Page 11 of 1190 FirstFirst ... 91011121321611115111011 ... LastLast
    Medal of Honor 2010. Heard horrible things about it, got it cheap, and am loving the hell out of it. Yeah, it's single-player is another "interactive cutscene/pop-up shooting gallery" but it has some great levels and pacing. Maybe it's because I'm a veteran, but the extra realism of MoH makes it way better than any Call of Duty game single-player wise, at least for me.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I'd been thinking about picking up Just Cause 2 when I got Windows 7 set up, but you guys have very helpfully talked me out of it. If the only way to make the game fun is to remove any challenge and play it as a destruction sandbox, it'll be fun for about 10 minutes for me (based on past experience with such things, I'm looking at you GTA) so I'd be better off spending my money elsewhere.
    Oh don't get me wrong, it's still a fun game without cheating and playing on easy. It's just...less fun. But you should try it either way. I think it's MUCH more fun than gta in regards to fucking around.
    Plus the campaign, as shallow as it is, offers pretty decent enjoyment too. So you do a few missions and then fuck around and then repeat. After/if you had enough of the game by then, try cheating and you will get a little extra mileage out of it.

Finished SpaceChem! :D :D :D

Well, I still have most of the challenges to do, including some of the optional production levels. But I beat the final level, and man it was satisfying.

Spoilers ahead, sort of. (I didn't even read the story text, and I won't go into any specific detail about my solution, but some people might not want to know anything in advance about the final level.)

My first attempt got me a sort of borderline workable ship, once I'd fixed the obvious problems. But it fired far too slowly, and failed completely after too few cycles. I spent a lot of time optimising that flawed design, and running it again and again hoping that the boss would only take 5 hits, which I thought I could probably manage on a lucky and mistake-free run.

I finally realised I needed to rip it up and start again, and this time I knew a couple of pitfalls to avoid, so I was able to set up a much better basic design. It still took a fair bit of optimisation, but I eventually sorted it out so that it fired at a decent rate and worked perfectly for long enough. (It still became almost useless once the storage tanks filled up, but it didn't seem to have any inevitable point of failure, so if necessary I might have been able to eke out a last hit or two with enough patience.)

I was able to repeat my success pretty quickly, so it wasn't a fluke run, but there are a few asteroid patterns that give my ship trouble. Has anyone managed a design that would run well perpetually? I think mine would have kept firing forever, and remained controllable, but the firing rate slowed down a lot once the tanks filled, and I would have had to rely on the laser and missiles occasionally deciding to fire at the right time relative to eachother, which I'm not sure would have happened. (Their supplies weren't entirely independent.)

Anyway, yeah, game of the year! I think I need a break before trying to clear all the challenges (which, incidentally, are achievements done right). Might play a bit of Morrowind -- I discovered Morrowind Overhaul the other day, which takes a massive amount of time and frustration and trial-and-error out of getting a really nice-looking collection of mods working together. Might also get back into Devil May Cry 4, and the Broken Sword "Director's Cut", which seems pretty great so far.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hensler View Post
    Maybe it's because I'm a veteran, but the extra realism of MoH makes it way better than any Call of Duty game single-player wise, at least for me.
    This is the second time I hear MoH '10 is realistic according to someone with service. Care to elaborate?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've drifted back to Shogun 2 now that I've finished the Witcher 2 - the 1.2 patch bugs me a bit. I can't remember what default equipment I'm meant to start with and it's dumped a whole ton of free stuff in my lap. I don't want the free stuff it seems 'too good' but I don't want to ditch the equipment I ought to start with either. I'm probably missing an obvious solution however.

Finished Mirror's Edge which is good fun aside from when ALL THE BLOOM stops me seeing where the heck I'm going and when it does it's best to force you into combat.

I then played a few hours of Aliens vs. Predator (the newest one) and that was pretty much all it took for me to decide it wasn't for me. Got it in a sale though so I've probably got my money's worth anyway.

Next up I'll be having a go at Audiosurf after being gifted it by the suave and good-looking SoulPride through the kindness thread. :)

EDIT: Ah, I see Audiosurf is more of a "pick up and bash out a few songs" type (or will be for me) than a "sit and play for a few hours" sort of affair. In which case next I'm going to be having a romp around in FUEL.
    Last edited by Ian; 12-06-2011 at 06:58 PM.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Vampire bloodlines.

I visited a museum and saw a wolf man again, there were dinosaurs which was fun, but the gift shop was closed which was sad. I also made a friend called Patty and introduced her to my other friend Pisha, haven't seen Patty since though....but then I met an old friend called Samantha, we laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed, then I left her alone because the man wanted to talk to me on the pay phone. Between chatting with a jester and staring at street lights I am wondering when all the mindless head bashing begins and makes the game fall down a hole, am I close when I reach hollywood or is it far ahead of me?

@8-bit

It sounds like you're in the Downtown area. Hollywood is just after that.

The first half of Hollywood is ok. However, the second half - and large parts of the rest of the game - are ... not as good.

Activated Node
    The underground section that leads to Hollywood is just... awful, really. I can't even think of anything clever to say about it. It's just atrocious. I've played tens of thousands of hours of games, and that hour may well be the worst of them all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The best advice is to just sprint through that section. I replayed the game recently and I just ran through it, not trying to fight the monsters or anything. Took about 20 minutes. Do that.

Great game, otherwise.

Finally mixed up a working modded Oblivion, with a character who I can stand to look at for the brief time I spend on the inventory screen. Surprisingly time consuming if you aren't a regular modderer. Now to actually play the damn thing. Last time I played this was a loooong time ago, so quite interested in seeing how I feel about it now I am older and supposedly wiser.

Other than that I occasionally log into LotRO to stab things with my Hobbit and I was working my way through Jade Empire again until recently, I've stalled for the time being. I also have a copy of TW2 that is still waiting for me to upgrade my PC, curse life and it's financial trivialities such as buying food.

Got briefly re-hooked on Hedgewars as well. Oh and if anyone loves them some Mass Effect there is a fun little fan made game that you could try out/support here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    I'm playing Hostile Waters, because I saw someone suggest it on the Carrier Command article. Someone gave it to me as a gift many years ago and I never bothered to play it. Now I love it. I'm also looking for anything similar to that or Battlezone, if anyone has any suggestions.

Also still playing Terraria just for the fun of plastering stone walls over everything.

My problem is I've got so many games I spend more time debating what to play than actually playing. >.<

Close to the end (I assume) on Planescape Torment but the tons and tons of sudden battling after Curst has taken its toll on me and I've been taking a tiny break. The console toys have stolen my attention during this time and I've been having loads of fun with Infamous that we got from the PS3 Welcome Back program. The first sandbox game I've properly enjoyed since GTA3.

Obscure Node
    Im (assuming i'm) about halfway through Planescape Torment at the moment. I've just become a godsmen. really enjoying it, great writing and dialogue although i dont think im well equiped enough yet. I need more money (and in the game).

Also playing Mass Effect 2 and F1 2010 (Monaco is a bitch of a circuit!).

I tend to start games, play them for a month, then pick something else up and then switch and swap around. It took me over a year to complete Bioshock!!

After not being grabbed by AvP I went back and read the Wot I Think of it and realised I'm pretty much exactly where Alec was. The game wasn't scary enough to be compelling the abilities of the Predator and the xenomorph weren't put to use well enough to want me to keep playing as them. I actually like the movement of the predator including the way jumping worked, but found the invisibility to not be up to much once marines knew there was something in the area. And the melee combat for both beasties is clunky. The special kill animations were all pretty good when they weren't rendering you into a big, immobile bullseye for any enemy that spotted you but I rarely felt threatening when I got up close unless I was the xeno and sneaking up behind somebody.

The movement of the xeno is good too, actually, and in fact the "tutorial" bit in the alien campaign is good fun.

Basically there's the makings of a decent game there somewhere, I just couldn't be arsed going any further.

Anyway, tonight I think I'll get the REFUELED mod (that's the best one from what I've read) and give Fuel a bash.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Quote Originally Posted by Giaddon View Post
    The best advice is to just sprint through that section. I replayed the game recently and I just ran through it, not trying to fight the monsters or anything. Took about 20 minutes. Do that.

Great game, otherwise.
    So the fabled downfall of the game is only an hour long or shorter, seems a bit harsh that it has gathered a reputation like it has. A question though, is the hit to dexterity worth upgrading your armour to light leather?

Activated Node
    8-bit: It gets a little better after the section I described, but a little better than utterly abysmal is not very good at all. It's just not worth playing after that point, really.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Goddamn is Spacechem draining. just on the MICROSPOILERWARNING space station but I find the leap of solution to implementation is too big for me to have as fun as I was earlier.

Banned
    Presently working my way through the Witcher 2 (about 6 - 8 hours in). One, that game is absurdly beautiful graphically even on mid way settings (the bubble scene was particularly impressive). Two,the combat is no joke compared to the original, and they do a piss poor job of explaining about the various weapon enhancements and potions at your disposal right at the beginning. Albeit having played the original I was familiar with the whetstones, oils and potions but it wasn't clear that you really needed to be relying on that stuff from the off. They could do with some tutorials for new players. Three, the stealth sneaking is a tad pants, save regularly.