Page 1109 of 1258 FirstFirst ... 10960910091059109911071108110911101111111911591209 ... LastLast
Results 22,161 to 22,180 of 25157
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    No worries, there's no game that grabs everyone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I hope I didn't offend anyone with regards to Bastion. Clearly, some of you hold it close to your heart! Besides which, I agree that it is a highly polished, well-made game. It's hard to say exactly why it doesn't grab me, why I don't expect to replay it.
    I very nearly didn't play it at all. I bought it, played a couple of hours, was underwhelmed and uninstalled it. I only went back because of someone mentioning "Oh my goodness, Bastion..." etc., etc. :) . I'm pleased I finished it, and I certainly don't think it's a bad game, but I'd never really recommend it to anyone and I don't feel it particularly excels at anything, beyond the art direction, maybe? (I bought the soundtrack, but it really didn't hold up to long-term play for me.) So you're certainly not alone.
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    XCOM:EU. Council mission. The one with the ship. I got my ass handed so hard, it's not funny. Everyone dead in the end, partly because I didn't expect it to end the way it did. But my soldiers aren't well equipped enough to fight that fight anyway. I'm out of money and research is too slow to make any use of the light plasma rifles i gathered from captured aliens yet. So I still got the base equipment, except for Carapace Armor.

What shall I do? Deny the request and risk even more panic (I've written off Europe quickly)? Nah, that can't happen. It doesn't help that I only ever get support soldiers. I've got one assault and one sniper, that's it. They're also mostly female for some odd reason.

I should have never picked random damage. That shit gets my troops killed all the freakin' time. "Let's spice it up a little!"... stupid me...
    I love that mission, think it's specific to Enemy Within. I think the trick is to RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!. Think I managed to keep everyone alive, but then I did have laser weapons and no second wave options enabled. Also support soldiers are the best soldiers, plus funnily enough most of my soldiers in my most recent playthrough have been female too.

Anyway, thanks to anyone that recommended the new Tomb Raider, I have been playing it pretty much all day, hungover, and it's the best thing. Think I prefer it to what little Uncharted I have played - so far the emphasis is less on wacky exploding stuff happening or gunning down squillions of people. There is more attention to detail, the animations and the way they interact with the environment are really impressive. And of course I am obliged to say that the hair is very nice.

Lesser Hivemind Node TheDreamlord's Avatar
    I am also on the camp that found Bastion underwelming. And a tad confusing, too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Can I belong to the camp that thought bastion was a lot of fun, but only to the tier that I find many of games a lot of fun without holding any special warm feeling in the depths of my heart for them? I understand if I can't - it's the internet and all, and when in Rome...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Can I belong to the camp that thought bastion was a lot of fun, but only to the tier that I find many of games a lot of fun without holding any special warm feeling in the depths of my heart for them? I understand if I can't - it's the internet and all, and when in Rome...
    That was kinda what I was trying to convey, though I might have been a little less enthusiastic, I suppose. It was... okay. Fun to mess around with the weapons, and I appreciated that there were different play styles available, though I never really felt compelled to experiment (certainly didn't see any point in aceing all the trials). Really pretty scenery, though it didn't actually feel like a place. Maybe a stage set? Very atmospheric soundtrack that gradually got less and less rewarding the more I listened to it outside the game. Cute story, solidly written, and it was gratifying to see it wrapped up, but it was too reliant on gimmickry and coincidence to leave much of an impression. It was "nice", overall, in a way that stopped just short of becoming a pejorative.
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

I've been playing SiN.

It has been many, many years since I last played this 16 year old game. I'd forgotten, A: how brilliant it is and B: how god damn hard it is. For those not alive back in 1998 or just missed it out I highly recommend it - especially in this day and age of sub standard sequels, pathetic reboots... and Call of Duties. You'll find it on GOG.com (probably best from there as you get the add-on pack "Wages of Sin". I screwed up and bought SiN Episodes: Emergence from Steam which comes with the original SiN (even though it isn't advertised as doing so) but it is heavily censored (nudity, drug references and image clearance). So get the GOG version instead.

Although both Steam and GOG have done a good job getting it to work under Windows 7 and 8 you'll still need a widescreen patcher if you want anything higher than 1152x864. The command console ~ (or if you're British) is a good place to change the FOV, which saves to your save game. word of warning though, running the game at higher resolutions mucks up some of the interactive computer screens.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by soopytwist View Post
    It has been many, many years since I last played this 16 year old game. I'd forgotten, A: how brilliant it is and B: how god damn hard it is. For those not alive back in 1998 or just missed it out I highly recommend it - especially in this day and age of sub standard sequels, pathetic reboots... and Call of Duties
    I've got a design credit on Wages of Sin, even though none of my work is featured on it.

A friend was working for 2015, and Wages of Sin was their first project (beyond a portfolio-building proof-of-ability quake 1 mod). I sent him a Q2 level I was working on, and their boss said, "Hey, see if he'll work for us." Which is a little crazy, because the level was neither good nor finished, but I think the boss was the kind of guy who planned to throw as much shit at the wall as possible and keep whatever stuck. (He got 2015 into making third-tier video game crap, which is what got all of them with ability and vision out of 2015 and into their own company. That, and I guess he was kind of an asshole to boot.)

They flew me out to Tulsa, Oklahoma (what a place to set up shop), I played around with QERadiant and their scripting language for a few days, and they said, "Go home (to Washington state.) Make the final level. It's a nuclear reactor. The player needs to keep it from melting down. We'll give you $500." I'm like, what? But what the fuck, maybe I can do it?

Meanwhile, I'm working a part-time, minimum wage job putting together computers and living in a shit-hole punk-house. My computer, quite literally, has no case. It is running out of the motherboard box. And is cheap and out of date, won't meet Sin minimum requirements when those are released. I've got dial-up. I have to divide my level into 500kb chunks via winzip so that Yahoo mail will send them as attachments. And I've got no actual contact with anybody else in 2015-- no texture artist to ask to make me an alternate concrete, no feedback to let me know if I'm on the right track. Sin is far from complete-- there aren't even any functioning bad guys in the build I have.

Well, I put something together. There were some good bits, but I have to say, that overall, it was crap. I made far less than minimum wage for it. Meanwhile, my girlfriend was going to France to teach English, and I was going to follow her, and there wasn't any way for me to continue working for 2015. I sent them what I had, and it never made it into the game.

Hadn't thought about that in quite a while-- had to share!

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I've got a design credit on Wages of Sin, even though none of my work is featured on it.
    Ha quite a story :D

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    I love that mission, think it's specific to Enemy Within. I think the trick is to RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!. Think I managed to keep everyone alive, but then I did have laser weapons and no second wave options enabled. Also support soldiers are the best soldiers, plus funnily enough most of my soldiers in my most recent playthrough have been female too.
    I figured that out when I had already given up and was just goofing around to see what works and what doesn't when I'll try again (save scum here). I do like the level for stirring things up, but damn it got me empty handed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Anyway, thanks to anyone that recommended the new Tomb Raider, I have been playing it pretty much all day, hungover, and it's the best thing. Think I prefer it to what little Uncharted I have played - so far the emphasis is less on wacky exploding stuff happening or gunning down squillions of people. There is more attention to detail, the animations and the way they interact with the environment are really impressive. And of course I am obliged to say that the hair is very nice.
    It's really good, isn't it? Not to rain on your parade, but you'll get to kill a trillion people eventually. Overall it's still something I wouldn't want to have missed. Did you notice how Lara sometimes supports herself with her hand on the wall, when she's close? It's those little things that make a game special to me. Completely unnecessary stuff, but makes the character come alive. Just like idle animations, back in the days.

P.S.: Fun story, nate.
    Last edited by DanMan; 28-06-2014 at 09:36 PM.

Running my brain into Hexcells Plus. It's hard, but when I've navigated a particularly challenging logical sub-maze I feel really smart. But then I make a mistake and it ruins my day, because suddenly you have knowledge of an extra tile which the puzzle design didn't account for so you're no longer solving it in the ideal way, but I guess there is no way around that.

Also, I'm thinking about the paradox of this 1080p 3d tv I connected my laptop to: movement is noticably smoother on this screen, both with tv and games, so it must be running at a higher refresh rate. But the screen visibly flickers; it's almost unnoticable when looking straight at it (almost) but from my peripheral vision, the flicker is extremely obvious. How can it be both smooth and flickering at the same time?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    How can it be both smooth and flickering at the same time?
    LED backlight flicker maybe? Like here?

Might be a way to adjust the backlight rate. Is it a problem in 3d mode?

Peripheral vision's a lot more sensitive to flicker. Rods vs cones thing, I understand.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Running my brain into Hexcells Plus.

How can it be both smooth and flickering at the same time?
    I tried the first ten or so puzzles of Hexcells Plus and I don't know if it was just me not getting it or what, but it felt like some of the puzzles can't be done completely logically and some require guesswork and luck, unlike normal Hexcells, so I don't like it.

How old is the TV and what make is it? It could be aged or dodgy caps making the backlight flicker, my old Samsung 226BWs used to do it after I had them for a few years because they had the capacitor plague (knock-off caps, basically). Also maybe the brightness is a little low? LED TVs adjust the backlight by pulsing it at different rates (sort of) so they can appear to flicker at lower brightness settings.
    Last edited by neema_t; 29-06-2014 at 07:55 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    I tried to play some Zeno Clash 2 the other day. The first game came out of the blue and became a treasured little gem for me. I'd read reviews for the sequel and wasn't expecting a masterpiece, but then lots of people didn't like the first so I figured it would probably be okay anyway. Long story short I just didn't get on with it and about an hour in I just felt annoyed with the whole thing and uninstalled it.

Yesterday I had almost the opposite experience with Borderlands 2. I got about a third (I think) through the first game before I gave up and decided that I liked the idea of the game a whole lot more than the game itself so my expectations for the sequel weren't very high. I'm not very far in yet but so far I like it much better, both as a game and for the fact that the PC version doesn't suffer from severe consolitis. I'm unlikely to fall in love with it but it's a bit of fun and that's good enough.

Network Hub
    I was having great fun with Book of Unwritten Tales. Very much my cup of tea, both writing and gameplay. But now I seem to have broken the game. Or vice versa.

Critter & Ivo are stuck in a jail cell. I'm clearly supposed to get the troll in the cell & knock him out with my homebrew catapult. However, I got the sequence wrong: Ivo hasn't yet blocked the viewing window with the painting. And now she's stuck holding the weapon, and won't move or budge.

Bah humbug. I really, really don't like gamebreakers in adventure games. Bad for immersion. I suppose I will restart it sometime, and keep a savegame around per chapter or per scene. But not just now.

Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    I tried the first ten or so puzzles of Hexcells Plus and I don't know if it was just me not getting it or what, but it felt like some of the puzzles can't be done completely logically and some require guesswork and luck, unlike normal Hexcells, so I don't like it.
    I haven't gotten stuck so far, 4 chapters in, but it definitely requires some advanced strategies. You have to keep in mind the certain uncertainties, like, if there are two unknown and four ? cells adjacent to a 1, and in the same column there's another 1 with two unknowns, then I know for certain there are two blue cells in that column. If the column has the number two, I can clear all other cells in that column except those four, and proceed from there. It's a simple example and doesn't appear in the game in that form but that's how it asks you to reason. Also, it doesn't tell you that when a column indicates -2- or {2}, it means the cells do not have to be physically connected; 'adjacent' in this case means the next cell in the column, even if there are 3 blank spaces in between. They could have made that clearer.

How old is the TV and what make is it? It could be aged or dodgy caps making the backlight flicker, my old Samsung 226BWs used to do it after I had them for a few years because they had the capacitor plague (knock-off caps, basically). Also maybe the brightness is a little low? LED TVs adjust the backlight by pulsing it at different rates (sort of) so they can appear to flicker at lower brightness settings.
    I have no idea, it's mounted on the wall so I can't look at the back, and the only hint to its age is a menu option that shows the software version is from 2010, so it's probably not a LED TV. I tried turning the brightness up to max but it didn't affect the frequency of the flicker. The HDMI cable that connects to my laptop is also pretty dodgy; uniform white surfaces get purple pixels spread all over them in the center 1/3rd of the screen. Not really sure which way the problem lies.

Edit: Uhh. Now the outline of Hearthstone's game board is burned into the screen. Hardly visible, but still. Think I have to be careful with that.
    Last edited by LTK; 29-06-2014 at 06:26 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    I think I'm stuck on the last puzzle in Hexcells Plus and no guesswork was needed, just careful observation and methodical counting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Naramsin View Post
    I think I'm stuck on the last puzzle in Hexcells Plus and no guesswork was needed, just careful observation and methodical counting.
    Yup, I finished the game and can assure everyone every puzzle can be resolved logically. Like LTK mentioned you will have to consider several clues at a time when figuring out some locations. Some of the puzzles in the last set of six were damned hard for me, and took some serious thinking and retries (I went for the perfect achievement and thus would start over when a mistake was made).
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

I'm on level 34 now and I see absolutely no way to continue beyond revealing the first 13 tiles.

I finished Divine Divinity yesterday. The entire last section was such a slog. It may be a hack'n'slash game but it's not a very good one. By the end my defenses were so high that most of the enemies literally couldn't hurt me but at the same time they still take forever to kill, even when using the best weapon in the game with all damage-enhancing skills. And there's a lot of monsters there, hundreds.
    Then the final boss. The ultimate battle for the fate of the world. The showdown between good and evil. Who will prevail?

I use all my remaining scorpion traps. He died in roughly seven seconds. Oh well.

I also gave Sir, You are Being Hunted another shot. It's still not particularly great but I managed to beat it. I fear the Bunnyhop review is still mostly valid. The procedural generation is just not working out for the game. Even with different biomes it still looks awfully samey. The stealth gameplay is not working well enough and the shooting is not much better. At one point I was about to grab a part and I threw an empty bottle over the heads of two robots which lands behind them but instead of investigating the bottle they just turn around and shoot me. Just like in real life, problems in Sir are best solved by running away from them very fast.
    Procedurally generated highlight:

Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.