Page 1073 of 1190 FirstFirst ... 735739731023106310711072107310741075108311231173 ... LastLast
Results 21,441 to 21,460 of 23785
    Network Hub
    Currently making my way through original-recipe Fallout. I'm actually having a lot of fun with it; there are some rather clunky mechanics (particularly in terms of movement), but the whole thing is much less dated than I thought it would be.

Network Hub
    Been playing a craptonne of Space Hulk. Its just like the boardgame, execpt i don't have to bribe the missus into it or clean all those frikkin tiles up after a crushing defeat.

Oh and you can't blow up your own flamer. Thats no fun.

i'm having fun with Dustforce.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Playing an unhealthy amount of Dragon Age: Origins. Have played it before but forgot how good the characters are. Old female wizard (spoiler:possesed by a benevolent demon), slutty male elf sellsword, heroic young warrior who is constantly teased for being dim, actually is quite clueless, also witty. Assassin minstrels from flowery foreign courts (who become nuns)! It has flaws but there is an awful lot of good stuff.

Wasn't sure if I would bother playing through it again before doing the DLC for the first time, probably will now. Glad I have work to do else it would hard to stop playing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    I think it was Ultimate Spider-Man: Requiem that showed how Ultimate Peter survived. In a nutshell: He was half-dead under a pile of rubble.

And Ultimate Peter's second (currently "real") death blows the first one out of the water. I was pissed that he got brought back, then I read The Death of Ultimate Spider-Man and just... wow. In fact, I think faking us out was the right move on Bendis's part, since it actually made it questionable if Peter WOULD die in that arc. It was obvious it was the end of Spider-Man (for now), but there were enough fakeouts and possible outs that Peter's survival became questionable in every direction. Would he be banned from being Spider-Man by Fury, Cap, or Aunt May? Would his identity be revealed and a forced retirement occur? Or would he die at "Peter Parker's Last Stand"? It was basically taking our expectations and using them against us.
    I read Requiem. But it's not like recaps and prologues went out-of-style. Bendis uses them all the time, but he didn't feel like doing it for the second set after bringing Parker back from the presumed dead. The reason this felt necessary was not to explain Peter being alive. That was fairly easy to understand--we never saw him die after all. What needed explanation was ... pretty much everything else about his relationship with the other characters and where he was at with them. As it ticked along, it started working again because damn did Bendis know those characters backwards and forwards. But there was a long slow start as their many interweavings felt kinda weird and forced and unexplained to me. Again, not unexplained as in unexposited. Unexplained as in discontinuous. It didn't feel like the past occurrences in the series mattered as much as I would have wanted until much later in the second set.

As for blowing the Ultimate Spiderman counterpart to Ultimatum out of the water? Blowing the gorgeous silent-film finale and Jonah Jameson's epilogue out of the water? We're going to have to agree to disagree.

The Death of Spiderman was a mess. Peter's moment-to-moment in it was well handled but by that point I was bored to tears of how awful and awfully uninteresting Osborn was and how mind-numbingly dull shield's antics were where before they had been interesting both in how they failed and how they succeeded. His actual death *scene* was well rendered and moving and didn't leave me angry or leave me feeling like it was a cheap shot or anything like that. The post-death sequences were fantastic, as well. Rather it's the overall build-up and context that felt odd and not-too-well handled to me. I don't feel like that fantastic series of sequences had proper backup and momentum going into it.

I'm also really disappointed with Ultimate Comics Spiderman as it currently stands. Morales is strong enough--I like him a lot. But ... urgh. The way he gets tied into the Spiderman legacy was awkward at best and the whole sub-plot with his uncle was a massive let-down. Here was a character who started out seeming like a complicated figure, someone who could be "bad" while still having his nephew's best interests at heart, self-interested but not cruel or disloyal. And as he developed he just became more and more of a villain and that was ... really, really distressing for me coming from the writer who managed to make Octavius such a complicated villain and managed to make Eddie Brock a spiteful asshole without making him feel villainous or incoherent and so on and so forth. The book is loaded with touches like that for me and it doesn't help that United We Stand was somewhat incoherent. I feel like Ultimate Comics Spiderman keeps undermining itself and that's a damn shame because I like Morales a lot--I think he's a cool character with his own shtick and it's never a bad thing to have more POC super heroes, either. And yet the books just don't work for me. Especially not compared to the fantastic work that precedes it in Ultimate Spiderman circa Peter Parker.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Playing an unhealthy amount of Dragon Age: Origins. Have played it before but forgot how good the characters are. Old female wizard (spoiler:possesed by a benevolent demon), slutty male elf sellsword, heroic young warrior who is constantly teased for being dim, actually is quite clueless, also witty. Assassin minstrels from flowery foreign courts (who become nuns)! It has flaws but there is an awful lot of good stuff.

Wasn't sure if I would bother playing through it again before doing the DLC for the first time, probably will now. Glad I have work to do else it would hard to stop playing.
    I might need to give it another shot, but with less power-gamy attitude. Made a mage, took 2 more into party. Made your own mage into a blood mage (maybe that was patched to be less bullshit?), Pop massive aoe's and then cone of cold into a group every 2 seconds from one of mages, permastun any amount (even most bosses).

Maybe should make a rogue or something and make do.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Graerth View Post
    Pop massive aoe's and then cone of cold into a group every 2 seconds from one of mages, permastun any amount (even most bosses).

My first playthrough also consisted of mostly mage AoEs and cone of cold (even though I played a warrior). >.< This time round my main is a rogue and I quite like the other rogue characters, so tempted to make a 3 rogue + mage for heals team. All the classes seem to have access to stun abilities, so I reckon you could probably get away with any mix of them. At the moment I'm using 1 tanky warrior, 2 rogues (1 ranged, 1 melee) and a mage.

Network Hub
    Playing Space Rangers 2 on my laptop. No other game in existence does what this one does, such a gem.

Playing FarCry2 as well for a second time, this time without saving during a mission. Really fun.

Going through AoW3 campaign, great game.

And that's about it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Started toying with docking in Kerbal, enjoying setting up refueling points. Not sure I'd find much point in building a station beyond orbital refueling. But as long as I set an 'fuel in' dock and a 'fuel out' dock. I will find it productive at least. Wonder if I can get up there with a space plane using mostly jets.

I've yet to unlock the kebodyne 'biggest' stuff but I'm sure that will allow for a revolutionary advance in how bloody big rockets are.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post

I was always surprised by how much crap people gave it's writing. It did so many interesting things ... sure, the surface layer was very archetypal but it dipped beneath that, subverted tropes, and had an incredible vocal cast to match a lot of interesting and interestingly connected characters.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    I was always surprised by how much crap people gave it's writing. It did so many interesting things ... sure, the surface layer was very archetypal but it dipped beneath that, subverted tropes, and had an incredible vocal cast to match a lot of interesting and interestingly connected characters.
    One man's treasure and all that. Sorry, I found little if anything about it interesting, let alone subversive. And a talented vocal cast doesn't sell me on a game alone any more than they would a film starring great actors where I find the characters dull/annoying/repellent, etc.
    I post photos here. I write stories here. I'm on Twitter here.

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    One man's treasure and all that. Sorry, I found little if anything about it interesting, let alone subversive. And a talented vocal cast doesn't sell me on a game alone any more than they would a film starring great actors where I find the characters dull/annoying/repellent, etc.
    I think we're using different aspects of the word "subversive."

I wouldn't, based on the connotation of that word, call it subversive by any stretch of the imagination. I would, however, say it subverts quite a few standard fantasy tropes in interesting ways. Not in subversive ways, though.

You clearly wouldn't agree in any case, but I felt like clarifying.

You've also utterly misunderstood me on the acting point. The point wasn't that they're good at their jobs but that they did a good job with DA:O. The performances were well executed. They played the characters well and brought life to them. There are good, experienced actors not being terrible (Downton Abbey, The Departed) and then there are good performances (Fringe, Aviator). I'm saying DA:O has good performances. Again, you don't have to agree but the manner in which you disagreed made me feel I ought to clarify.

It's not like you have to think the performance was worthwhile to think it's good either. There were bad lines and uninteresting characters performed quite well and utterly awful plot threads in which individual performances were fantastic.

I happened to actually enjoy Origins once the combat stopped and even sometimes when the combat was rolling ... but there are games I didn't where I still feel the game gets knocked because of faulty metrics as much as because it actually generates unpleasant and/or not-awesome experiences. We can't hold games to the same standards as films and books when counting up how many low points and high points it has not just because it's a "different" medium, but because the scale and authorship is so different. Not that you're doing that, but my expression of surprise is not that *some* people (say, you) didn't like it as much as I did, but how much shit it got across the board given how finely tuned and well crafted portions of it are. It was ten times more bizarre and intricate and nuanced than half the DnD based games everyone raves about for story and character and yet it got ten times the shit for being boring and overwrought and having annoying characters. It baffles me in the large scale, not on a personal scale between two people such as you and me. As you say, one man's trash.

P.S. A further point of clarification. It's not that I don't get that my opinion about the game might not be relatively normal. It's that the game shares so much in common with so many games that get praised for *the things they share in common* with DA:O in the same circles where DA:O gets shit for those same things (see: how much more glowing people are of Mass Effect's characters and relationships than of DA:O for one of the easiest examples, and how much more glowing people are of the grim-dark-ified fantasy staples in The Witcher). And that's weird to me. So while individual people might have critically relevant issues with DA:O I think it gets a lot of crap because of some odd social phenomenon. Maybe, were that phenomenon absent, it would still be on average liked WAY less than I liked it. But I get this weird feeling about the way it's not liked whereas Fallout 3? I totally dig why people don't feel the same way about that game as I do.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 15-05-2014 at 01:40 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by smullyoz View Post
    Playing Space Rangers 2 on my laptop. No other game in existence does what this one does, such a gem.

Playing FarCry2 as well for a second time, this time without saving during a mission. Really fun.

Going through AoW3 campaign, great game.

And that's about it.
    Make sure you're playing the Reboot ​edition for Space Rangers 2; comes with the expansion pack and the first game.

Network Hub
    Star Wars: Dark Forces.

It's fun, in a nostalgia kind of way. The level design is horrendous, as it should be for an early 90s game. I have just completed the sewer level where you have to flick a switch, go through the sewer system to flick another switch, return to the first area, flick the switch again, go through the sewer system to flick another switch, return to the first area and flick the first switch again.... while fighting an endless amount of droids/sewer monsters armed only with my fists as I had run out of ammo.

Still, it killed an hour or so. I fired up Dark Forces 2, but it doesn't seem to want to run at the moment. I'll try later, probably.

Aside from that, I finally got into the Dark Mod last night. Wow, I'm really impressed with what they've created. I haven't played anything other than the tutorial so far as I've been getting to grips with the controls and I also spent a lot of time getting the brightness/gamma settings to my liking. It's very atmospheric when you hit the sweet spot. I'll try a mission or two when this evening, any recommendations?

edit: Also, the combat in TDM is actually worse than the original Thief games. This is good though, we don't want to be tempted in to combat now, do we? Is it intentionally diabolical? I reckon it might be.
    Last edited by Mittens89; 15-05-2014 at 12:07 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    "And now, the Duck of Death is as good as dead. Because Corky does it right. He aims real careful, no hurry..."

Anyone playing A Fistful of Frags? It's free on Steam, and great Western deathmatch fun.

Obscure Node
    ArcheAge, ArcheAge and more ArcheAge. I haven't played and enjoyed an MMO for quite some time, I'd say the last one was when Guild Wars 2 released I really enjoyed levelling to cap then the content fell off and I instantly lost interest (so disappointing as a Guild Wars player for 5 years.)

Brief thoughts: Nothing revolutionary, just lots of the good bits of sandbox/themepark MMOs brought together with much greater detail. There is a lot of depth to all of the systems in the game. For example; dancing, there are three (or four?) overall styles, then you can change each animation by moving in any direction including jumping, add in many of the 30 or so other emotes (like clap, cry, wave, frustrated, etc) and it'll incorporate it into the dance. If 6 people do the same dance close-by disco lights appear.

Another example of a taken for granted feature is mounts. You have to raise your mount from a baby to mature (quick process), then it levels with you (very slow) and obtains a few different abilities that vary depending on which mount you have. Not to mention there are gliders, horses, donkeys, big cats, battle pets, tractors, kangaroo-like things... racecars, a number of boats of different sizes, submarines.

The best comparison I can make is that this game is a fantasy EVE. It's got a deep economy and crafting system, trade routes, naval battles, pirates, crime, property and castles, poltiics, alliances, enemy factions... then of course all the other stuff like levelling, quests, etc.

I may be crazy for spending so much to buy into an Alpha (something I would never have imagined doing), but the fact of the matter is I've been watching this game for a long time and I have the money to play it right now and don't regret it one bit.
    Last edited by crainey92; 15-05-2014 at 12:48 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Graerth View Post
    I might need to give it another shot, but with less power-gamy attitude. Made a mage, took 2 more into party. Made your own mage into a blood mage (maybe that was patched to be less bullshit?), Pop massive aoe's and then cone of cold into a group every 2 seconds from one of mages, permastun any amount (even most bosses).

Warrors are by far the weakest class if you want something pedestrian. A well specced Rogue deals the most damage in the game. You can one shot most things. I did a solo run as a rogue, could kill an Ogre in three clicks after reaching level 8 or so. A well specced anything in DA:O will be ludicrously poweful, but Warriors attributes nearly all veer towards tanking and sustaining damage over inflicting it, so you're less likely to just annihilate people when you sneeze.

That said, a poorly speeced anything will do very little so if you're worried about being OP just don't put too much thought into it when you level up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    "And now, the Duck of Death is as good as dead. Because Corky does it right. He aims real careful, no hurry..."

Anyone playing A Fistful of Frags? It's free on Steam, and great Western deathmatch fun.
    "I was lucky in the order, but I've always been lucky when it comes to killin' folks."

I say TB's WTF Is, it looks interesting. Is there anything to do other than deathmatch?
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    "I was lucky in the order, but I've always been lucky when it comes to killin' folks."

I say TB's WTF Is, it looks interesting. Is there anything to do other than deathmatch?
    Team deathmatch... More is on the way, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Nah not much else, only deathmatch and team deathmatch at this time. Its fast-paced arena-based twitch-reflex drop-in and play for a few rounds. Most of the appeal is in the western setting and the guns. Duel-wield, fanning, hats, it’s all here. I usually get to the top of the leaderboard, where as something like Chivalry which requires way more effort and coordination, just brutalizes me.