Page 1085 of 1258 FirstFirst ... 855859851035107510831084108510861087109511351185 ... LastLast
Results 21,681 to 21,700 of 25157
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vdwd View Post
    It can indeed be frustrated if you have to leave without finishing a quest or finding a new area to load, but the advantage of the respawning of enemies is that you can grind them for loot.
    Right, that's fine. But there are waypoints/checkpoints that you come back into the game at when your character dies, so there doesn't seem to me to be a compelling reason not to use those positions. When loading the game you could then choose between the nearest camp/town and the checkpoint closest to your last session. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    Wow, that sucks, I didn't realise that was a thing that you could do. As for the save system, it is a bit annoying but none of the areas are that big ...
    The spoil wasn't that big (after all, what game doesn't give you the option to defeat the Big Bad?) but it still struck me as odd that the fast-travel map opens up the post-game DLC so early.

As for the save-game system, I'm sure I'll keep it in mind now that I've been on the receiving end of the system one too many times, so in that sense it should be less of a problem in future sessions.

The plus side is that the game itself is quite fun.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    :D It's a cool feeling, even if the game isn't great. And the game is great.
    I don't like ME1 and didn't like the way the ending of 3 resolved (not so much the three colours business, just didn't like some of the story threads)... and I still couldn't stop myself from shivering thinking "Wow. It's actually over". In a good way, I mean. Even if the franchise is still going ME3 was still the end of something, in a way that's still very rare for videogames. Much as I love Assassin's Creed (more than Mass Effect, really) and actually enjoy the demented future storyline the end of the Desmond Saga wasn't even close in terms of impact.
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Finished up Sniper Elite V2's campaign in co-op, it was a lot of fun. y only real complaint would be that some of the missions got a little over-linear, but the DLC missions appear to be wide open so those will be fun to try.

I've run out of progression in Race the Sun, but still find myself making a few runs a day just for the fun of it. The daily dynamic world generation does a marvelous job of keeping it fresh, and the sense of speed and fluidity is just hugely satisfying.

Also been back to Rise of Nations again. I'm really pleased to see this one getting a digital release shortly, it's still the best base building RTS out there. Great AI, great soundtrack, great mechanics, I've been playing it for 10 years off and on and I still find new things now and then.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    I've gone back to Dungeon Siege III to try and finally finish it. A strange little game, this. Solid enough, if simplistic - it's hardly the deepest ARPG around but the combat's fun and it's a damn sight more entertaining than the originals, with their endless potion chugging. It's just for all the neon pink explosions, the verve to the writing, the sense of humour, the way it still looks pretty good for a three-year-old game, you can't help but think it's a shame Obsidian had to bother. For all their effort (an Obsidian game without hideous bugs! Gasp!) it still feels like a whole lot of nothing underneath, sometimes, as if they'd taken the most generic adolescent fantasy imaginable and strained to turn it into an interesting setting because the suits at Squenix told them to, no other reason.

Also, Jesus Christ that boss at the bottom of the mines was terrible. Literally could not do anything to it - I had no option but to go running around endlessly to get away from it because if I stopped for half a second to try and pull off an attack its creeps were all over me in an instant. I had to leg it for nigh on five minutes straight and hope the AI could manage to stay alive and kill the damn thing for me (which it did, in the end, thankfully). That was perilously close to flat-out, brutally unfair, and I dread to think what it's like on higher difficulties.
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I finished Transistor, which I love. Great art, great music, great systems. I loved the setting, and I am grateful that not everything is spelled out. The ending was a great culmination to the main characters' arc.

Lesser Hivemind Node TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Finished the last mission in Thief after a couple of weeks of a break, I loved the game. Gorgeous, atmospheric and just enough thief-y for my taste.
    Finished Dishonored - Brigmore Witches just now and I can finally put the game to rest. I had a great 30 hours with it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Tried out KSP sandbox for the first time, discovered the impulse drives. And started trying to build flip proof rovers, keeping the centre of gravity low but avoiding clipping rubble is a challenge, I like the lightest lander can's viewport, I think I could use that for docking if I set it alighting to the docks. Good for driving too.

Ultimately I'm struggling to find purpose outside of needing MOAR research points. I know that I have a list of desires like setting up an aircraft carrier you can refuel from (and big enough to land on obviously). It wouldn't need be be oceanic, indeed it could be a land crawler but since there is little to no articulation it'd need to be rigid.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

@gwathdring

What I mean is the level design goal is about getting out of places. Your ideal fps is about killing everything

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    @gwathdring

What I mean is the level design goal is about getting out of places. Your ideal fps is about killing everything
    Ideal? Why? Just because it's a first-person perspective? Also, again, I don't think "getting out of places" is sufficient condition for a puzzle. Half Life is arguably about getting out of places, too. Just with more reliance on your left mouse button and less on your spacebar. That distinction does not, to me, a puzzle make.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Ideal? Why? Just because it's a first-person perspective? Also, again, I don't think "getting out of places" is sufficient condition for a puzzle. Half Life is arguably about getting out of places, too. Just with more reliance on your left mouse button and less on your spacebar. That distinction does not, to me, a puzzle make.
    Similarly, games like Bulletstorm essentially ARE puzzle games even though they are all about killing things. They are about finding the perfect route that optimizes ammo usage and points.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Just finished 1000 Amps yesterday, a really nicely done indie game. Recommended to everyone who want to work their brain cells a bit :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by hijazma View Post
    Just finished 1000 Amps yesterday, a really nicely done indie game. Recommended to everyone who want to work their brain cells a bit :)
    I really enjoyed it as far as I got - but there came a time where I'd looked in a LOT of places and had no idea where to go next - wasn't entirely sure if I was missing an upgrade - generally lost the will to continue thereafter...

Finally got to play Dark Scavenger! \o/ wait, I'm not really that sold on the actual game, but I'm liking the writing/humor a lot.

And, I might be mouse-challenged because Galcon Legends works better on a touchscreen for me. Also played recently: Breach & Clear I posted a longer comment in the bundle thread about it. Beatbuddy, cute and groovy and everything else but still gave up on some buggy-being-chased sequence I kept failing at. Famaze, very nice OST (not included) by Disasterpeace but the actual game..? hmmmm. Yet Another Zombie Defense which might actually turn out to be not so bad but still needs a LOT of work. Full Bore, so terribly cute it breaks my heart I can't click with it. Retro/Grade which put a smile on my face, as a brilliant/hilarious premise (how many games start with credits and in a won state?), and a pretty nice rhythm game. Avencast, nice game but horrible puzzles, beware of sidequests!

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Hmm, I wonder...
    It's a free country, pal!
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I dived into the demo (which I just found today) of Planet Explorers (Early Access Steam game - demo on developer website) - I'd sort-of-fancied it for a while so I was pleased to find I could try-it-out.

Hmmm

There's much to like but there's also some really, really crude aspects of it. Character design, dialogue etc. is very, very generic/dull/characterless in particular. I realise you're supposed to make anything you want in-the-game but I'd like to start by caring about myself/the place I'm in (and that's hard, right now)

So you're colonising a planet and you crash instead of landing - and so you're making tools ala Minerraria etc. - there's wildlife, so you kill it of course - there's quests which are a bit weird (one guy got really angry when I accepted his quest!?) - you can create servers and share your world - you know the drill by now.

There's the bones of a nice game there - a sort of 'Star Trek Away Team-craft-erraria' but you have to wonder if they'll ever actually get the thing to a remotely finished state- there's a LOT to do from where it is right now - some bits feel like they just dropped random assets in, other bits have a sense of 'craft' to them - it's just odd.

I gave-up eventually because it was kicking-the-living-shit out of my PC. It ran my CPU and GPU at 98%+ solidly no matter what settings I chose (which they acknowledge as an optimisation issue) - it's a nice evening here and I don't want my PC to turn into a space heater!!

p.s. I switched to Under the Ocean but I soon realised I didn't want to fuck around making tools and shit AGAIN - and I was thereafter nibbled-to-death by a crab. I will never get survival games...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Yet more Borderlands 2, also Broforce.

Broforce is hilarious, if a little samey, and I think I've unlocked all the bros there are as well as finished the campaign, so I think I'll put it on the Early Access shelf for games I love but don't want to burn out on before it's even finished, I kind of did that with Payday 2 since they changed half of the game post-release.

In Borderlands 2 I've now completed 21 full playthroughs - story quests, that is, I've got a long list of unfinished and undiscovered side quests - and today/tonight I finished the main quests of the Torgue DLC with Salvador and started the four Headhunter packs I'd not yet tried with various characters (Son of Crawmerax with Krieg, Wattle Gobbler with Gaige, Mercenary Day and Wedding Day Massacre with Salvador). Not much to say, really, I shot a load of stuff in the face, compared some arrows and died a lot because stuff I didn't quite manage to shoot enough went and hid behind things.

If the s in fps still stands for fps your goal is shooting people before they shoot you. Half life has loads of puzzles yes. Mirrors Edge is a platformer you play like a maze with extremely easy chase segments and bigger climbing parts. And messed directions.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Similarly, games like Bulletstorm essentially ARE puzzle games even though they are all about killing things. They are about finding the perfect route that optimizes ammo usage and points.

I'd think of ammo etc as hidden help from devs also used to direct players

I mean that's why ammos are there as indirect control on players and to balance difficulty, I'm not saying bs is a puzzle
    Last edited by Wenz; 02-06-2014 at 11:35 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Anyone else think Paper Sorcererís dungeon roaming music wouldn't be out of place in Faster Than Light, while the shop tune sounds like Final Fantasy 8ís Deling city?

Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    I'd think of ammo etc as hidden help from devs also used to direct players
    Bulletstorm is absolutely not a puzzle, it is a dance. Their are many interpretations and the playwright had something in mind, and if you dance just the basic actions it's boring.

Damn shame the sequel was canned. Bulletstorm wasn't 'good' just like Assassins Creed wasn't good what both had in spades was room to grow as a series.

Also you play as an alcoholic Wolverine.

I just wanted to get this off my chest.

Hitman Absolution has a bit where 47 has to shimmy sideways in a motel through a gap, it's the only non ledge shimmying I remember. The camera is fixed forwards, 47 is moving left, but you have to press right to move... WTH