Page 1114 of 1139 FirstFirst ... 114614101410641104111211131114111511161124 ... LastLast
Results 22,261 to 22,280 of 22770
    Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    You don't have to - you lose it's "online features' but I have no idea what that means in the context of UPlay

At a guess - you cannot buy DLC from the UPlay store - but you can buy from the Steam Store so...

I'll admit I did register it but it's not required just to play the game and - indeed - not doing so will mean the game will work if UPlay is offline without fucking around resetting your Uplay profile to offline (which you cannot do from within Rocksmith 2014 itself!!)

I did play through a few songs before registering tho - it worked - so...
    That sounds very intriguing. Thanks for letting me know. I might just give it a whirl then, for fun.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Going from Quake to Quake 2 is like going from Far Cry to Crysis, but this came out only 18 months later. I think I enjoy it more now than I did back then. Underrated game for sure. In my memories it was a brown turd when it actually does for coloured lighting what Doom 3 did for shadows.
    The problem, IIRC, was that Quake 2's coloured lighting only worked with sufficiently advanced video cards (or possibly with any video card, but not in software mode?). A lot of people back then couldn't meet the requirements, so they remember Quake 2 as less colourful than it was intended to be.

(That said: the thing I remember from Quake 2 is the attempt at interconnected levels with backtracking within units, which basically just confused the heck out of me at the time...)

I finished Betrayer. I liked it overall. It starts very strong but it's main problem is that half way through it gets repetitive. RPS's wot i think is right on the money I believe. Still, I enjoyed my time with it and I happily recommend it. I liked the ending, too.

I've also been playing Trials Fusion the last few days. It is great, like I expected. And the performance on the pc is much much better than the previous title.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Which is ironic because twin stick controls were an excellent way to return to Descent and consequently Freespace, however Free Allegiance if you dared to use a controller would get you sneered at for cheating or something because of how gracefully you hopped between variations in vector making you a tricky target close up.
    Its not so much ironic as just generic PC Master Race bullshit

Plenty of console games had quite a bit of z-axis. Even the first Halo had a fair amount of variety on the z-axis. No, what largely did away with it was the shift from "Every map is a maze" to "We want a very tight narrative and lots of set pieces". And people tend to not look up and down.

So if you want to blame it on something you don't like, blame CoD. Although, turn on the dev commentary for Half-Life 2 and the like and take a look at all the set pieces people tend to miss because they weren't looking.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Its not so much ironic as just generic PC Master Race bullshit

Plenty of console games had quite a bit of z-axis. Even the first Halo had a fair amount of variety on the z-axis. No, what largely did away with it was the shift from "Every map is a maze" to "We want a very tight narrative and lots of set pieces". And people tend to not look up and down.

So if you want to blame it on something you don't like, blame CoD. Although, turn on the dev commentary for Half-Life 2 and the like and take a look at all the set pieces people tend to miss because they weren't looking.
    I love the Half Life episode commentary. :)
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    I love the Half Life episode commentary. :)
    Same. It is very fun to watch/listen to/play Gives a lot of great insight into game design and what not

Also, another thing I forgot that is REALLY obvious: The other problem is the focus on "real world" settings. Seriously, go outside and look around: Pretty much everything happens on one plane, outside of the occasional atrium or person leaning out a window (hopefully not preparing to jump...). Yes, an office building may be ten stories or more, but you generally don't have interaction between the people on the first and second floor.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

I finished Spec Ops: The Line yesterday evening. I picked it up in the Steam sale after some of you recommended it, and I must say I've thoroughly enjoyed playing the game. I won't say it's the Apocalypse Now of games, but it gets pretty close at times. The atmosphere and setting are quite grim, and I thought the decaying sanity of the main character is portrayed quite well - mainly through small details, such as his cries in combat ("reloading", "tango down", etc.) getting increasingly louder and harsher, and him looking increasingly beat up as the game progresses. What bothered me though was the lack of actual choices by the player. For a story that largely depends on facing the consequences of one's actions, not having any actual influence on those actions diminishes the impact of the consequences.

I do feel that the game could have done with less actual fighting, as strange as that might sound. The act of killing a man in the game starts to feel inconsequential after mowing down waves of mooks. The combat itself did feel good, even though I had a few fights with the cover system. The weapons all feel different, and I'm just a sucker for cover-based combat. It feels so much more real than just running around, bunny-hopping and strafing.

Despite these criticisms, 10/10 for effort. It's still more fascinating and thought-provoking than 99% of the other games I've played over the last few years. If you haven't experienced Spec Ops: The Line yet, I more than recommend playing it for yourself.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    I finished Spec Ops: The Line yesterday evening. *snip*
    Yeah, I agree with the gist of this, I think; I would say it's almost brilliant, and yet simply by virtue of being almost brilliant it kinda... feels brilliant, at times, even if you know it's not. Nolan North's performance as the game goes on actually began to frighten me, he sounds that unhinged, and it's one of the few games to make good use of swearing to reflect someone's emotions, IMO. Puts Killzone to shame.

I don't know that I felt the lack of choices that keenly - only the you-know-what bothered me and that was less about not having a choice than the game not doing a very good job of hiding it. And there are choices, of sorts - have you seen all three endings? (EDIT: It's four, actually, IIRC. Bad ending and good ending with three variations. Must check GameFAQs, it's been a while.) Honestly, though, I think it's a good indication of how much I got riled up over Ian Bogost's asinine article on Bioshock for the New York Review of Books (he says some great, insightful things but some incredibly stupid and self-absorbed stuff, too) - I think the basic question the game is asking you, which it never explicitly says it's asking you until it's too late, so to speak, is a perfectly good one. Clumsily handled, maybe, but still perfectly good. It is okay to say to the player, if you didn't want to be here, why did you even start playing? It is okay to say to the player, look, your interest in the virtual slaughter of hundreds, nay, thousands of brown people and your refusal to think about what that might mean is a reflection of a deeper, darker, worryingly obstinate part of human nature that we should probably talk about more. And it is okay to say to the player, look, if you're not prepared to engage with this kind of thing, perhaps just don't play the game at all, hmm? The Line could have said these things much more eloquently, no argument there, but it's still awesome that it said them at all.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 04-07-2014 at 12:00 PM.
    I post photos here. I write stories here. I'm on Twitter here.

Obscure Node
    Divinity: Original Sin.

RPG of the year candidate, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    And there are choices, of sorts - have you seen all three endings? (EDIT: It's four, actually, IIRC. Bad ending and good ending with three variations. Must check GameFAQs, it's been a while.)
    Yes I have, I tried them all at the end of the last chapter. I felt it was a nice touch to have those different endings, but I would've liked a bit more choice in the rest of the game. The problem with that would probably be that if you play as a "good guy", some of the darker parts of the game would never happen. For instance, at the point where the you-know-what happens, the option to avoid the you-know-what would have drastically altered the course of the rest of the game. I fully agree with you that it's awesome that it does ask some questions, even though it's not perfect.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Wildstar, but again struggling with the MMO formula and choosing a god damned race/class.

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give unto you the maddest of props. You're a god damned super hero.
    *Mostly* harmless

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    The problem with that would probably be that if you play as a "good guy", [the game] would never happen.
    Fixed that for you, hohoho. <_<

It is interesting to think about how The Line could still have worked with more branching paths. I'm not sure quite how the developers could have represented some of the things players would have wanted to do - assuming your squadmates are actually real/alive, what would military regulations expect them to do if you turned around at the start and walked away? And I don't think the game should necessarily have allowed players to do all of those things - but then I have no problem with being railroaded so developers can make a point, at least in certain circumstances, and/or if it's done well enough. If you serve in the military at that level, as I understand it, you are voluntarily surrendering some of your capacity to consider the consequences of your actions ("Shoot that guy!" "Okay"), and if you do choose to take that capacity back ("Shoot that guy!" "...why should I?"), chances are it's not going to go well for you. (Which is not to slander the troops or any such thing - just saying, I'm pretty sure there is no way The Line could ever have had a happy ending that worked, whatever some people might think.)
    I post photos here. I write stories here. I'm on Twitter here.

Quote Originally Posted by Drayk View Post
    Wildstar, but again struggling with the MMO formula and choosing a god damned race/class.
    How is it? Some people are trying to convince me to play it
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    How is it? Some people are trying to convince me to play it
    Think of a combination of the good bits of warcraft and guild wars 2.

If this is your jam, you'll enjoy it, and if this is not your jam, you probably won't. I've been playing it, since I was lucky to get a key from a friend, and I enjoy it - it's a low commitment, low effort theme park, but it's filling that casual game spot very nicely. I have no idea how the dungeon/pvp/raid/whatever late game content pans out, because that's a little too much effort for me, but some of my other friends who do go into it seem to be having fun too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Dunno, I played WoW for quite a while back in the day and enjoy GW2 a lot as well. But Wildstar really didn't do much for me in the beta. Perhaps because, so very much,

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    it's a low commitment, low effort theme park
    It's got some fun combat. The housing is really cool. The world, both in terms of landscape and the 'universe', really didn't do much for me. Nothing I saw would justify the high cost of playing it. It ended up feeling very vacuous.

Finished Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons and was quite surprised how the experience turned out. The controls were a bit confusing at times but nothing too serious. At the same time, the level structure and puzzles were simplistic while the overall theme was quite grim I think. A short but enjoyable ride and I feel that the 3.50 EUR that I payed during the recent sale didn't do it enough justice.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Finished Arkham City. A Mechanically excellent game, superbly produced, but the plot didn't even make a lick of sense which ensured I was left crying Bullshit as often as I was contended noises. The big moment in the end was brave I guess, but without having done anything in the slightest to deserve contemplating it it just pissed me off and seemed lazy above anything else.

Playing Harley's revenge I can't help but feel that was more the way to go, an episodic campaign of maybe four or five self contained chapters in different locales with individual plots, separate charactersm ala a..well, comic I guess. Either that, or plot something tighter with a limited cast rather than trying to shoe-horn every character of vague note in the most hackneyed manner imaginable. If you're going to limit Batman to the iteration where he just solves problems with his fists then something leaner makes sense to me.

It also prevents obvious contradictions emerging eg Batman's moral reticence to fight various big name sociopaths who crop out of out of some sort of honour or empathy, but not hesitating in the slightest to break any number of inmates who have done nothing near as atrocious and outright gloating in his capacity to do so. I know this is now an accepted Batman trope but it's one which is so weak that I can't credit it at all, especially when it's so recent and coming off the back off a history which established Batman as three dimensional rather than nihilsitic super vigilante.

Network Hub
    I'm not trying to pick on you, sonson, but it surprises me that people think this much about story in games, let alone action games. If you asked me about the story in AC, I'd be hard pressed to say anything more than "Batman beating up lots of bad guys, because they did bad things at some point". I could maybe pick out a few scenes here and there, but as a whole it didn't matter to me that it was basically just "A day at work. Today: Batman". If it's engaging enough to drag me from moment to moment, it doesn't really matter to me if looking at the whole thing doesn't make much sense. I mean, it's a game about a wealthy guy, obsessed with bats, wearing a rubber bat suit at night to go and hunt criminals. It made no sense in the first place, so why worry about it now?
    Last edited by DanMan; 05-07-2014 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Think of a combination of the good bits of warcraft and guild wars 2.
    It lacks however the biggest strength of GW2 which is the absence of a subscription fee. Say what you will about GW2 not revolutionizing the genre but this is an aspect no other MMO has managed to achieve before it. I still hope other developers proceed to refine this formula.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    I'm not trying to pick on you, sonson, but it surprises me that people think this much about story in games, let alone action games. If you asked me about the story in AC, I'd be hard pressed to say anything more than "Batman beating up lots of bad guys, because they did bad things at some point". I could maybe pick out a few scenes here and there, but as a whole it didn't matter to me that it was basically just "A day at work. Today: Batman". If it's engaging enough to drag me from moment to moment, it doesn't really matter to me if looking at the whole thing doesn't make much sense. I mean, it's a game about a wealthy guy, obsessed with bats, wearing a rubber bat suit at night to go and hunt criminals. It made no sense in the first place, so why worry about it now?
    Just because video game stories are shit doesn't mean that they should be shit.