enemy - target next enemy' is something you will never go back to once you've tried something else tho?

Lightsabers are just a really obvious example of that system being crap - your weapon is even passing through enemies but as they're not 'targetted' - nothing happens - it's VERY naff (so - blasters then? :)

p.s. all that said - I went back to WoW a while back and I don't remember it feeling THAT bad - that said tho, I was just enjoying-the-hell out of 'being back home' ;0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Age of Conan was the first MMO (that I played, at least) where your melee attacks were 'arc based' and hit everything in-front of you.

GW2 was the first game (again, that I played) to really make it part of almost everything in the game.

Wildstar, of course, pretty much operates on a 'line of sight - arc of effect' basis for EVERYTHING and whilst I'm no fan of it, it makes playing SWTOR feel VERY clunky indeed.

The old 'mutual shin-kicking' approach of 'target enemy - kill enemy - target next enemy' is something you will never go back to once you've tried something else tho?

Lightsabers are just a really obvious example of that system being crap - your weapon is even passing through enemies but as they're not 'targetted' - nothing happens - it's VERY naff (so - blasters then? :)

p.s. all that said - I went back to WoW a while back and I don't remember it feeling THAT bad - that said tho, I was just enjoying-the-hell out of 'being back home' ;0
    In all fairness, Guild Wars 2 is still kind of a mess in terms of PvP

But yeah, I think the problem was they were targeting the WoW "I'ma gonna make me some macros and tools to automate everything", whereas the ones you listed are trying to encourage actual player input.

And the ONLY games to ever get the Lightsaber correct are the Jedi Knight games. Everything else has light bats.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

You know, it's almost endearing how hard Metro: Last Light tries to be triple-A, until it sticks you in an arena littered with insurmountable waist-high walls so that you can fight a bullet-sponge boss that's impervious to bullets from the front. You are taking. the wrong. lessons.

It became further aggravating when I'd spent all my ammo on that monster and half a dozen of my allies were still firing on it out of reach, to absolutely no effect. Then my filters ran out and I suffocated just as I killed it with a grenade, unfortunately that didn't count.

Then shortly after there comes another bullet-sponge boss fight - this time of the charge-at-you-and-knock-down-pillars variant - that I had to take down exclusively with a sniper rifle and a handful of mines. It finally died when I sent my last bullet into its head, at which point a smaller mutant nearly killed me before I could knife it to death. Luckily I avoided having to redo that one.

All the rest of the game is Metro as we know and love, so no complaints there, but jeez, it's like they had to fill a checklist of tired videogame tropes with this one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    I bounced off Wildstar hard enough to make a sonic boom. The movement and aiming mechanics were fine and all, but all of the wit and charm leading up to the game amounted to nothing for me. The areas still had that big, sparse, vacant quality everything in MMOs do, I still had a Chosen One plot while surrounded by 50 bajillion people doing the same thing as me in the same room with infinitely spawning enemies, and I still had worthless, awful combat that wasn't in the slightest engaging or tactical despite all of the upgrades vs. something like SWOTOR. It's a mess. I don't understand how there is an entire industry built on gameplay this soulless and vapid and I don't understand how such incremental meaningless improvements made it this far with this much praise when something like Planetside 2 exists and uses a really rather friendly Free to Play model.

I just don't understand how this keeps happening. How do teams that are clearly so well versed in art design and flavor and color produce such crappy games in the name of clinging to the MMO standard tropes?

It's frustrating. It's frustrating to see the talent and love that went into the game so blatantly wasted. The MOMENT I got out of cutscenes and into play, all semblance of new-ness vanished.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Fired Rise of Nations back up tonight. It's been a few years, but playing this game again always feels like meeting up with an old friend. Everything about it is so comfortable and so well designed, the interface is still this thing of perfect beauty that puts all other games in the genre to shame. It still feels great, still looks fine, and is still an absolute joy to play. Oh, and the AI is still outstanding. Still my favorite "pure" RTS, hands down. And I can still play it with friends because Big Huge was smart enough, despite having built Gamespy in, to also include a direct IP option. The only problem is having to locate the damned disc, this thing really needs to be on GOG.

Also dabbling with Don't Starve again. I got the expansion but I'm afraid to turn it on, still feeling my way through the base game trying to avoid looking at wikis or stumbling over spoilers. There's so much neat stuff going on in this game, it's just a great big puzzle box trying to kill you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Fired Rise of Nations back up tonight. It's been a few years, but playing this game again always feels like meeting up with an old friend. Everything about it is so comfortable and so well designed, the interface is still this thing of perfect beauty that puts all other games in the genre to shame. It still feels great, still looks fine, and is still an absolute joy to play. Oh, and the AI is still outstanding. Still my favorite "pure" RTS, hands down. And I can still play it with friends because Big Huge was smart enough, despite having built Gamespy in, to also include a direct IP option. The only problem is having to locate the damned disc, this thing really needs to be on GOG.
    Vinraith has good taste. Rise of Nations is an impeccable game. I remember playing it years back, when I was still at school, and I was so bad at it I honestly considered taking it back because I just couldn't win a single map. Then, a few months later, after having decided to fling it in a drawer and forget about it instead, I reinstalled it, and it all clicked. Due to the way borders worked, the unkillable nature of cities, the infinite resources (but limited gathering points) maps could turn into these enormous tug of war tussles, cities changing hands back and forth until a slight advantage finally cascaded into something bigger. Enormously satisfying game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Been playing 'restore previous settings' in Firefox 29. If there is one thing I despise in computing it's 'developers' coming up with a genuinely good product, only to spend the next five years taking away features under the guise of 'improvements'. If you're that desperate to design artsy UIs, do so in a new program - not in one that millions of people already use. And then there's people like 'Software Engineer' Mike de Boer who come up with nonsense like this: 'The fact that you're looking down all the time to find something that is not there anymore is called muscle memory and it will take a bit of time to get used to the new situation. Trust me, you'll get used to it! The add-on toolbar is not coming back.'

That's right, user. Get used to it!

Anyway, with that rant out of the way, I've been playing quite a bit of World of Warcraft again after feeling less than compelled by The Secret World. I don't want MMO games to be about me, and I most definitely don't want story cut-scenes to take me out of the world every other minute. And there's also something about movement in World of Warcraft that puts even current games to shame. It's so beautifully smooth and precise, and characters seem to carry the weight they should. No doubt part of this appreciation is due to having spend untold weeks playing this game and with this engine. I guess it's what they call muscle memory...
    Last edited by Tritagonist; 10-05-2014 at 09:13 AM.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    In the WoD, the typical thing is for a vampire to "elevate" a trusted servant to a ghoul after them having proved to be an asset. While drinking vampire blood is probably still a pretty intense experience, at least these people would have some idea of what's coming. Turning an unsuspecting teenager into a blood thrall (which is also a word that is used) is obviously not ideal. Heh.
    Ah, interesting, I'm gonna take this reply to the Bloodlines thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    *Metro: Last Light complaints*
    While I'm not entirely unsympathetic to your issues - I had a very similar experience - if the first boss you're referring to is the train then while I raged over it quite a bit I have to point out then when I looked up how to beat it (shoot the red bits off) and went back to the fight it did seem really, really obvious in hindsight. The one with charging the pillars, too: I got that so wrong the first time I actually ran out of ammo, completely, not a single bullet or anything left, and it still wasn't dead - so I started the entire game over again, and went into it the second time with a sinking feeling ("Is this actually going to be enough?")... and then killed it in a minute, tops, by shooting at the right places with military-grade ammo. Not exaggerating.

I do agree 4A are not getting these things right - they are relying on tired tropes, they're not communicating things to the player as well as they could do - but just like the first game ("Ugh, why does everything need a hundred bullets before it dies?") I seriously think there are a lot of people who complain in large part because they're playing it wrong (Nothing did. Statement of fact). Sorry to be so confrontational there (as I said, it's hardly their fault), but I can't think of any other way to phrase it off the top of my head - and hey, I'm including myself in that group, too.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 10-05-2014 at 01:06 PM.
    I post photos here. I write stories here. I'm on Twitter here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    That's right, user. Get used to it!
    Chrome/Google+/YouTube keeps crossing the threshold of my patience. No I don't want to post YouTube videos under my name, I want to do them by my infinitely more distinctive Web handle, stop fucking asking. No I don't want a notification dialogue for updates in the task bar.

I adore Android as an open platform, but I fear what Google would do if they ever became the leader in the mobile market.

"Do no evil" is a thing of the past.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I want to play KotoR 2 but it's packed away in a box for the move and I'm not willing to buy it again on Steam, so it's King's Bounty The Legend for now.

Kerbal is constantly on my mind, every vehicle I see (IRL or media) I keep seeing ways to improve them. I am still terrible at building aircraft but I'm enjoying the juggle of compromises between a blasting rocket and comparatively gentler jet.

Parachutes are the only way I can successfully drop from orbit on Kerbal, but I don't feel bad about it. But from landing on Mun I've learned that headlights aimed down at angles are super important for gauging distance. I wish laser range finders were an option as the distance from 'sea level' is not much use on the mun.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Playing ME series,your choices doesn't make such impact on the world. Are there any good rpg's which are of course fun to play and where choices actually matter ?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    But from landing on Mun I've learned that headlights aimed down at angles are super important for gauging distance. I wish laser range finders were an option as the distance from 'sea level' is not much use on the mun.
    This mod is really good for that sort of thing: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...Redux-v0-6-2-4

It adds a part (well, three parts) that add info displays; while you're building you can see the delta-v, mass, specific impulse and other data about your rocket, but when you're flying you can see things like your apoapsis and periapsis in real-time, absolute and relative altitude, time to land, delta-v (in seconds, so you can see how long you can sustain your current thrust level for - very helpful), that sort of thing. It's a bit sketchy, like if you load a rocket it sometimes won't actually show you any info, but when you get the hang of it it's one of those things that I hope will end up in the game itself. Having to fly from the map screen to see your apoapsis (and time to it) is ok, but you can't stage or see stage-by-stage fuel load so you have to switch between the two in case you need to jettison a stage, you know how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Playing ME series,your choices doesn't make such impact on the world. Are there any good rpg's which are of course fun to play and where choices actually matter ?
    Alpha "freaking" Protocol, it's probably the best G&C game. Just accept the mini games and enjoy it.

Fallout new Vegas is more 'fun' than elder scrolls, but then I found morrowind combat fun which apparently makes me wrong at everything.