Page 1093 of 1258 FirstFirst ... 935939931043108310911092109310941095110311431193 ... LastLast
Results 21,841 to 21,860 of 25147
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I've been playing through FEAR 3 in co-op and enjoying it to a reasonable extent. The B-horror movie antics are mildly amusing, the ambiance is occasionally legitimately creepy, and the possession mechanics surrounding Fettel are actually quite a lot of fun. It also looks like it's not going to overstay it's welcome, so in all I'd give it a tentative thumbs up.

Other than that I've been playing short burst stuff while procrastinating:

I picked up Hexcells in the Steam weekly sale (ah Steambux) and have been enjoying it, though it mostly makes me want to dig out my DS and play more Picross. Still, it's clever enough, and the difficulty seems to be ramping up nicely.

I still take a few runs at Race the Sun on a daily basis, because I feel compelled to keep pushing to see how far I can get and the newly generated world each day keeps things reasonably fresh. I wish they'd fix the leaderboards, though.

And I picked up Draw a Stickman Epic from the latest Humble Bundle and started it with the intention of mining out the cards, but actually discovered a surprisingly clever and entertaining puzzle game in the process. It's much, much more clever than it has any right to be, and I find myself compelled to try and finish it.

I feel like Trading Cards are training me to play any game for 2 or 3 hours tops and then never look at it again.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    I feel like Trading Cards are training me to play any game for 2 or 3 hours tops and then never look at it again.
    To be honest, I usually just idle for them so as to avoid that effect. This is really the exception, but at least I ended up enjoying it so much I actually want to finish it. No harm done!

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    I usually only do that with games that are included in a bundle I bought, but would never have played otherwise. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised and keep playing that game, sometimes I'll just leave it idling because the game bores me even within those 2 or 3 hours.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Half-Life's is actually one of those games that just encouraging me to shoot and run as fast as possible while trying to figure out how to get to the other side by jumping on top of floating crates or giant nutcrackers. (seriously, Black Mesa. Who do you hire to build this facility anyway? Does that guy hate stairs or something? )

Totaly a whole different game from it's sequel. Where HL2 is all about looking around the levels trying to go around obstacles in a creative way, this game's level design isn't really up to the 'creative' way but rather actually dumb. Think giant fans and hitting planks with a crowbar trying to escape. At least thr shooting's better. Far more variety for the enemies.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Assassins Creed 3 and stop me if you've heard this before. The missions are linear, instafail stealth and poorly flagged boundaries. The game is huge, just imagine they put more satisfying games I'm these towns. I'm still with Haytham who I am told is the 'good bit' but I still feel like the lack of freedom baffling. Walk towards waypoint, watch cutscene, fight, watch cutscene repeat.
    Maybe I'm being unfair but I've had a run of mediocre games I played for too long and life is short.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    To be honest, I usually just idle for them so as to avoid that effect. This is really the exception, but at least I ended up enjoying it so much I actually want to finish it. No harm done!
    Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    I usually only do that with games that are included in a bundle I bought, but would never have played otherwise. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised and keep playing that game, sometimes I'll just leave it idling because the game bores me even within those 2 or 3 hours.
    The boring/notmycuppa games are the easy ones though. Currently, I have a try anything, keep playing until out of interest or cards policy. Regardless, the cards category is never running out of games.

Bottom line, even though I've resisted so far, SAM is looking more and more like the wise move. It feels like cheating to me, but with existing games adding cards all the time it looks like there's no light at the end of the tunnel.

In other news I've tried Journey of a Roach which is far from the Machinarium indebted thing John seemed to think it was. First, it's not artsy at all, more like a cute cartoon for kids. And second, the gameplay is completely different: like the Cat Lady it relies on a WASD control scheme, but unlike TCL, it's not a gimmick because you are in a 3D environment that can and has to be navigated to solve puzzles. Plus, since the main character is, well, a roach, you can walk on walls and ceiling.

The final result is something that plays and feels different from both the traditional PnC adventure game and the flash games inspired by it. It's not a revolution by any stretch of the imagination, but certainly a refreshing change, and deserves a thumbs up for that.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    I got Race the Sun with a humble bundle that I bought for Guns of Icarus a couple weeks back. I'm not a big fan of endless runners/racers, but it turned out to be quite enjoyable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I picked up Hexcells in the Steam weekly sale (ah Steambux) and have been enjoying it, though it mostly makes me want to dig out my DS and play more Picross. Still, it's clever enough, and the difficulty seems to be ramping up nicely.
    I picked up the second game and am currently playing it. It adds some new mechanics that really mess with my head in a way the first game never did. I love it.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Assassins Creed 3 and stop me if you've heard this before. The missions are linear, instafail stealth and poorly flagged boundaries. The game is huge, just imagine they put more satisfying games I'm these towns. I'm still with Haytham who I am told is the 'good bit' but I still feel like the lack of freedom baffling. Walk towards waypoint, watch cutscene, fight, watch cutscene repeat.
    Maybe I'm being unfair but I've had a run of mediocre games I played for too long and life is short.
    My thoughts exactly. I went through all the AC games (besides 4 - waiting for Steam Sale) without playing anything between, and 3 is easily the worst. Revelations started good, was mostly slow, but picked up at the end, Brotherhood is by far the best (though Unity looks like it might displace it), but 3 was just dull.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I stopped cold around where you are and could never bring myself to go back for basically every reason you've stated. It's just a chore to play, and I've got better uses for my time than that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    I saw all the reasons people gave for not liking Assassin's Creed III and, eh, I don't know, they just didn't bother me anything like as much as they did all these other people and I don't really know why. I'm not undiscerning (I mean, Christ, I've been accused of hating everything on this forum more than once). I can see the problems are almost objectively problems, and I don't blame people for not wanting to give it any more of their time. But I really, really liked it pretty much from start to finish. It's not my favourite AC (that would be Black Flag), but it's far from my least favourite either (that would probably be 1). And again, I liked it much, much more than Far Cry 3, which I will maintain 'til my dying day was execrable and one of the most over-rated games in years.

I've been replaying The Witcher 2 and, well, pretty much all of my opinions from when I first played it still stand. It's a very pretty, very entertaining but overall fairly empty popcorn action RPG which does any number of things AAA games routinely get rubbished for, but because it's from CDP it gets a free pass because the internet has decided they can do no wrong. It's simplistic, it's relatively shallow, it's frequently confusingly or outright poorly told... I cannot believe no-one's ever taken it to task for the story being almost dependent on having read all five books for it to make proper sense - no, seriously, shut up, it is, and yet at the same time it wastes some of the best plot threads from the novels. And it's still plagued by any number of the same gameplay shortcomings that cropped up in nigh on every RPG going (good to see Letho's still the same cheap, pathetically designed boss fight he always was. Tried three times, thought "Life's too short", turned down the difficulty until I'd whipped him).

I do like it. Technically it dates really well - it is visibly dated, but it's still impressive. It is still fun, for all its shortcomings, both the experience of playing and the experience of sitting through the story. For every cringe-worthy moment there's usually a lovely bit of VA and/or writing to balance it out. (Usually.) I want to finish it again. But yeah, I remain utterly convinced the rapturous reception it was afforded on release was in very, very large part a load of nonsense firmly rooted in over-emotional fantasies about evil major publishers and the brave little underdog showing them how things should be done. There's a game to be made from Sapkowski's universe with the production values and systems and story to blow me away. Perhaps The Wild Hunt will be it. But Assassins of Kings wasn't back then, and it's definitely not now.
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    I saw all the reasons people gave for not liking Assassin's Creed III and, eh, I don't know, they just didn't bother me anything like as much as they did all these other people and I don't really know why. I'm not undiscerning (I mean, Christ, I've been accused of hating everything on this forum more than once). I can see the problems are almost objectively problems, and I don't blame people for not wanting to give it any more of their time. But I really, really liked it pretty much from start to finish. It's not my favourite AC (that would be Black Flag), but it's far from my least favourite either (that would probably be 1). And again, I liked it much, much more than Far Cry 3, which I will maintain 'til my dying day was execrable and one of the most over-rated games in years.
    Like most recent ubi open world games, it's very conflicted. I enjoyed it from beginning to end, but all that time it also drove me nuts. It's so full of things I like, and at the same time blatantly undermines them. If you can accept its flawed nature and see through the bullshit, it is a great game. But if you can't, it's not.

I guess it's a question of priorities. I talked with a friend the other day and we agreed that the AC series is pretty much the only game series that does what it does. (Specifically being a parkour murdering joyride/james bond simulator. The Batman games are ones I can think of that comes closest, but they have a very different approach.) That's a thing I want to play games about, so I keep returning to the AC series, even though they frequently test my patience. Severely.

I'll be getting Black Flag in the summer sale, hopefully.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well, that's wolfenstein finished. More like this, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    I picked up the second game and am currently playing it. It adds some new mechanics that really mess with my head in a way the first game never did. I love it.
    Interesting. I get that it's harder, I wonder if "more interesting" is what I need here. Something about the original game, when it gets somewhat challenging, just comes off as mildly annoying instead of interesting. It's a strange reaction, actually, because usually I'm all about this kind of thing, and the harder the better. I guess it might have something to do with the way it handles mistakes.
    Last edited by vinraith; 11-06-2014 at 09:37 PM.

I'm playing Broforce, and it's incredible fun. each hero is so incredibly individual that it can immediately change the way you play. And the bro-freeing/extra-lives mechanic makes sure you don't get to just keep playing with with your favourite hero. keeps you on your toes, even if they're all good. and the fragile blocky-explodey physics make for a frantic atmosphere and sometimes spelunky-like hilarious chain reactions. It's still in alpha, but in a good way, by which I mean the way you know that it's good already and there's even more coming. Get it, it's on sale on humble atm!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Finished Aveyond the Dark something, it was too on rails and had too much walking through old areas. I'm enjoying Skyborn more, despite many of the same issues. It just has a bit more extra content that provides that illusion of freedom.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Ass3 Started genuinely enjoying it, I'm not collecting anything or doing anything off the main drag and I'm fast travelling everywhere. I'll humour the optional objectives, screw a few up and just roll onwards. I'll never ever get 100% and a little bit of me dislikes that, but I think I'll have more fun is i just accelerate towards the end and hunt down the occasional "real" side mission (no mention of feathers please).
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Obscure Node
    Borderlands 2 has gotten its cell shaded loot covered claws back into me, and I've clocked up over 120 hours on one character alone. I'm on my own epic quest to 100% steam achievement that game for no other reason than an obsessive and unreasonable desire to do so. And when I'm not playing that, I'm arseing around with Skyrim mods instead of playing the damn thing.

Lesser Hivemind Node TheDreamlord's Avatar
    I played the first third of Deponia on Sunday evening and I found it amusing, but I am now starting to find it a bit of a chore. The only adventure games I enjoyed the last few years were the Blackwell series, for some reason. Maybe because they were interesting and easy enough to just enjoy the story. I don't care much anymore for inventory puzzles.