Page 1090 of 1136 FirstFirst ... 9059099010401080108810891090109110921100 ... LastLast
Results 21,781 to 21,800 of 22712
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Finished Arcanum.

Not sure what to write here, everyone knows it's a huge mess, lovable but broken game with interesting but under-developed setting, good music and of course plenty of bugs both minor and game-breaking to the point of ruining entire main quest line. I still enjoyed it, of course. It's one of the few games that let me build superweapons out of what was left in the trashbin and then murder elves and mages. But still combat is horrible, both real-time and turn-based modes are broken beyond belief.

The exploits are the most valid tactics here because as a gunslinger I am fucked in both modes until way too far in the game. How broken is combat? During turnbased combat you can craft one hundred molotovs and throw at the enemy. All in one turn. Then you can run away and switch to real-time. Shoot at them with guns while they advance. Bonus - slow enemies have huge amount of TU's so kiting them is only possible in real-time. And so you shoot, run away and repeat. But actually fighting as a ranged non-mage character is a suicide. Most fights happen in tiny little corridors and there is no way to use the range advantage. To fix that problem there are two things. Dog and dodge skill. Because Dodge is even more broken and Dog is a physical melee god. With right dex and above average dodge skill you are almost invulnerable. But some enemies have high dodge too! A local half-orc thief is a bigger threat than some legendary creatures you find in this game. Because even if you have a 100+ chance of hitting him he will still dodge repeatedly. So it is more advantageous for a gunfighter to put some skill points into melee/dodge and club people to death while stockpiling schematics and hoarding bullets, and then the game ends.

Some things are flat out disappointing or just bad. Choosing a gunfighter as a character was a huge mistake. Cities are no good. Even Tarant is pretty damn empty despite being huge. Other ones are almost an afterthought. Only few houses in this game have more than one person inside. Often it's a shopkeeper. He has a chest inside his room. And thats all. The magic vs tech concept is barely realised in the game. Most quests are completely forgottable. Power armor is not as good as I hoped. Finding locations is a huge pain. I didn't notice many skill/stats options in dialogue. And the plot is, well, not good in any way. Especially the ending which is a number of encounters with "mythical" characters and the dialogue in the vein of "oh hello, I am god, or at least you worship me, now go do a fetch quest for me, grab that device here( marks on the map)". Nothing to write home about. And it is also ugly as hell, I find even Fallout more visually attractive.

It could have been a much better game.
    Last edited by coldvvvave; 06-06-2014 at 06:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Finished Transistor last night.

First, its quite good. Unique and memorable art style. A new and unique combat system. Ample customization and memorabkle voice work and characters. It also harkens back to Bastion with its "colorful calamity" type of setting.

As for the narrative and ending...you just have to play it. Not sure i liked the ending. But the narrative itself was rather good, if sparse. As in Bastion, the mystery is unraveled slowly, over the course of the game. And the villains are revealed to have real, if highly subjective and questionable - not to mention selfish - motives. But they did have motives that mattered to them, at least; more than we see in most games.

All in all i enjoyed the game. It plays fast. It forgoes the tired death and reload system for something that makes failure matter - the more you have your health reduced to Zero the harder things will get - and because of this it really keeps the game moving.

Which brings me to my main reason for enjoying it: I miss the characters. The world. The game is over in time to leave you wanting to see more of this world. It does not overstay its welcome nor last long enough to wear out its mechanics. In fact I doubt most folks will play it more than 6 hours per play through, and in a single one you will likely not even test all the possible combinatikons of moves and abilities available.

Transistor was a genuinely unique and beautiful experience that plays quick, keeps up the pace and does not overstay the welcome. I absolutely do not regret paying full price for it, despite clocking in only 8 hours of play time (with roughly 45min - 1hr actually spent with it idling, so about 7hrs play time). It was a week worth of evenings well spent indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    As for the narrative and ending...you just have to play it. Not sure i liked the ending. But the narrative itself was rather good, if sparse. As in Bastion, the mystery is unraveled slowly, over the course of the game. And the villains are revealed to have real, if highly subjective and questionable - not to mention selfish - motives. But they did have motives that mattered to them, at least; more than we see in most games.
    Bastion communicated this a lot better. When I finished it the first time I only got an inkling on what it was really about, and now that I'm 75% through my second run I still don't get it. There's all this sinister stuff going on but on A) what is their goal and B) how do they plan to achieve it I'm still drawing a blank.

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Bastion communicated this a lot better. When I finished it the first time I only got an inkling on what it was really about, and now that I'm 75% through my second run I still don't get it. There's all this sinister stuff going on but on A) what is their goal and B) how do they plan to achieve it I'm still drawing a blank.
    I haven't got Transistor yet, but I have to say I didn't understand squat about Bastion's story when I played it! Could be because at that time I was looking for a job and I was stressed, could be because I didn't pay much attention, or maybe it just didn't make much sense overall to me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Finished Arcanum.
    Pretty excellent summary of Arcanum, right there. I still think fondly of it, but yeah, it could have been something so much more than it was, and I think that's a large part of why I gave it so much latitude back when I was playing it myself.

Lone Survivor didn't do it for me at all. When I got out of the building I realised I was basically waiting for it to end, and when I found more game behind it I figured I'd had enough.
    I think it resonated strongly with me because I was going through a time of bad physical pain while playing it.

Between the gameplay issues and the disturbing setting I almost gave up on it.

I think we're pretty much on the same page regarding Dust, though I very much enjoyed the voice acting. I can't say the writing grows much beyond having interesting ideas to begin with.
    Oh, but I don't have anything against the voice acting, there's nothing wrong with it (even Fidget is mostly OK, although the delivery is a bit too high pitched for my taste). Rather, what they've been saying so far does not seem interesting enough that I feel like waiting for the actors to read it aloud.

But your comment seems to confirm it gets better later. I think someone here described it as having an "unexpectedly dark twist".
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That, to me, is the big thing you don't get told. I'm totally OK with that. There's never any harm in leaving some mysteries. I mean, you end up knowing a fair bit about each of the Camerata. You have a pretty good sense of the means they had available. I feel like I have an idea, but it's vague. A mystery.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    I am very touched that after 3 years, there are still so many players staying with Battlefield 3. I've been forced out by the stupid Origin account management system, but now I am back. It really is a huge step advanced from the aged Bad Company 2.

Duels of the Planeswalkers was free on Steam, yesterday and... huh. Now I want a Magic deck.

I initially thought the game would be much harder for to understand the basics of it but I'm actually getting a grasp of it pretty quick. I wished I had a water deck, sometimes
    Last edited by Voon; 07-06-2014 at 04:57 AM.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    Finished Arcanum.
    Looks like I have to bump up the dodge skill in that case. no shit playing a ranged non-mage is suicide
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    heh. yeah. arcanum is broken. never got far with gunslinger. but as mage my tactic often included spamming harm till my character dropped to ground. by spamming it i could get to negative endurance allowing me to do much higher damage than normally i would have been able to.
    then would wait for my endurance come back.

i still love this game and dear god i want to see arcanum 2 or remake ala xcom.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Still playing through XCOM:EW for the first time and all the talk towards the end of the game about what humanity is becoming and the impact alien technology will have on us, plus the RPS E3 predictions article, have got me thinking.

I would love to see a sequel/expansion called XCOM: Enemy Territory or something. Following on from the events of XCOM, you are basically hunting down alien bases, first on the Moon or Mars or something, then further and further away from the solar system. Until you are invading the alien homeworld to wipe them out forever. Full role reversal from the beginning of the game, going completely Starship Troopers. It could be amazing!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Gosh, that's not my take on xcom, the aliens are toying with us, if we really had a war we'd be dead on minutes.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    My take was that it was all they had. That they are, in a straight up fight, absolutely weaker than us, and their strength is that they don't give one. That's why everything's cloaked and concealed and their greatest strengths are in terror missions and mind control. If you lose, you see that it's a mind-controlled advisor that shuts Xcom down, forcing earth to shut down its one unified agency, and rely on conventional, nationally organised big-guns armies and brute force that they can safely undermine, divide, and conquer. They need earth and its inhabitants alive and under their control, because without our numbers and the planets resources, they go extinct.

But that's just my take from casually overthinking things. (the remake specifically, I only played some of terror from the deep in my youngest years, and none of the others.) It's not like the plot's detailed enough to really back much up.

Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    That, to me, is the big thing you don't get told. I'm totally OK with that. There's never any harm in leaving some mysteries. I mean, you end up knowing a fair bit about each of the Camerata. You have a pretty good sense of the means they had available. I feel like I have an idea, but it's vague. A mystery.
    If it's supposed to remain a mystery, what was the point of having Asher Kendrell expositing the whole time you're going up to him? I think they could have put his monologuing to better use.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    My take was that it was all they had. That they are, in a straight up fight, absolutely weaker than us, and their strength is that they don't give one. That's why everything's cloaked and concealed and their greatest strengths are in terror missions and mind control. If you lose, you see that it's a mind-controlled advisor that shuts Xcom down, forcing earth to shut down its one unified agency, and rely on conventional, nationally organised big-guns armies and brute force that they can safely undermine, divide, and conquer. They need earth and its inhabitants alive and under their control, because without our numbers and the planets resources, they go extinct.

But that's just my take from casually overthinking things. (the remake specifically, I only played some of terror from the deep in my youngest years, and none of the others.) It's not like the plot's detailed enough to really back much up.
    Slight spoilers next for Xcom! (I know, who cares about the plot)
    Nu Xcom is quite straightforward with the idea that they were moulding us. The ethereals were looking for a race that could have both physical and psiotic prowess. They were testing us and leading us onto a path. Obviously this is if you finish the game. If you lose maybe humanity ends up as another failed experiment like the rest of the alien races you face.
    Why? Who knows? Maybe to defeat Cthulhu from TFtD.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Played Magic 2014 as it was free on Steam this weekend and I was waiting for another game to download. It started off bad because the game was incapable of detecting my desktop resolution, which led to all kinds of back-and-forth with minimizing and maximizing. It then dumped me straight into the tutorial without offering me a chance to change the settings. Once that was all sorted, I got into an actual game. That was decent enough, though somewhat confusing given my unfamiliarity with the basic rules and setting. I don't think this is really my kind of game, as I had expected from playing the Hearthstone card-game. Say what you will about Blizzard and its 'noob-friendly' Warcraft game, but that is beautifully intuitive and the action is very well visualised indeed.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Finished the main story Watch Dogs. Asides from the myriad technical issues it wasn't so bad. I'd just wish (most) open world games would just move away from the whole generic side missions bullshit. As it is, there's no reason to take a loot at this game ever again.

Started Murdered: Soul Suspect. So. many. fucking. collectibles. Give me the whole story without the need for OCD behaviour please.

Network Hub
    I played a bit of Magic 2014 as well.

I think as a card game it's better than Hearthstone, the types of land (compared with just 'mana') and the blocking mechanic adds a bit of depth to the gameplay. I haven't played enough to see how the deckbuilding compares to Hearthstone though.

The advantage of Hearthstone is it's just a much better computer game, the play of Magic is just so clunky. Just doing anything like browing through your cards to see what they do (zooming all of the way in, arrowing through them, zooming back out) is just so much slower than Hearthstone, the turns as so slow while everything processes.

Hearthstone is a mediocre card game that is well executed as a PC game, Magic is a great card game with a pretty poor PC implementation.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    About Transistor:

I got the feeling that one reason why the Camerata's actual goals were never revealed, was that they themselves had never agreed on an end game. Sure they wanted to change the city, and they had the tools to do it. But they seemed...unstable, in a way. As if, despite sharing a larger overarching goal, they disagreed on several smaller things, such as means, degree, etc. I think we never learned their overarching goals, because they lost control of their tool before they themselves could even define one. And I am ok with that remaining a mystery.

As for Watch Dogs (which I will admittedly probably never buy):

I too wish open world games would drop missions. Just...give me the world. Support characters. Bad guys with real hideouts, offices, protectors and AI routines. And turn me loose. Let me find the clues I need to figure out (one of the many) viable paths to taking down the big bads. No more script; no more missions; no more linear "story" at all. With its hacking and spying themes, I think such a structure would have catapulted Watch Dogs to actual Greatness. Alas, Ubi remains in love with their set piece moments, no matter how much they drag a game down. And they dragged down AC 4 to the point where I can't buy their games until they change something.

As for playing right now: XCOM:EW, with the Long War mod. And wow does it change things. Three battles in; three rookies KIA and two more injured. Moreover, those first three battles take place in 3 in game days, and each requires a fresh, green squad of rookies, since with Long War soldiers need 4 days rest between missions, even when not injured.

Other changes includes more and tougher enemies, longer research periods and more difficulty obtaining Meld. Getting to Mechanized troops will be slow going indeed with this mod. The mod adds additional tools, too, like Flashbang grenades and other such items an elite force should have in plenty before ever hitting the field. But then it stretches out the entire game, not just the early game, and does it in a believable way.

If you choose to go with Long War, plan on a protracted campaign, and using a myriad of tools and classes. Every battle will see you bringing scanners, flashbang grenades and scopes, and using flanking and believable squad tactics. Or, you can you lose a lot of soldiers.