Page 1099 of 1190 FirstFirst ... 99599999104910891097109810991100110111091149 ... LastLast
Results 21,961 to 21,980 of 23793
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    Yeah, but they're one-time use and the game's pace is a little to frenetic to allow much in the way of exploring when it's most necessary--when you're starting out. If I stumble across one, great. If not ...
    Not sure I agree with that, my last games were much easier than it used to be. I'm not entirely sure whther it was rebalanced or tuned or something else but, although not impossible, I had the impression it was not a lucky string of runs.

Early deaths are the least expensive anyway.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Nekro is really quite hard - when it's not being stupidly easy...

Not sure build has much to do with it either - I think it's just not really very balanced atm
    Yeah I browsed the forums a little, and even one of the devs acknowledged they have a problem with difficulty, there's people like me having trouble getting past level 3, and others who find it entirely too easy. No doubt different players have different levels of skill, but it could be also indicative of a problem with balancing... I didn't stick around long enough to find out.

Anyway, I made the mistake of picking the plant towers which rely on your ability to lure your enemies in range (or have a steady supply of fresh blood to make new ones), which was a bit hit or miss as a tactic. On second thought I should have probably gone with the bats, which reminds me it's a shame there's no respec at all.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Bit disappointed that it's had zero updates since appearing on Early Access - I get the impression the developers keep running out of cash (hence the bundle thing recently) and that makes me wonder how long it will be (or even if it will) ever be 'finished'
    That would be a pity, what is there isn't bad at all.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Not sure I agree with that, my last games were much easier than it used to be. I'm not entirely sure whther it was rebalanced or tuned or something else but, although not impossible, I had the impression it was not a lucky string of runs.

Early deaths are the least expensive anyway.
    I'm not saying progression doesn't happen. The bit you quoted response to Vinraith mentioning the shrine things. One cannot reliably run into them. One can also not reliably locate certain sorts of other unusual finds in the world and I don't feel like the day-night cycle is quite long enough to encourage the sorts of long rambling exploration drives I managed in Minecraft. Also the literal lethality of darkness, while thematic, makes even simple things like orienting yourself with the map when you overshoot while heading back to camp a pain in the ass when combined with the speed and precision of nightfall. It could do with more gradual transitions or a pause-on-map-and-inventory-access feature.

Again, my trouble is not the difficulty. It's that I find certain aspects of the difficulty more fiddly than interesting. Navigating the crating menus is likewise a pain given their real-time nature. It's those little details that add nothing to the otherwise almost arcade-like take on the survival and exploration genre. I feel it needs a less frenetic pace or to be more forgiving in some highly targeted ways that make the whole experience more coherently difficult and frenetic and less incoherently fiddly.

I still like it, and want to spend a lot more time with it. But I have some misgivings and I doubt they're going to go away even after I've climbed far enough up the difficulty curve to look back more clearly.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

The bit you quoted response to Vinraith mentioning the shrine things. One cannot reliably run into them. One can also not reliably locate certain sorts of other unusual finds in the world
    That what I was referring to: when I first played the game (not long after it went gold), on some maps it was definitely hard to find some things (rare or not), which was no longer the case when I picked it up again last time.

and I don't feel like the day-night cycle is quite long enough to encourage the sorts of long rambling exploration drives I managed in Minecraft. Also the literal lethality of darkness, while thematic, makes even simple things like orienting yourself with the map when you overshoot while heading back to camp a pain in the ass when combined with the speed and precision of nightfall. It could do with more gradual transitions or a pause-on-map-and-inventory-access feature.
    I just carry materials around so I can make a campfire, but torches can be useful too. When it's getting dark, it's easier (and faster) to get back if you're following a road. On a general note, getting back to the camp can be expensive in terms of time, which is definitely a scarce resource, so unless it's necessary, I'd go for a campfire anyway.

Also, try the pad. It takes some time getting used to it, and some tasks take a little more time, but I might like it better than KB&M.

With that out of the way, I do have some trouble with the roguelike-like-ness of it. I even tried save scumming but it affects negatively my enjoyment of the game, maybe simply because it is nice to become decent at surviving when you know how easy it is to die.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    So, I've been playing some EUIV - as Byzantium. Interestingly, the biggest change wealth of nations seems to have brought is that whilst previously a successful start as the Byzantine empire relied on some form of cheese, such as blockading the strait between europe and turkey whilst their entire army was on the wrong half, or the 'warmonger' strategy of declaring war on the balkans with no CB and hoping nobody cares enough to stop you... all of these have been fixed over the course of several patches. They just don't work.

What does work is...

Getting some allies and just sort of waiting for the right moment. Yeah. The successful Byzantine strat is now cheese free. You just make allies and gang up on the Ottomans. Turns out, if you're friends with the Mamluks, Naples, Hungary, and Austria, you can just face the Ottomans down the old fashioned way.

So now I've got a strong position with most of Greece flying my colours, alongside Constantinople itself. Once the truce is over, further expansion ought to be even easier, with the Ottomans substantially weakened.
    Sure they work! There's always room for cheese! I started a Byzantium playthrough a few days ago and gamed the system to get a foothold. I did the Balkan thing, although not without a CB. Simply ally each of Serbia, Bosnia and Wallachia, then declare war on Albania without calling any of them in. Land troops in Albania and, when enough time has passed for Serbia to not want to join, call them in for a dishonored call CB. Use your troops in Albania to vassalize Serbia and use the blockade to peace out Albania for their money. Rinse and repeat for Wallachia and Bosnia. Also, try to suck up to some major power around you as a deterrent against Ottoman aggression. May want to support rebels in the islands, as well, since it's cheap and the provinces are good. Although there seems to be a bug that makes the "foreign support for rebels" modifier not go away after the rebels break the country or something.

My game turned into a blobfest, with Mega-France, Mega-Poland, Mega-Russia and, of course, Mega-Byzantium/Megantium. France seems to be a bit out of control in the latest patch. Europe turned into a bit of a stalemate with no superpower really challenging the others (although France was far more powerful than the others) and everyone hating each other, with fragile alliances and switching allegiances. Real tense. Then I had the most unbelievable luck and unexpectedly inherited the French throne, after the French dynasty had come to power in Byzantium way earlier. Then Europe went squosh. I had been expanding steadily before, but with my French attack dog there is no stopping me. Mega-Poland is now Mini-Poland, with several bankruptcies and constantly being broken by rebels. Mega-Russia is a huge paper tiger. The French get ideas from time to time, and declare themselves independent, but what I lack in raw numbers, I make up for with guile and divine authority. They seem to have learnt their lesson.

I don't plan to do much more with Europe (maybe finish internalizing the Mediterranean), but I want India. I'm well on my way, just finished feeding cores to my vassal that was once known as Mega-Timurids.

Oh, and Magdeburg is a major central European power. There are only a handful of HRE princes left (13, I believe) and the new emperor, Bavaria (after I vassalized Austria) is ruled by another member of my dynasty. Valois is the new Habsburg.

The only problem is that it's not as fun without any challenge.
    Last edited by Fanbuoy; 17-06-2014 at 11:08 PM.

Network Hub
    2 rounds of BF3, 2 cheaters. Here's one of them: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3...ow/1/77732312/

I had hoped all the scum would have moved on to BF4 by now. Nnnnnnope.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Divinity: Dragon Commander.

I feel like either the loading screen tips are trolling me or I'm getting old. Shit like "Warlocks require a lot of player management" and "Make sure your Shamans stay out of combat" would make you think some kind of fine-control is possible in the battles. But no, it isn't. Nothing is possible. It's a frantic click-fest where your unit composition isn't based on anything other than going for a rough balance of things which have worked in the past. Otherwise you just turn into a dragon and go wreck an attacking forces day. And you need to be so far zoomed out that you couldn't select a fucking Warlock if your ass depended on it.

Sacrifice was easier to control/play than this, and that's not counting the tactical pause that game had. It's a shame because everything else has been fun, but I can see the battles wearing on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Canis Solus View Post
    I'm going back through NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer, again. Gonna see what my pure monk with high wisdom and lore can do.
    Just finished a full NWN2+MotB playthrough with a Fighter/Red-Dragon-Disciple/Neverwinter-Nine and had a great time. By the end I was rolling with 46 STR, near 30 CON and everything else over 20; AC was 60 with Improved Expertise; and had 6 attacks (7 if using persistant haste) with a pimped-out scythe/shield combo which would critical for around 180 damage. It was beautiful - nothing could touch me and every boss just disappeared in a puff of scythe. Wonderful game, one of the best there is.

I really like the movement options in Giana Sisters: Twisted World, especially dashing adds speed and flavor to what would be fairly standard platforming. I'm not as pleased with presentation: it sure is shiny but also a bit generic, and the dark world just doesn't look personal enough. The sound design left me pretty cold as well.

Someone here said they made a commitment to play a level every night of Giana til completion, and I can really subscribe to that view. Even though I like dashing a lot, I'm still racking up deaths by the dozens and that yields repetition and maybe a game of this type should focus on making things just challenging enough without really hurting flow. Level design has some nice ideas, but the slight slide in the controls gets old really fast when you have tiny tiny platforms.

I have a hunch that my being crappy at it affects my judgment, but that doesn't paint a pretty picture for anyone who played before Easy mode, I can really imagine how anyone not "hardcore" enough, so to speak, could quickly get frustrated and cast the game aside.

I just carry materials around so I can make a campfire, but torches can be useful too. When it's getting dark, it's easier (and faster) to get back if you're following a road. On a general note, getting back to the camp can be expensive in terms of time, which is definitely a scarce resource, so unless it's necessary, I'd go for a campfire anyway.
    See as soon as I built a science machine I started feeling like building a static camp-site would be at least one of several encouraged paths. Even just based on what I've played (and failed at), your advice sounds about right ... I'm getting the impression setting up shop is an awful idea until you've found some magical nirvana in which to settle down.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

I'm getting the impression setting up shop is an awful idea until you've found some magical nirvana in which to settle down.
    The game puts you in a tight spot with that decision, too: you need to build a science machine as early as possible, hence you need to set up camp; and the more you play, the more stuff you collect that you probably won't be able to use right away and that means fixed storage to an extent.

You won't likely have a chance to pick an optimum position for it, but it's certainly wise to pick a spot near a road, better yet, a major road system. I noticed that myself, I tend to pick a desert.

Maybe there's better spots, I'm not sure, but one of the things I liked the most about Don't Starve is that, as you pointed out, there is no real need to rely on external resources, the game is nudging you in the right direction, giving you more or less subtle clues, most of the time. Survival done right, I called it once.

I started Shadowrun Returns. It's an isometric RPG alright. The environments seem quite sterile at times, considering the setting. And combat is hilariously easy on the normal difficulty (at least in the first few hours). I also recently read several books by William Gibson, there seem to be quite a few parallels.

Maybe there's better spots, I'm not sure, but one of the things I liked the most about Don't Starve is that, as you pointed out, there is no real need to rely on external resources, the game is nudging you in the right direction, giving you more or less subtle clues, most of the time. Survival done right, I called it once.
    I wouldn't call it done right. Not yet at least. Maybe later, but I think not. Again, I'm really struggling to enjoy the pacing and the interface the more I play. It's simplicity and style is a great boon to it, but I think it shares features with Minecraft that primarily work because Minecraft is slow and consistent--two things which Don't Starve is not (and doesn't want to be).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    If soccer is the layman's religion (and what an idolator the layman is), Picross is mine. First I polished off Picross 3D; fittingly, the final puzzle was a 15-part endeavor to reconstruct the bones of a reptile that went extinct 65 million years ago. I proceeded directly to Picross DS and promptly discovered that I had forgotten how to play in the three-or-so years since I last played it. After a few fruitless attempts to solve the flower puzzles (which turned out to be the hardest stages in the game) I reset my save so as to re-acquaint myself with the nuances of our One True Logic Puzzle. Lacking the Z-axis, the numbering is a bit different than Picross 3D.

Then I beat all the Easy and Normal Mode puzzles in a week. (That's 181 puzzles!) I figured that Free Mode wouldn't appeal to me and I'd be able to stop/sleep, but it turns out that I like the game even more without error-checking and time restraints. I'll probably get another hour out of it, then proceed to the wi-fi puzzles, then I have Mario's Picross and Guru Logi Champ lined up. If I'm still not satisfied after that, I'll probably check out Picross 2 and Mario's Super Picross before biting the bullet on a 3DS to get even more.

I also picked up Knock-Knock from the GOG sale. Played for like 20 minutes, seems repetitive but atmospheric. I'll probably continue to play it in small doses.

Speaking of soccer, what's the best bang-for-buck way to get in on digital foot-to-ball action on the PC?

I really like the movement options in Giana Sisters: Twisted World, especially dashing adds speed and flavor to what would be fairly standard platforming. I'm not as pleased with presentation: it sure is shiny but also a bit generic, and the dark world just doesn't look personal enough. The sound design left me pretty cold as well.

Someone here said they made a commitment to play a level every night of Giana til completion, and I can really subscribe to that view. Even though I like dashing a lot, I'm still racking up deaths by the dozens and that yields repetition and maybe a game of this type should focus on making things just challenging enough without really hurting flow. Level design has some nice ideas, but the slight slide in the controls gets old really fast when you have tiny tiny platforms.

I have a hunch that my being crappy at it affects my judgment, but that doesn't paint a pretty picture for anyone who played before Easy mode, I can really imagine how anyone not "hardcore" enough, so to speak, could quickly get frustrated and cast the game aside.
    Yeah, that was me. I finished the game but I agree with you on everything you said. I played a third of the game before easy mode was patched in and I eventually left it in frustration. It was just too difficult. Easy mode made it playable for me. But anything more than a couple of stages per evening was too much.

I did really love the art and music though. And the transition between dark and light world was smooth and elegant in my opinion.

Still, I think it is worth completing, assuming you are enjoying it of course.

Since I was bored with the other games I was playing last night, I reinstalled an old flight simulator made by Looking Glass (in 1997!), Flight Unlimited II. It's a flight simulator with only small planes, featuring only the San Francisco Bay Area. I loved that game when I was younger, and must've spent dozens of hours from Half Moon Bay airport to San Francisco via a touch and go on Palo Alto, or diving under the Golden Gate bridge. Unfortunately, I didn't get it to run properly. Strangely enough, I wasn't able to taxi, my plane just skidded around the airport like it was a paper kite, attached to a rubber band, on ice. Will have to cherish the memories, I guess :)
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Network Hub
    Speaking of soccer, what's the best bang-for-buck way to get in on digital foot-to-ball action on the PC?
    Sensible World of Soccer 96/97 is 3$ on GoG. Then some updated teams with modern players and you are set.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Decided to crack open Brothers: A tale of a son and an androgynous younger sibling. And to sum it up in 3 words "Light and Shade". It's simultaneously happier and sadder than Assassins Creed 3, which by the way is seriously lacking from the absence of the parachute/flying machine found in the earlier games.

Brothers does have some content recycling but I don't feel like it fails to stay fresh, indeed it feels like what Fable would have been if they hadn't focus tested it into oblivion and added combat and leveling.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Well I tried dark souls, really don't think it's for me.

The combat is nice and early on the difficulty doesn't feel needlessly punishing but I really dislike repeatedly going through the same areas, killing the same enemies and doing the same actions again and again.

I also find the world so murky and dull that it's really hard to enjoy spending any time there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Divinity: Dragon Commander.

I feel like either the loading screen tips are trolling me or I'm getting old. Shit like "Warlocks require a lot of player management" and "Make sure your Shamans stay out of combat" would make you think some kind of fine-control is possible in the battles. But no, it isn't. Nothing is possible. It's a frantic click-fest where your unit composition isn't based on anything other than going for a rough balance of things which have worked in the past. Otherwise you just turn into a dragon and go wreck an attacking forces day. And you need to be so far zoomed out that you couldn't select a fucking Warlock if your ass depended on it.

Sacrifice was easier to control/play than this, and that's not counting the tactical pause that game had. It's a shame because everything else has been fun, but I can see the battles wearing on me.
    Turn the battle speed down from the options menu and skip any fight your generals can win for you. The real-time battles are simply awful.